Yahtzee: Why regenerating health *****

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zxcqweasd1
Member since 2011 • 273 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8719-Extra-Punctuation-Why-Regenerating-Health-Sucks

"Before the health regeneration glut in shooters, health was a resource you had to manage carefully. It added a new element to the battlefield - if your health was low all you could do was try to sprint to some kind of restorative before you succumbed. And if there wasn't a source of health nearby, you just had to be extra careful. And weren't those the most exciting parts of a game like Half-Life, when you've scraped through an encounter with several organs missing and your arms hanging off so now every health point counts and your wit must be about you at all times?"

100% agreed.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I actually think looking for health packs suck

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

chikenfriedrice

agreed

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
I know i was just shot 4 times, let me hide behind this magic wall and the bullet wounds go away! hurray! Health regen sucks, it just gives noobs a second chance.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Totally agreed. I definitely like the "luck bar" idea. Though, I personally prefer games based on "points" rather than "health." Since then you don't have to die and your result is based on skill, not luck.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
I prefer the ones that have health recharge, but only to certain intervals. So if your health goes down to 26% then it will recharge up to 50%, but if goes down to 24% then it would only go up to 25%. Pretty sure Just Cause 2 did this (though that game was to easy, so I need a better example)
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

zxcqweasd1

agreed

Casuals. You're killing gaming.

my money actually keeps gaming alive thank you and also what is casual about not liking health packs

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I know i was just shot 4 times, let me hide behind this magic wall and the bullet wounds go away! hurray! Health regen sucks, it just gives noobs a second chance.Nick3306

The "realism" argument is definatly the wrong one to make, one way or the other.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I do prefer health packs although I honestly don't mind regenerating health... it's not that bad.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
If games are striving to be realistic, healthpacks make no sense either. I like health regeneration, because I play games like a man.
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DireOwl

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

zxcqweasd1

agreed

Riiiiiiiiiiight we're casual because we don't like health packs. :roll:

ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="Nick3306"]I know i was just shot 4 times, let me hide behind this magic wall and the bullet wounds go away! hurray! Health regen sucks, it just gives noobs a second chance.topgunmv

The "realism" argument is definatly the wrong one to make, one way or the other.

he's not using the realism argument however. read the article the whole first page is about saying that health packs are unrealistic also.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Regenerating health impacts how you play a game significantly. All the sudden, actually getting hit isn't a concern, you just have to avoid getting it too much. There is never a need to conserve health, you are far less tactical about it.

I do miss that feeling I got in the Quake days, when I'm one or two hits away from dying; and I'm frantically dodging. Gives you a real sense of achievement when you survive and finally find a health pack, a experience to tell your friends about.

You know, a achievement? Back when that actually meant something.

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DireOwl

I know i was just shot 4 times, let me hide behind this magic wall and the bullet wounds go away! hurray! Health regen sucks, it just gives noobs a second chance.Nick3306

Maybe if you get more head shots you wouldn't have to worry about the noobs second chances. ;)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Depends on the game. In Halo, for example, it makes sense, it fits into the game world, and there's health below the shields that you usually need a pack to restore.

Blanket statements like "regenerating health sucks" don't really work, because it can be done well.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

He has some valid points, i'm agree for the most part.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Depends on the game. Regen health isn't bad however it has its own flaws. Be it encouraging poor level design, removing the exploration from shooters, removing the challenge etc.

chikenfriedrice
and there is rarely a shooter today where it actually encourages you to look anywhere other than down the irons.
zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zxcqweasd1

[QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

agreed

DireOwl

Riiiiiiiiiiight we're casual because we don't like health packs. :roll:

Yup.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I can't believe I actually agree with him for once.

Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

I like how Halo Reach does it

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

health packs almost killed gaming in the first place. Like in the original Halo, they create situations where it's literally impossible to progress without starting the mission over. I won't buy another fps that has health packs.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkLink77

Depends on the game. Regen health isn't bad however it has its own flaws. Be it encouraging poor level design, removing the exploration from shooters, removing the challenge etc. [QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

skrat_01

and there is rarely a shooter today where it actually encourages you to look anywhere other than down the irons.

Seriously.

How come no one complains about this? This has had a far worse impact on the FPS genre than regenerating health ever will.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44711 Posts
picking on regenerative health is ridiculous since many things in video games are unrealistic, you never just walk over a dead enemy and magically get their 15 bullets without looting them, and just as magically you don't have to manage your ammo by unloading the ammo from partially full clips into full clips, plus who heals themselves by walking over a health kit, health kits are for paper cuts at work and crap, you'd need like a surgeon bag to get started treating the 300 bullets you've been struck with in the last 10 minutes of gameplay, and like 20 doctors trying to stop you from dying... I mean, with anything you can criticize a game for don't let regenerative health ruin things for you, and sure I like Yahtzee too but he's not god and I'm not just going to regurgitate anything he says just because I like his cynical commentary
zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zxcqweasd1

health packs almost killed gaming in the first place. Like in the original Halo, they create situations where it's literally impossible to progress without starting the mission over. I won't buy another fps that has health packs.

