Your favorite game that didn't get good reviews or was considered a flop?

• 68 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45492 Posts

The one game that comes to mind is The Order: 1886. It was an actually an enjoyable game, although short, and it fell short of its potential. It would be great for Sony to revisit the franchise and invest more into it. It ended up being more of a graphical showcase for the PS4. It's a pretty game, but also has great gameplay moments as well (just not enough of them lol). Anyway, it became a big flop, and the System Wars fanboys had their day.

How about you, SW? Your favorite game that you didn't get good reviews or was considered a flop?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

As always, it depends on the definition of flop. Titanfall 2 was generally well received by critics, but due to an insane release window it didnt sell anywhere near enough. Tf2 had some of the best sp moments ... ever...but ultimately flopped.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I think For Honor was severely underrated. It's one of my favorite new IPs of the gen.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25061 Posts

@sealionact said:

As always, it depends on the definition of flop. Titanfall 2 was generally well received by critics, but due to an insane release window it didnt sell anywhere near enough. Tf2 had some of the best sp moments ... ever...but ultimately flopped.

EA is to be blame for Titanfall 2 marketing.

its excellent SP FPS but they market as MP game.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Thats because it IS a MP game, hence the first game being MP ONLY. I know you're slow, I'll give you all the time you need to process that and understand it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@vfighter said:

@ghosts4ever: Thats because it IS a MP game, hence the first game being MP ONLY. I know you're slow, I'll give you all the time you need to process that and understand it.

First game was. second game is SP game with MP.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • Mad Max
Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

days gone for me. more like an 8 to me. few bugs but it's fun as hell.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44542 Posts

Really vague question because it really depends on what’s considered a “flop”.

Titanfall 2 is an excellent game that didn’t sell well at all so I guess that would be my favourite game that flopped.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#10 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5183 Posts

@gifford38 said:

days gone for me. more like an 8 to me. few bugs but it's fun as hell.

I agree with this, and throw in Mad Max.

Both weren't genre changing or defining, but they were solid AA games

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56406 Posts

For me, its Mass Effect: Andromeda. While it gets hated among the fans who like the previous trilogy, I personally enjoy Andromeda myself and for all the criticism it got, the gameplay was fun and while the story was bad writing, (which is true) the gameplay was more fluid then the trilogy set.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is underrated & a flop but its my favorite IP as a Mass Effect spin-off of the series.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#12 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

Titanfall 2

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

1. Death Stranding. I know it got a 9/10 on GS and 83 on MC so not bad, but I am one of those that hyped it to be in the 95-99 MC and 11/10 @ GS/IGN range. It wasn't as good as I hoped (the same way The Dark Knight Rises is the biggest disappointment ever but still a solid 8/10 or even 9/10 movie)

2. Days Gone. Not a bad game at all. 6/10 basically means its cancer in the gaming world, so by gaming standard it should be low 9s. a great 8/10 game IMO.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Commercial sales:

• Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  • Terranigma
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • The Granstream Saga
  • Dragon Valor
  • Shenmue
  • Shadow of Memories
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
  • Deadly Premonition

Critical reviews:

• Zero Divide
  • Toshinden 2
  • The Granstream Saga
  • Dragon Valor
  • Legend of Mana
  • Resident Evil Survivor
  • Shadow of Memories
  • Drakengard
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4
  • TERA Online

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

I really liked Risen 2. The combat was janky, the story nonsensical, and you played as a pirate that never got to sail a ship, but there was something about the atmosphere that really hooked me

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

This gen it would be Ryse, the SP was passable but the MP for me is where it shined, I hit level 200+ and spent about 40hrs+ in MP alone.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59323 Posts

Flop is easy as there are lots of top kek games that flopped. Like, almost every game by Looking Glass Studios title sold like shit.

Games shat on?

Probably E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, which is one of the most bizarre and unique FPS I've played.

It might not succeed at being the best FPS/RPG but it's definitely one of the most memorable.

Good luck figuring out wtf is going on, in general.

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371  Online

I’d also add the following to flops that I enjoyed:

• Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Ryse
  • Sunset Overdrive
my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1272 Posts

I'm just going to limit myself to this gen and games that didn't get good reviews, and my answer is Rage 2.

It has issues (bog standard open world, glitchy, meh driving) but it's still very enjoyable. Scratches a similar itch to Doom.

