Are Atheists and Theists Morally Equivalent?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
What do you think?

Please vote. :D
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I would say they have different morals. I'm not sure which side has "more" than the other; this kind of thing isn't really maths.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I think there are moral and immoral people on either side. That being said I believe that one can be moral if he/she really wants to be. He/She doesn't need religion to live a moral life.

I don't care what the statistics show Lans, especially when they are talking about the "likelyhood" of one acting immoral depending if he/she is an atheist or a theist. Every new generation is here to prove the previous positively wrong, both in the side of theists and atheists, and that's because I believe we are all potentially equal in morality.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lansdowne5

I think there are moral and immoral people on either side. That being said I believe that one can be moral if he/she really wants to be. He/She doesn't need religion to live a moral life.

I don't care what the statistics show Lans, especially when they are talking about the "likelyhood" of one acting immoral depending if he/she is an atheist or a theist. Every new generation is here to prove the previous positively wrong, both in the side of theists and atheists, and that's because I believe we are all potentially equal in morality.

Teenaged

I'm not going to be discussing statistics, I'm just looking for people's opinions. :) 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Lansdowne5

I'm not going to be discussing statistics, I'm just looking for people's opinions. :) 

I just brought that up because you once talked to me about statistics to convince me about the lack of morality in atheists. :) So, it is relevant. ;)
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
For the most part yes.  As I stated in another post most of us were raised with the Christian value system.  I personally was raised by Christian parents, attended church, even now still do, and many of the morals I have, I know stem from this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Theists have no obligation to serve the god they believe in due to free will, but this mostly depends on what god they believe in.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
I would say they have different morals.aliblabla2007
Bingo. Atheist morality are probably based on some knowledge and individuality while Theistic morality would probably more akin to the betterment of mankind and faith. Whether one side is unrealistic or idealist is a debate.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
From my perspective of morality, atheists and theists are on general, morally equivalent.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Atheists and Theists have different moral standards. Many theists think of moral as something absolute like yourself but majority of atheists here think of moral as relative. I can cite an example from the recent "sex and marriage" thread where you mentioned premarital marriage is immoral in every cases, which most of us disagree with. While on the other hand Genetic_Code agrees with you but still hold true to a set of beliefs, a lot of which can be different than yours.

I have voted "NO" because I don't think atheists and theists are morally equivalent (identical). But that doesn't mean that I'm claiming to know who is more moral. I don't even think there can be a comparison, because for that to happen there has to be a definition of morality which we all agree upon.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Depends on what you mean by the question. A little clarification is in order.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lansdowne5

Depends on what you mean by the question. A little clarification is in order.Funky_Llama

Do atheists and theists generally do the same amount of right and wrong?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 btaylor2404

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Depends on what you mean by the question. A little clarification is in order.Lansdowne5

The answer to that question, IMO, would be they equally do the same amount of right and wrong, as it is in all populations.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Depends on what you mean by the question. A little clarification is in order.Lansdowne5

Ah. My answer is... I don't know. :P
AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
I think that depends on what you consider right or wrong.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 7guns

Now.... how the heck do I calculate that?:roll: (those damned eyes again!). In my case an approximation is as close as I can get. Even if the answer is yes, the list of moral and immoral things on both sides will not be identical! I find it impossible to compare...

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Grr, I shoulda read the rest of the thread before voting (since I was slightly confused by the question). I voted "Yes", but after this clarification, I'd have to agree with F_L and AnObscureName:

Ah. My answer is... I don't know. :PFunky_Llama
I think that depends on what you consider right or wrong.AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
They hold different values on certain morals. But i think overall it depends on the person, theist or atheist.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
What do you think?

Please vote. :DLansdowne5
Your question presupposes an absolute moral basis.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

No christian morals are counterbalanced by an extra group that has nothing to do with reality or actual consequence. 

There is an excellent TED speech I wanted to link talking about this in greater detail but when looking to quote myself from a conservative christian union, I see that my post and link is now deleted.  :evil::evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Depends on your upbringing.  Most Atheists that I know were brought up as Christians, and therefore hold many morals that most Christians have.  Of course, I also believe that humans are born with some basic morals, such as not to kill and some others.

The only way we can tell if morals are the same is if somehow we put many many atheists together, and have them raise children and reproduce over a few generations and compare them to the theists.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lansdowne5

Depends on your upbringing.  Most Atheists that I know were brought up as Christians, and therefore hold many morals that most Christians have.  Of course, I also believe that humans are born with some basic morals, such as not to kill and some others.

The only way we can tell if morals are the same is if somehow we put many many atheists together, and have them raise children and reproduce over a few generations and compare them to the theists.

helium_flash

Where do you suppose the "basic morals" come from? 

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

Lansdowne5

The brain.  Where do you think they come from?
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 7guns
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

Lansdowne5

I think morality comes from the cumulative experiences if a civilization that has existed for a sufficiently long period of time. This means that the moral standards of people who lived about thousand of years ago was very different in comparision to the standards of today.

