XBOX ONE's Original goal was 200 million consoles sold?

• 79 results
SithPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SithPS
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

"The goal that the team had was to figure out how could we sell 200 million game consoles," he said. "We've never seen a console sell that many units. The biggest individual console, the PS2, did 120 million or something like that."

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-previous-xbox-head-wanted-sell-200-million-xbox-one-consoles

Crazy that they've only reached 20% of that goal in the previous 5 years and 4 months. It paints a pretty vivid picture and explains the reason why their transitioning to a service available everywhere.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

It makes sense to get the games everywhere but it is strange to invest in 1st party studios to allow the games on other platforms.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

Crazy xbox one even sold 20% of that figure. It should have sold less.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@crossbra: Hi BlackBalls’ new account

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Sevenizz: Did blackballs get banned?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@vfighter: No, he (finally) closed his account - and this ‘new’ account pops up keeping with tradition of Xbox hate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Probably the most failed console in history, when all is said and done. MS wanted a champion; what they got was a dud, at best. At worst, they got a laughingstock of a console that everyone makes fun of. And as a result, lems are a laughingstock.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Well this is awkward

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

Win10, PC/X1's gaming OS at about One Billion...

Phony, is doooomed...

lolol :P

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@subspecies: Selling around 40m consoles is nowhere near failed, never mind most failed in history.

Have fun on these boards, but try and stay within the realms of reality.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

September 2016

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes

Xbox kne hasn't been a failed platform Sony and Nintendo have sold at historic numbers so it puts it in perspective.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@sithps:

Nope. Goal was 5 times more!

"Xbox One: Microsoft aims for 1 billion lifetime sales"

https://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-microsoft-aims-for-1-billion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Oh well.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

I recently did that 2 bucks for 2 months gamepass deal and I’ve noticed all of Microsoft’s exclusive games are on it- it’s strange to me you can essentially get all of their games on a streaming service. Like I just rented crackdown 3 from the video story for 8 bucks and then realized I could have played it for 2 dollars for 2 months on gamepass because it was on there on release day.

The Microsoft Studio games this gen have tried to go for something new but most have flopped due to low budgets or poor game design. When I think of games like sea of thieves, state of decay, quantum break, super luckys tale etc I don’t see games that are making a huge impact or will be remembered in the future like other games are today.

At least both the Forza franchises are doing well. I downloaded FH4 on gamepass too and I can’t believe how phenomenal that game looks, feels and plays. The production value is top notch- where’s that love and care for the rest of your games, Microsoft?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Sevenizz: Oh that's right he said he was going to "leave" if Crackdown 3 scored higher then a 4/10 or something close to that. Hi blackballs, you didn't stay away for long.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@sithps said:

"The goal that the team had was to figure out how could we sell 200 million game consoles," he said. "We've never seen a console sell that many units. The biggest individual console, the PS2, did 120 million or something like that."

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-previous-xbox-head-wanted-sell-200-million-xbox-one-consoles

Crazy that they've only reached 20% of that goal in the previous 5 years and 4 months. It paints a pretty vivid picture and explains the reason why their transitioning to a service available everywhere.

Yeah they were crazy and probably stupid as well since the PS2 didn't sell 120 it sold 156 millions some 36 million more units.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11132 Posts
@mowgly1 said:

@sithps:

Nope. Goal was 5 times more!

"Xbox One: Microsoft aims for 1 billion lifetime sales"

https://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-microsoft-aims-for-1-billion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units/

I came here to post this. Imagine being so far up your own ass that you believe you can sell your console to one in every six or seven people. Microsoft is nuts.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: agreed. They say so much insane bullshit that just gets forgotten. Good thing we have proper cows that don’t forget.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2946 Posts

It is easy to set goals. Reaching them is another thing. So Mattrick expected about 100 million people to pay $500 for an xbox so they could watch TV? And then the other 100 million would buy it to play games?? A mighty plan indeed...

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robert_sparkes

Expecting 200 million consoles shows how out of touch ms were at the back end of last gen.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@sealionact said:

@subspecies: Selling around 40m consoles is nowhere near failed, never mind most failed in history.

Lol it’s a failure , especially when last gen Sony and MS were pretty much a tie by the end of the gen.

