Your 2017 "Backlog GOTY" (mark spoilers, please)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Figured it would be entertaining to take the temperature of the room on this question:

Which game among your back catalog did you play and complete this year that was not released in 2017 (or considered a 2017 release)? And as a follow-up, would you retroactively consider it in its respective year's GOTY conversation?

I've already dedicated a separate thread to one of my backlog highlights, Life Is Strange (found here), so to avoid redundancy I'll instead highlight another title worthy of acclaim:

A game I was deeply intrigued by when it originally debuted, I couldn't find the time to commit to completing it until earlier this spring. And while it's certainly not a game everyone will enjoy (the exploration of its subject material and the requisite energy and attention required of a player does, at times, come across as pompous), its take on AI and the sunset of mankind is thorough and thought-provoking.

Beyond its narrative, it is a puzzle game that does a praiseworthy job of introducing new elements at a measured pace that keeps a player wanting to progress. It walks the line of not overstaying its welcome by keeping players from remaining on one puzzle type or mechanic for too long and provides the player with a reason to return and really delve into the game's deepest secrets by providing challenges that will mire the brains of even the most adept. If you have the patience for it, there's a great payoff and satisfying experience to be had for a game that is mainly oriented for the PC community.

To answer my own question, I would retroactively consider The Talos Principle one of the 5 best games of 2014. Overall 2014 was not a gangbuster year and was largely noteworthy for housing the releases of the Wii U's top games (SSB, MK8, Bayo 2), remasters, and the dismal debut of Destiny. But looking back, the game that took home most GOTY honors then was Dragon Age: Inquisition, a title I've not seen hold up well in retrospect (largely because Witcher 3 exists). The Talos Principle, consequently, certainly lives up to the title of being an overlooked gem.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Funny, I can't think of anything I played this year and completed for the first time that was part of my backlog prior to 2017, and if they were games that came out prior to 2017 I only recently acquired them so they don't count. Maybe Dead Rising 4 but that barely came out before the year's end.

One game I'm currently working on from my backlog is SMTIV: Apocalypse.

I picked up some older releases and am playing through them, like the Telltale Back To The Future, Bioshock Collection. I finished South Park Stick of Truth, the current gen version that I only acquired recently with Fractured But Whole, but I did have the Xbox 360 version digitally but never finished so I guess that kind of counts.

Bad year for me tackling my older backlog, I must admit, but at very least I knocked out a bunch of more current additions to my backlog.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I didn't really play anything major that came out in previous years, but I will support any pro-Talos Principle thread. That game is amazing and doesn't get enough recognition

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

I think that's one of the few games I've finished this year. Was a fun. Extremely good AI.

The weapons are too unbalanced with unlocks that become nullified almost immediately, and the game ends awkwardly and unsatisfying. It walks a fine line between straight up FPS and immersion sim in a way very few games have though and it's dark deco art-syle running no the Quake 2 engine still golds up reasonably well. Bare bones revenge story where you play an edge-lord who can't say two words without swearing.

Unfortunately this came out in 1999. System Shock 2, Age Of Empires II, Planescape Torment, Unreal Tournament, Homeworld, Legacy Of Kain, Tiberium sun etc...

It was treated as a mid tier game, good, but drowned out quickly. And now a retrospect curiosity.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Best backlog game that I played this year was Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I enjoyed the story, expressive animations, environmental puzzles and overall feel of the game. It was a short and sweet experience. The game is from 2013 which was pretty stacked for great games. Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider, GTA V, Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, BF4, and others. So, I would not put it as a GOTY candidate for 2013, but it is still a great game.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I beat Halo 4 for the first time yesterday. Great game.

It came out in 2012. After a quick google search. No. Halo 4 would NOT be my GOTY for 2012.

Mass Effect 3 is my favourite game of 2012. Halo 4 would be a close second.

The Walking Dead would be third.

Journey or Persona 4 to round out the 4th or 5th spots.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

One game that comes to mind, as far as Indies are concerned anyways, is "SuperHot". Last year when I first heard about the game I immediately dismissed it, just didn't look interesting. I bought it on sale afterwards after hearing a lot of praise and seeing more footage. I got around to playing it more this year and finished the main mode, it was hard to put down once I got into it, it's a pretty cool concept, controlling your character in slo-mo to escape various ambush scenarios. A memorable experience for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I put like 600 hours into Max Payne 3 this year. Yes, it's my game of year 2012.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Basinboy

@BassMan said:

Best backlog game that I played this year was Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I enjoyed the story, expressive animations, environmental puzzles and overall feel of the game. It was a short and sweet experience. The game is from 2013 which was pretty stacked for great games. Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider, GTA V, Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, BF4, and others. So, I would not put it as a GOTY candidate for 2013, but it is still a great game.

Here here. Excellent game and too often not mentioned.

@ezekiel43:

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Basinboy said:

@ezekiel43:

Yeah, I got really into the multiplayer. My prior 120 or so hours were mostly in single player, over the course of a few years.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Bloodborne. GOTY 2015.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I finished Fallout 4 early this year. I can't really say it's backlog though.

Since late spring, I've been on a STALKER binge, starting with a second playthrough of Call of Pripyat. I resumed playing it after several mods addressed the ugly look and the many glitches of the engine.

Since September(?) I've been playing the mod, Call of Chernobyl. It turned the CoP world into a much bigger world, encompassing all the maps from the other STALKER games. The free-roam aspect is much more comprehensive than say, Reset Outpost mode in the Far Cry games. I'll probably be playing it well into February.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#13 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Bioshock Infinite was in my back log for a long time. Finished it in January of this year and it was fantastic.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Basinboy

@Sam3231 said:

Bioshock Infinite was in my back log for a long time. Finished it in January of this year and it was fantastic.

I'm beyond infatuated with Bioshock Infinite. Welcome to the conversation of one of the most polarizing games ever.

Which platform did you play it on, if I may ask?

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

goldeneye007. currently playing a bit of original medal of honor and laughing at what a joke it is compared to james bond. goat rare at its best

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#16 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

@Basinboy said:
@Sam3231 said:

I'm beyond infatuated with Bioshock Infinite. Welcome to the conversation of one of the most polarizing games ever.

Which platform did you play it on, if I may ask?

PC.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#17 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and it'd probably be my 2015 GOTY.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Basinboy

@Sam3231: I ask because I usually find that those who dislike Infinite have been console players, as a plurality. There’s a definite sacrifice to the game’s performance fidelity but I wonder if there’s a gameplay disconnect when using a controller.

I actually platinumed Infinite on both PS3 and PS4 after my initial playthrough on PC (and numerous times subsequently), my infatuation is that immense.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@lamprey263: How is SMTIV Apocalypse? I really enjoyed IV, would you say this one is also worth getting?