Does evil exist? If so, why do you think so? If not, why?

• 81 results
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Of the things I've wondered regarding the beliefs of those who do not believe in a divine creator, I've never been able to understand their concept of evil.  I've heard a wide variety of answers regarding this topic and have seen no consensus.  I thought I would thus pose the question to you all.

One argument I've heard is that all morality is relative.  Morals should thus be decided by the individual and "to each his own."  My issue with this is that we somehow believe all should be treated fairly.  Do we get this from cultural conditioning?  If so, why is it we expect other cultures to fix their moral problems?  Would that mean we, though say we believe in relative morals, actually expect people to follow a universal moral code?  We expect others to live by our own moral code. 

Others have said that we have through evolution gained a moral code governed simply by our biology.  If this is the case, why do we often think our instincts are wrong? If our morals are simply in place so that humanity as a whole prospers, then would not self-centeredness be wrong?  Would we then not be allowed to define our own moral code? Is such morality governed by ourselves? Our culture? Our government? Our biology? Or maybe a divine being?

People, we believe, ought not to suffer, be excluded, die of hunger or oppression.  Does this not contradict the evolutionary teaching that the strong should take advantage of the weak assuming there are no outside reasons? On what basis does the atheist judge the natural world to be horribly wrong, unfair, and unjust?  Why do we even imagine an "ideal world" unless we acknowledge this to be a fallen world?

Sometimes people try to say that the existence of evil proves a good and all-powerful God does not exist.  Would not the mere acknowledgement of evil show that such a God does indeed exist?  Such a belief in evil's existence would assume a moral code outside ourselves.

What makes evil, evil?

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts

The whole God created evil to test us hypothesis is bogus to me. I'm sorry but I never wrapped my head around a divine being that tests his own creations on a world he created and governs.

I can't say that i've thought of the topic long enough to give you a proper answer.

If our morals are simply in place so that humanity as a whole prospers, then would not self-centeredness be wrong? mindstorm

I think that through biology evolution our moral are in a place so that a human and not humanity as a whole prospers. The each man on his own thing. People 90% of the time will pick a choice in favour of self-interest rather that help everyone out and not themselves.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 dracula_16  Online
Member since 2005 • 16040 Posts

This will be a long answer because you asked a lot of questions.

One argument I've heard is that all morality is relative. Morals should thus be decided by the individual and "to each his own." My issue with this is that we somehow believe all should be treated fairly. Do we get this from cultural conditioning? If so, why is it we expect other cultures to fix their moral problems? Would that mean we, though say we believe in relative morals, actually expect people to follow a universal moral code? We expect others to live by our own moral code.mindstorm

That's quite a stretch. Raising a child/teenager will be hell if you just let him/her do whatever he/she wants. For example, you need to teach them that by raping an innocent person who they've never met, they are engaging in something that violates the other person's freedom. Furthermore, rapes often cause the victim to be scarred for life; it will lower the victim's trust in whatever gender the rapist was, and they may even develop mental disorders such as post traumatic stress disorder. The victim has not done anything to deserve the rape, thus, it is wrong.

Others have said that we have through evolution gained a moral code governed simply by our biology. If this is the case, why do we often think our instincts are wrong? If our morals are simply in place so that humanity as a whole prospers, then would not self-centeredness be wrong? Would we then not be allowed to define our own moral code? Is such morality governed by ourselves? Our culture? Our government? Our biology? Or maybe a divine being? mindstorm

We aren't programmed machines that are guarenteed to have the same morals as our parents.

We often think our instincts are wrong because we are coming to the realization that our emotions got the best of us. For example, if I am in a bad mood one day and I am at a restaurant where the waitress gave me food that I didn't order, my instinct would be to let her know of her error in a snarky manner because I am being influenced by stress that was built up throughout the day. Once I cool down, I can come to the realization that my instinct was wrong because the waitress was not aware of my bad day, and she is merely a human-- she makes mistakes.

People, we believe, ought not to suffer, be excluded, die of hunger or oppression. Does this not contradict the evolutionary teaching that the strong should take advantage of the weak assuming there are no outside reasons? On what basis does the atheist judge the natural world to be horribly wrong, unfair, and unjust? Why do we even imagine an "ideal world" unless we acknowledge this to be a fallen world? mindstorm

The first point is a strawman because I can think of some cases where suffering would be justifiable. Sending someone to prison for a heinous act. The criminal sure as hell doesn't want to be locked up, but he/she deserves it for the crime that was committed.

The atheist judges a world to be unfair based on the fact that they believe the world violates what he/she believes to be right. This belief can be as common as tax reductions being needed, or as uncommon as the the NWO being behind everything bad.

Sometimes people try to say that the existence of evil proves a good and all-powerful God does not exist. Would not the mere acknowledgement of evil show that such a God does indeed exist? Such a belief in evil's existence would assume a moral code outside ourselves. mindstorm

I agree with the first statement, but since we are on the subject of morality, I won't elaborate on it. I can't answer the question on whether evil proves the existance of any god, since you haven't established what kind of evil act you are talking about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Of the things I've wondered regarding the beliefs of those who do not believe in a divine creator, I've never been able to understand their concept of evil.mindstorm

Evil does not depend on a creator. Even if the universe just sprang into existence a second ago, that does not change the state of evil. If you believe that somehow perception of evil requires there to be a creator, you are sorely mistaken.

I've heard a wide variety of answers regarding this topic and have seen no consensus.mindstorm

A lack of consensus does not mean there isn't a logical answer though.

One argument I've heard is that all morality is relative.  Morals should thus be decided by the individual and "to each his own."  My issue with this is that we somehow believe all should be treated fairly.  Do we get this from cultural conditioning?mindstorm

Yes and no. Obviously, culture affects how we view morality because of it affects how we were raised, but what defines a proper morality that is true regardless of culture is one that best establishes the standard in which the quality of life is maximized without having to compromise.

