Xbox One or Project Scorpio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I understand the power difference between the two system however as I am planning to add Xbox system to join my Ps4 in the next few weeks I'm not sure if I need Scorpio or just start off with the Xbox One.

I don't own a 4K tv and I am looking to start with the original Xbox Franchises. Halo, Gears and so forth to catch up on the story.

I'm also looking at the price difference. I can pick up a 500gb Xbox One Slim for 199$ and the games themselves are at very good discounted price.

On the other hand, Scorpio is more future proofed and I am not sure if it will play the Xbox One games that I would like to catch up with. Also the Scorpio price is another question.

Appreciate the help. :)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Do you just want it for its exclusives alone? Probably roll with the regular Xbone.

Plan on playing your multiplats on consoles too? Scorpio will be your best bet.

Aside from that, yeah it's just a matter of price and your budget.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 GordonFreeman
Member since 2017 • 588 Posts

Scorpio provides benefits to all games whether unpatched or not, not to mention any game that operates at a higher resolution will automatically downsample to 1080p providing a drastically cleaner image if you haven't moved to a 4K TV as of yet.

It's all a factor of cost, one is $200 and the other will likely be between $400 and $500, frankly if you're getting an Xbox this late I would just get Scorpio.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

If price is an issue go with the OG. If not, Scropio all the way.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

They're revealing it tomorrow. Might be easier for you to make your decision once you see the price, games, release date.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@Sokol4ever said:

I understand the power difference between the two system however as I am planning to add Xbox system to join my Ps4 in the next few weeks I'm not sure if I need Scorpio or just start off with the Xbox One.

I don't own a 4K tv and I am looking to start with the original Xbox Franchises. Halo, Gears and so forth to catch up on the story.

I'm also looking at the price difference. I can pick up a 500gb Xbox One Slim for 199$ and the games themselves are at very good discounted price.

On the other hand, Scorpio is more future proofed and I am not sure if it will play the Xbox One games that I would like to catch up with. Also the Scorpio price is another question.

Better off getting the Scorpio at this stage. The Scorpio will give you 1080p 60fps for every game if you only got a 1080p TV. If you do buy a 4K tv, the Scorpio will take advantage of that.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#7 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Chutebox said:

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GordonFreeman

@loe12k said:
@Sokol4ever said:

Better off getting the Scorpio at this stage. The Scorpio will give you 1080p 60fps for every game if you only got a 1080p TV. If you do buy a 4K tv, the Scorpio will take advantage of that.

Ugh no...

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@loe12k: that's a bit missleading, Scorpio wont turn 30fps to 60fps w/o the developers making a patch for it, you do still get benefits like AF,Supersampling and so on

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 loe12k

@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@Sokol4ever said:

Ugh no...

oh yes..

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GordonFreeman

@loe12k said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@Sokol4ever said:

Ugh no...

oh yes..

That's not how it works kiddo, the system doesn't just automatically make games run at 60 FPS overriding game code... If a developer codes the game at 30 FPS it will be 30 FPS on Scorpio.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loe12k

@howmakewood said:

@loe12k: that's a bit missleading, Scorpio wont turn 30fps to 60fps w/o the developers making a patch for it, you do still get benefits like AF,Supersampling and so on

Developers have PC ( DX12) ports already, could port that over.

I will take back what i said though you right. Small dev teams probably will not update their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@Sokol4ever said:

Ugh no...

oh yes..

That's not how it works kiddo, the system doesn't just automatically make games run at 60 FPS overriding game code... If a developer codes the game at 30 FPS it will be 30 FPS on Scorpio.

Yes, that's is fact. Codes are locked in that respect, you would have to make the whole game again for 60fps.

The op should buy the S if price is a factor, Scorpio if not.

Personally, buy a PC for multiplats and a PS and Switch for exclusives.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By loe12k

@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:

Ugh no...

oh yes..

Depending on the game, realistically. We forget most AAA games run at 60fps on PC. Xbox and PC use x86 and similar API. Most cases it just require a port over or patching to a updated version.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Lord, when Tiger is talking technical you know things have gone to shit.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loe12k

@Random_Matt said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:

Ugh no...

oh yes..

Yes, that's is fact. Codes are locked in that respect, you would have to make the whole game again for 60fps.

Rubbish games are scaled down to fit specifications of the hardware. That only made sense if we had no PC version and most games are 60fps or higher.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@Random_Matt: That's not totally accurate either, not all games are coded to rely on certain frametime, it depends on the game basis, like DS3 on ps4 pro for example runs on unlocked fps and sometimes hits 60fps, they didn't remake the whole game

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GordonFreeman

@loe12k said:
@Random_Matt said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@gordonfreeman said:

Ugh no...

oh yes..

Rubbish games are scaled down to fit specifications of the hardware. That only made sense if we had no PC version and most games are 60fps or higher.

If a developer doesn't code it, it's not going to magically take place.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loe12k

@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:
@Random_Matt said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@loe12k said:

oh yes..

If a developer doesn't code it, it's not going to magically take place.

True, but most of the big titles do 60fps.

Where you are right is. A title like Sunset Overdrive would be an issue. The game only came out for xbox one and it was 900p 30fps. To be a 60fps title, it not easy.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'd wait until we know more about the Scorpio tomorrow, if it's relatively affordable and not much more than a base XB1 then I don't see why you'd not get a Scorpio. At the very least, if you're still not sold on it, at least make sure you pick up an XB1 S.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 loe12k

@howmakewood said:

@Random_Matt: That's not totally accurate either, not all games are coded to rely on certain frametime, it depends on the game basis, like DS3 on ps4 pro for example runs on unlocked fps and sometimes hits 60fps, they didn't remake the whole game

Remake the whole game, is nonsense. How easy would it be to change the frame rate of Sunset Overdrive from 30fps to 60fps.. It's a game i would love to see patched for Scorpio.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

Why wait to learn more?

Buy the Scorpio now because at the rate this thread is going it'll run all games at 8k and 120 fps by the end of the day.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions, I am definitely purchasing the Xbox and after tomorrow's E3 I will decide which version to get.

I do have PS4 and both myself and my wife have lost of friends in different countries who own Xbox and want to play with us online who don't have the PS4 so we wanted to add a console to our home. :)

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@loe12k said:
@Sokol4ever said:

No it won't give you 1080p 60fps for every game if you only got a 1080p TV that is just silly.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loe12k

@Addict187 said:
@loe12k said:
@Sokol4ever said:

No it won't give you 1080p 60fps for every game if you only got a 1080p TV that is just silly.

We don't know what games are going to be patched and reworked to be better for Scorpio. I agree though mostly likely lot of games will remain the same and never see a patch for Scorpio.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Nonstop-Madness  Online
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

@kvally said:
@Chutebox said:

Pretty much this.

If price isn't an issue, you should always get the better / latter version of the console.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

New sticky up: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/official-e3-microsoft-thread-33394377/#1.