nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendogamer6
Member since 2006 • 1772 Posts

Iv been dating my girlfriend for about 8 months now and she still assumes im christian. I've been wanting to tell her for awhile but im afraid it will freak her out, where I come from atheism is almost a curse word...

The good news is she not a "bible beater", she more just identifies herself as christian and goes through the motion because its the only reality she knows. But I have heard her speak negatively about atheist in the past (awkward).  

Just wondering what experience any of you guys may have had? 

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I'd just level with her man. If she is the one you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

It's a shame about where you're living. There are plenty of available women here with no belief in any deitiy/ies.

Besides, would you really have wanted to live a lie your whole life? Wouldn't it be cooler to have a non-believing partner with whom you can make jokes about religion? I don't know though, maybe she is just amazing for you.

I'm not from your whereabouts so my advice might be a complete culture shock. If you choose the advice of another, no sweat man.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
Just start off with " So tell me. Why oh why oh why do you believe in some supreme being lording over us when there is absolutely no evidence for it? " Then go on from there
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I don't think I'd come straight out because it can be jarring for people who are religious even if they aren't devout. I would let out the info over a period of days/weeks rather than in one sitting. I would try to be as natural about it as possible using opportunities that may arise to let out bits and pieces about how you feel until the pieces can be fit together. This is the approach I've used. If you do it right they'll already have a good idea about your beliefs before the right time comes up to say it directly. People seem to take it better this way. At least in my experience.

Hope this helps. My wife and everyone else I'm surrounded by is Christian as well...

nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nintendogamer6

I don't think I'd come straight out because it can be jarring for people who are religious even if they aren't devout. I would let out the info over a period of days/weeks rather than in one sitting. I would try to be as natural about it as possible using opportunities that may arise to let out bits and pieces about how you feel until the pieces can be fit together. This is the approach I've used. If you do it right they'll already have a good idea about your beliefs before the right time comes up to say it directly. People seem to take it better this way. At least in my experience.

Hope this helps. My wife and everyone else I'm surrounded by is Christian as well...

junglist101

Thats kinda the approach iv been taking but its not really seeming to get through...everyone around me and everyone I know is assumed to be christian, its the only thing these people know (which really gets under my skin). But I think your right, I guess ill keep trying a little more before I come out and say it.

So is your wife a big christian? Like goes to church every sunday and prays before every meal type?

And what about your kids? What do you guys teach them? (if you dont mind me asking) 

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

nintendogamer6

Thats kinda the approach iv been taking but its not really seeming to get through...everyone around me and everyone I know is assumed to be christian, its the only thing these people know (which really gets under my skin). But I think your right, I guess ill keep trying a little more before I come out and say it.

So is your wife a big christian? Like goes to church every sunday and prays before every meal type?

And what about your kids? What do you guys teach them? (if you dont mind me asking)

I don't mind at all.

My wife goes to church most Sundays and occasionally reads her bible. No praying before meals although the rest of my family does that including at restaurants and they want to do it holding hands sometimes:? My wife has actually taken it pretty well but to be fair she is pretty simplistic in her beliefs. I only came out to her within the last year not to long after I became an atheist myself.

My wife is pregnant with our first kid so I can only share what my plans are. I'm not planning to make any declarations to my wife about her bringing my daughter to church. I think teaching my daughter about life will be situational so I don't think I can plan too much on what I will say. Fundamentally I'm hoping to raise her to be a good person for the sake of being good and I'm planning to do my best to be a good example for her.

I know what you mean about "everyone is assumed to be Christian". You can drop hints but it is so unfathomable to them that you would not believe in God that it doesn't even register. I get this with my parents. I've even straight out told both of them that I'm not really into church and they still don't get it. If anything they assume I've soured on the people and their hypocrisy, but my faith never comes into question.

I think it's important to place a value on whether or not someone knows your an atheist. For example, my grandparents were pastors. It would break their hearts to know I was an atheist. I stand to gain absolutely nothing from them knowing how I truly feel.

Good luck with your girl. That is one person who is going to need to know how you feel. Get her mind moving with some loaded questions that you "innocently" wish to know the answer to as well like why God put the tree in the garden knowing that man would eat the fruit and why God only seems to answer prayers for silly things like A's on your exams but ignores the suffering in the world.

nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendogamer6

@junglist101

Well thanks for the advice. I guess ill just have to let her know cause I def dont think she'll accept the fact that im atheist unless I tell her. It's just to unreasonable of a thought to her at this point.

I just wish Christians wouldn't be so damn stubborn about there beliefs. I know for a fact if my gf were given the facts without any biased she would feel differently. I just hopes she understands why I believe what I do and at least accepts it as a realistic theory. 

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Jung, praying at the table in a restaurant? Wow, I've never seen that before. May I ask where you reside? :P

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 junglist101

Jung, praying at the table in a restaurant? Wow, I've never seen that before. May I ask where you reside? :P

wis3boi

:lol:I know, embarrassing right?! Heads bowed, sometimes holding hands...even when I was still a Christian I was the only one with my eyes open looking around hoping no one sees.

Fortunately, I rarely eat out with them anymore.

Southern California

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

junglist101

:lol:I know, embarrassing right?! Heads bowed, sometimes holding hands...even when I was still a Christian I was the only one with my eyes open looking around hoping no one sees.

Fortunately, I rarely eat out with them anymore.

Southern California

Odd, was expecting a bible belt answer :P aka Jesusland :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
If Christianity is the only reality she knows, and you trust that she can think independently, you should provide her your thoughts on religion so she can prove it. That doesn't necessarily mean she has to turn away from Christianity all of a sudden, but she should be able to embrace you as a person, if she has embraced you up to this point. I live in Texas, also known around here as God's country. I am seemingly mentally incapable of telling a lie, especially if it is to protect myself and not others. I usually only talk about religion with people I trust, but there are still some people I know that try to get me to go to church, a subtle attempt at trying to get God to save me. I don't worry about how people judge me regarding my atheism. Although I do worry about rational judgments made about me, atheism is not something that can be judged from an ethical standpoint since it has no prescribed ethical code, so ethical judgments can only be cast on the atheist and not the atheism on behalf of the values he or she has formed.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Not that it's ever been a big deal or anything, but I just tell people I believe in whatever makes sense to me and don't follow a religion.