If so, why is it we expect other cultures to fix their moral problems?mindstorm

Because it's their own moral problems. Why should we be expected to solve someone else's problems? 

Would that mean we, though say we believe in relative morals, actually expect people to follow a universal moral code?  We expect others to live by our own moral code. mindstorm

Relativism and universalism are incompatible, so the answer would be no. What is defined to be culturally acceptable is acceptable to a relativist, which to me, is baseless circular reasoning, but I'm not a relativist.

Others have said that we have through evolution gained a moral code governed simply by our biology.mindstorm

While evolution does have a role, so do many other factors, and I don't see how this is relevant to your question. Evolution can only describe how morality has changed over time, not necessarily whether morality is getting better or worse.

If this is the case, why do we often think our instincts are wrong?mindstorm

I don't know why we would think our instincts our wrong. If someone thinks their instincts are wrong, they need to change their instincts.

If our morals are simply in place so that humanity as a whole prospers, then would not self-centeredness be wrong?mindstorm

Self-centeredness would not be wrong, because if we are to take care of anyone, we should first start with ourselves, or how else would we be able to take care of anyone else.

Would we then not be allowed to define our own moral code?mindstorm

We can define a moral code. We give definitions of good and evil. Some of these are proper, while others are not.

Is such morality governed by ourselves? Our culture? Our government? Our biology? Or maybe a divine being?mindstorm

Morality is governed by reason and reason alone. 

People, we believe, ought not to suffer, be excluded, die of hunger or oppression.  Does this not contradict the evolutionary teaching that the strong should take advantage of the weak assuming there are no outside reasons?mindstorm

Evolution doesn't teach that the strong should take advantage of the weak. That's an is-ought problem. What it teaches is that the strong, more times than not, do take advantage of the weak, not necessarily that they should. Additionally, altruism has been observed in animals.

On what basis does the atheist judge the natural world to be horribly wrong, unfair, and unjust?mindstorm

Anything that threatens the function of innocent human life is wrong. Anything that attributes something that does not belong to someone is unfair. Any ruling that does not punish the wicked and reward the good is unjust.

Why do we even imagine an "ideal world" unless we acknowledge this to be a fallen world?mindstorm

This world is far from completely fallen, but it's not ideal. We imagine an ideal world to have as something to strive for. 

Sometimes people try to say that the existence of evil proves a good and all-powerful God does not exist.  Would not the mere acknowledgement of evil show that such a God does indeed exist?mindstorm

No, an omnibenevolent God would not have created evil.

Such a belief in evil's existence would assume a moral code outside ourselves.mindstorm

That is correct. Reason is not dependent upon humans that perceive it. 

What makes evil, evil?mindstorm

The threat that it poses against life, justice, and reason.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What makes evil, evil? mindstorm

The person who perceives something to be evil.

"Good" and "evil" are conceptualizations of the human mind put onto events that we experience. All we "know" is what we can perceive with our minds through our bodies. To the universe, "good" and "evil" do not exist. It does not discriminate between "good" and "evil" people. It does not give a reward to someone who does something good, nor does it punish someone for doing something "evil."

The only "reward/punishment" you receive is from other people, perceiving the event in either the same way, or a similar way to you. Morality is in and of itself, an individual's sense of "right" and "wrong." It is impossible to prove that there is an inherently morality either in nature, or the universe.

It can be argued that the universe is attempting to acquire and maintain a "balance" between complete chaos and complete harmony. i.e. the ultimate result of cause and effect. But then one could also argue that the universe is entropic in behaviour, and is only seeking complete dissolution. Or that it is seeking complete unification. I personally don't rightly care, because its going to be billions of years before we start seeing evidence of any of it.

I am personally of the stance that "evil" does not exist. And also, I have yet to see a convincing definition of "evil."
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts
From a human standpoint, this question is impossible to answer. It could appear that what is "evil" is really that which has a negative affect on the self or the species through natural selection. Or that what is evil is relative to the eye of the beholder. If you are theist, what is evil is the things your deity condemns. But how did that deity invent this "correct" system?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

The threat that it poses against life, justice, and reason.

Genetic_Code

What if I could make an argument that it was reasonable to wipe out a group of people?  Why do we think life and justice are important?

This world is far from completely fallen, but it's not ideal. We imagine an ideal world to have as something to strive for. Genetic_Code

Why is it we even acknowledge the need for something better?  What about us thinks this world is not "right"? Would it be based purely on reason?

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]What makes evil, evil? foxhound_fox

"Good" and "evil" are conceptualizations of the human mind put onto events that we experience. All we "know" is what we can perceive with our minds through our bodies. To the universe, "good" and "evil" do not exist. It does not discriminate between "good" and "evil" people. It does not give a reward to someone who does something good, nor does it punish someone for doing something "evil."

The only "reward/punishment" you receive is from other people, perceiving the event in either the same way, or a similar way to you. Morality is in and of itself, an individual's sense of "right" and "wrong." It is impossible to prove that there is an inherently morality either in nature, or the universe.

It can be argued that the universe is attempting to acquire and maintain a "balance" between complete chaos and complete harmony. i.e. the ultimate result of cause and effect. But then one could also argue that the universe is entropic in behaviour, and is only seeking complete dissolution. Or that it is seeking complete unification. I personally don't rightly care, because its going to be billions of years before we start seeing evidence of any of it.

I am personally of the stance that "evil" does not exist. And also, I have yet to see a convincing definition of "evil."

I sense some Eastern ideas contributing to your beliefs. :P

So then is morality entirely dictated by us if only as a concept or did it exist before us?

