felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts

Weekly Discussion is a concept that every week ,starting now, there will be a new topic to discuss. The topic will be chosen by different members, going down the list. Since I'm first on the member list I will start first.

"Religious Differences between family". Have any of you had any conflict with friends or family because of your religious or atheistic beliefs? Discuss.

P.S Credit to Strategist for the idea on "The Communist Party" union.

McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 McManus107
Member since 2008 • 6356 Posts
It's kinda funny for me because half my family don' belive i'm an atheist and the other half just don't care at all
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 felixlynch777

It's kinda funny for me because half my family don' belive i'm an atheist and the other half just don't care at allMcManus107

Well it's sort of like that with me, my family are fine with me being an atheist, whereas my friends at my old church are not so welcoming, the only one that wasn't offended was the preist. The rest are pretty closed-minded and don't look upon atheists so well.

McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 McManus107
It's weird how it's all my friends that have an issue with me being an atheist and yet only two of them go to church
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 felixlynch777

It's weird how it's all my friends that have an issue with me being an atheist and yet only two of them go to church McManus107

I don't know, poeple just try to pick out things they consider bad in people.

McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 McManus107
no,I think it's down to people that just want to be right when it comes to religion
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 felixlynch777

no,I think it's down to people that just want to be right when it comes to religionMcManus107

Sometimes religious matters can turn reasonable people into pig-headed fanatics.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Friends, not really. They tend to understand how much I've studied the subject. My parents are OK, my dad's a closet Atheist, he'll never admit it. My wife is ok, again she understands how much I've thought on the subject, but my wife's traditional Catholic mother hates it, and by extension me. But we rarely see her so it's no big deal. I had a much bigger problem at 21 or so than now, everyone just thought it was a "phase".
McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 McManus107
yeah,have my family calls it a "phase" i'm going through,like it's impossible for someone in their family to not believe what they do.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

My dad doesn't mind, like btaylor I think my dad is a closet Atheist as well. My mom doesn't like me talking about my reasons for being an Atheist, and I've made her cry on one occasion (made me feel ultra bad) by discussing how manipulative bringing up a child into a religion is (I now understand it was her trying to do her best for me, and to a point I can agree).

I really only have two very close friends IRL, and they are Christians but they don't mind since they've been through the same education as I have and can see the point. One in fact is very funny about it, he says "Ok, if I'm wrong and you're right nothing happens to me after I die. But if I'm right and you're wrong, you're in a worse position than I am." Which is ultra funny because if there was a God you'd think he would know if a person was just paying lip service just in case :lol:

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts
My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts

yeah,have my family calls it a "phase" i'm going through,like it's impossible for someone in their family to not believe what they do.McManus107

Eh, it's the same feeling someone fells when a person you know turns out radically different from you would expect. Your world falls apart, atleast just a little bit. It seems there taking it wrong, pretending it's something it isn't is always wrong.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.JLCrogue

Why in the world do you want to join this society? Just to be able to call yourself a Free Mason? My grandfather was one. All they did was get together every week or so to play cards and drink.....

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
Yeah, I have had many conflicts over this before. I was a "closet" Atheist since I was 10, when I was 14 I came out about it to my family and got a lot of flak for it. Mostly because they are Christians and gave me heck over it because they wanted to save my "soul". They also had a lot of problems with how if I was an atheist, would I just start being evil or something? They didn't understand that you could be both an Atheist and moral(that's subjective though). Religion and morality are not mutually exclusive. When I was 17 I came out about it to my friends and I lost a lot of friends over it, but I found out who my true friends were from it too.
JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLCrogue

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.SimpJee

Why in the world do you want to join this society? Just to be able to call yourself a Free Mason? My grandfather was one. All they did was get together every week or so to play cards and drink.....

enlightenment/knowledge

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 felixlynch777

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.SimpJee

That sounds like fun to me!

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 STWELCH
[QUOTE="SimpJee"]

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.felixlynch777

Considering people go to Church to compare clothing and socialize...so that isn't too bad.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="SimpJee"]

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.STWELCH

Considering people go to Church to compare clothing and socialize...so that isn't too bad.

Yeah, when I used to go it was okay. A lot of talking and smoking at the end, which I liked!

