gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts

Religions are able to gain followers by offering something that people want--eternal life. Their god has the power to grant you eternal life, and he does this by allowing you into heaven. If you've been around religious people then you are familiar with this.

But does Heaven seem like it would be a fun place? You will be in this one place for all of time. It is a perfect place where sin is nonexistent, and your free will is taken away in order for there to be no sin. Now, I really do not seem what sounds so great about this place. I would rather die than go to a place like this. It just sounds horrible.

People say that the belief that this life on Earth is all we have is a depressing outlook on life, but that certainly does not sound more depressing than the belief that we will live in this Heaven forever. 

I have been an atheist for a while, but I've just recently began to think about this, so this is not something I thought about that lead me to become an atheist. I lack a belief in Heaven for other reasons, not because it doesn't sound like a fun place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

Hmmm, I'm unsure as to when we enter heaven, our free will is taken away. I would think we would just not want to sin in front of a perfect God, and would be given complete control over what we do, but this is just speculation.

Whats interesting though, is you assert that religion gains followers by offering an afterlife to people. While I can't speak for everyone, the moment I converted, the afterlife was the last thing on my mind, and that was what made me religious.

And as for heaven sounding fun, I don't think thats the point of heaven, or even trying to get to heaven. Whether its fun or not is unimportant, though I would I have something to do other than be with God all day >_>

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

"It is a perfect place where sin is nonexistent, and your free will is taken away in order for there to be no sin"

People can say there would be no sin without free will but if we had no free will, what else would we be missing? Can we be happy without free will? Would we still be able to do things we do that make us happy?

Suppose we get free will in heaven, quite frankly I find it impossible to follow the ten commandments and I doubt anyone ever has! In order for there to be no sin in heaven the ten commandments cannot not be violated there. How is it possible to live an eternity in heaven like that, I don't know.

gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gbpman630

Hmmm, I'm unsure as to when we enter heaven, our free will is taken away. I would think we would just not want to sin in front of a perfect God, and would be given complete control over what we do, but this is just speculation.

Whats interesting though, is you assert that religion gains followers by offering an afterlife to people. While I can't speak for everyone, the moment I converted, the afterlife was the last thing on my mind, and that was what made me religious.

And as for heaven sounding fun, I don't think thats the point of heaven, or even trying to get to heaven. Whether its fun or not is unimportant, though I would I have something to do other than be with God all day >_>

The bible states that there is no sin in Heaven. The bible also states that everyone has sinned, so in order for the there to be no sin, our free will would be taken away. You said that you would not want to sin in front of a perfect god, but aren't you doing that on Earth everyday?

And sorry for the confusion--I didn't mean that the afterlife is the only reason that people choose to convert to a religion. It is but one of many reasons. 

I think it would be pretty depressing if I knew that for all of time, I would be in Heaven simply worshipping God, and that's how I would be spending eternity. A never-ending cycle. A cycle so mundane that I simply couldn't look forward to it.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

When Christianism talks about heaven -and we were preached a lot about this at school- it doesn't refer to a transition to a better place or a place whatsoever but rather a better way of life. That does make sense. It indicates that what will change in the afterlife is not the place we abide (and if it does that will not be the thing about it) but they way we live in it. I suppose in simple words i can say that in heaven we will be programmed so as not to do evil. And if that sounds without free will, well, I'd say that in the same way in this life we are programmed to be keen on doing rather evil but good because of the people around us, our standards, our education (or the lack of it) etc. All I mean is that not doing evil will come out of the understanding that evil is not needed in our lives. It would be a lesson taken rather than a lesson imposed.

As Socrates said: No one is willingly evil. His/Her ignorance of good makes him/her be evil.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]

gbpman630

The bible states that there is no sin in Heaven. The bible also states that everyone has sinned, so in order for the there to be no sin, our free will would be taken away. You said that you would not want to sin in front of a perfect god, but aren't you doing that on Earth everyday?

And sorry for the confusion--I didn't mean that the afterlife is the only reason that people choose to convert to a religion. It is but one of many reasons.

I think it would be pretty depressing if I knew that for all of time, I would be in Heaven simply worshipping God, and that's how I would be spending eternity. A never-ending cycle. A cycle so mundane that I simply couldn't look forward to it.

Hmmm, Good point, but still I won't say for sure what heaven is like, or if our free will is taken away.

Also, how could being in the presence of a perfect being for eternity be depressing? I think you take to much of a physical approach at heaven, that we will think, preceive and comprehend as we do on earth. I would imagine heaven a completely different realm of existence, far greater than I could ever think of. But this is just speculation, take note of that.