Andromeda is close 2nd.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Gonna limit it to metacritic and anything that went below 80, because we all know this mediums journos only use the 7-10 scale.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege: absurd reviews on that game, so many tried to act like they were above that shit dunking on some stupid single player add on shit and "mah content" yet that game has more depth than any FPS that isn't an arena FPS or named Counter Strike, frankly it's better than Counter Strike. Then the journos tried to get on some meme take about how the game started suspect, but became great. GTFO, that game played great since day damn 1. Some technical issues here n there, but it didn't get that much more polished, the core loop was godlike from the get go. It's Ubisoft's best game since, shit it might actually be Ubisoft's best game.

God Hand: Gaming media history will remember God Hand as some niche, cult darling that had some cool ideas that people love for its cheese. Me I could take it or love it on the cheese, but it's rightfully beloved by the Action game community, because it's one of the greatest action games ever made. It has a far more free form system than what Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta offer, and unlike Devil May Cry it has enemies that actually require you to use more of its tools. As far as the action game that has the best balance between the core tools n options the player has versus the stuff the opponents can do, God Hand is the best game in the genre at that. We haven't gotten a single action game that could deliver on that front since Doom: Eternal in a completely different genre.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45492 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Gonna limit it to metacritic and anything that went below 80, because we all know this mediums journos only use the 7-10 scale.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege: absurd reviews on that game, so many tried to act like they were above that shit dunking on some stupid single player add on shit and "mah content" yet that game has more depth than any FPS that isn't an arena FPS or named Counter Strike, frankly it's better than Counter Strike. Then the journos tried to get on some meme take about how the game started suspect, but became great. GTFO, that game played great since day damn 1. Some technical issues here n there, but it didn't get that much more polished, the core loop was godlike from the get go. It's Ubisoft's best game since, shit it might actually be Ubisoft's best game.

God Hand: Gaming media history will remember God Hand as some niche, cult darling that had some cool ideas that people love for its cheese. Me I could take it or love it on the cheese, but it's rightfully beloved by the Action game community, because it's one of the greatest action games ever made. It has a far more free form system than what Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta offer, and unlike Devil May Cry it has enemies that actually require you to use more of its tools. As far as the action game that has the best balance between the core tools n options the player has versus the stuff the opponents can do, God Hand is the best game in the genre at that. We haven't gotten a single action game that could deliver on that front since Doom: Eternal in a completely different genre.

I fee like Six Siege never really got the props that its due in general. One of the best MP games I played this gen. Wow, God Hand has a 9.2 user score on metacritic. Would like to play it some day. Hopefully they do a remaster or something lol.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

Days Gone. The game sold well, but the reviews were mediocre. When I first started playing it, I didn't think I would like it... then I ended up platinuming the game with 80 hours on the clock. It's not the best open world game, but once I started getting into it... I had fun.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I fee like Six Siege never really got the props that its due in general. One of the best MP games I played this gen. Wow, God Hand has a 9.2 user score on metacritic. Would like to play it some day. Hopefully they do a remaster or something lol.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

BLACK (PS 2)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Spec Ops the line. Both critical and commercial flop. But for what it sets out to do, it does very well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70399 Posts

Darksiders 3 was a solid game despite the reviews.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup  Online

@Pedro said:

Darksiders 3 was a solid game despite the reviews.

It had solid reviews.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16018 Posts

The order 1886 is a fav by many in system wars. I myself is a fan of the game, hope there is a sequel planned and with bigger ambitions.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#29 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I really enjoyed Folklore for what it was

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44681 Posts

I remember Metroid Other M getting pretty bad reception at launch, mostly for its narrative, but that aside I thought it was rather fun. Team Ninja did a great job on their part, the narrative problems stem from Nintendo's end.

I also recall Dead Space 3 getting tons of hate at release, mostly over human enemies, cover mechanics, and presence of microtransactions. I even hated the demo myself, but the actual game was rather good. Not Dead Space 2 good but enjoyable for me as a fan of the series. Microtransactions were mainly just shortcut to upgrades you get in the game so I never took issue with those.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

Legend of Dragoon

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Last Gen

Shadowrun (FPS) highly enjoyable, was plagued by negetive reviews for being MP only at the time, but was one of the best MP shooters on consoles, was also one of the first games to support cross play between consoles and PC.

its funny to see how this gen games like OW were praised where one gen back this was seen as a big negative.I loved shadowrun, had a group of friends that played daily.