If you are theist, what is evil is the things your deity condemns. But how did that deity invent this "correct" system?itsTolkien_time

This answer might be more of a philosophical or natural theological argument than anything but would not good simply be defined by the very nature of who God is?  Would not everything in alignment with this God's will be good and everything against it, bad thus making it impossible for this said God to be evil?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 foxhound_fox

I sense some Eastern ideas contributing to your beliefs. :Pmindstorm

Is it that obvious? :3

So then is morality entirely dictated by us if only as a concept or did it exist before us?mindstorm

It cannot exist without a person to make the conceptualization. Animals do not experience "evil" like we do. They (for the most part) don't have a sense of morality or ability to be selfless (put themselves in another's "shoes" as it were; even chimps, our "closest relatives"). From what I've read, very few animals can even recognize themselves in a mirror (dot on the forehead test), yet human toddler's pass the test with flying colours.

If you can make a case, that doesn't use scripture as a means of proof, that shows that "evil," as a corporeal "thing" exists, and is not just a relative conceptualization of the human mind, I would very much like to see it. The only way to describe "evil," that I've seen, is through subjective means of experience (or knowledge of a subjective experience). I have yet to see a real, objective "thing" (like Satan, a green fog, or something of the sort) that is in physical essence "evil."

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I have yet to see a real, objective "thing" (like Satan, a green fog, or something of the sort) that is in physical essence "evil."foxhound_fox
That's probably because "evil" is an abstract concept, not a concrete item that can be described and measured. Like love or kindness, or hate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5a79221380856

What if I could make an argument that it was reasonable to wipe out a group of people?  Why do we think life and justice are important?mindstorm

The argument would be wrong. That's utilitarian thinking and that's exactly what the Nazi's did to the Jews. The reason life and justice is so important is because without it, existence would be meaningless. 

Why is it we even acknowledge the need for something better?mindstorm

Because there are flaws in this world that restrict it from being better.

What about us thinks this world is not "right"?mindstorm

All the chaos and corruption in this world.

Would it be based purely on reason?mindstorm

Every thought that is to be used as a foundation of improvement should be founded upon reason. Everything else is sinking sand.

I am personally of the stance that "evil" does not exist. And also, I have yet to see a convincing definition of "evil."foxhound_fox

You're pro-life. How do you argue against the evil that is abortion without calling it evil?

That's probably because "evil" is an abstract concept, not a concrete item that can be described and measured. Like love or kindness, or hate.ChiliDragon

Not true. What someone does for someone is a measurement of love, whether it be giving them flowers or deciding to marry them. That's what makes love unique. The same is true for evil, but instead of being unique, it is horrifying. Evil can be something relatively small, such as watching a filthy show and enjoying it, to actually killing someone. Don't let mysticism tell you that evil can't be measured. 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiliDragon
Not true. What someone does for someone is a measurement of love, whether it be giving them flowers or deciding to marry them. That's what makes love unique. The same is true for evil, but instead of being unique, it is horrifying. Evil can be something relatively small, such as watching a filthy show and enjoying it, to actually killing someone. Don't let mysticism tell you that evil can't be measured.Genetic_Code
It has nothing to do with mysticism. What color is evil? What does it smell like? That's what I meant, as basic as that. Evil is not an object that we can point to and say "that's what it looks like". What you described are just the results of evil, not evil itself. Just like a second-degree burns are the result of heat, they are not heat itself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5a79221380856

It has nothing to do with mysticism. What color is evil? What does it smell like? That's what I meant, as basic as that. Evil is not an object that we can point to and say "that's what it looks like". What you described are just the results of evil, not evil itself. Just like a second-degree burns are the result of heat, they are not heat itself.ChiliDragon

Fair enough. 

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 itsTolkien_time
The ability to contemplate abstract concepts is one of things that makes us human. One of the few reasons we are the dominant and intelligent species on earth.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox
You're pro-life. How do you argue against the evil that is abortion without calling it evil?Genetic_Code

By using the human right to life argument; and that no human has the right to take the life of another human away from them, no matter what stage of development they are in.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]What makes evil, evil? foxhound_fox

This, also its strange seeing as how we always seemed to have opposing ideas but all of a sudden we share the same view on this topic

EDIT so i dont make multi posts let me adress these here

GC: watcing a filthy movie and liking it is horrifying?

Foxhound: If the creature in question isnt a sentient being then it isnt a life

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
Foxhound: If the creature in question isnt a sentient being then it isnt a life Thessassin

That is a very limiting definition. So elephants, great apes, whales and dolphins are "lives" but hamsters aren't? "Life" as a biological process is defined quite directly, that it usually envelopes everything from plants to humans.

What you are getting into is an argument about a "soul" or "self." Which can not really be well supported outside of a philosophical or scriptural argument.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChiliDragon
"Foxhound: If the creature in question isnt a sentient being then it isnt a life.Thessassin
My house plants are sentient! :o Merriam-Webster says life is,
an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproductionMerrian-Webster Online
So my plants are most certainly alive, and so is the fertilized egg growing inside a human body following conception. Is either of them a person? The plant certainly is not. Is the fertilized egg? No, not really, but I believe the debate rages around whether the latter is human, not whether it's alive and have a personality of its own.
What you are getting into is an argument about a "soul" or "self." Which can not really be well supported outside of a philosophical or scriptural argument.foxhound_fox
Exactly. You would need to get into souls, and what exactly they are, and how to define or verify sentience and personality. Treacherous, treacherous waters... :P
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

[QUOTE="Thessassin"]Foxhound: If the creature in question isnt a sentient being then it isnt a life foxhound_fox

That is a very limiting definition. So elephants, great apes, whales and dolphins are "lives" but hamsters aren't? "Life" as a biological process is defined quite directly, that it usually envelopes everything from plants to humans.

What you are getting into is an argument about a "soul" or "self." Which can not really be well supported outside of a philosophical or scriptural argument.

Even 'plants to animals' is quite exclusive, don't forget Archaea, bacteria, fungi, protocista etc.