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts
There will always be what Christians call "sin," probably even in their Heaven, if it exists. If everyone sins in Heaven, then the word loses its meaning, does it not? Therefore, there is no sin in heaven, per se.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
[QUOTE="123625"]

gbpman630

There's a few misconceptions in this post which I'd like to point out:

1. We 'will' have Free Will in Heaven. Remember back to before the Fall. Adam and Eve both had free will but there was no sin. It will be much the same as that in Heaven.

Here's a link with a short article explaining - http://raptureready.com/faq/faq423.html

2. Many religions don't believe in an afterlife, Hinduism, Budhism, Sikhism etc. 

3. Heaven will be like nothing we've experienced on Earth. We'll see God in his Fullness for the first time. Believe me, it will 'not' be mundane. 

gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gbpman630

Adam and Eve both had free will but there was no sin.

Lansdowne5
They did sin, though.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

gbpman630

They did sin, though.

That's irrelevant. Those who are saved from judgement will be free from Sin, just as Adam and Eve were before they ate of the fruit. 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
I think I can safely say that eternal happiness would be enjoyable.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 7guns
[QUOTE="gbpman630"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

They did sin, though.

That's irrelevant. Those who are saved from judgement will be free from Sin, just as Adam and Eve were before they ate of the fruit. 

How's that?

So what they did is not sinful but was still against god? 

gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gbpman630
[QUOTE="gbpman630"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

They did sin, though.

I don't really get what you're saying. How were thay saved from judgement? They were punished, along with the human race, for their actions. I would say that is God casting judgement.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

gbpman630

Yeah, I remember that even as a Catholic, spending an eternity in worship didn't seem very appealing...

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="gbpman630"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

gbpman630

They did sin, though.

I don't really get what you're saying. How were thay saved from judgement? They were punished, along with the human race, for their actions. I would say that is God casting judgement.

They weren't saved from judgement, they were free from Sin. Just as we will be in Heaven.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="gbpman630"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

7guns

They did sin, though.

How's that?

So what they did is not sinful but was still against god? 

Because I was talking about 'before' the Fall, when there was no sin. I made it perfectly clear in my original, unsnipped post.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 7guns

Because I was talking about 'before' the Fall, when there was no sin. I made it perfectly clear in my original, unsnipped post.

Lansdowne5

This is my understanding, tell me if I'm wrong:

God created Adam and Eve and forbid them to eat that fruit. But he still ate it, knowing that the act was against god's direct command and so they suffered the consequences for commiting the act.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16048 Posts

People say that the belief that this life on Earth is all we have is a depressing outlook on life, but that certainly does not sound more depressing than the belief that we will live in this Heaven forever. gbpman630

That should be a red flag to you. You can now see why folks believe in heaven-- because they want to believe it's true. Believing in heaven isn't being optimistic-- it's having false hopes. The reason they call you depressing is because they find thought outside their bubble of false hope to be depressing. None of them will ever admit it, though.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
I doubt it, it'd probably be church all the time.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
No, much of what those around me consider sin is quite enjoyable. I do not want to live eternity fawning before God. That is not fun to me.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Heaven, by definition is a brilliant and sublime destination. So if it were to be true, then I suppose it would be the only eventuality that I liked it.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

Heaven as I picture it looks very boring.

Although, Hell as I picture it looks like a place that I would definitely not want to be in either.

If God does exists and if I do have to choose between these two places, then either way, I lose.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
I would rather rot or burn to be honest. The idea of heaven does not sound so appealing to me.
Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Strategist1117
Actually, I think heaven would be rather fun if you're a Muslim. All those virgins sound pretty appealing..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 123625

Actually, I think heaven would be rather fun if you're a Muslim. All those virgins sound pretty appealing..Strategist1117

For Matyrs only, I think.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I think I can safely say that eternal happiness would be enjoyable.Funky_Llama
Yes. I think I would give up some free-will for eternal happiness. My happiness is my #1 priority.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I honestly don't know.  The thought of seeing loved one's who have passed is the only plus for me.  I'd really rather take a very long dirt nap.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 helium_flash

I honestly don't know.  The thought of seeing loved one's who have passed is the only plus for me.  I'd really rather take a very long dirt nap.btaylor2404
Except you never wake up :|

Honestly it scares the **** out of me

AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts

The problem I have with the concept of a heaven is that each person's idea of heaven is different. 

