You're a console developer with a guaranteed AAA game. When will you release it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

So I was wondering when would most SW members, if they were head of a company with a console game that's guaranteed high scores, release their game into a console's cycle? Let's also say that you get a year's worth of hype no matter where you get your game released, so it won't be like your game is announced at the beginning of a generation and then you're picking when to release it.

Would you go for the launch title to have the distinction and be a system seller, a la Halo Combat Evolved (for whatever amount of Xboxs it sold, even if it wasn't too much)?

Maybe a few years year into the generation, like Call of Duty 4 MW and Assassin's Creed?

Even longer perhaps, when the generation of consoles has really marinated, like God of War 3 and SMG2 (though I know this was because they were both sequels)?

Or at the back end of a generation, when the highest amount of people own the consoles but perhaps your game is showing how the generation is aging, like Tomb Raider?

Personally, I would go for a mid-generation release when the generation has hit its stride, so the third example.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Either example 2 or 3.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
You release the game in November
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

during the  summer school break for ps3 and xbox or whatever systems we are using as an example.

there is no way i'm going to pass up that massive installed base and all that fat lawn mowing/summer job money just so my game has slightly better graphics on systems  that nobody owns.

my stockholders would kill me.

and i would deserve it.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#5 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Depends on the property. In a given year, if it's a new IP I'd go with August, since it's close to holiday but it's not too competitive yet. Give time for word of mouth to spread for the actual holiday season after the launch sales. As for like actual time of the console generation, like you were saying, I wouldn't wait. That's kinda of dumb. You don't sit on a finished product for years. Anticipation dies and you're sitting on money.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="vashkey"]Depends on the property. In a given year, if it's a new IP I'd go with August, since it's close to holiday but it's not too competitive yet. Give time for word of mouth to spread for the actual holiday season after the launch sales. As for like actual time of the console generation, like you were saying, I wouldn't wait. That's kinda of dumb. You don't sit on a finished product for years. Anticipation dies and you're sitting on money.

I'll add that to the OP, pretend you're not waiting for its release or anything like GT5. Just say you can release a game anytime in the generation with the same amount of hype across the years
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
At launch, less competition. Just look at Resistance: Fall of Man, not even AAA, but with nothing to compete with it sold like 5 million copies. Soon as there was competition it sold what 1 or 2 million.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

There are advantages to all those scenarios. If you have a AAA launch title and it comes out at lunach your in a good spot because you will likely have one of the only good games for a new system so you gonna sell a lot. A mid gen title has the benefit of a higher amount of potential customers and usually devs are more experienced with the hardware. A late gen title has the highest user base although fatigue is probably setting in like now. In in the real world you are gonna release it as soon as possible in a desirable quarter of the year if possible. To make this game you had to spend a ton of money you aren't just gonna sit on it and keep from making you that money back and then some.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I would release it in exactly 18 minutes time

Seriously I would go for summer when kids are all off. There's usually a drought around then that I would capitalise on

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
A launch title is guaranteed sales with the possibility for many cheap sequels.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
In November.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Seriously I would go for summer when kids are all off. There's usually a drought around then that I would capitalise on

seanmcloughlin
I wonder why there is a summer drought? I also wonder why devs/pubs have started releasing so many damn games at the start of the year. I mean the start of the year seems more packed than the holidays. Surely it can't all be because of CoD.
Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

I would aim for late May or early June of any year. Graduation gifts, report card gifts, diploma gifts, break from finals, etc.

November seems to be a hard choice to release a game, whether it's a guaranteed success or not. There is a ton of competition around that time of year.

Zevante101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Zevante101
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

There wouldn't be vast amounts of AAA titles right after a consoles launch, so releasing then would net you quite a few sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

millerlight89

I wonder why there is a summer drought? I also wonder why devs/pubs have started releasing so many damn games at the start of the year. I mean the start of the year seems more packed than the holidays. Surely it can't all be because of CoD.

I have no idea what it is. I would have thought summer time is the perfect time to release seen as kids and students have no school. Maybe they think everyone will be doing summer jobs or something

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Launch Title since if it is guaranteed AAA game than it will also be a guaranteed system seller if it is a launch title; If it releases too late it could get lost in the other games on the system.

But also you have to look at what your competition is doing so for the sequels maybe release it in the Summer since their is usually a drought since most people want to release their games for Holiday.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

I have no idea what it is. I would have thought summer time is the perfect time to release seen as kids and students have no school. Maybe they think everyone will be doing summer jobs or something

I'm thinking they want apart of that holiday season (Black Friday through New Year's Day) so they release their game closer to Black Friday so they wouldn't be forgotten when Christmas shopping comes along.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I'm thinking they want apart of that holiday season (Black Friday through New Year's Day) so they release their game closer to Black Friday so they wouldn't be forgotten when Christmas shopping comes along.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Possibly. Or maybe there's more to it that we don't know about as well. Just seems so odd to have a segment where gamers always say it's a drought and crave more games and not release anything big during it.

Maybe devs want summer holidays :P

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

With the launch of the consoleÂ