Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain 5%
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance 2%
Metal Gear Peacewalker 2%
Metal Gear Portable Ops 0%
Metal Gear Acid 0%
Metal Gear Acid 2 2%
Metal Gear 0%
Metal Gear 2 2%

Fans got what they've been finally waiting for - an MGS 3 remake announcement! Personally, mine is still the original MGS! Was never a huge fan of MGS 3. Didn't care about the survival aspects or the jungle gameplay. Pacing was also meh compared to MGS. They also stripped out what made the previous two games great - the 'philosophical' themes. MGS was was about not being beholden to your past. MGS 2 prophesied the dawn of the Information Age. MGS 3 was about... a guy and his mentor?? Anyway, I digress.

How about you, SW? What is your favorite MGS game?

• 
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

None of the above...

:P

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Damn. Pretty weird take on MGS3 lol.

But yeah, MGS2 and MGS3. Can go either way. Leaning towards MGS3 right now.

MGSV is up there, but for all the great shit it does, it does an equal amount of meh. Great gameplay and tons of it. Poor structure and the mother base aspects detract from it a lot.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24956 Posts

MGS1 by far.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

I always like Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots only because it was the only time I felt Hideo Kojima at the time really push the PS3 to its limits with the cells and Blu-Ray capabilities. It's the only MGS I actually enjoy but Metal Gear: Rising Revengeance is also a close second as it was the best spin-off game around.

I'm surprised Metal Gear Survive isn't on the list and that too is a spin-off.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2080 Posts

MGS4. The multiplayer was also a ton of fun for the short life span it had.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

Smash Bros.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59067 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 1. It has the weakest gameplay of the main entries but the first time experience and atmosphere it quite imprinted very much like Halflife though not quite to that extent.

One of those "woweee gaming" experiences.

-

Was insanely hyped for Metal Gear Solid 2, but I played a lady boy. And it wasn't all on the boat. And the story was all over the place.

It has wild interaction for the day and oodles gameplay detail.

But it mostly annoyed me.

-

3 I like alot. Metal Gear Solid 1-2 have sterile environments and 2 starts to lean more into techno sci-fi, 3 takes a jump back in time with a focus more on outdoor environments. The survival mechanics are abit clunky and ill thought out. But I enjoy it alot more than 2.

-

I don't like Metal Gear Solid 4, too brown. Mechs sounds like cows.

-

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes had a girl gang raped, a bomb shoved up her muff and jumps out a plane because they can't pull it out.

- A Hideo Kojima game

-

Metal Gear Solid 5: the bla bla bla Intro annoyed me, I liked the David Bowie part, then it sucked.

Still need to play it properly

-

Metal Gear Solid (Gameboy) - Cool game everyone overlooks or just forgets about now. Really impressive what they do on such limited hardware with buttons.

----

Have the HD collection sitting about 5 feet away but not motivated to play them. Perhaps one day.

Overall Metal Gear Solid 1 is ok. The others are ok.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45235 Posts

@uninspiredcup: yea I never understood the whole mechs sound like cows thing in MGS 4 lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup

Oh yea, completely forget about Twin Snakes.

That game sucks. The mechanics don't meld with the environment and completely lacks the soul of the original.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner

@robbie23 said:

MGS4. The multiplayer was also a ton of fun for the short life span it had.

Actually yeah, always forget about this lol. Kinda consider MGS4 and MGO2 two separate games. But yes, MGO2 was my favorite part of that package.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Mine might actually be Peacewalker. But... I REALLY like 3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
@TheHighWind said:

Mine might actually be Peacewalker. But... I REALLY like 3.

Friend lauds that as well. Says it's better than 3.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner

I had actually put PW off for a while until it landed in one of those HD collections. Fun game, enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Mission based like V, but more snappy about it, handle all the inbetween stuff through menus. Tons of content too.

Also a more lighthearted MGS, lots of funny moments.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

MGS4 of course.

Though MGS2 is an absolute gem of a masterpiece and one of my childhood games. whole body shakes of nostalgia merely listening to the opening theme. Shame it has zero votes as of my comment.

I think of it gets properly remade to MGS4/MGS5 gameplay mechanic standard it would be the best game ever. Its level design is best in class and the level of polish is matched but no one outside of Nintendo, Naughty Dog and Rockstar North, even 22 years after its release.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24956 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Metal Gear Solid 1. It has the weakest gameplay of the main entries but the first time experience and atmosphere it quite imprinted very much like Halflife though not quite to that extent.

One of those "woweee gaming" experiences.

-

Was insanely hyped for Metal Gear Solid 2, but I played a lady boy. And it wasn't all on the boat. And the story was all over the place.

It has wild interaction for the day and oodles gameplay detail.

But it mostly annoyed me.

-

3 I like alot. Metal Gear Solid 1-2 have sterile environments and 2 starts to lean more into techno sci-fi, 3 takes a jump back in time with a focus more on outdoor environments. The survival mechanics are abit clunky and ill thought out. But I enjoy it alot more than 2.

-

I don't like Metal Gear Solid 4, too brown. Mechs sounds like cows.

