Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I've always wondered how religion/God can hold people to such strict moral standards when there is so much difference from one person to the next. For example, there are some very seriously mentally ill people in the world who commit atrocious acts. The man in Canada who beheaded the guy on the bus and then proceeded to eat him in front of everyone else was obviously very messed up in the head.

Now how is that fair when he dies he will face eternal torment in hell, absence of God, what have you, for something that hindered his ability to think straight? Disease of the mind is just as real as disease of the body, yet there is ultimate judgement coming equal to all when the playing field is not the same. I'm not excusing his or anyone else's behavior, but to hold everyone who is so different to the same level is unfair and unjust.

Thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I'm of the opinion that these arguments are rather useless because we don't know God no matter how much can pretend we do and that ultimately, if there is a God, that He will determine the man's fate and it doesn't matter what opinion we hold of God based on the Bible, what we were taught by our parents, or by the perverted image that Hollywood portrays God as. Since it's not my belief system, I don't hold Christians accountable to it, or any other religion this could be pertaining to.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Well first of all great to see you here Rekunta. On your question. If I believed in God I would have to think the seriously mentally ill would be forgiven, perhaps they could not even take the steps necessary to become Christian because of their delusions. But again, not believing in God, he's in the same boat as the rest of us, hes' just really messed up.
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts

Since I don't feel like going into my very long and boring views on this subject, I'll just say the Catholic Church has a decent explanation.

For sins to be "mortal" they must be commited with full intention and awareness of what you are doing; people with mental diseases don't have the second one.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Since I don't feel like going into my very long and boring views on this subject, I'll just say the Catholic Church has a decent explanation.

For sins to be "mortal" they must be commited with full intention and awareness of what you are doing; people with mental diseases don't have the second one.

STWELCH

Makes sense to me, probably should have asked my Catholic wife on that one.

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts

STWELCH

I'll give a thumbs up to the CC there. A very fair concept in my opinion.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Mm. The idea of Hell is one of the cruelest concepts in religion. Certainly not something a loving God would do.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="STWELCH"]

felixlynch777

Hmm... while it's certainly fairer than other concepts of sin (coughTCWUcough), I don't see why anyone deserves eternal punishment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

I don't beleive in the view that when we die we are forced to stick to the beleifs we had on earth when we come before God. That isn't fair. When we die we will either await judgement and be given the choice to follow God or not. Or we will be taken to God straight away and given the choice, its up to you whether to accept it.

As for that man, if he had no control over himself he might be justified and exempt, but I do not know that is up to God to decide. All deserve to be forgiven, unless they don't want it, in that case they cannot be forgiven.

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 STWELCH
[QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="STWELCH"]

Funky_Llama

Hmm... while it's certainly fairer than other concepts of sin (coughTCWUcough), I don't see why anyone deserves eternal punishment.

Neither do I, and to speculate as....some other fellow Christians of mine do on the issue of individual salvation is outside the bounds of what humans are capable of.

Even though I don't consider myself a Catholic Christian anymore (Thinking about Anglicanism or Mennonite) the social ethics (like the economy, structure of society, basic human rights) that the Catholic Church espouses is surprisingly accurate of the social conditions of man, and their proper remedies.

I do think they need to redo their contraception protocols, and atleast look at the area of homosexual ethics, but overall, the Catholic Church's capacity for positive social change is immense.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

I thought I would include this list from a KKK website just to show the amount of times that they refer to themselves as a christian organization.  I would expect that they believe what they say, they worship a christian god, they judge all the people and things they think god does, they think they should spread their message to others (how I first came across this, someone was evangelizing), if others tell them their beliefs are wrong (in biblical or secular terms) they will ignore, misdirect to verses that support them, or pretend that you are simply wrong.  One might very easily conclude their deep faith in what is right in wrong in god's eyes gives them free reign to judge and act as they see fit.

Here are twenty reasons why
you should join or support the IKA:

1) Because it is a Christian organization!

2) Because it is an organization governed by it's membership.

3) Because it is a dedicated and just organization working for our children's future.

4) Because it is a working organization which not only talks the talk, but also walks the walk.

5) Because it is a secret organization, and no one will ever know that you are a member.

6) Because it is a legal organization and no one can be prosecuted for being a member.

7) Because it is a politically independent organization and opposes any thing, person or organization that is un-American.

8) Because it is an organization that is pro-American and opposes any thing, person or organization that is un-American.

9) Because it is an organization that is sworn to uphold the lawful Constitution of the United States.

10) Because it is composed of (Aryan) White Gentile Citizens, who are of sound mind and good moral character.

11) Because the goals of the Imperial Klans of America are total segregation of all the non-white races, and communism in all its forms.

12) Because the Ku Klux Klan has twice saved our nation from destruction, as history clearly records and can't hide.

13) Because there are today, many alien forces entering into the United States as well as every other country, bent upon its destruction and a One World Order.

14) Because there comes a time in every persons life when he/she must choose between the right or wrong in life.

15) Because the I.K.A. informs its membership, and an informed citizen is a good citizen of this country or any other country.

16) Because a Christian brotherhood among our race must be revived to help save the world from the powers that be.

17) Because one of the goals of the I.K.A. is states' rights and states' sovereignty as well as other countries' rights to do as they see fit.

18) Because neither the conservatives nor the liberals will ever save our Nation, for Patriots have always saved our nations in the past.

19) Because it is clear now that if communism is to be defeated in America and the world, it will be done by Christian Patriots from all over the world.

20) Because the I.K.A. needs your help today, to fight the battle that will be our children's future of tomorrow.

These are just a few reasons why you should want to become a Christian Patriot. It's up to each and everyone of us to see that our children have a place in the sun. If you don't want to join an organization, there are many ways one can help without becoming a member of any organization.

Imperial Klans of America

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 STWELCH

Considering Jesus would have been an Arabic man, I find those types of things hilarious.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

Considering Jesus would have been an Arabic man, I find those types of things hilarious.

STWELCH

I am with you, the whole thing seems silly to me also.  But I am unsure whether I think it is funny or sad is how some others have no problem dismissing these faith based predjudices and judgments but then follow the same method to produce their own.