X-Play gave Chrono Cross the "Most disappointing sequel ever"

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts
I usually lol at X-Play with the rest of the crowd, but I agree 100%. CC was a good rpg on its own, but as something that is supposed to have relation with Chrono Trigger, it fails hard. The closet tie CC has with CT is a secret boss battle. 10. PDZ 9. Neo Contra 8. MGS2 7. KotoR 2 6. Banjo: Nuts & Bolts 5. FFX-2 4. RE5 3. Mario Sunshine 2. DMC2 1. Chrono Cross
ff7cloudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 ff7cloudking
Member since 2005 • 3161 Posts

Ugh...I hate when people say things like that about Chrono Cross. IMO it was the perfect sequel to Trigger, its just that the story was way to complex for most people to figure out any of the connections that exist between the two games. It actually took me a few years to figure it out properly.

EDIT: But the connections between the two games are there, and are (kind of) big.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

link please? i wanna read this, as for that i agree chrono cross was total and utter trash.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
ughhhhhhhh The game was pure awesome and a AAAAe :o lol
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Goddamn, DMC2 was such a stinker. They should throw up GTA IV and Mercenaries 2.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I agree with everything on that list except for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. Other than being buggy and the ending, it was better than KotOR 1 in pretty much every way.

Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

The whiny fans that dismiss Chrono Cross because it's not the lighthearted direct sequel to Chrono Trigger annoy me to no end. Trigger, while a great game, is riding mostly on nostalgia factor while Chrono Cross brought a much more complicated and mature story to the table that remains a high point in game storytelling. Until I played Xenosaga Episode III finally, I'd considered Chrono Cross the last truly great JRPG story (not to say there haven't been "good" ones since then, but nothing on that level), and I continue to stand by that, almost 10 years later. If they started making more sequels of the same calibur as Chrono Cross, JRPGs wouldn't be in such a sad state right now.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Goddamn, DMC2 was such a stinker. They should throw up GTA IV and Mercenaries 2. wstfld
UGHHHHH Mercs 2 .... how can you butcher one of the most fun games on the PS2 .... into a stinker of a sequel.
ff7cloudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 ff7cloudking
Member since 2005 • 3161 Posts

The whiny fans that dismiss Chrono Cross because it's not the lighthearted direct sequel to Chrono Trigger annoy me to no end. Trigger, while a great game, is riding mostly on nostalgia factor while Chrono Cross brought a much more complicated and mature story to the table that remains a high point in game storytelling. Until I played Xenosaga Episode III finally, I'd considered Chrono Cross the last truly great JRPG story (not to say there haven't been "good" ones since then, but nothing on that level), and I continue to stand by that, almost 10 years later. If they started making more sequels of the same calibur as Chrono Cross, JRPGs wouldn't be in such a sad state right now.

Melkari

Yeah...yeah I agree. But I honestly dont think that any RPG, wether it be Japanese or otherwise will ever beat the one told in Chrono Cross. There might be stories that are just as good as it, but I seriously dont think we will see a better one. At least not anytime soon.

black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
A game with an average score of 9.2 is the weakest sequel ever :?
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

That's actually a good list, I'm surprised. :P

gmc2u_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 gmc2u_64
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts should've been in the Top Five IMO...

ABigNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ABigNo
Member since 2009 • 140 Posts

chrono cross was the best...

Overclockd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Overclockd
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts

Disappointing? Maybe for some people.

Most Disappointing? Not even close. I suppose it's a good way to increase page views though.

Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

It's a disappointing sequel because it didn't have enough in common with Chrono Trigger? I thought it was a GOOD thing it wasn't like Trigger...

Might as well call every Final Fantasy game after the first a terrible sequel simply because the only thing they'd have in common is spell and summon names.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2???

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps2/913941-metal-gear-solid-2-sons-of-liberty/index.html

It's no 24 best rated game of all time on Gamerankings....with an average review score of 95%

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps/197909-metal-gear-solid/index.html

As a matter of fact, it's better rated than Metal Gear Solid 1, which is 68th best ranked of all time and has an approx. 93% average review score...

