btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
No long drawn out story here, we all know the basics of Israel & Palestine.  But with recent events happening in the Gaza Strip, I wanted to know what you all think of the situation.  I for one am sick of it.  They've disagreed for 1400 years or so, and need to come to some sort of agreement, I know they've been close in the past, but one or the other always screws it up at the last second.  Any thoughts?
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Unfortunately I think we have to still back up Israel, although I think we should reduce the amount of money we give them.  All this money does is fuel the war between the two.

If this was Walgreens we could go back in time and try to prevent Israel from ever being formed, but we can't.  So in this situation, Israel is a strategic ally in the Middle East, and we have to help them continue their democracy.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Like always, Israel has got a little heavy handed, but I would still say they are doing what's neccesary.

Hamas is an organisation with the prime purpose of destroying Israel, any nation with any sense of self preservation knows that the best thing to do is to kill them, before they kill us, so to speak.

Alter_Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Alter_Ego
Member since 2002 • 884 Posts

Let's hope this time, Israel will be allowed to finish the job, unlike in 2006.  But then again, Israel shouldn't need the world's permission to defend themselves. 

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 btaylor2404
While we're all in agreement on Hamas, do none of you think Israel needs to make concessions for Palestine?  I think somehow Palestine should have a state/nation again.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 helium_flash

I think Israel should make a state in it that is reserved for the Palestinians.

But I doubt that would solve anything.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
I think Israel as it stands is just asking for it, they're a country built on discriminating everyone who isn't Jewish basically. Non jews do not get to vote at all, they don't get a say. The Palestinians are just as bad though, since they want the Israeli's land because it's holy to them as well. It's all just ridiculous.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

If I was the head hauncho right now, I'd pull 90% of our support (financially) for Israel and tell them to solve the problems if they want to survive.

The Israeli Palestinian conflict has done nothing but hurt everyone, and honestly I think the world would be better off without those two. And I don't mean to be bigoted or Anti-Semetic, I'm fine with the people but the states themselves cause so much trouble and misery that they're just not worth keeping around.

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts
The Israeli state was arbitrarily made on guilt and religious grounds out of Palestinian territory; Palestine needs to be given more than the finger by the world governments, considering how screwed over they have been.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
I think the usa should stop meddling in other counties events because to me such interferences aim at something other than peace, which is the profit. I don't really believe in such "good intentions".
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts

I strongly oppose Israel. I really really don't like them. This thread is a good indication of my views:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26454431&union_id=344 

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 felixlynch777

Let's hope this time, Israel will be allowed to finish the job, unlike in 2006.  But then again, Israel shouldn't need the world's permission to defend themselves. Alter_Ego

Yep so we can see more of this. 

felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 felixlynch777

Let's hope this time, Israel will be allowed to finish the job, unlike in 2006.  But then again, Israel shouldn't need the world's permission to defend themselves. 

Alter_Ego

Believe me if you've had the misfortune of seeing a palestinian refugee camp, like me,  you wouldn't even think about supporting Israel.

Alter_Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alter_Ego
Member since 2002 • 884 Posts
[QUOTE="Alter_Ego"]

felixlynch777

Believe me if you've had the misfortune of seeing a palestinian refugee camp, like me,  you wouldn't even think about supporting Israel.

Who is really at fault for those camps?  Israel, who gives full citizenship to all arabs who walk up and ask for it?  Or could it be the palestinian leaders, who steal all the foreign aid money and use it for terrorist training and (quite successful) propaganda?  Or perhaps all of the neighboring arab nations are also at fault, for stuffing the palestinian people into these camps, rather than welcoming them with open arms?  The land of Israel makes up less than 1/5 of 1% of all the land in the middle east.  To a muslim who has been told from birth that killing as many jews as possible is a requirement for salvation, obtaining living space is certainly the least of their concerns.  The "land was stolen by zionists" argument falls apart when you realize that fact.  

To get a bit back more on the current topic, the simple truth is that if Hamas wasn't firing rockets into Israeli civilian population areas, Israel would have had no reason for retaliating.   The only difference between what happened during the cease fire and after the cease fire was how many rockets were launched.  It's unfortunate, but the only options Hamas has left Israel is to die or go to war. 