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts
[QUOTE="Thessassin"]Foxhound: If the creature in question isnt a sentient being then it isnt a life foxhound_fox

hmm now that i look back im thinking i think something was lost in translation from my brain to my text. either way what i did mean was that i wouldnt consider a fetus as human, untill it passes through the vagina ( or by way of c-section) its not a human to me.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
hmm now that i look back im thinking i think something was lost in translation from my brain to my text. either way what i did mean was that i wouldnt consider a fetus as human, untill it passes through the vagina ( or by way of c-section) its not a human to me.Thessassin

I don't want to get into an abortion debate here... but children don't become sentient and fully self aware until well after birth. A foetus carries human DNA, is "alive" by biological standards and will most undoubtedly be as "human" at birth as they are in adulthood or foetal-hood... yet you consider birth to be the defining factor between "human" and "non-human."

What exactly changes at birth that makes a newborn different from a foetus? No child can feed itself until at least 18-24 months.

Sorry mindstorm, he brought up the sentience argument.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 itsTolkien_time
[QUOTE="Thessassin"]hmm now that i look back im thinking i think something was lost in translation from my brain to my text. either way what i did mean was that i wouldnt consider a fetus as human, untill it passes through the vagina ( or by way of c-section) its not a human to me.foxhound_fox

I don't want to get into an abortion debate here... but children don't become sentient and fully self aware until well after birth. A foetus carries human DNA, is "alive" by biological standards and will most undoubtedly be as "human" at birth as they are in adulthood or foetal-hood... yet you consider birth to be the defining factor between "human" and "non-human."

What exactly changes at birth that makes a newborn different from a foetus? No child can feed itself until at least 18-24 months.

Sorry mindstorm, he brought up the sentience argument.

My only point of wonder on the subject is: We kill any other animal or plant (fungi, protist, etc.) at any time if it helps our quality of life, but killing a human fetus, which is as self aware as a blade of grass cut by your lawn mower this morning, is off limits. Why is this so? If that question is dared to be asked, we must ask this one also. What is wrong with killing it after birth? And genetic-code, how did you reach the conclusion that existance without "life" and justice would be meaningless? (I like having people explain their statements, so heed me if you will)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5a79221380856

By using the human right to life argument; and that no human has the right to take the life of another human away from them, no matter what stage of development they are in.foxhound_fox

Why does a human have no right to take another life from another human being? How do you determine that without invoking morality?

GC: watcing a filthy movie and liking it is horrifying?Thessassin

If you're not careful, you become what you consume. So yes, it is evil. 

And genetic-code, how did you reach the conclusion that existance without "life" and justice would be meaningless? (I like having people explain their statements, so heed me if you will)itsTolkien_time

Well, life would be meaningless without life and justice to enforce the longevity of life.  

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox
How do you determine that without invoking morality?Genetic_Code

By defining that something that is "genetically human" and "biologically alive" has the inherent right to life? What about "morality," which is entirely relative, applies to defining what life is?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5a79221380856

By defining that something that is "genetically human" and "biologically alive" has the inherent right to life? What about "morality," which is entirely relative, applies to defining what life is?foxhound_fox

Defining what is life does not have anything to do what is right or wrong. That much is clear. However, defending someone's right to life does.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]By defining that something that is "genetically human" and "biologically alive" has the inherent right to life? What about "morality," which is entirely relative, applies to defining what life is?Genetic_Code

Defining what is life does not have anything to do what is right or wrong. That much is clear. However, defending someone's right to life does.

So are you against contraception then?

Did you know that the worlds population has tripled in the last 50 years?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="Thessassin"]GC: watcing a filthy movie and liking it is horrifying?Genetic_Code
If you're not careful, you become what you consume. So yes, it is evil.

Define "filthy". Are we taking about pornographic smut, or are we talking about glorified violence? And is it in the form of a good movie where it fits in the context of the story or a very bad movie that is using the sex and violence to sell because it has nothing else going for it? In the first case, I'd say you're fine. In the second, I might not call you "evil" but I will certainly question your taste in movies and entertainment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5a79221380856
So are you against contraception then?

Did you know that the worlds population has tripled in the last 50 years?RationalAtheist

I'm not against contraception per se but I wouldn't advise it for anyone seeking to avoid pregnancy, and I fail to see how that relates to the actual process of abortion. If I was against it, does that make my position on abortion illogical? You seem to be implying as such. That's an interesting line of thought that you have there.

Define "filthy". Are we taking about pornographic smut, or are we talking about glorified violence? And is it in the form of a good movie where it fits in the context of the story or a very bad movie that is using the sex and violence to sell because it has nothing else going for it? In the first case, I'd say you're fine. In the second, I might not call you "evil" but I will certainly question your taste in movies and entertainment.ChiliDragon

If there's evil in a movie, but it's used to counter-balance good, then that's acceptable, as long as the movie doesn't celebrate evil.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChiliDragon
If there's evil in a movie, but it's used to counter-balance good, then that's acceptable, as long as the movie doesn't celebrate evil.Genetic_Code
It's rare that you and I agree on anything, but I think we have found another common ground here. My opinion is, evil in entertainment media is fine, but it should not be the entertaining part of it. The entertainment should be in the evil people losing to the good guys. :)
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]So are you against contraception then?

Did you know that the worlds population has tripled in the last 50 years?Genetic_Code

I'm not against contraception per se but I wouldn't advise it for anyone seeking to avoid pregnancy, and I fail to see how that relates to the actual process of abortion. If I was against it, does that make my position on abortion illogical? You seem to be implying as such. That's an interesting line of thought that you have there.

The instant after conception, the chance of life begins, so you seem to say.

If you are not against contraception, why wouldn't you advise it for people to avoid pregnancy? What would you suggest to prevent global over-population?

Note, I'm just asking simple questions. You are the one reading inferences into them. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5a79221380856

It's rare that you and I agree on anything, but I think we have found another common ground here. My opinion is, evil in entertainment media is fine, but it should not be the entertaining part of it. The entertainment should be in the evil people losing to the good guys. :)ChiliDragon

Same, but occasionally, I'm guilty of rooting for the villains, or at least for them to stay around so they can be used in later episodes. I sometimes cringe when a villain is killed off.