2-10-08

No offence, but that just shows how crap of a player you are: you can't play an FPS without having to wait behind a wall to regenerate - where's the challenge in that?

If you have to restart the mission and then play more skillfully then so be it.

This is such a dumbed down gen.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Yahtzee's a funny dude, but he's far too wrapped up in nostalgia-land. I was about to agree with regenerating health being kind of lame, then he mentions how you "scraped through an encounter with several organs missing and your arms hanging off so now every health point counts and your wit must be about you at all times". That reminded me of some of my most hated parts of playing games. Half Life, Allied Assault, even Max Payne weren't any more fun because you were constantly hunting for health packs and keeping an eye on the indicator. I actually just remember the frustration of reloading a savepoint, getting messed up because of low health, then having to reload it again and again.

So, in other words... health packs suck.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

i liked resistance fall of man health regen system, it only regens some of it..

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Nick3306"]I know i was just shot 4 times, let me hide behind this magic wall and the bullet wounds go away! hurray! Health regen sucks, it just gives noobs a second chance.ironman388

he's not using the realism argument however. read the article the whole first page is about saying that health packs are unrealistic also.

I'm referring to the argument the person I quoted is making.

That's why I quoted them.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

I like both systems i don't know why they can't coexist

zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zxcqweasd1

picking on regenerative health is ridiculous since many things in video games are unrealistic, you never just walk over a dead enemy and magically get their 15 bullets without looting them, and just as magically you don't have to manage your ammo by unloading the ammo from partially full clips into full clips, plus who heals themselves by walking over a health kit, health kits are for paper cuts at work and crap, you'd need like a surgeon bag to get started treating the 300 bullets you've been struck with in the last 10 minutes of gameplay, and like 20 doctors trying to stop you from dying... I mean, with anything you can criticize a game for don't let regenerative health ruin things for you, and sure I like Yahtzee too but he's not god and I'm not just going to regurgitate anything he says just because I like his cynical commentarylamprey263

Maybe you should actually read the article. He's not complaining about a "lack of realism;" he establishes that in the very first paragraph.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
I like both. Depends on the game and how it's done. I don't think it needs to be all one way or the other. UT and KZ (for instance) complement each other well.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

I hate health regen, it's a plague to shooters. All it does is make the game noob friendly and encourage corridor shooters filled with cutscenes. When you don't have to look for health in a shooter, there's nothing else to look for so exploration isn't neccesary.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JuarN18

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

zxcqweasd1

No offence, but that just shows how crap of a player you are: you can't play an FPS without having to wait behind a wall to regenerate - where's the challenge in that?

You are so bad you can't kill somebody before their health begins to regenerate!

this argument can go both ways

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
It's kinda funny, because the original Halo didn't even have regenerating health. It had normal health, and a *shield* that could recharge.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

It's kinda funny, because the original Halo didn't even have regenerating health. It had normal health, and a *shield* that could recharge.PannicAtack

That's still my favourite system of health (though it obviously doesn't apply anywhere) just in the fact there was a strategy towards taking down an opponent. If we ignore the pistol for a moment, I remember having a blast running around Battle Creek with nothing but a plasma pistol, assault rifle, and as many grenades as I could possibly toss. Overcharged shot downs shields, rifle shreds through health bars, grenades clean up the stragglers :)

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]It's kinda funny, because the original Halo didn't even have regenerating health. It had normal health, and a *shield* that could recharge.Sharpie125

That's still my favourite system of health (though it obviously doesn't apply anywhere) just in the fact there was a strategy towards taking down an opponent. If we ignore the pistol for a moment, I remember having a blast running around Battle Creek with nothing but a plasma pistol, assault rifle, and as many grenades as I could possibly toss. Overcharged shot downs shields, rifle shreds through health bars, grenades clean up the stragglers :)

And in any case, it made sense in context - the suit had a system that, if got put under too much stress, had to cool down.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

I prefer the ones that have health recharge, but only to certain intervals. So if your health goes down to 26% then it will recharge up to 50%, but if goes down to 24% then it would only go up to 25%. Pretty sure Just Cause 2 did this (though that game was to easy, so I need a better example) paradigm68

Oh yes the Chronicles of Riddick one. Also Resistance and Medal of Honor: Airborne had it. Or also the F.E.A.R. one were you had medkits but you could collect a certain amount and use them whenever you wanted and it also had a partial regen up to certain point.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
From a gameplay stance, I've always preferred health packs. The regenerating health is stupid - most of the time you don't even know how much health you actually have. Quite annoying.
zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 zxcqweasd1

[QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

JuarN18

You are so bad you can't kill somebody before their health begins to regenerate!