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="Alter_Ego"]

Let's hope this time, Israel will be allowed to finish the job, unlike in 2006. But then again, Israel shouldn't need the world's permission to defend themselves. felixlynch777

That's an appeal to emotions fallacy.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 btaylor2404
Wow, this brought out some strong thoughts. I for one am sick of it all.  Palestine needs a state, Israel needs a state. Israel obviously can defend herself where she's at, just make room somewhere there for Palestine.  One problem I have is Islamic states **** about Israel, but never offering any of their boarding land to increase the size of Palestine.  Felix I tried to follow your link and it led back here.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
[QUOTE="felixlynch777"][QUOTE="Alter_Ego"]

Let's hope this time, Israel will be allowed to finish the job, unlike in 2006. But then again, Israel shouldn't need the world's permission to defend themselves. MetalGear_Ninty

That's an appeal to emotions fallacy.

you DO realize that happens in EVERY war in modern times...right?
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
[QUOTE="Alter_Ego"]

felixlynch777

Don't you think that if you'd seen the same in Israel you'd be saying just the same thing? :) 

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 danwallacefan

From what I've heard (mainly from Michael medved and major Michael Oren), I have to say that Israel is defending itself against a group of crazy fanatics. Here are a few of my reasons

1: Up until a month ago, Gaza WAS an independent state. They had free elections in 2006, and they elected a group of psychos to their legislature.

2: When Israeli Troops pulled out of Gaza in 2005, Hamas lunatics started launching rocket attacks the day after Israel pulled out, and have been launching Qassam rockets into Israel every day.

3: since the Oslo accords, over 1000 Israelis have died as a result of suicide attacks conducted by Hamas

4: Hamas has recieved many billions of dollars in foreign aid, most especially from the Iranians. Rather than invest that in economic growth, they have invested all of it in missiles. Hamas really has only one goal and that is to kill Israeli civilians

5: Hamas is violating the rules of war. One instance is the use of UN marked ambulences as troop and munitions transports

6: all that being said, the blockade is necessary. They are blockading a terrorist state. Regarding the blockade, there has been a story circulating about an Israeli missile boat ramming an "aid boat", that's simply not true. According to Major Oren, the "aid boat" rammed the missile boat and the missile boat sustained more damage. That being said, the IDF has better ways to destroy surface vessels than ramming them with multi-million dollar missile boats.

Now regarding the creation of Israel, since 1600 there has been a Jewish majority in Jerusalem. The land given to the Jews in the Bulfour agreement had a Jewish majority. The goal of this war in Gaza is to stop indiscriminate hamas rocket fire against Israeli civilians (which IS illegal thanks to the Geneva convention). Israel is clearly defending itself and I strongly support here in this war.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 danwallacefan

helium_flash
you do realize that they gave the Palestinians an independent state in 2005 when they pulled out right?
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 helium_flash
As someone said on another board, I say we just let them duke it out. Nobody did anything when Russian invaded Georgia as well. I don't think this is any different.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

danwallacefan
you do realize that they gave the Palestinians an independent state in 2005 when they pulled out right?

I forgot about that. I never really kept up with Israeli-Palestinian relations.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
It is not Israelians or Palestinians who are the enemy, it's the fear on both sides. Israel is playing with fire right now though, Iran is watching and the moment they enter the game it all goes into the sewer.
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

you DO realize that happens in EVERY war danwallacefan

kinda fixed

sadly we still don't have "terrorist seeking missiles" so civilian casaulties are to be expected, especialy with the way hamas is fighthing, they are basicly hiding behind civilians. Israel has throwen billions into the research and development of weapons that try to minimize civilian casaulties, sadly that still don't make them disapear.

and honestly, I don't see an end to the conflict till one of the sides is dead, it's just to much of a **** right now, for diplomacy to have any meaningfull effect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I support israel on the grounds that its fighting a terrorist organisation, but I can't fully support them because of the death of civilians.