-

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes had a girl gang raped, a bomb shoved up her muff and jumps out a plane because they can't pull it out.

- A Hideo Kojima game

-

Metal Gear Solid 5: the bla bla bla Intro annoyed me, I liked the David Bowie part, then it sucked.

Still need to play it properly

-

Metal Gear Solid (Gameboy) - Cool game everyone overlooks or just forgets about now. Really impressive what they do on such limited hardware with buttons.

----

Have the HD collection sitting about 5 feet away but not motivated to play them. Perhaps one day.

Overall Metal Gear Solid 1 is ok. The others are ok.

MGS1 was masterpiece especially for its time.

MGS2 was disappointment and played bit of 3 but feel like its been outdated so 3 Remake will do what RE4 did recently. advantage of remaking it.

have not played 4 and didnot liked ground zero and 5. they are just far cry games with MGS name tag on.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13025 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Your vote)31%

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1580 Posts

MGS 2 Son's of Liberty

MGS3 is a great game, but I can tell it was made "easier to digest" because casuals complained about MGS2 twits and turns plot wise and didn't want to have to think about about a what the story was trying to convey so Kojima made a simple HOLLYWOOD hold your hand narrative so everyone would be satisfied.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39137 Posts

Played 2, 3 and 4. The third one was by far the best.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@Mozelleple112 said:

I think of it gets properly remade to MGS4/MGS5 gameplay mechanic standard it would be the best game ever. Its level design is best in class

That MGS2 "best in class" level design would be absolutely broken by MGS4 and especially MGSVs mechanics lol.

The relationship between mechanics and level design seems such an obvious thing. MGS2 is air tight about this. I really don't know how you could play these games as thoroughly as you claim and not understand this.

It's not some automatic upgrade to transplant mechanics designed for an entirely different type of game. Ironically we already have a case for that with Twin Snakes. And those differences are insignificant compared to the massive difference between MGS2 and MGSV gameplay.

MGS2 already has great mechanics for the type of game it is. A tight corridor puzzle box style stealth game in which action is last ditch. I wouldn't change anything about how it plays tbh.

Sure, you can absolutely remake MGS2 with something like 4 or Vs mechanics. Could even vaguely follow the same scenarios. But you'd have to redo the level design from the ground up to make it work, basically making a different game. Fine if that's what you want. I think it's missing the point if you're throwing out an already great game.

But the idea that MGS2s level design pairs well with these later games mechanics, think it through for just a moment and you'll realize how silly that is.

It's like assuming you can just throw RE4 gameplay into RE1 and have a great game lol.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

Easily MGS 5. Better mechanics, more freedom, competent controls and don't have to hear Kojima's stupidity every 2 seconds.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

All are great but I'd have to say MGS2=MGS1>MGS3=MGS5>>MGS4. Was fun playing as solid snake in the first game then looking up to him as a legend in the sequel. I think 3 is awesome but way overrated compared to the first 2. 5s gameplay was amazing but lacked story. 4s story and presentation was great but it just didn't have enough scope and gameplay. Felt way too boxed in.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

MGS1 was masterpiece especially for its time.

One of the things that really adds to the game (even though it's a typical limitation), and indeed other games like TR2 is the limited vision with black fog cutoff.

On paper saying that sounds stupid, but combine it with the snow, and the overall tone of the game where it's melancholic, get this weird insulator bubble feel generally don't get in games today. Or even it's shitty remake Twin Snakes.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

I enjoyed MGS on the PS1 back in the day. I don't like games with overly long cutscenes though and lost interest in the series after that.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11619 Posts

MGS3 > MGS2 > MGS > PW > MGS5 > MGS4 > MG2 > MG > PO

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

MGS 3 closely followed by MGS 2.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

MGS 1 is my fave, because it's the only one I've beaten. I too, have the MGS HD collection. Will get around to 2 eventually.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: "MGSV is up there, but for all the great shit it does, it does an equal amount of meh. Great gameplay and tons of it. Poor structure and the mother base aspects detract from it a lot."

That's why I have 5 over 3 and 4 easily. I don't care for stories in video games, I'm more about good gameplay= good videogame. MGS5 was definitely the most incomplete game I ever though.

With that being said

MGS1- Top to bottom I was impressed.

MGS2- Big Shell setting sucked but overall very good game.

MGS5- Many flaws but it's gameplay mechanics were impressive.

MGS3- I played through the original version and I felt at this point the mechanics from MGS1/2 seemed outdated. It also didn't have that great moments like with 1 and 2.

MGS4- 70% cutscene 30% gameplay. That was an awful ratio. MGS2 Online was very entertaining though. I really got into that.

No comments on the other games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I like to hear your opinion, did you play Metal Gear Survive?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

Mechanically, and story-wise, it's always gonna be 3. That being said, MGS1 is still one of my all-time favourites.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic

@davillain said:

@SolidGame_basic: I like to hear your opinion, did you play Metal Gear Survive?

Sorry I forgot about Metal Gear Survive lol. I did not play it. It does make me skeptical about the Remake though, because I just don’t know what they will do with it lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic:

Don't know if you saw the screens and blurb Fedor posted in your other thread.

