Xenoblade Chronicles: Why you shouldn't listen to the internet

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5898947/xenoblade-chronicles-the-kotaku-review

Although it is Kotaku, I read the review (which the reviewer states you should still buy the game) which offered a more objective look at the game then all the other reviewers I've read so far. I don't believe that an "open" world or "tons" a quest merit a "revolution" that so many reviewers are calling this game for the genre, nor the best. The game's design looks very archaic imo as well, but just very well implemented (Due to Takahashi of course). That being said I believe the game will be very solid and I'm purchasing the game due mostly to the fact that the OST is so damn good (I love Yoko Shimomura's tracks).

My short conclusion: Very well made game. Not the design that future RPGs should follow imo.

Side note: He won it for me when I too found the similarity from Chu Chu (Xenogears) to Riki lol. Oh Takahashi

Also who else who hasn't played the game yet is buying??? Oh and for System Wars sakes to make this thread relevant. It should have been on the PS3/360/PC *runs*

Note: I know Monolith is owned by Nintendo as well. Just adding fuel lol

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Yeah, I've had it pre-ordered since it became available at Gamestop. I hear the game is good but some EU RPG fans I know said it is a tad overrated. I'm not insanely hyped for it but this and The Last Story are pretty much the only good JRPG's on the Wii outside of Fire Emblem.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

as opposed to games like skyrim that got way more hype and had more reviewers turn their head and present it as a game it was not?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I haven't played it yet but I preordered it and have it paid off in full. I will pick up my Preorder tomorrow.

For your System Wars comment. (It might be better in HD) But the only way it could be in HD is if Nintendo waited for the Wii U since Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo but I know that was just a joke to make it relevant to System Wars.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Wait so you haven't played this game but you are saying it's archaic and not revolutionary?

Where's that Paper Mario picture when you need it :P

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
Kotaku is desperate for hits plain and simple. Most of his complaints are nitpicky at best
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

lolkotaku.

So much in there was factually wrong, as is most of the content that comes from that joke of a site :lol:

"If you're not the right level for a given challenge or boss, it doesn't really matter what you do. You will lose." - Factually wrong, there is a significant level range that you can beat bosses, and your party organization and skill strategy/point allocation is infinitely more important than your level.

"The world also doesn't deserve to be stuck with this story, a thoroughly dull affair" - lmaooooo

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
I'm going to hold my judgment on this game until I actually play it. You know, like you should do.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

I'm going to hold my judgment on this game until I actually play it. You know, like you should do.IAmNot_fun

Yeah, it seems like OP is trying to form a "it's not as good as everyone else says" opinion before he even plays it.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5898947/xenoblade-chronicles-the-kotaku-review

Although it is Kotaku, I read the review (which the reviewer states you should still buy the game) which offered a more objective look at the game then all the other reviewers I've read so far. I don't believe that an "open" world or "tons" a quest merit a "revolution" that so many reviewers are calling this game for the genre, nor the best. The game's design looks very archaic imo as well, but just very well implemented (Due to Takahashi of course). That being said I believe the game will be very solid and I'm purchasing the game due mostly to the fact that the OST is so damn good (I love Yoko Shimomura's tracks).

My short conclusion: Very well made game. Not the design that future RPGs should follow imo.

Side note: He won it for me when I too found the similarity from Chu Chu (Xenogears) to Riki lol. Oh Takahashi

Also who else who hasn't played the game yet is buying??? Oh and for System Wars sakes to make this thread relevant. It should have been on the PS3/360/PC *runs*

hayato_

I had a lot of fun with it if I were to describe it I would say a good mish mash of WRPG(open world) and JRPG (crazy insane story flashy combat.)

I like the fact that its an actually RPG, you know with stats and customizability. I would take this design anyday over the dumbed down JRPG like Final Fnatasy 13.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

What a dumb OP. Have you even played it?

>"why you shouldn't listen to the internet"
>kotaku is an internet site

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
Kotaku is the new IGN. (and I don't mean that in a good way)
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eponique

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]I'm going to hold my judgment on this game until I actually play it. You know, like you should do.Yangire

Yeah, it seems like OP is trying to form a "it's not as good as everyone else says" opinion before he even plays it.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I havent played the game,but from what iv seens it looks like a very well made jrpg. However from everything iv seen and heard it doesint come off as revolutionary in any shape or form. Everytime I ask what makes it so revolutionary to those who played it I never get response of how it is. I just keep hearing is a really good game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Where's that Paper Mario picture when you need it :PEponique
 I find it funny that this image is still relevant after all these years.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hayato_

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]I'm going to hold my judgment on this game until I actually play it. You know, like you should do.Yangire

I think it will be very good. I'm looking forward to it tomorrow. Its design, I've seen before though. Thats it.:)