If you are not against contraception, why wouldn't you advise it for people to avoid pregnancy? What would you suggest to prevent global over-population?RationalAtheist

If they want to have sex, and they don't want to bear children, then use protection, but it's better to not have sex. I don't think avoiding sex is a completely unrealistic goal, although many people disagree me. Personally, I find the view that humans cannot withstand the temptation to have sex very insulting, but more times than not, true.

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]It's rare that you and I agree on anything, but I think we have found another common ground here. My opinion is, evil in entertainment media is fine, but it should not be the entertaining part of it. The entertainment should be in the evil people losing to the good guys. :)Genetic_Code

Same, but occasionally, I'm guilty of rooting for the villains, or at least for them to stay around so they can be used in later episodes. I sometimes cringe when a villain is killed off.

If you are not against contraception, why wouldn't you advise it for people to avoid pregnancy? What would you suggest to prevent global over-population?RationalAtheist

If they want to have sex, and they don't want to bear children, then use protection, but it's better to not have sex. I don't think avoiding sex is a completely unrealistic goal, although many people disagree me. Personally, I find the view that humans cannot withstand the temptation to have sex very insulting, but more times than not, true.

In regards to the second half, it's entirely possible for humans to withstand the temptation to have sex. Is it hard? Heck yes. But it's possible. We're surrounded by sexual influences 24/7, and a lot of times we go out of our way to to find sexually stimulating things. Now if we spend our time looking at sexual things and indulging in sexual thoughts are we going to be able to withstand having sex? Of course not, the temptation would be far too high. The only way you're ever going to withstand the desire to have sex would be to abstain from sexual influences as much as possible. You can't control everything but you can't definitely control what you let your mind think about.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]It's rare that you and I agree on anything, but I think we have found another common ground here. My opinion is, evil in entertainment media is fine, but it should not be the entertaining part of it. The entertainment should be in the evil people losing to the good guys. :)OhhSnap50893

In regards to the second half, it's entirely possible for humans to withstand the temptation to have sex. Is it hard? Heck yes. But it's possible. We're surrounded by sexual influences 24/7, and a lot of times we go out of our way to to find sexually stimulating things. Now if we spend our time looking at sexual things and indulging in sexual thoughts are we going to be able to withstand having sex? Of course not, the temptation would be far too high. The only way you're ever going to withstand the desire to have sex would be to abstain from sexual influences as much as possible. You can't control everything but you can't definitely control what you let your mind think about.

Wow all these things I read about sex here compressed in 2 quotes, makes it look like its evil or something. :?
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OhhSnap50893
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"][QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]It's rare that you and I agree on anything, but I think we have found another common ground here. My opinion is, evil in entertainment media is fine, but it should not be the entertaining part of it. The entertainment should be in the evil people losing to the good guys. :)Teenaged

Wow all these things I read about sex here compressed in 2 quotes, makes it look like its evil or something. :?

Personally I believe in waiting until your married to have sex. Sex isn't evil at all but it wasn't designed so that we could sleep around with whoever we want and throw caution to the wind. Sex isn't just a physical thing, it creates emotional bonds with the people you're having sex with. It's designed to strengthen the bond between husband and wife but unfortunately that's rarely how it's used, and the more you have sex before you're with your permanent spouse the more bonds you'll have with other people.

The way I see it, when you have sex with all these different people you're giving them little chunks of your heart that you really don't get back. And I want to be able to say to my wife that I waited for her and only her. Again, is it easy? No. Is it worth it? Yes.

Does any of that make sense? lol

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teenaged
Personally I believe in waiting until your married to have sex. Sex isn't evil at all but it wasn't designed so that we could sleep around with whoever we want and throw caution to the wind. Sex isn't just a physical thing, it creates emotional bonds with the people you're having sex with. It's designed to strengthen the bond between husband and wife but unfortunately that's rarely how it's used, and the more you have sex before you're with your permanent spouse the more bonds you'll have with other people.

The way I see it, when you have sex with all these different people you're giving them little chunks of your heart that you really don't get back. And I want to be able to say to my wife that I waited for her and only her. Again, is it easy? No. Is it worth it? Yes.

OhhSnap50893

First: having premarital sex does not mean that you are throwing caution  to the wind. At all.

Secondly: I was gonna debate you as to what sex was designed for but I dont think I could invest in a debate right now. :P

Regardless as for the rest of your post: you are not wrong but neither are you right.

How is that possible? It depends on how one views sex and what they do it for. I would like for a moment to shift the premise from "have sex with the one you marry" to "have sex with the one you love". Thats right isnt it? I mean you yourself connected sex with emotions and I assume love is the most important. But feelings do change. Your first loved one may not be the ONE for ever. Emotional states change. Then you try again. But you DO love again. Is it like the first time? Nothing is. Should we not do it because of that and seek to forcefully solidify those feelings in the first case that they appear? Neither yes nor no. You cant plan things out to such degree to know who you will end up with. You cant force yourself to take a relationship to the level of marriage and neither can you know if you should invest in it. You just try. You take the risk and from then on you just face life as it comes.

The same with sex. We already connected it to love. Why not experience it with the person I love, even though I have no certainty if we will marry?

But then again maybe thats just me: I connect sex more to love and not to marriage at all.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RationalAtheist

Genetic_Code

But I'm married! And I disagree, although I understand its not everyone's cup of tea.

Sex is human function. It's quite an involved part of our physical form. Intricate ritual patterns and processes are displayed in countless animal species, as well as in humans. I don't think you can easily dismiss it. We've evolved science and society now to protect our offspring. We've reduced the miscarriage and infant death rate so rapidly that we face an unsustainable future.

When it comes to having children, I think the main moral consideration people should have is on the burden they'd place on society. 

