Your favorite open world game this gen?

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dragonballz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dragonballz4
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

^^

Question

oh sorry then i say AC series AC 1 was OK but is practically awesome from ACII,Ezio story was awesome and the only thing that destroyed the game was DRM brotherhood corrected that.Seriously the environment the people everything this looks real and has a Great combat system

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
San Andreas is last gen (and it's bad). My pick is Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. Amazing game.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

Saint's Row 2.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Minecraft.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
It has to be Just Cause 2, that game is insanely fun.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Assassin's Creed II inFAMOUS 2 Red Dead Redemption in that order.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Oblivion. And pretty soon Skyrim.
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Red Dead Redemption.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
GTA IV. Followed by Just Cause 2.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Red Dead Redemption

Cheese-Muffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cheese-Muffins
Member since 2008 • 569 Posts

Crackdown

Just Cause 2

Red Dead Redemption

It's too hard to pick just one, so I listed the top three. They're all pretty close as my favorite, with the slight edge to Crackdown 1 because blowing stuff up and collecting orbs is incredibly satisfying.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

TES IV.

Super__FLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Super__FLY
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts
InFamous 2...GTA Sa is last gen..
deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deadlyabdus123
Member since 2011 • 120 Posts
i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game.
dragonballz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dragonballz4
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

Just Cause 2 was great,Mafia 2 should be mentioned

EDIT:how were RDR and LA noire don't have ps3 so i have not played them

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game. deadlyabdus123
GTA4 gets hate because it had atrociously unresponsive controls and ridiculous mission designs. RDR at least gets those two right. But in the end, everyone has different taste, so why don't you stop disproving others of their likings. Besides, you rarely collect things or farm in RDR. Did you actually play the entire game or just the first part?
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sgt_Crow
[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game. funsohng
GTA4 gets hate because it had atrociously unresponsive controls and ridiculous mission designs. RDR at least gets those two right. But in the end, everyone has different taste, so why don't you stop disproving others of their likings. Besides, you rarely collect things or farm in RDR. Did you actually play the entire game or just the first part?

I thought GTA 4 was just as brilliant as RDR. The reason why I prefer RDR myself is because it felt really unique and different.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Nice job dude!!!!deadlyabdus123
Nice spoiler, thanks.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game. Sgt_Crow

I thought GTA 4 was just as brilliant as RDR. The reason why I prefer RDR myself is because it felt really unique and different.

Nah GTA4's controls were just unacceptable. I could live with no checkpoints or uninspired level designs, but if those are coupled with bad controls, the game becomes way too frustrating. If you had no problems with GTA4's controls, you might played it on PC.....
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46650 Posts

The ballad of gay tony

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game. deadlyabdus123

Don't even know the main guy's name. Yeah... I don't think you played it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

In terms of what I think is best? Red Dead Redemption.

In terms of my personal favorite? Prototype.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sgt_Crow
Nah GTA4's controls were just unacceptable. I could live with no checkpoints or uninspired level designs, but if those are coupled with bad controls, the game becomes way too frustrating.funsohng
I thought the controls were really good, didn't have any problem with them. Played it on 360 though, maybe it's different on PS3? No checkpoints during missions could get really annoying though...
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game. funsohng

As I recall, RDR had problems with unresponsive/clunky controls as well. Some people, for whatever reason, only hate on GTA IV though and act like RDR is flawless in this area, when it isn't. Both games have their control issues.

That said, GTA IV's controls aren't nearly as bad as you're claiming. In fact, they're not really that bad at all.

deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deadlyabdus123
Member since 2011 • 120 Posts

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"][QUOTE="funsohng"] GTA4 gets hate because it had atrociously unresponsive controls and ridiculous mission designs. RDR at least gets those two right. But in the end, everyone has different taste, so why don't you stop disproving others of their likings. Besides, you rarely collect things or farm in RDR. Did you actually play the entire game or just the first part?mrmusicman247

Don't even know the main guy's name. Yeah... I don't think you played it.

john mardsten, thats his name, what am i spelling it wrong? either way, u know what i mean, the only game i havnt played is la noire but thats because i read reviews and made the smart decision knowing boring games will bore me, just because a game is 9.0 doesent mean its fun for all. hell fallout 3 bored the hell out of me, the animation disgusted me, its the only game i didnt finish till this one very boring day and sold on ebay the following day.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Oblivion and RDR.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"]Nah GTA4's controls were just unacceptable. I could live with no checkpoints or uninspired level designs, but if those are coupled with bad controls, the game becomes way too frustrating.Sgt_Crow
I thought the controls were really good, didn't have any problem with them. Played it on 360 though, maybe it's different on PS3? No checkpoints during missions could get really annoying though...