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="SimpJee"]

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.felixlynch777

Yeah, when I used to go it was okay. A lot of talking and smoking at the end, which I liked!

Smoking of all types is bad, just ask Mr Crogue!!
Uxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Uxal
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

My mothers and Fathers sides of the family are 70% catholic and 30% Deists from what I have asked while I was overseas.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="SimpJee"]

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.THUMPTABLE

[QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="SimpJee"]

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.THUMPTABLE

Not cannabis, cigarettes. I've heard the whole smoking is bad thing for ages but I've been smoking for 6 years now.

sleepychicken5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sleepychicken5
Member since 2005 • 1224 Posts

That's what he told you. [scary background music]

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="SimpJee"]

Not cannabis, cigarettes. I've heard the whole smoking is bad thing for ages but I've been smoking for 6 years now.

Was in London 2 months ago, scary how many people smoke there and disgusting too (no offense)
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="SimpJee"]

Was in London 2 months ago, scary how many people smoke there and disgusting too (no offense)

None taken.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JLCrogue

Yeah, tobacco causes brain damage.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 felixlynch777
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="SimpJee"]

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]My family doesn't know my religious beliefs, especially when they've changed a lot recently. I can't join the Free Masons if I'm an atheist, so I've decided to label myself a pantheist.JLCrogue

Yeah, tobacco causes brain damage.

I think he means cannabis.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JLCrogue

I think he means cannabis.

felixlynch777

I'm sure he was, because he's talking about me, but I'm talking about you and tobacco. Personally, I think cigarettes taste like crap, but I do like to smoke out of a hookah sometimes. It can be pretty damn harsh, because you're using water to filter the smoke instead of a regular filter.

flavored tobacco > cigarette tobacco

Draconis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Draconis
Member since 2002 • 2790 Posts
When my grandmother heard that I left the Catholic church and became a Protestant she took away my trust fund for college
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 STWELCH

When my grandmother heard that I left the Catholic church and became a Protestant she took away my trust fund for collegeDraconis

Oh My God......that's terrible.

Did you make it through alright?

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 felixlynch777

When my grandmother heard that I left the Catholic church and became a Protestant she took away my trust fund for collegeDraconis

:oThat's disgusting. Sometimes religion can turn even the nicest people into ignorant fanatics. How did you manage college though?

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 STWELCH

[QUOTE="Draconis"]When my grandmother heard that I left the Catholic church and became a Protestant she took away my trust fund for collegefelixlynch777

:oThat's disgusting. Sometimes religion can turn even the nicest people into ignorant fanatics. How did you manage college though?

I would say that's a trait, looked at from a religious perspective, of the fallen state of humanity.

Draconis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Draconis
Member since 2002 • 2790 Posts
I was able to manage college by working a lot more, it wasn't easy but I made it through. My parents also helped out even though they didn't save up for my college since they were going on the assumption that the trust fund would pay for it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
All but two people think that I'm a Christian. I guess going to church every week doesn't really help that situation. I'm not very open with my agnosticism, simply because I don't think it's a good indicator of someone's characteristics.
sleepychicken5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sleepychicken5
Member since 2005 • 1224 Posts

All but two people think that I'm a Christian. I guess going to church every week doesn't really help that situation. I'm not very open with my agnosticism, simply because I don't think it's a good indicator of someone's characteristics.Genetic_Code

Personally I think it's a good indicator of charactor. It shows your free-thinking, yet not pretentious enough to beleive you understand the universe. Then again my perspective is somewhat biased.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

My grandparents are devout Christians; my grandfather always wears this 'Jesus Lives' button badge on his jacket.

Mum and dad believe...I think...and sister doesn't seem overly fussed.