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OhhSnap50893
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]Personally I believe in waiting until your married to have sex. Sex isn't evil at all but it wasn't designed so that we could sleep around with whoever we want and throw caution to the wind. Sex isn't just a physical thing, it creates emotional bonds with the people you're having sex with. It's designed to strengthen the bond between husband and wife but unfortunately that's rarely how it's used, and the more you have sex before you're with your permanent spouse the more bonds you'll have with other people.

Teenaged

First: having premarital sex does not mean that you are throwing caution  to the wind. At all.

Secondly: I was gonna debate you as to what sex was designed for but I dont think I could invest in a debate right now. :P

Regardless as for the rest of your post: you are not wrong but neither are you right.

How is that possible? It depends on how one views sex and what they do it for. I would like for a moment to shift the premise from "have sex with the one you marry" to "have sex with the one you love". Thats right isnt it? I mean you yourself connected sex with emotions and I assume love is the most important. But feelings do change. Your first loved one may not be the ONE for ever. Emotional states change. Then you try again. But you DO love again. Is it like the first time? Nothing is. Should we not do it because of that and seek to forcefully solidify those feelings in the first case that they appear? Neither yes nor no. You cant plan things out to such degree to know who you will end up with. You cant force yourself to take a relationship to the level of marriage and neither can you know if you should invest in it. You just try. You take the risk and from then on you just face life as it comes.

The same with sex. We already connected it to love. Why not experience it with the person I love, even though I have no certainty if we will marry?

But then again maybe thats just me: I connect sex more to love and not to marriage at all.

Well if we're treating love as an emotion then it will change with how we're feeling One day we'll love someone and the next day we'll love someone else. Or maybe we'll just starting loving one person less and less until we find we're loving someone else. So when you say you want to experience sex with the person you love it really means the person you love at the time, which hardly sounds like love at all.

I think that love is more of an action. I think you love people rather than feel love for people. I think that when you say you're "in love" it shouldn't mean you think your partner is attractive and you really like spending time with each other. It should mean you each devote time and energy into loving each other. I don't really know how to wrap that all together without bringing faith into the mix but I believe that if you and the person you "love" are treating love as an action and an attitude that requires work and you're both putting that work into it the relationship isn't going to fail.

If you're having sex with the one you love then we're pretty much on the same page, I just think it should wait until marriage because of my personal beliefs. It's when it turns into having sex with more than one person that you love that we differ. I think if you look back at the people you've "loved" with an objective view you'll find that you probably didn't love them as much as you thought you did at the time, that maybe it was more of an emotional high than true love.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Teenaged

Well if we're treating love as an emotion then it will change with how we're feeling One day we'll love someone and the next day we'll love someone else. Or maybe we'll just starting loving one person less and less until we find we're loving someone else. So when you say you want to experience sex with the person you love it really means the person you love at the time, which hardly sounds like love at all.OhhSnap50893

That is because by your own standards, I assume, love comes only once. That doent say anything though. Your belief is not fact. You cant know if a person really feels love if they have claimed to have loved more than one person in their lives. You cant just draw that convenient conclusion.

I think that love is more of an action. I think you love people rather than feel love for people. I think that when you say you're "in love" it shouldn't mean you think your partner is attractive and you really like spending time with each other. It should mean you each devote time and energy into loving each other. I don't really know how to wrap that all together without bringing faith into the mix but I believe that if you and the person you "love" are treating love as an action and an attitude that requires work and you're both putting that work into it the relationship isn't going to fail. OhhSnap50893

Again that is an assumption. You cannot label things as you wish in order to have a suiting-for-your-ideals conclusion. When I speak about love I certainly dont mean just physical attraction.

Sometimes relationship do not fail because love is not true. There is constant interaction which sometimes has tension and fights. In that case its not about love not being enough but about people not adapting and evolving inside their relationship. And that has nothing to do with love. It can happen with or without it.

If you're having sex with the one you love then we're pretty much on the same page, I just think it should wait until marriage because of my personal beliefs. It's when it turns into having sex with more than one person that you love that we differ. I think if you look back at the people you've "loved" with an objective view you'll find that you probably didn't love them as much as you thought you did at the time, that maybe it was more of an emotional high than true love.

OhhSnap50893

But by simple logic, love does not equate marriage. Marriage neither creates love, nor does it have the magical power to sustain it no matter what. Again marriage has necessary no place in the equation.

It is very possible that somebody throughout their life, have loved more than one person with relatively the same intensity and truthfulness. We cant use assumptions to create absolutes.

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OhhSnap50893

That is because by your own standards, I assume, love comes only once. That doent say anything though. Your belief is not fact. You cant know if a person really feels love if they have claimed to have loved more than one person in their lives. You cant just draw that convenient conclusion.Teenaged

Again, love doesn't just come. Either you choose to love someone or you choose to not love them.

Again that is an assumption. You cannot label things as you wish in order to have a suiting-for-your-ideals conclusion. When I speak about love I certainly dont mean just physical attraction.

Sometimes relationship do not fail because love is not true. There is constant interaction which sometimes has tension and fights. In that case its not about love not being enough but about people not adapting and evolving inside their relationship. And that has nothing to do with love. It can happen with or without it.Teenaged

If love is an action and an attitude it has everything to do with love. All relationships have tension and fights, I guarantee you've fought with your best friend and I gaurantee the 80 year old couple that's still madly in love has had hundreds of fights. But when you love someone you work through those fights and arguments. Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self seeking and it keeps no record of wrongs. If you treat whoever you're in a relationship with at the time with that kind of love I guarantee you'll find it much easier to "adapt and evolve" inside the relationship to the point where you love each other more after going through the tough fights. 

But by simple logic, love does not equate marriage. Marriage neither creates love, nor does it have the magical power to sustain it no matter what. Again marriage has necessary no place in the equation.