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Off topic but can someone tell me if Xenogears is worth playing or is it an "amazing for its time" kind of deal. I bought it on PSN and while I'm doing a good job ignoring the horrible load times and graphics the story hasn't pulled me in after 7 hours thus far.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I just got my copy extremely excited to play it.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IAmNot_fun
[QUOTE="Eponique"]Where's that Paper Mario picture when you need it :Pfoxhound_fox

Is that actually in-game? Thousand Year Door?
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eponique

I havent played the game,but from what iv seens it looks like a very well made jrpg. However from everything iv seen and heard it doesint come off as revolutionary in any shape or form. Everytime I ask what makes it so revolutionary to those who played it I never get response of how it is. I just keep hearing is a really good game.

finalfantasy94
I haven't heard it called revolutionary, but I did hear that it was a breath of fresh air for console JRPGs and the game that everyone has been waiting for since the start of the gen. I guess that can come off as "revolutionary" but it isn't exactly.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
People act like its the second coming. Im buying it but im not OMG BEND ME OVER IM READY hyped. Final fantasy will always be king
pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts

Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game, try it yourself before you judge. Another note you really shouldn't listen to the person writing the article because he is also from the Internet.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts
Is that actually in-game? Thousand Year Door?IAmNot_fun
The game is Super Paper Mario. It was released on the Wii in 2007. And yes, that picture is actually from the game. That charmeleon Francis accurately depicts fanboys of all types, including those here at System Wars.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Eponique"]Where's that Paper Mario picture when you need it :PIAmNot_fun

It's in game but it is from Super Paper Mario.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eponique

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Eponique"]Where's that Paper Mario picture when you need it :PIAmNot_fun

Super Paper Mario and yep it's in-game.

Edit: beaten :x

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

Eponique

I haven't heard it called revolutionary, but I did hear that it was a breath of fresh air for console JRPGs and the game that everyone has been waiting for since the start of the gen. I guess that can come off as "revolutionary" but it isn't exactly.

When the review flood came in I did see that word pop up and I never understood why.Not to come off as a jerk or anything but what makes it a breath a fresh air? Is it just the fact you have a huge map compared to other jrpgs?

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eponique

[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

finalfantasy94

When the review flood came in I did see that word pop up and I never understood why.Not to come off as a jerk or anything but what makes it a breath a fresh air? Is it just the fact you have a huge map compared to other jrpgs that dont have one?

Probably all the towns, loveable characters/NPCs, massive overworld etc. I haven't played the game so I'm not sure myself.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="Eponique"] I haven't heard it called revolutionary, but I did hear that it was a breath of fresh air for console JRPGs and the game that everyone has been waiting for since the start of the gen. I guess that can come off as "revolutionary" but it isn't exactly.Eponique

When the review flood came in I did see that word pop up and I never understood why.Not to come off as a jerk or anything but what makes it a breath a fresh air? Is it just the fact you have a huge map compared to other jrpgs that dont have one?

Probably all the towns, loveable characters/NPCs, massive overworld etc. I haven't played the game so I'm not sure myself.

ah thought you played it. I was just wondering in a gameplay form how is breath of fresh air is all. I dont pay attention to comments involving characters and world since those are highly based on opinoin. To be honest i got tired of stuff like giant towns and uber giant maps in my jrpgs. I dont mind a quick little town and I can get around to shops and such and be on my way and after ff12 im just fine with no more giant maps. Imma pick it up down the line since I have a big backlog and right now in the middle of tales of grace which im highly enjoying.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nintendo_Ownes7

I will get it next week, it looks interesting. How is the story and voice acting.TheGuardian03
I don't know about the story I now that some said it dropped in quality halfway through.

The Voice Acting in the US version is the same as the EU version. I had no problems when I watched some videos because I didn't mind it.

blamespace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blamespace
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
OP says "why you shouldn't listen to the internet" and then proceeds to use an internet gaming site as his source. Brilliant.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I pretty much agree with everything in that review. It's not bad but people are overexaggerating how revolutionary and awesome it is. The game has a very mmorpg-ish feeling to it, something I consider bad considering it's not a mmorpg. The characters are boring as hell except one of them and the main character Shulk is hmm, I'm trying to come up with a main character I disliked more but I can't so he has to be at least in my top 3 of "most disliked main characters"-list. It's most definitely worth playing to as it completely owns most other jrpgs this gen (looking at you NIS-America!!!). I kinda wish more people would agree, makes me feel a bit frustrated when I feel like the only one thinking this isn't Jesus version.2

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

finalfantasy94

ah thought you played it. I was just wondering in a gameplay form how is breath of fresh air. I dont pay attention to comments involving characters and world since those are highly based on opinoin. To be honest i got tired of stuff like giant towns and uber giant maps in my jrpgs. I dont mind a quick little town and I can get around to shops and such and be on my way and after ff12 im just fine with nomore giant maps.

I heard it plays similar to FF12 and some said it was FF12 should've been gameplay wise.