I've no idea about any of my other relatives, but it amuses me how closed minded mum and sister (and sometimes dad) can be. If there's ever a mention of Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons, they're super quick to tell me that they're "crazy" or something along those lines...as if protestant Christianity is any more credible, or likely, in the slightest. :roll:

Sister knows that I'm atheist and I think dad does to a lesser extent. I don't really go talking about it though because it'd only cause a fuss.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I don't know most of my family's beleifs at all. I know my pop and mum, and possibly my dad are christian but as for the rest of the family I have no idea. Its not an issue we really discuss.
Junkie_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Junkie_man
Member since 2008 • 1219 Posts
I can't think of a single member of my family who is theistic, apart from my aunt's husband who is a not particularly devout muslim liable to get the prayer mat out when it's his turn to do the dishes. The rest are all atheist/agnostic.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I think I'm the only atheist in my entire family apart from my elder brother.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

My parents are methodists. My dad never goes to church, and he doesn't seem to have a strong faith. He seems like a P wager guy based on discussions on the subject. He has said that my mother is christian enough for my whole family. At one point he stated that i was not allowed to leave the church as long as i lived in his house.

In a general social sence being an agnostic atheist isn't a big deal here. Norway is a pretty secular country. Despite the fact that church, and state aren't seperated, yet.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

This is actually something that I've been devoting a lot of thought to lately. As you probably know, I am an agnostic atheist, but the rest of my family (especially my mom) are Roman Catholic. Like Genetic_Code, only a few know what I really think about religion, and going to mass weekly sure doesn't point them in the right direction. I was talking to my former chess teacher, and he said that I am going through a development cycle where I am breaking down everything I have learned and been taught, and am re-evaluating it. He said that everyone has dealt with it at one point or another, and I probably feel pretty evil or something right now, but that I shouldn't because it's perfectly normal. Anyway, he recommended that I read City Of God by Saint Augustine and some other books by Albert Camus, and talk to my dad about it.

But I'm not sure if I should actually bring this up with my family. My mom is super-devout, and I have a hard time imagining her being understanding. I don't want to cause her pain of any sort, and I feel that bringing this up would only do that. Then again, 'living a lie' can't be good either. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions (especially based off of personal experience)?

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

But I'm not sure if I should actually bring this up with my family. My mom is super-devout, and I have a hard time imagining her being understanding. I don't want to cause her pain of any sort, and I feel that bringing this up would only do that. Then again, 'living a lie' can't be good either. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions (especially based off of personal experience)?

Forerunner-117

If you are not comfortable talking about this with your family, don't. Unrest in a family is a bad thing, most of the time. I am saying this from personal experience. Try to talk about this with someone else who wouldn't make a big deal out of this.  

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts
My family's pretty much all "Christians who don't go to church" nowadays, although my mom's family used to attend a Lutheran Church. My parents are somewhat aware of it. They've been starting to notice that I've been making negative comments toward Christianity within the past year or so. They try to ignore it, I think, because they haven't confronted me about it yet.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Forerunner-117

If you are not comfortable talking about this with your family, don't. Unrest in a family is a bad thing, most of the time. I am saying this from personal experience. Try to talk about this with someone else who wouldn't make a big deal out of this.  

7guns

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been thinking; I don't want to create unrest. On the other hand, I get so tired of "play acting" if you will, that I just really am confused about what would be best not only for me, but for the rest of my family too. I mean, eventually it's going to come out (if I get married, have kids, etc.), right? Would waiting make it worse? Hard to say. I guess I'll have to talk to some people and get some advice from multiple sources.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 7guns
[QUOTE="7guns"]

Forerunner-117

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been thinking; I don't want to create unrest. On the other hand, I get so tired of "play acting" if you will, that I just really am confused about what would be best not only for me, but for the rest of my family too. I mean, eventually it's going to come out (if I get married, have kids, etc.), right? Would waiting make it worse? Hard to say. I guess I'll have to talk to some people and get some advice from multiple sources.

One thing I can tell you is it's very likely the truth will come out one day for better or for worse and you may not be able to keep peace on both ends. So be ready!

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Forerunner-117
[QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="7guns"]

7guns

One thing I can tell you is it's very likely the truth will come out one day for better or for worse and you may not be able to keep peace on both ends. So be ready!

Yeah, you're probably right. Funny, I never expected that I would be the one to create dissent in my family. :?

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 7guns

Yeah, you're probably right. Funny, I never expected that I would be the one to create dissent in my family. :?

Forerunner-117

Believe me, it happens to a lot of people!

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Forerunner-117
Ah well, that's life I suppose. :P
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I think most of my family are Christians. My gradfather(mother's side) only converted just before he passed away though, but my gradmother converted afther a while my gradfather passed away.