It is very possible that somebody throughout their life, have loved more than one person with relatively the same intensity and truthfulness. We cant use assumptions to create absolutes.

Teenaged

You're right that love does not equate marriage, but marriage is the product of love. As I said I don't see us agreeing on the marriage aspect because that's entirely based on my own beliefs on the purpose of sex.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Teenaged

Again, love doesn't just come. Either you choose to love someone or you choose to not love them.OhhSnap50893

(RED) What? I am sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree as I dont believe anyone's deepest and innate feelings are choice-driven.

If love is an action and an attitude it has everything to do with love. All relationships have tension and fights, I guarantee you've fought with your best friend and I gaurantee the 80 year old couple that's still madly in love has had hundreds of fights. But when you love someone you work through those fights and arguments. Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self seeking and it keeps no record of wrongs. If you treat whoever you're in a relationship with at the time with that kind of love I guarantee you'll find it much easier to "adapt and evolve" inside the relationship to the point where you love each other more after going through the tough fights.  OhhSnap50893

No. Love sometimes is not enough to overcome all those difficulties. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Love doesnt guarantee success, it just gives more possibilities for a more worthwhile relatioship (for as long as it lasts - of course always aiming to make it last for as long as possible). A failrue of a relationship does not mean that there wasnt love or that the two people didnt try their best (to their intentions at least).

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OhhSnap50893
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]

Again, love doesn't just come. Either you choose to love someone or you choose to not love them.Teenaged

(RED) What? I am sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree as I dont believe anyone's deepest and innate feelings are choice-driven.

If love was a feeling and was so deep and innate then why do you find yourself loving more than one person? You make it sound rather definite, and as if you were simply compelled to love this person beyond your own personal will. Something like that sounds like it would have a 0% chance of failure. After all, neither of you had anything to do with it. It just happened, as if it was destined.

Now lets just assume that I'm right, and love is an action. If that were the case then you could choose to "love" someone or choose to not "love" them. Are there certain qualities that attract you to certain people? Definitely, but that's not love, that's attraction. It becomes love when you develop a relationship and CHOOSE to LOVE them. And if you were to choose not to love them (or they choose not to love you), the relationship would almost definitely end in failure.

So if love is a feeling that we really don't control and it just happens to us then there should either be a 0% chance of a relationship failing or a 0% chance of it succeeding. Meanwhile if love is an action then you are at least partially in control of whether or not a relationship is going to succeed or fail, hence relationships that work and ones that don't.

Pardon the sarcasm, I know there was a bit of it.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]Again, love doesn't just come. Either you choose to love someone or you choose to not love them.Teenaged

But is love an emotion? Most people, when they marry, promise to love each other, implying it's something that we can actively choose to do. The Swedish language has two words for love, one for the noun, the emotion. The other word is for the verb, the act of loving someone. Our actions are ours to control, and some would say that is what love is. Not the happy feelings of infatuation and attraction towards the person we love, but the active decision to do our best to feed these emotions, to treasure and nourish them, and to treat the one we love as if they truly are the most important person in the entire world. To care for the relationship and to keep it as alive, intimate and committed as it was they day when 80-year old couple first decided they wanted to get married.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox
If they want to have sex, and they don't want to bear children, then use protection, but it's better to not have sex. I don't think avoiding sex is a completely unrealistic goal, although many people disagree me. Personally, I find the view that humans cannot withstand the temptation to have sex very insulting, but more times than not, true.Genetic_Code

When one has sex, its basically impossible to not want it again. Your body comes to a point where it "needs" it, and if it doesn't get it, goes through a certain kind of withdrawal.

Yes, the best way to avoid pregnancy is to abstain from sex... but no extremely intimate and close romantic relationship is "complete" without sex, and the borderline divine emotional and physical expression of love. You can literally stop being your "self" and meld into a single entity.

Don't knock it until you try it.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 itsTolkien_time
Well, I see this conversation has come a long way since last I checked. Well, at least the subject matter has narrowed down to sex. :P First off, I abide by abstinence. (and I am not married, nor do I currently wish to be married anytime soon) It is just an object, as is playing videogames, and I like to test my resolve. There was a point made about "choosing" love, and my response to that is inevitably linked to my view of the random-deterministic universe. All our choices are cause and effect deals, some events predictable, others random. "Free will" is a conception of the human mind. So it really doesn't matter if love is a "choice" or not through my view. The solution for our overpopulation could be abstaining from sex, but expectations must be lowered to fit humans. Ocassionally I'll think awhile and say "I want to be married with children one day." and the american dream and blah, blah, blah. But just as often I sit and think "I never want to get married or have children, that would suck.", which, if I retain my values, would mean no sex, ever. I am not bothered by this goal, but acheiving it is the challenge.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ChiliDragon
Yes, the best way to avoid pregnancy is to abstain from sex... but no extremely intimate and close romantic relationship is "complete" without sex, and the borderline divine emotional and physical expression of love. You can literally stop being your "self" and meld into a single entity.foxhound_fox
The other side of that coin is the devastating effects that abstaining from sex would have on an intimate and close romantic relationship, especially if one of the two only goes along for the sake of their partner's feelings, rather than because they share the conviction. In fact, that would be both painful and ugly.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OhhSnap50893
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]If they want to have sex, and they don't want to bear children, then use protection, but it's better to not have sex. I don't think avoiding sex is a completely unrealistic goal, although many people disagree me. Personally, I find the view that humans cannot withstand the temptation to have sex very insulting, but more times than not, true.foxhound_fox

When one has sex, its basically impossible to not want it again. Your body comes to a point where it "needs" it, and if it doesn't get it, goes through a certain kind of withdrawal.

