Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin has been released!

RockmanSRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RockmanSRD
Member since 2004 • 5067 Posts

GameSpot rated it 8.3, you can check the review out here.

Has anyone gotten their copy yet?  Does anyone have any first impressions they would like to share?

I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts about the pre-order bonuses.  I've already talked to at least one person that was not able to get their wax-sealed box because the store's supply ran out.  What do you think of the soundtrack disc?

venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 venus577
Member since 2003 • 1555 Posts

I've only put a few hours in so far, but I'm impressed with what I see. I like that Jonathan can equip BOTH whips and swords. Gives the player a choice between the style of the whip-wielding Belmonts and Soma/Alucard sharp-object finesse. I was afraid that a second character would kill the difficulty (like the Innocent Devils did to Curse of Darkness), but it's still there. Although I haven't died durring a stage, it took me a few tries before I managed to defeat Dullahan (the first boss) by the skin of my teeth. Very pleased. I find it odd that IGA decided to go with a greater than 100% map completion again. It's not 200% like it was in Symphony, it's now 1000%!!!! The game doesn't even try to hide it either. I've only defeated the first boss and I'm already past 100%. Weird.

The bonus package is nice, though not as over the top nice as I thought.  The case for Dawn of Sorrow & Portrait of Ruin is only slightly bigger than the 2 DS cards.  I was hoping for more.  The time-line is nice, but for whatever reason, games that were removed from the series are still on there.  Circle of the Moon, CV64, Legacy of Darkness, & Castlevania Legend have just their name and date present, as opposed to a mini-story synopsis for the rest of the games.  The stylus is nice, although it feels a bit flimsy when extended.  I'm hoping that it doesn't matter as the extension will just be resting on my hand when in use.  Makes the stylus much more comfortable to use.  Too bad the game doesn't really use the stylus.  I haven't had a chance to listen to the CD yet, but I must say I'm impressed with the track list.  Tracks like Abandoned Castle from CoD, The Silence of the Daylight from Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, and Corridor from Aria of Sorrow are all wonderful choices.  I"m very pleased with it.

bladeswinger77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bladeswinger77
Member since 2005 • 98 Posts
im sorta disapointed
after playing dawn of sorrow, and  having the cool soul collecting feature, PoR is a little dry. also, they recycled like, half the monsters from DoS also. while i like having two characters, it reminds me of the extreamly boring julius mode from DoS, where you could change characters, but it was pointless to use other characters than your fighter. having a new vampire hunter (its been reused quite often), he doesnt really have a lot of character. mabey if they make a sequel, he'll be more interesting
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#4 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
I beat it today, and while i liked it, it just wasnt as exciting as past games. The locales and enemys were all so generic... I really hope they get rid of Iga.
Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
Asked for it for Christmas, can't wait.
venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 venus577
im sorta disapointed
after playing dawn of sorrow, and  having the cool soul collecting feature, PoR is a little dry. also, they recycled like, half the monsters from DoS also. while i like having two characters, it reminds me of the extreamly boring julius mode from DoS, where you could change characters, but it was pointless to use other characters than your fighter. having a new vampire hunter (its been reused quite often), he doesnt really have a lot of character. mabey if they make a sequel, he'll be more interestingbladeswinger77
Unfortunately, enemy recycling has become a Castlevania tradition. Prime example is the Armor Knight. It's a knight wearing purple armor that attacks with a spear. He's been using the same sprite ever since Dracula X: Rondo of Blood back in 1993!
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 falconclan
[QUOTE="bladeswinger77"]im sorta disapointed
after playing dawn of sorrow, and having the cool soul collecting feature, PoR is a little dry. also, they recycled like, half the monsters from DoS also. while i like having two characters, it reminds me of the extreamly boring julius mode from DoS, where you could change characters, but it was pointless to use other characters than your fighter. having a new vampire hunter (its been reused quite often), he doesnt really have a lot of character. mabey if they make a sequel, he'll be more interestingvenus577
Unfortunately, enemy recycling has become a Castlevania tradition. Prime example is the Armor Knight. It's a knight wearing purple armor that attacks with a spear. He's been using the same sprite ever since Dracula X: Rondo of Blood back in 1993!

Yeah, tons and tons of sprites were taken from rondo of blood. The golem, armor knight, the razor bat... i mean, like... there are literally too many to name in one post v_v
Avatar image for qwertyuioppizza
qwertyuioppizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 qwertyuioppizza
Member since 2005 • 5300 Posts
I beat it. I really liked it actually. Mainly because of the fact that the bosses aren't quite as easy as they have been in the past few games.
venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 venus577
I beat it. I really liked it actually. Mainly because of the fact that the bosses aren't quite as easy as they have been in the past few games.qwertyuioppizza
They really aren't. Back to that fight with Dullahan, I had Jonathan slashing and Charlotte spamming the stone drop spell. I was out of MP (and therefore, out of Charlotte) and low enough on HP that his weakest hit would have killed me. I had resigned myself to yet another game over when surprisingly, I finally killed him. I can't say I remember the last time that happened in a Castlevania game, if ever.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 falconclan
[QUOTE="qwertyuioppizza"]I beat it. I really liked it actually. Mainly because of the fact that the bosses aren't quite as easy as they have been in the past few games.venus577
They really aren't. Back to that fight with Dullahan, I had Jonathan slashing and Charlotte spamming the stone drop spell. I was out of MP (and therefore, out of Charlotte) and low enough on HP that his weakest hit would have killed me. I had resigned myself to yet another game over when surprisingly, I finally killed him. I can't say I remember the last time that happened in a Castlevania game, if ever.

Are you guys being serious when you say the game was hard? Dracula was a complete pushover. It took me all of 6 hours to beat it :(.
Avatar image for qwertyuioppizza
qwertyuioppizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 qwertyuioppizza
Member since 2005 • 5300 Posts
[QUOTE="venus577"][QUOTE="qwertyuioppizza"]I beat it. I really liked it actually. Mainly because of the fact that the bosses aren't quite as easy as they have been in the past few games.falconclan

Are you guys being serious when you say the game was hard? Dracula was a complete pushover. It took me all of 6 hours to beat it :(.

I didn't say it was hard. Just harder than previous installments. And yeah, Dracula was to easy. And I laughed when Gameinformer was complaining about how ridiculously hard the game was.
venus577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 venus577
As long as Dracula isn't as hard as he was in Circle of the Moon, I'll be happy. That game sat on my shelf for 2 years at the final battle just because I couldn't beat him!
Rolovis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rolovis
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts
Beat it a couple days ago. It was pretty fun, but i had to get some Ancient armor from the Old Axe Armors to beat true Dracula.
Doodles214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Doodles214
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I, Doodles214 have purchesed it. It rocks.