XPlay fails on that one.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Chrono cross was one of the most inane games ever, with the most trivial of connections with chrono trigger and most had to be invented in the ps1 release of chrono tigger *with its extra cutscenes and story concepts that didn't exist in the snes original* It wasn't complicated it was just inane it didnt continue the story therefor it wasn't a real sequal it was just a cash in.

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

Ugh...I hate when people say things like that about Chrono Cross. IMO it was the perfect sequel to Trigger, its just that the story was way to complex for most people to figure out any of the connections that exist between the two games. It actually took me a few years to figure it out properly.

EDIT: But the connections between the two games are there, and are (kind of) big.

ff7cloudking
I read some of the encyclopedia entries about the story over at Chrono Compendium a few years back. It is kind of crazy complex. http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Main_Page.html
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#19 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

ff7cloudking

I dont understand why people think Chrono Cross is so bad either.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Brownesque

Did anyone else notice that Chrono Cross got a 10/10 here on Gamespot?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

Not to mention a 9.2 average review score and a 9.3 user average review score...

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

So they dont like it because its different? idiots. Had it been similar to Trigger, it would be impossible for it to be better.

RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 RandolphScott
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
They nailed that one. The many little ties to the first game that were removed only partially, (Guile IS Magus, but is not recognized as such in the version that shipped to retailers) and the move to a huge scatter shot of characters resulted in none of them being developed very well.... at all.
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

Bad list is bad. Where is Age of empires 3?

RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RandolphScott
So they dont like it because its different? idiots. Had it been similar to Trigger, it would be impossible for it to be better.Scythes777
Zone of the Enders 2 is very similar to the first game. But no one can make a competent argument that it isn't superior in every feasible way.
Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts

I never played either, can someone give a quick summery of both games story lines? I'm just curious.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

Not to mention a 9.2 average review score and a 9.3 user average review score...

Brownesque

That score clearly indicates that X-Play is objectively wrong.

Games that scored 10/10 cannot be disappointing to anyone. If they could disappoint, they wouldn't get a perfect score.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

PC games missing is really disappointing. I mean that is the one catagory they are king of the disappointments. Doom 3. Age of Empires 3. My god the list goes on and on.

RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RandolphScott

I never played either, can someone give a quick summery of both games story lines? I'm just curious.

Hellsing2o2
Wiki it, it's complicated.
RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RandolphScott

Games that scored 10/10 cannot be disappointing to anyone. If they could disappoint, they wouldn't get a perfect score.sonicmj1

I really do hope that was an attempt at sarcasm.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

link please? i wanna read this, as for that i agree chrono cross was total and utter trash.

WilliamRLBaker
wooooow.....youre probably like one of the only 5 people in the universe to think that
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
MGS2 also? X-Play fails pretty hard.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]

sonicmj1

Games that scored 10/10 cannot be disappointing to anyone. If they could disappoint, they wouldn't get a perfect score.

Thanks for your caricature and strawman. I'm not the one that objectively claimed Chrono Cross to be the "most disappointing sequel ever."
g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 g805ge
Member since 2009 • 474 Posts

Chrono Cross was garbage, its nothing more than a dumb downed Chrono Trigger.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lethalhazard

That's like considering Final Fantasy VII as a disappointing sequel to VI because they aren't the same. Damn fools.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lethalhazard

Chrono Cross was garbage, its nothing more than a dumb downed Chrono Trigger.

g805ge
How was it dumbed down? It was much more complicated.
Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts
[QUOTE="Scythes777"]So they dont like it because its different? idiots. Had it been similar to Trigger, it would be impossible for it to be better.RandolphScott
Zone of the Enders 2 is very similar to the first game. But no one can make a competent argument that it isn't superior in every feasible way.

To be fair ZoE had its problems that hindered it, 2nd Runner improved on nearly everything. With Chrono Trigger, the game was almost perfect when it came out so it would be hard to improve on Trigger.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sonicmj1

[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]

Brownesque

Thanks for your caricature and strawman. I'm not the one that objectively claimed Chrono Cross to be the "most disappointing sequel ever."