Yes, the best way to avoid pregnancy is to abstain from sex... but no extremely intimate and close romantic relationship is "complete" without sex, and the borderline divine emotional and physical expression of love. You can literally stop being your "self" and meld into a single entity.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Your body never needs sex. As you have sex or think about sex more you're body is going to want it more but it never needs sex. Have you ever tried having a close romantic relationship without sex? Because in my experience and in the experiences of people very close to me it has been far from impossible to not have sex. As a matter of fact, I've found that when relationships turn physical they tend to fail very soon after, unless the goal was to have a physical relationship.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Teenaged

If love was a feeling and was so deep and innate then why do you find yourself loving more than one person? You make it sound rather definite, and as if you were simply compelled to love this person beyond your own personal will. Something like that sounds like it would have a 0% chance of failure. After all, neither of you had anything to do with it. It just happened, as if it was destined.OhhSnap50893

The impulsiveness and the innate nature of a feeling does not guarantee its longevity. By far. And yes loving one person is not directed by my will. I do not consciously choose to love him/her. Thats even absurd to imagine, no offense.

No just as it was not my will to fall in love, its not my will to fall out of it. And no matter how much it is believeable from me, is not an excuse to justify the shifting from on sexual partner to the next. I am all for it if someone can fall in love with a person and that first person to be his/her loved one for the rest of his/her life. But that rarely happens.

Now lets just assume that I'm right, and love is an action. If that were the case then you could choose to "love" someone or choose to not "love" them. Are there certain qualities that attract you to certain people? Definitely, but that's not love, that's attraction. It becomes love when you develop a relationship and CHOOSE to LOVE them. And if you were to choose not to love them (or they choose not to love you), the relationship would almost definitely end in failure.OhhSnap50893
The certain qualities that attract me towards another person where not set by me. All I can do is simply aknowledge this attraction and act upon it. There is also emotional attraction which is a step before love so it is important that even this is not by choice

No, simply no. I dont choose it when my emotional attraction becomes something bigger. The things one can do to direct the result of any stage in this process are very limited.

So if love is a feeling that we really don't control and it just happens to us then there should either be a 0% chance of a relationship failing or a 0% chance of it succeeding. Meanwhile if love is an action then you are at least partially in control of whether or not a relationship is going to succeed or fail, hence relationships that work and ones that don't.

Pardon the sarcasm, I know there was a bit of it.

OhhSnap50893

Like I said before neither falling in nor falling out is in our will or choice. And also that simply because a feeling is innate and strong doesnt mean it lasts. Thats an unfounded assumption from your part.

Also being in partial control does not change the innateness of the feelings. We can control our actions (for instance I can choose to not ask this girl/guy out - which again it is debatable whether you can control thefeelings that make you hesitant) but I cant choose if I am emotionally attracted to them.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teenaged

But is love an emotion? Most people, when they marry, promise to love each other, implying it's something that we can actively choose to do. The Swedish language has two words for love, one for the noun, the emotion. The other word is for the verb, the act of loving someone. Our actions are ours to control, and some would say that is what love is. Not the happy feelings of infatuation and attraction towards the person we love, but the active decision to do our best to feed these emotions, to treasure and nourish them, and to treat the one we love as if they truly are the most important person in the entire world. To care for the relationship and to keep it as alive, intimate and committed as it was they day when 80-year old couple first decided they wanted to get married.ChiliDragon
I am of the people who say that love IS the happy feelings of infatuation and attraction towards the person we love AND of everything the person we love is.

Possibly all feelings have ainnate/impulsive/subconscious part and another one which is more conscious.

We would spend lots of days to find a definition of "emotion" that pleases us both.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 foxhound_fox
Have you ever tried having a close romantic relationship without sex? Because in my experience and in the experiences of people very close to me it has been far from impossible to not have sex. As a matter of fact, I've found that when relationships turn physical they tend to fail very soon after, unless the goal was to have a physical relationship.OhhSnap50893

I couldn't imagine having a close romantic relationship without sex. :| Sex is an essential part of a healthy romantic relationship. It is the closest and most intimate possible way of expressing your love for your partner.

Your experiences and the experiences of those around you are not the norm. Any healthy relationship in which both partners agree to share themselves with one another only gets deeper and closer when sex is introduced. If the opposite happens and the relationship fails, then its obvious the partners were not compatible.

Sex is more than just a physical expression. The high level of intimacy has incredible emotional effects as well. At least, if you are having sex with someone you love and have agreed to share yourself with them.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChiliDragon
Have you ever tried having a close romantic relationship without sex?OhhSnap50893
Yes, I have. Your point?
Sex is more than just a physical expression. The high level of intimacy has incredible emotional effects as well. At least, if you are having sex with someone you love and have agreed to share yourself with them.foxhound_fox
He's right. Sex in that kind of relationship makes the relationship stronger and makes it last. It makes the commitment and more lasting, and since the only way to make a marriage last for life is to constantly renew the bond between the two, what better way to do it? Not to mention, the sex itself becomes better. :P
Because in my experience and in the experiences of people very close to me it has been far from impossible to not have sex. As a matter of fact, I've found that when relationships turn physical they tend to fail very soon after, unless the goal was to have a physical relationship.OhhSnap50893
If we're going to introduce anecdotal "evidence" (and I use the term loosely), then all the relationships I've seen where that exact same thing happened, the reason they failed when the relationship turned physical was not because they had sex but because the two involved felt so guilty about it they couldn't handle it any more. They felt they had failed in keeping their love "pure" and either blamed themselves or each other. The intimacy they shared was poisoned as a result, and unable to deal with their own negative feelings towards what should have been a very positive shared experience, they ended up going their separate ways. When the closest possible expression of love becomes something negative, of course the relationship fails. That's to be expected. I think you are making a critical mistake by separating emotional intimacy from physical intimacy. They are closely connected, often one and the same, and by seeing them as separate, you miss out on a lot. Or you will, once you find someone you want to share every part of yourself with. :)
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChiliDragon
Possibly all feelings have ainnate/impulsive/subconscious part and another one which is more conscious.Teenaged
I think that is not only possible, but very likely.