Would probably be fun though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Honestly it scares the **** out of mehelium_flash

To me, heaven is preferable but I've gotten so used to the belief of the absense of an afterlife, that I don't mind not waking up. I would imagine afterlife is much like how life was before conception.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 btaylor2404

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]I honestly don't know.  The thought of seeing loved one's who have passed is the only plus for me.  I'd really rather take a very long dirt nap.helium_flash

Honestly it scares the **** out of me

Really H_F?  Unfortunately I've had to think about this a bit here recently, latest blog, but again I take this life and run it 90 to nothing 24/7 trying to get all I can out of it.  All I really ask is for the chance to see my children grown, healthy, happy adults.  Anything else is a bonus.   Scared isn't the word I'd use, more like intrigued.

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Strategist1117

I agree with helium, the thought of being dead scares the sh** out of me more than anything else. I want to prolong my life as much as possible.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Funky_Llama
Am I the only one who feels apathetic towards death? >___>
Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Strategist1117

Well, I'm assuming most people have a hard time accepting death, which contributes to the low amount of apathetic people in this respect.

It's strange for me, though. I accept death, but I still don't want to die.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Am I the only one who feels apathetic towards death? >___>Funky_Llama

I would say I'm apathetic towards it in general, but to suggest that I haven't thought about it a fair amount would be a lie. 

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Strategist1117

Yeah same here. I always believed there was a Heaven, but now that I've accepted that there isn't an afterlife (as far as we know), I'm not too concerned with the thought that I will be completely gone some day. I guess I'm pretty apathetic because death is inevitable.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 helium_flash
Am I the only one who feels apathetic towards death? >___>Funky_Llama
You're apathetic towards everything
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 7guns

Well, I'm assuming most people have a hard time accepting death, which contributes to the low amount of apathetic people in this respect.

Strategist1117

Same here! It's probably because I've gotten used to the idea of dying just thinking about it.:lol:

So yes, I'm apathetic... 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Am I the only one who feels apathetic towards death? >___>helium_flash

...meh.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 btaylor2404

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Am I the only one who feels apathetic towards death? >___>helium_flash

Point. :)

Overrated_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Overrated_Hero
Member since 2008 • 3439 Posts

Eternal life isn't good in any form what's there to life if I cannot die.]

Edit: Also Heaven doesn't seem fun to begin with.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Your free will is unaffected in Heaven; you won't sin because you won't want to sin. Sin in the face of Eternity would by all logic feel so petty and meaningless that even the very idea of committing it would be as meaningless as eating a color.

As for whether or not Heaven sounds like "fun" to me, I think it's pretty presumptuous to believe Heaven is about "fun." I think Heaven is good, to put it in finite perspective, but not "fun."

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Strategist1117

Overrated_Hero
Did you fail English class? Also, there's plenty to life if you cannot die. For example, you have all the time to do what you wanted to do. But that's irrelevant; to get to heaven in the first place you must die.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lansdowne5

Your free will is unaffected in Heaven; you won't sin because you won't want to sin. Sin in the face of Eternity would by all logic feel so petty and meaningless that even the very idea of committing it would be as meaningless as eating a color.

As for whether or not Heaven sounds like "fun" to me, I think it's pretty presumptuous to believe Heaven is about "fun." I think Heaven is good, to put it in finite perspective, but not "fun."

Theokhoth

Exactly, it's not that you can't sin, it's that you won't 'want' to sin. You'll be in the direct presence of God. It's just something that you wouldn't do. :D 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Funky_Llama

Overrated_Hero
Eternal happiness in this case. I wouldn't complain.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Overrated_Hero"]

Funky_Llama

Ah, but wouldn't you complain about being in the presence of a "child murderer" as you've called the Lord so many times before? 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Overrated_Hero"]

Lansdowne5

Ah, but wouldn't you complain about being in the presence of a "child murderer" as you've called the Lord so many times before? 

If it turns out that Christianity is true, though, then I'm wrong about God being immoral.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Overrated_Hero"]

Funky_Llama

If it turns out that Christianity is true, though, then I'm wrong about God being immoral.

Indeed you are. :) 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Overrated_Hero"]

Lansdowne5

Meh. I have trouble following a deity who violates his own commandments.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Overrated_Hero"]

Funky_Llama

Meh. I have trouble following a deity who violates his own commandments.

I meant to say "Indeed you would be".

But if Christianity is right, God is not immoral and is not unjustified, God is Just and Righteous, so regardless of whether he broke His commandment (which was only for man anyway) he would not be in the wrong.