PS3 definitely has worst controls, it uses the triggers far too often, and PS3 triggers aren't exactly the best. But what I hate most about it is the car controls and how much delay you have every time you press something. Maybe it's different on 360, I know for a fact it has better FPS, but that delay.... is atrocious.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

almost all of them really.

i'm a sucker for open world.

this gen has been open world nirvana.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sgt_Crow
[QUOTE="Sgt_Crow"][QUOTE="funsohng"]Nah GTA4's controls were just unacceptable. I could live with no checkpoints or uninspired level designs, but if those are coupled with bad controls, the game becomes way too frustrating.funsohng

PS3 definitely has worst controls, it uses the triggers far too often, and PS3 triggers aren't exactly the best. But what I hate most about it is the car controls and how much delay you have every time you press something. Maybe it's different on 360, I know for a fact it has better FPS, but that delay.... is atrocious.

No delay on 360. Didn't know PS3 version had so many problems... :P Maybe you should replay it on 360 because the game is seriously awesome and just as good as RDR.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#32 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Either Far Cry 2 or Assassin's Creed 2.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game. Doolz2024

As I recall, RDR had problems with unresponsive/clunky controls as well. Some people, for whatever reason, only hate on GTA IV though and act like RDR is flawless in this area, when it isn't. Both games have their control issues.

That said, GTA IV's controls aren't nearly as bad as you're claiming. In fact, they're not really that bad at all.

In fact as I recall it, they have the same controls... :P
trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Fallout: New Vegas

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

GTA IV

Runners up:

Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood,Red Dead Redemption,Burnout Paradise,Just Cause 2,Crackdown,inFamous 2,Fallout/NV

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="Sgt_Crow"][QUOTE="funsohng"] GTA4 gets hate because it had atrociously unresponsive controls and ridiculous mission designs. RDR at least gets those two right. But in the end, everyone has different taste, so why don't you stop disproving others of their likings. Besides, you rarely collect things or farm in RDR. Did you actually play the entire game or just the first part?funsohng

Nah GTA4's controls were just unacceptable. I could live with no checkpoints or uninspired level designs, but if those are coupled with bad controls, the game becomes way too frustrating. If you had no problems with GTA4's controls, you might played it on PC.....

I played the PS3 version and had no problem with the controls and am completely lost on what bad controls you are talking about. I also played it on PC with a controller and again, the controls were fine.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Minecraft. Hands down. Nothing else even comes close.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Minecraft for the win.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
I thought these were the most fun: Saints Row 2 Red Faction Guerilla Just Cause 2 Crackdown 2 Keys to the City mode (when I've had a few drinks lol)
TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Minecraft. There is simply nothing like it. Well, FortressCraft and Terraria, but they are basically direct clones, it's still a unique game. Other than that... RDR was very good, as were AC2 and Brotherhood. Never really could get into the inFamous games, always found the first one... I don't know, kinda clunky and bland. I'm sure people love them, and I can see why, it's just personal taste.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

inFAMOUS 2 followed by LA Noire. Funny it took until this year for me to actually enjoy open world games this gen.

Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

SA was last gen, so not that. GTA4 was this gen and mediocre so not that again. I'd say a tie between JC2 and SR2.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="Sgt_Crow"] I thought GTA 4 was just as brilliant as RDR. The reason why I prefer RDR myself is because it felt really unique and different.AmazonTreeBoa

I played the PS3 version and had no problem with the controls and am completely lost on what bad controls you are talking about. I also played it on PC with a controller and again, the controls were fine.

Yeah, same here. The PS3 version's controls aren't any better/worse than on other platforms.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]i knew RDR would be most voted, you know you people are really something. Im sickened and disgusted that such glory goes to this boring ass game. You like it cause of the story and athmosphere but gameplay is almost as boring as LA noire. Yet gta4 gets hate even though it had much more fun missions then the two others combined. Seriously ur farming half the time in RDR mandatorily to progress and your picking up crap and staring at it half the time in noire. that being said, you know what my vote is, INfamous 2, mostly because of the powers to be honest, and ugc extends the life of the game. Doolz2024

It was more of response problem, rather than the actual layout. GTAIV, Niko felt a lot heavier than he should be, going in and out of cover was pain in the ass, running around wasn't really that tight as it should be, the lock-on was way too sticky, etc. GTAIV's controls were IMO not polished. RDR's was. And the car controls were too light. It did make up for very exciting scenes, just speeding through the city, but it also made it extremely hard to control it, especially in high speed.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
GTA IV
DCSullyvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DCSullyvan
Member since 2011 • 320 Posts

Infamous 2/ Saints Row 2. I'm wondering why all my favorite games in genres have 2 at the end of them...

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"] GTA4 gets hate because it had atrociously unresponsive controls and ridiculous mission designs. RDR at least gets those two right. But in the end, everyone has different taste, so why don't you stop disproving others of their likings. Besides, you rarely collect things or farm in RDR. Did you actually play the entire game or just the first part?funsohng

It was more of response problem, rather than the actual layout. GTAIV, Niko felt a lot heavier than he should be, going in and out of cover was pain in the ass, running around wasn't really that tight as it should be, the lock-on was way too sticky, etc. GTAIV's controls were IMO not polished. RDR's was.

I'll agree with you on the cover system. It worked better in RDR.

I never used auto aim in either game so I can't speak for that.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Assassin's Creed II

Oblivion

Fallout 3

Grand Theft Auto IV (don't hate)