I’m sorry but Sony being at 100mil and MS being at 40 mill , Is pretty bad. Especially when MS was at the top last gen and now pretty much in sewers scavenging for scraps is pretty much the worst failure in gaming history. It’s just sad that you’ve blinded yourself with BS that you’re not able to see it .

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69722 Posts

@daredevils2k said:

Lol it’s a failure , especially when last gen Sony and MS were pretty much a tie by the end of the gen.

I’m sorry but Sony being at 100mil and MS being at 40 mill , Is pretty bad. Especially when MS was at the top last gen and now pretty much in sewers scavenging for scraps is pretty much the worst failure in gaming history. It’s just sad that you’ve blinded yourself with BS that you’re not able to see it .

Must be embarrassing to not know the meaning of failure but still use it. Yikes!

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sealionact
@daredevils2k said:
@sealionact said:

The only BS around here is you whiteknighting and agreeing with an opinion saying x1 is the worst failure in gaming history. That's not even debatable, seeing as it's currently in the top 10 best selling consoles of all time list.

People blinded by a rage induced hatred for a collection of plastic and circuit boards may not be able to see that.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daredevils2k

@Pedro said:
@daredevils2k said:

Must be embarrassing to not know the meaning of failure but still use it. Yikes!

Wow you’re just now finding out that I’m a failure when it comes to life? man you must a failure too if you’re now just finding this out .

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@daredevils2k said:

Wow you’re just now finding out that I’m a failure when it comes to life? man you must a failure too if you’re now just finding this out .

TMI there buddy, we are just discussing the term failure not your life as a Ex Xbox fanboy. Know the difference. :)

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 daredevils2k

@sealionact said:
@daredevils2k said:
@sealionact said:

The only BS around here is you whiteknighting and agreeing with an opinion saying x1 is the worst failure in gaming history. That's not even debatable, seeing as it's currently in the top 10 best selling consoles of all time list.

People blinded by a rage induced hatred for a collection of plastic and circuit boards may not be able to see that.

Aww someone is butthurt because theyve just found out that the XB1 is the worst failure in modern game history :(

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@daredevils2k said:

Aww someone is butthurt because theyve just found out that the XB1 is the worst failure in modern game history :(

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sealionact
@daredevils2k said:
@sealionact said:
@daredevils2k said:
@sealionact said:

Ah, debating skills clearly lacking, the common forum troll goes for the lowest common denominator.

Predictable.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Nothing's ever gonna sell as much as PS2. PS2 only sold as much as it did because it was a cheap DVD player, and no other console can be made to offer that kind of value. I wouldn't be shocked if the number of PS2 owners with 0-2 games is actually higher than the number of Wii owners with only Wii Sports.

For that same reason, I believe that PS4 and maybe Switch will ultimately end up being more successful/profitable than PS2 was overall, even though I "only" expect PS4 to hit 115-130 million and Switch to hit 80-110 million.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#33 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Xbox will sell 150m consoles in the next 12 months. You people just watch.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

A company creating a product that they think they will sale a ton of. Who would ever of thunk it. I love that an alt account had to post a bullshit thread like this. Fanboys the disease to gaming.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

You missed a fun era in System Wars. The most delusional fanboyism I have ever bared witness to in my 30+ years of gaming. The XBox fanbase was so looped on the koolaid that they believed a "general entertainment console" wouldn't fall flat on its face not even a generation after Sony had to fire Kuturagi and re-engineer the "Entertainment Super Computer" to be affordable.

Light was dark, dark was light. Kinect was the future. Used games were anticonsumer. $500 was a value proposition. Gaming-centic consoles were for children... Oh, my word, Lems took the express train from Delusionville to Crazytown. It was so brutal that many of those lems don't show their face around here anymore, although, some of these newer hostile lemmings could be their alts coming out of the woodwork.

True_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 True_Link
Member since 2019 • 243 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

You missed a fun era in System Wars. The most delusional fanboyism I have ever bared witness to in my 30+ years of gaming. The XBox fanbase was so looped on the koolaid that they believed a "general entertainment console" wouldn't fall flat on its face not even a generation after Sony had to fire Kuturagi and re-engineer the "Entertainment Super Computer" to be affordable.