This gen

Paragon (moba). Best moba imo, ive played plenty of dota 2, league, and smite, but none come close to paragon for me. Had a core group that played together, we were all pissed when the game got discontinued because fortnite blew up and EPIC decided to move all the guys working on paragon to work on fortnite.

They did release the assets tho, there are 2 companies currently working on new versions of paragon, one is called Fault I forget the name of the other one. But both plan on releasing on PC then PS4 like og paragon was. Paragon had a solid community... Then fortnite took over and screwed us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

@uninspiredcup said:

Flop is easy as there are lots of top kek games that flopped. Like, almost every game by Looking Glass Studios title sold like shit.

That's because they were shit

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Never played System shock 2 pinky??

Bioshock on other hand is babies system shock.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@pinkribbonscars: Agree with Risen 2, and id extend that to pretty much any PB game.

They are janky AF with bad combat mechanics but are very charming, have well balanced economies and you start out super weak so progress and making your character stronger is very satisfying.

Very few RPGs get that stuff right anymore

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Too Human. The game was universally panned, but I enjoyed its online multiplayer. Button mapping, RPG elements, and generally the game ramped up the difficulty, but once you got that down, there’s actually a lot of fun to be had.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

@ghosts4ever said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Never played System shock 2 pinky??

Bioshock on other hand is babies system shock.

Overrated, just like every Ken Levine game

@Sevenizz said:

Too Human. The game was universally panned, but I enjoyed its online multiplayer. Button mapping, RPG elements, and generally the game ramped up the difficulty, but once you got that down, there’s actually a lot of fun to be had.

Yeah I loved Too Human. Also Prototype, especially the first one.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever

@pinkribbonscars said:

Overrated, just like every Ken Levine game

one of the best game ever made pinky.

it also have most complex level design.

Pinky, i guess you should stick to animu girly JRPGs my friend..

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371  Online

I too enjoyed Too Human. Certainly not a great game or anything but I did have fun with it and was kind of hoping to see the story continue.

I also enjoy the Bionic Commando reboot. It got pretty poor reviews and sales.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

@davillain-: I agree. I actually think Andromeda was better than ME3. I don't care much about the akward running animations. Gameplay and gunfights were fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@pinkribbonscars: I think prototype is rated perfectly. And enjoyed both games in the series. Don’t know of it flopped commercially tho.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Aren't you that fellow who likes Assassins Creed 2?

Far be it for me to judge, while I certainly respect your opinion in most cases, here I must unfortunately disagree.

:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

@uninspiredcup said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Far be it for me to judge, while I certainly respect your opinion in most cases, here I must unfortunately disagree.

Assassins Creed 2 is amazing. Dunno what it has to do with this thread though since it didn't flop.

But back on topic. Gee, I wonder why this abomination didn't sell

lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 uninspiredcup  Online

@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Assassins Creed 2 is amazing. Dunno what it has to do with this thread though since it didn't flop.

lol

Where's Champ when you need him.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts
  • Heavy Metal: Geomatrix on the Dreamcast. Arena brawler/shooter that used the same engine as Capcom's Spawn arcade game, but was much better. This game isn't so much underrated as almost completely forgotten.
  • Geist on Gamecube. A FPS where you play a ghost that can posses people, animals, and some inanimate objects. Choppy frame-rate and loose controls hold it back from greatness, but the core concept is good enough to make this worth playing.
  • Wet. This is the game I always wished Max Payne was.
  • Alice: Madness Returns. Reviews weren't terrible, but they all talked about how dated it felt. To me it was more of a "they don't make 'em like they used too" type of experience.
  • Twisted Metal 2012. Same thoughts as Alice, though I will admit the story in the main campaign was ass.
  • MotoGP 10/11
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@uninspiredcup said:

lol

Where's Champ when you need him.

Entire Assassins creed 2 is just glorified tutorial. Thief on other hand is game made for men with big muscles.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Thief is made for skinny men who hide from men with big muscles.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:

Thief is made for skinny men who hide from men with big muscles.

I actually prefer Hitman and Splinter cell over thief because thief didnot age well currently.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

I actually prefer Hitman and Splinter cell over thief because thief didnot age well currently.

Wait what, visually? Sure I guess, but still one of the stealth greats, and you have mods to clean some things up if it's that much of a bother.

And as much as I enjoyed the older Hitman games, I remember thinking the animation was a bit jank even back then, pretty sure it would look laughably bad now. But still a good game is a good game.

Not every stealth game gets to age as gracefully as CT visually. Aside from some repetitive and wack ass looking character models, game holds up well.