Guuthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 3

#1 Guuthulhu
Member since 2005 • 725 Posts
I've encountered such a blasphemous gamer that somehow slipped through the cracks of gaming history, and I'm at a loss. He has disrupted my gaming equilibrium. Part of me wants to start him at the beginning, but that may be a bit much. So, if you were going to introduce Castlevania to someone, which title would you pick?
propyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 propyro
Member since 2005 • 6736 Posts
The easiest way to do this is give them a title that everyone loves and that's Symphony of the Night. But you have to be careful with that, because if you let it go unchecked, your friend will become a SotN fanboy and won't be able to grasp the rest of the games, which are totally different from SotN. For one, the other (older) games actually have some sense of difficulty to them. Lament of Innocence is another title that people can get the hang of fairly easily. As long as they can get past the poor level design. If you want to amaze them with easily accessable music that kicks ass, give them Simons quest and have them spend as much day light time outside towns listening to "Bloody Tears", hell i did a lot of that. Castlevania IV is also a good title, it's difficult, but controlls very well, and the 8 way whip is actually a really big help that will drive people to wonder why it hasn't been in any other Castlevania titles *cough* *cough* *SotN* *Cough* But it really depends on the person and wether they're sucky noobs that can take getting their asses kicked by video games or not.
Guuthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Guuthulhu
This is a guy who once he finds something he really likes, all rational thought disappears and it consumes his soul forever. He'd definitely be all about SotN. :( And actually, it was the soundtrack to Chronicles that got him interested. He didn't believe that game soundtracks even existed. Anyhow, If I had Chronicles, I'd go ahead with that simply because he'd recognize the music. Lament could work if I were going to attempt to dazzle him with pretty 3-d, but I'm too much of a traditionalist and I really wish the levels were different. Since the guy can be really annoying in that he's one of those intellectual-wanna-be's, at my next gaming party I may just sit him down in a corner with an SP and let him pick among those while we big kids break out Carmageddon 3.
propyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 propyro
sounds like your caught between two rocks. Order Chronicles online if you must since it sounds like your only safe bet.
Avatar image for dwellerofrhymes
dwellerofrhymes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 dwellerofrhymes
Member since 2004 • 4163 Posts

I continually hype Castlevania III to those unfamiliar with the series for no reason other than that it's awesome, and that's good enough for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
deactivated-5992048d2d5ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
Member since 2005 • 5165 Posts
I have a few friends that I've tried to get into CV but they are ignorant and stick to FPS games. I'd probably go with either SCV4 or CV3.
Guuthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Guuthulhu
Since he had a SNES, I'm going hook it up to one of the small televisions floating around the apartment. Looks like IV is the winning ticket, for now. I can scale him up or down based on his interest level. I just have to make sure my SNES collection is out of sight, or he'll jump right into Donkey Kong Country. That's his favorite-of-all-time platformer.
propyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 propyro
Donkey kong country ... the faux 3D platformer that was the SNES"s last ditch to get graphic fanboys on their side in the face of the playstation and saturn?
Avatar image for Project_Nemesis
Project_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Project_Nemesis
Member since 2003 • 5959 Posts
i started with Circle of the Moon. if you happen to have a GBA or if your friend does that should be a good start.
Guuthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Guuthulhu
Donkey kong country ... the faux 3D platformer that was the SNES"s last ditch to get graphic fanboys on their side in the face of the playstation and saturn?propyro

Yes... That game.

He didn't like any of the Castlevania games I exposed him too. He hated the concept, hated the music, and basically... it wasn't Donkey Kong Country.... I don't think I want have him in my house ever again.
Avatar image for deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
deactivated-5992048d2d5ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 deactivated-5992048d2d5ba
Member since 2005 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="propyro"]Donkey kong country ... the faux 3D platformer that was the SNES"s last ditch to get graphic fanboys on their side in the face of the playstation and saturn?Guuthulhu

Yes... That game.

He didn't like any of the Castlevania games I exposed him too. He hated the concept, hated the music, and basically... it wasn't Donkey Kong Country.... I don't think I want have him in my house ever again.

Ditching Castlevania for Donkey Kong...now that's just wrong!!!!!

propyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 propyro
Yes... That game.

Guuthulhu
Was your friend dropped as a child? How can any one not like the music ... most of it is so well done. ANd what the he'lls wrong with the concept? A family has been dedicated to the task of destroying evil everytime it surfaces, they rely on the power of an enchanted/blessed/cursed whip to strike evil down, and they do so every time without fail. What the hell's wrong with that concept? Poor you, having to deal with some one like htat.
Guuthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Guuthulhu

Was your friend dropped as a child? How can any one not like the music ... most of it is so well done. ANd what the he'lls wrong with the concept? A family has been dedicated to the task of destroying evil everytime it surfaces, they rely on the power of an enchanted/blessed/cursed whip to strike evil down, and they do so every time without fail. What the hell's wrong with that concept? Poor you, having to deal with some one like htat.propyro

Apparently a big, ugly, mad ape that just had his banana hoard stolen is much more interesting than taking up the family business destroying sophisticated vampires in their gothic haunts.

I think I'll just take my Donkey Kong Country back and let him raid someone else's collection.