Light was dark, dark was light. Kinect was the future. Used games were anticonsumer. $500 was a value proposition. Gaming-centic consoles were for children... Oh, my word, Lems took the express train from Delusionville to Crazytown. It was so brutal that many of those lems don't show their face around here anymore, although, some of these newer hostile lemmings could be their alts coming out of the woodwork.

Is this really true?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@sealionact said:

Yes it is even more when you set a 200 million goal and you don't even get half way there, so the xbox one is a double failure it sold poorly 40 million in 5+ years is nothing, by today standards and it fail because MS goal far far out of reach.

If not the worse failure the wii u is actually worse from all angles specially since Nintendo actually won last gen.

@Xabiss said:

A company creating a product that they think they will sale a ton of. Who would ever of thunk it. I love that an alt account had to post a bullshit thread like this. Fanboys the disease to gaming.

Hahahahaa man you really get trigger by the smallest thing say about MS.

Is not the first time MS over estimate what it can sell don't forget the 1 billion gamers 360 remark on 2005.

I don't think you should be on this forum, thread are made here daily against MS Nintendo and sony this forums is basically moved by fanboys you included.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@phbz: I'm going to live on the sun. You just watch and I'll be on tv.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

The new gen Xbox won't sell over 100 million. People keep sating that it will sell over 100 million. My friend said he will make out with his dog, which is a female, if Xbox 2 get less than 60 million in sales. He also said he add a threesome if sells less than 20 million.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Well those are some lofty ambitions for any company.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sealionact

@tormentos: Goodness, I've got all the cows frothing at the mouth with a statement like "Xbox one is not the biggest console failure ever".

You may want to read up on Atari 5200, Atari Jaguar, Phillips CD-I, Commodore cd32, 3do, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Sega Master system, Wii-u and dozens of others that have sold millions less, and earned their developers way, way less money.

It hasn't matched expectations certainly, but biggest fail ever?

Please.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@tormentos said:
@Xabiss said:

Hahahahaa man you really get trigger by the smallest thing say about MS.

Is not the first time MS over estimate what it can sell don't forget the 1 billion gamers 360 remark on 2005.

I don't think you should be on this forum, thread are made here daily against MS Nintendo and sony this forums is basically moved by fanboys you included.

ROFL you think I am triggered by this. Fanboys again the disease to gaming and Tormentos is the perfect example of this.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Remember when you had to be a certain level before posting? I 'member.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 daredevils2k

@sealionact said:
@daredevils2k said:
@sealionact said:
@daredevils2k said:
@sealionact said:

Ah, debating skills clearly lacking, the common forum troll goes for the lowest common denominator.

Predictable.

But yet you didn't give us a reason why selling 40 mil compared to sony 100mil isn't a failure. Which is the reason why MS is going the service route next gen and teaming up with Nintendo, because they know they are failing in the console market. but so much for your so called "DEBATING SKILLS"

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sealionact

@daredevils2k: Now we're debating. Much better than the tired old "lol... triggered" response.

I didn't give you a reason why xbox is a failure compared to ps4 because I never denied it. Xbox has sold 40m, ps4 100m....xbox has failed to compete on sold consoles.

What I did say - if you read the thread - was that I don't think any level headed person could seriously suggest that it is the biggest failure in the history of consoles....

But hey, if it makes people sleep better saying it's more of a failure than the long list of consoles below it in the "best selling consoles list" then who am I to deny them that pleasure?

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

LOL, they fell far short of their goal, no wonder they are abandoning the console business and chasing after clouds now.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Think Phil and Satya are doing a good job in righting the philosophy of xbox one launch. Hardware doesnt matter as much as people have more than just consoles. Think its brilliant with MS finding ways to get games in the hands of gamers by any means possible.

Beautiful seeing the success of the xbox adaptive controller and making it easier for people to play games, then with gamepass/xcloud coming down the road. Just the potential of xbox eco system on a larger scale with billions of gamers in reach.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@subspecies said:

Probably the most failed console in history, when all is said and done. MS wanted a champion; what they got was a dud, at best. At worst, they got a laughingstock of a console that everyone makes fun of. And as a result, lems are a laughingstock.

Well then, you don't know your history or you're just another MS hating cow alt. Know your history before you spout off inaccurate shit.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@true_link said:
@Shewgenja said:

Is this really true?

Oh yeah if I remember correctly lol