Do you think that X-Play believes that their list is authoritative and cannot be challenged? Looking at any "Top __" list on the internet must make you incredibly angry, if that's how you feel about these.

If you don't, then how does the Gamespot score, average score, and user score have any relevance to Chrono Cross's place on the list?

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

As if I needed another reason to hate X-Play, honestly those guys are just a bunch of doichbags.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
MGS2, KotoR 2, RE5 and Mario Sunshine were excellent games,
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

sonicmj1

Do you think that X-Play believes that their list is authoritative and cannot be challenged? Looking at any "Top __" list on the internet must make you incredibly angry, if that's how you feel about these.

If you don't, then how does the Gamespot score, average score, and user score have any relevance to Chrono Cross's place on the list?

Of course they realize it can be challenged, that doesn't stop it from being full of hubris. How do you think it has relevance to its place on the list? Does something garnering that kind of critical acclaim really need to be panned as "most disappointing sequel of all time?" Why can't I show the review? What is your freaking problem?
RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RandolphScott
MGS2, KotoR 2, RE5 and Mario Sunshine were excellent games,IronBass
Never played KOTOR 2, but I agree with you about RE5, at the least. That game, once you get past the same old controls, and learn to work with the AI, (or play online a lot) is just more of what made RE4 great. It just looks a lot better. Once I got the harder difficulties, infinite ammo Hydra, and the grain filter, it went from good to fantastic.
Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

well what do we expect from them they give fable 2 GOTY.

Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
Those jokers need to take Banjo:N&B and SMS off their list.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lethalhazard

well what do we expect from them they give fable 2 GOTY.

___gamemaster__
Exactly. It's no wonder they're forced to show Cops all day, that network is fail.
RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RandolphScott
Looking at the list again though, DMC2 being lower on the list by any amount that Cross is absurd. Cross was a poor sequel, but a great game overall. DMC2 was a gross butchering of verything that made the first game great, and it was just a plain bad game that was no fun at all to play. Don't even get me started on Dino Crisis 3.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sonicmj1

[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

Brownesque

Of course they realize it can be challenged, that doesn't stop it from being full of hubris. How do you think it has relevance to its place on the list? Does something garnering that kind of critical acclaim really need to be panned as "most disappointing sequel of all time?" Why can't I show the review? What is your freaking problem?

It could be disappointing for reasons completely separate from its quality. I haven't seen the X-Play countdown, and I haven't played CC, but my understanding is that many fans of Chrono Trigger liked its lighthearted tale, and didn't appreciate the direction Chrono Cross took the series or the way it portrayed Trigger's protagonists and their actions in the first game.

I mean, it isn't as if this is the first time it's shown up on a list of disappointing sequels.

You can bring up the review if you like, but I'm curious what the purpose behind doing so was. I don't think its acclaim here at Gamespot is relevant to whether it is disappointing or not.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

sonicmj1

It could be disappointing for reasons completely separate from its quality. I haven't seen the X-Play countdown, and I haven't played CC, but my understanding is that many fans of Chrono Trigger liked its lighthearted tale, and didn't appreciate the direction Chrono Cross took the series or the way it portrayed Trigger's protagonists and their actions in the first game.

I mean, it isn't as if this is the first time it's shown up on a list of disappointing sequels.

You can bring up the review if you like, but I'm curious what the purpose behind doing so was. I don't think its acclaim here at Gamespot is relevant to whether it is disappointing or not.

That's a legitimate point. Let's just say I wanted to share and leave it at that.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I personally would have had YI: DS on ther but that's just cause I'm a fanboy :P The list isn't bad though. I mean its a list of disappointments, not bad games.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I like Chrono Cross (no random battles). I guess I like it because I've never played Chrono Trigger and Cross is an awesome game by itself so I can't be disappointed. If I ever get a DS, I will buy Trigger but even then, I won't say Chrono Cross sucks because it's different.

As for the list, I'm surprised they didn't put Halo 2 in the list.