But that shit looks damn near 1:1. Environment layout, prop placement, side paths, crawl spaces, guard types and positions/routes, interactive elements, all in their exact place.

Seems to be very faithful, don't think Survive should affect expectations at all lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Don't know if you saw the screens and blurb Fedor posted in your other thread.

But that shit looks damn near 1:1. Environment layout, prop placement, side paths, crawl spaces, guard types and positions/routes, interactive elements, all in their exact place.

Seems to be very faithful, don't think Survive should affect expectations at all lol.

Hmm. Would you prefer along the lines of Dead Space remake or RE 4 Remake? Dead Space made some good modern tweaks but felt very familiar. Re 4 felt like a new game to me.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic:

Always thought Dead Space was mid, wasn't even interested in the remake lol.

Generally if I think a game is great, I'd rather they not take too many liberties. Most of my favorite remakes are like that. Facelift, sensible improvements, QoL. Otherwise the same core game.

I think MGS3 is awesome. I really don't need a different game disguised in the same story and setting. If I knew for a fact they could make an even better game, sure, I'll take the new thing. But delivering what already works so well, improving on obvious weaknesses, is a safer bet to me.

The whole survival viewer, food system, and camo system were good ideas with clunky execution. Anything to do with menus sucked. Had my own ideas for how to improve these things almost... 20 years back, damn lol. Interested see how they tackle these, or what they keep/drop.

Snakes animations could obviously stand for some improvement. And while I enjoy the classic controls, I'm almost certain they'll deliver something more intuitive. Fine as long as the corresponding mechanics remain intact.

Also imagine they'll bring the free camera closer in, or at least implement some ots aim mode that does that. Not something I care about either way, just seems like something that's likely on their list.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: I’m glad the original cast is coming back. I need me some David Hayter!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

MGS 1, followed closely by 2 and 3

specifically NOT twin snakes

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

MGS1, at the time I didn't mind it's lengthy exposition. Coming off age of Sega CD movie games, incorporating narrative into a real-time rendered game was very unique. Now it has worn out its welcome, at least as far as my ability to tolerate Kojima.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

Snake Eater. A palette cleanser after that convoluted mess that was Sons of Liberty.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

MGS2 and MGS3.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@nintendoboy16 said:

Snake Eater. A palette cleanser after that convoluted mess that was Sons of Liberty.

I know Raiden to this day was a shocker, but still thought it was a brilliant game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39137 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

MGS1 by far.

Let me guess, its the only one you played?🤣

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:

Oh yeah I know for sure lol. Give Raiden a sniper, AR16 and the ability to aim and shoot, fully control a third person camera etc and the level design would be broken.

Which is why we definitely need Kojima & Co. to remake these MGS2/MGS3 tbh lol as the levels need to be resigned. It is not a simple graphics overhaul.

IT is the same as the bullshit excuse Naughty Dog gave for not adding the dodge and prone mechanics to TLOUP1 even though they made them for TLOUP2, because it wouldn't work with the level / enemy design. Like no shit ND, we wanted you to fully redesign your levels, environment and enemy design / encounters to accommodate for those specific changes, to still give a similar level of challenge.

So what my comment should have said is... Imagine MGS2, with MGS4/MGS5 styled controls and combat and new level design adapted to those changes but at the same or higher standard as the original game**

How they will do that I have no idea.

ROCKBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ROCKBO
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

Such a difficult question to answer. MGS1 was my first ever MGS game. I played it at maybe 12 years old. Nostalgia alone makes that a top contender. It helps that its also an amazing game that was so far ahead of its time.

I think MGS3 was the best in the series though. All the gameplay elements they added, the brilliant story... It was a perfect game, especially after they added the free camera movement.

But MGS4 was the perfect ending to snakes story. Just an absolute emotional rollercoaster.

God I don't know....

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

The MGS MC, seems a bit unexciting the more I learn about it.

We had that, what's the difference? Last time it was a lazy collection and this time it's less so? :-S

They may as well just port the 7th gen collection.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

I know Raiden to this day was a shocker, but still thought it was a brilliant game.

Raiden wasn't my problem, oddly enough (mainly because I played MG later than I did Splinter Cell). What he was put through was... huh? I made more sense from Everything, Everywhere, All At Once and I love that film.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1164 Posts

I played a little bit of Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 after my neighbor gifted me his entire collection of pirated games, which at the time I didn’t realize were pirated, but even as a child I knew that something looked wrong with the discs. But the one I actually bought and played myself, and beat, was Metal Gear 4. To me that was the best one, especially online. Woo wee. Good times one hit killing players with the knife. Booted from a lot of matches because of it. Gun v knife, knife won more often than not. I had a ln impressive K/D ratio.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidGame_basic

This is like deja vue. I have this collection for PS3.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3078 Posts

Never played one

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 uninspiredcup

@SolidGame_basic said:

This is like deja vue. I have this collection for PS3.

Me too!

It's nice of Konami to give us the opportunity to pay for it again, but this time double the price.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic
Loading Video...