When you grow up in a society you do so by co-existing. You learn what's acceptable and what's not and act accordingly, and so does everyone else in the society. I think this is how we develop our morals. 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

7guns

I think morality comes from the cumulative experiences if a civilization that has existed for a sufficiently long period of time. This means that the moral standards of people who lived about thousand of years ago was very different in comparision to the standards of today.

When you grow up in a society you do so by co-existing. You learn what's acceptable and what's not and act accordingly, and so does everyone else in the society. I think this is how we develop our morals. 

I agree.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

7guns

So you don't believe morality is absolute? 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

Lansdowne5

Judging from that 'is there an atheistic dogma' thread, you and I are the only moral objectivists on this board. O_o
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="7guns"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

Funky_Llama

Judging from that 'is there an atheistic dogma' thread, you and I are the only moral objectivists on this board. O_o

It seems that way indeed. :)

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Funky_Llama

Lansdowne5
I knew we'd have to agree on something eventually. :P
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Funky_Llama

We should construt a cage for you and lans, so we can push sticks through the bars and prod you with them. :P

Stupid objies! :x:P

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Christians and Atheists do not share all of their morals. But the important ones come from common sense and the environment, not the Bible. To take your morals from the Bible, you'd have to be selective. If you have the intelligence to do that, then you have the intelligence to already follow many of the important morals in the Bible. To say Atheists are less moral (or even immoral) is pretty ignorant, to be honest.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

MetalGear_Ninty

We should construt a cage for you and lans, so we can push sticks through the bars and prod you with them. :P

Stupid objies! :x:P

That would be absolutely wrong. >__>
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts
one persons morals may differ from anothers.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 btaylor2404

I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval. Elraptor

Generally, note the generally, I'd agree with Elraptor here.  But two phrases in his very good post stuck out: "We don't NEED religion to be moral" and "religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath & hope for God's approval".  On the Atheism side I agree.  On the Christian/religious side I see this as a crutch or something holding some people back.  Why do something right out of fear that God will punish you?  Why not do the right thing to begin with?  When the plane crashed into the Hudson River in NY last week my mom and I were discussing it.  She went the miracle route, while I informed her of the pilots expertise, and other factors, which was it?  Why must we have some divine being to explain when good or bad things happen?  Can't they be good or bad choices that led to these events?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Funky_Llama
I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval. Elraptor
That's why I think that though it may be that religion makes people behave better, it doesn't make them any morally better if they're doing good for selfish reasons.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 btaylor2404

[QUOTE="Elraptor"]I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval. Funky_Llama
That's why I think that though it may be that religion makes people behave better, it doesn't make them any morally better if they're doing good for selfish reasons.

Me thinks you said the same thing as I meant, only hundreds of words less. :)

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CptJSparrow
Actually, I think it is at bottom fear of convention's wrath and hope for society's approval, though this may mature into an externalized convention: God.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 btaylor2404
Well I think your ass needs to surface and post more often CptJSarrow, so there. :)
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Elraptor
[QUOTE="Elraptor"]I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval. Funky_Llama

That's a fair point, but I think in the end the person who avoids cheating on his wife and skimming from the office funds (for example) purely or partially out of fear of God or hope for his approval is better (at least functionally) than the person who doesn't give a damn and cheats or skims as he pleases. Maybe it's too fine a line to draw on a purely moral plain . . . unless we view morality from a consequentialist perspective, in which case it's fairly clear who's the better moral actor.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Elraptor

[QUOTE="Elraptor"]I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval. CptJSparrow
Actually, I think it is at bottom fear of convention's wrath and hope for society's approval, though this may mature into an externalized convention: God.

To some extent that may be true, but speaking from a (former) fundamentalist perspective, I can say with confidence that at least SOME Christians' fear of God and desire for his approval are not mere manifestations of purely social constraints. I was a sociology major; I'll always recognize the role of social constraints backed by internal and external sanctions. However, that does not replace the unalloyed spiritual fear and intimidation you'll find in (at least some) orthodox Christian dogma, coupled with, on the brighter side, the genuine desire to please an almighty and (confusingly) beneficent God.

On a related note, I think the latter incentive has become more important as time goes by. Compare today's evangelical churches to the churches one would find during America's Great Awakenings and you'll see the difference. "Christ the Redeemer" has caught up a bit with "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Elraptor"]I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval. Elraptor

That's a fair point, but I think in the end the person who avoids cheating on his wife and skimming from the office funds (for example) purely or partially out of fear of God or hope for his approval is better (at least functionally) than the person who doesn't give a damn and cheats or skims as he pleases. Maybe it's too fine a line to draw on a purely moral plain . . . unless we view morality from a consequentialist perspective, in which case it's fairly clear who's the better moral actor.

Functionally, yes, it is undoutedly better. But still, that doesn't imply that being good for selfish reasons makes you a good person.