I will play it tomorrow when I pick up my preorder.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="Eponique"] Probably all the towns, loveable characters/NPCs, massive overworld etc. I haven't played the game so I'm not sure myself.Nintendo_Ownes7

ah thought you played it. I was just wondering in a gameplay form how is breath of fresh air. I dont pay attention to comments involving characters and world since those are highly based on opinoin. To be honest i got tired of stuff like giant towns and uber giant maps in my jrpgs. I dont mind a quick little town and I can get around to shops and such and be on my way and after ff12 im just fine with nomore giant maps.

I heard it plays similar to FF12 and some said it was FF12 should've been gameplay wise.

yea from what iv seen the game I can think of that has most in common with it is ff12 as you said.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hayato_

Off topic but can someone tell me if Xenogears is worth playing or is it an "amazing for its time" kind of deal. I bought it on PSN and while I'm doing a good job ignoring the horrible load times and graphics the story hasn't pulled me in after 7 hours thus far.

Pray_to_me
Yeah, but the second disc (second part) is horrid.
enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

hayato_

sure if your interested in having half the content just to get better textures... there is a reason why FF 13 was filled with killing corridors, and not much else

David719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 David719
Member since 2007 • 2187 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

finalfantasy94

yea from what iv seen the game I can think of that has most in common with it is ff12 as you said.

That's what I've heard as well. Speaking of which how is Final Fantasy XII? I'm considering buying it, but the game seems to have very mixed reactions within the fandom.

EDIT: fixed the quote

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

>kotaku

Stopped reading there

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hayato_

ah thought you played it. I was just wondering in a gameplay form how is breath of fresh air is all. I dont pay attention to comments involving characters and world since those are highly based on opinoin. To be honest i got tired of stuff like giant towns and uber giant maps in my jrpgs. I dont mind a quick little town and I can get around to shops and such and be on my way and after ff12 im just fine with no more giant maps. Imma pick it up down the line since I have a big backlog and right now in the middle of tales of grace which im highly enjoying.

finalfantasy94

I'm in the future arc. Asbel's character really makes the game hard for me to play.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Pray_to_me

It has the best story on a console, that sh*t cannot age. Even if that could possibly be arguable, it is a irrefutable fact that it has the best characters and story in a JPRG. Fei's depth alone obliterates all JRPG characters, you'll soon see what i mean by that. 7 hours isn't really anything, it was a mediocre experience for me at that mark aswell. I don't remember any load times being horrible, though i do remember that it took a few hours for me to get hooked.

But man, it hooked me after a certain time, especially wen other characters start showing up and wen some epic music starts kicking in. F*k, i love that game. Finished it a year ago, took me 58 hours if i recall correctly.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

So? This review is the only accurate because TC agrees with it? Yep, makes sense...

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts
I'm going to hold my judgment on this game until I actually play it. You know, like you should do.IAmNot_fun
If people only discussed things about which they actually have knowledge of there would be no SW...
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hayato_

So? This review is the only accurate because TC agrees with it? Yep, makes sense...

madsnakehhh
I agree with it in a design sense, I don't know about the game yet.
[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]I'm going to hold my judgment on this game until I actually play it. You know, like you should do.Frostbite24
If people only discussed things about which they actually have knowledge of there would be no SW...

I haven't passed such judgement yet on the actually game. It looks to be great and I hope so.....
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

hayato_

And yet, you claim that we shouldn't listen to the Internet but hey Kotaku is not the Internet right?

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IAmNot_fun

[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

madsnakehhh

And yet, you claim that we shouldn't listen to the Internet but hey Kotaku is not the Internet right?

Nah man, Kotaku is..... extranet.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hayato_

[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

madsnakehhh

Nope. I just used the quote from the article for the title in light of every other article praising it calling it a revolution and best when the design has been done before. Also after watching some videos and reading some other reviews I've always held the stance that the game is probably fun, addicting, and solid, but not the best or a trend I would like to see as the future for the genre. It looks old, but well done and considering who was directing it, I wouldn't expect any less. As a matter of fact. It just looks "safe".

Note: and yes Kotaku is part of the internet along with all the other websites, forums, reviewers, users, entrepreneurs, etc, etc

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I'd rather future JRPGs follow Xenoblade than crap like FFXIII thats for certain.

Brown-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Brown-9
Member since 2011 • 753 Posts

Nope. I just used the quote from the article for the title in light of every other article praising it calling it a revolution and best when the design has been done before. Also after watching some videos and reading some other reviews I've always held the stance that the game is probably fun, addicting, and solid, but not the best or a trend I would like to see as the future for the genre. It looks old, but well done and considering who was directing it, I wouldn't expect any less. As a matter of fact. It just looks "safe". Note: and yes Kotaku is part of the internet along with all the other reviewers, users, entrepreneurs, etc, etchayato_

The genre's future on consoles at this stage is questionable at best. For a game to receiving this much attention, be it through hype or genuine merit, is a bit of a shock, I think.

JRPGs are moving away from consoles to handhelds. If the genre can endure through mimicry of Xenoblade (and by extension, whatever games it took cues from), I'd certainly welcome it.