:lol:

Oh please. That argument doesn't work at all in single player (since enemies rarely come with regen health) and as for multiplayer, give me a break bro. Are you saying games like Halo/COD require more skill than CS1.6 and Quake III?

[spoiler] They don't. [/spoiler]

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]

zxcqweasd1

Oh please. That argument doesn't work at all in single player (since enemies rarely come with regen health) and as for multiplayer, give me a break bro. Are you saying games like Halo/COD require more skill than CS1.6 and Quake III?

Comparing games that are primarily designed for consoles to games that are designed for PCs in the skill department doesn't help your argument. And for a console shooter, Halo takes a rather large amount of skill, especially at high levels of play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

As opposed to before when you got shot 4 times and then grabbed a chicken leg or bandaid which magically cured you of all problems? I'm not much of a shooter player today, but I used to play them all way back when they first started coming out. Way back in the Castle Wolfenstein shareware days. And I have to disagree. The change from Health packs to health regen has not changed gameplay one bit.

zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zxcqweasd1

[QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]

[QUOTE="JuarN18"] You are so bad you can't kill somebody before their health begins to regenerate!

DarkLink77

Comparing games that are primarily designed for consoles to games that are designed for PCs in the skill department doesn't help your argument.

Why? Also COD started on PC and is still on PC. Halo is also on PC. Hell it was meant to be be PC exclusive before M$ bought it for XBox.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

zxcqweasd1

agreed

Health regen does not equate to casuals. In fact you can make the gameplay a lot harder and more intense if the player isn't limited to a few health boosts sprinkled around the level.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]

zxcqweasd1

Comparing games that are primarily designed for consoles to games that are designed for PCs in the skill department doesn't help your argument.

Why? Also COD started on PC and is still on PC.

Um... KB+M vs a controller, for one. And Call of Duty isn't designed as a PC game anymore. It's a multiplat primarily focused on consoles.
zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zxcqweasd1

[QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Comparing games that are primarily designed for consoles to games that are designed for PCs in the skill department doesn't help your argument.

DarkLink77

Um... KB+M vs a controller, for one. And Call of Duty isn't designed as a PC game anymore. It's a multiplat primarily focused on consoles.

What does that have to do with regen health vs health pickups?

Are you implying analog sticks limit the player so much that health regeneration is essential? Remember Goldeneye?

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

Health regen sucks when done badly (IE - makes game too easy, trivializes content), and health packs suck when done poorly (IE - constant interrupt of flow of the game with the chore of backtracking for health). Each one is dandy when done thoughtfully. Ultimately, I'm a fan of a hybrid system like Halo 1, or different systems like Tribes regen pack builds or AvP Predator power-bar-usage heals.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JuarN18

Oh please. That argument doesn't work at all in single player (since enemies rarely come with regen health) and as for multiplayer, give me a break bro. Are you saying games like Halo/COD require more skill than CS1.6 and Quake III?zxcqweasd1

Maybe not, but saying that those games don't require any skill is wrong, and games like halo can be hard even with regenerating health

Chubith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chubith
Member since 2003 • 345 Posts

I have been gaming since the atari, and I dont want a return to health packs but I also think that pure regenerating health is not much better. I actually prefered the system in resistance 1, halo 1 worked well too. hell even bad company 1 was decent, you had to heal yourself. I personally would take regen health over health packs to cut down on frustration. Consoles would never survive health packs as you dont have the accuracy needed to survive most encounters. All and all I consider it the lesser of two evils.

zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 zxcqweasd1

[QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]:lol:

Oh please. That argument doesn't work at all in single player (since enemies rarely come with regen health) and as for multiplayer, give me a break bro. Are you saying games like Halo/COD require more skill than CS1.6 and Quake III?JuarN18

Maybe not, but saying that those games don't require any skill is wrong

I didn't say that dude.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="zxcqweasd1"]

zxcqweasd1

What does that have to do with regen health vs health pickups?

Are you implying analog sticks limit the player so much that health regeneration is essential?

No, I'm implying that 1) limited control options on a gamepad and 2) the inherent necessity of auto-aim brought about by analog sticks, and thus, slower gameplay make for games that generally take less skill. You can have a game that takes skill on a console, with or without regenerating health. Halo 3, for instance, is very competitive. Sure, it's not Tribes 2 or Quake 3, or UT 2K4, but it's still a competitive game.