Also, even consequentialist morality doesn't necessarily assert that people's goodness is to be measured by their actions' consequences; only that actions' goodness is to be measured by their consequences. So even from a utilitarian perspective, if I try to kill you but end up somehow benefiting you instead, I'm still a bad person.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Elraptor"]I'm not exactly sure what "morally equivalent" means, but on the assumption that it means "equally good," I'd say religion can inject a healthy dose of moral constraint into people who might otherwise play fast and loose with right and wrong. On the other hand, some people manage to live morally upright lives without any direct help from religion. We don't NEED religion to be moral, and so maybe this dynamic will change in the future. Right now I'd guess religious people have a better chance of avoiding the generic "evils" due to their fear of God's wrath and their hope for God's approval. Elraptor

That's the thing though, I would assume a lot of people in this union would view morality from a purely consequentialist perspective.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CptJSparrow
To some extent that may be true, but speaking from a (former) fundamentalist perspective, I can say with confidence that at least SOME Christians' fear of God and desire for his approval are not mere manifestations of purely social constraints. I was a sociology major; I'll always recognize the role of social constraints backed by internal and external sanctions. However, that does not replace the unalloyed spiritual fear and intimidation you'll find in (at least some) orthodox Christian dogma, coupled with, on the brighter side, the genuine desire to please an almighty and (confusingly) beneficent God.

On a related note, I think the latter incentive has become more important as time goes by. Compare today's evangelical churches to the churches one would find during America's Great Awakenings and you'll see the difference. "Christ the Redeemer" has caught up a bit with "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."

Elraptor
What is "spiritual" fear, and how does it develop?
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Elraptor
[QUOTE="Elraptor"]To some extent that may be true, but speaking from a (former) fundamentalist perspective, I can say with confidence that at least SOME Christians' fear of God and desire for his approval are not mere manifestations of purely social constraints. I was a sociology major; I'll always recognize the role of social constraints backed by internal and external sanctions. However, that does not replace the unalloyed spiritual fear and intimidation you'll find in (at least some) orthodox Christian dogma, coupled with, on the brighter side, the genuine desire to please an almighty and (confusingly) beneficent God.

CptJSparrow
What is "spiritual" fear, and how does it develop?

Spiritual fear isn't supposed to be a term of art; it was just my way of describing the fear of damnation, the fear of God's disapproval, the fear of judgment from heaven. As for how it develops, I'm not an expert, but I'd venture to say it's learned mostly through exposure to religious dogma.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Elraptor

Functionally, yes, it is undoutedly better. But still, that doesn't imply that being good for selfish reasons makes you a good person.

Also, even consequentialist morality doesn't necessarily assert that people's goodness is to be measured by their actions' consequences; only that actions' goodness is to be measured by their consequences. So even from a utilitarian perspective, if I try to kill you but end up somehow benefiting you instead, I'm still a bad person.Funky_Llama

It's been a while since I took my basic Ethics course in college, and so I could be mischaracterizing consequentialism. However, IIRC, in any school of consequentialist thought, consequences are the only yardstick for discerning right from wrong. If you call yourself a "bad person" for trying to kill me (and you would be, you rascal), you must justify that conclusion in terms of consequences. 

Interestingly, I think you could do that with rule consequentialism, which relies on generalities. So, assume that unjustified homicide generally has undesirable consequences (i.e. it increases the sum total of unhappiness). If that's true, the oddball "benefit" that you somehow bestowed on me by trying to kill me is irrelevant when we assess your behavior. 

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CptJSparrow
Spiritual fear isn't supposed to be a term of art; it was just my way of describing the fear of damnation, the fear of God's disapproval, the fear of judgment from heaven.Elraptor
Ah, yes, then there can indeed be cases in which it is arrived at through personal contemplation and interpretation of experience, rather than social pressures. I am not sure which is more prevalent, however.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

No christian morals are counterbalanced by an extra group that has nothing to do with reality or actual consequence. 

There is an excellent TED speech I wanted to link talking about this in greater detail but when looking to quote myself from a conservative christian union, I see that my post and link is now deleted.  :evil::evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sitri_

Not exactly theists/atheist but this is an excellent conservative/liberal speech.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Functionally, yes, it is undoutedly better. But still, that doesn't imply that being good for selfish reasons makes you a good person.

Also, even consequentialist morality doesn't necessarily assert that people's goodness is to be measured by their actions' consequences; only that actions' goodness is to be measured by their consequences. So even from a utilitarian perspective, if I try to kill you but end up somehow benefiting you instead, I'm still a bad person.Elraptor

It's been a while since I took my basic Ethics course in college, and so I could be mischaracterizing consequentialism. However, IIRC, in any school of consequentialist thought, consequences are the only yardstick for discerning right from wrong. If you call yourself a "bad person" for trying to kill me (and you would be, you rascal), you must justify that conclusion in terms of consequences. 

Interestingly, I think you could do that with rule consequentialism, which relies on generalities. So, assume that unjustified homicide generally has undesirable consequences (i.e. it increases the sum total of unhappiness). If that's true, the oddball "benefit" that you somehow bestowed on me by trying to kill me is irrelevant when we assess your behavior. 

Mm, true. But as far as I'm aware, consequentalism doesn't deny the possibility of good people unintentionally doing evil, and bad people unintentionally doing good; it simply doesn't comment on the goodness of moral agents, concentrating as it does on actions.