Xbox live is the most over rated gaming service!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Great_Ragnarok
Member since 2007 • 3069 Posts

really be honest its just not worth 50$.

if they made dedicaed servers for every game and gave a brilliant lag free service

it still wouldn't justify the price. 360 is an awesome console but xbox live is poor.

think about it why pay 50US$per year when there's little to no improvement over mutliplayer.

we still get users hosting the games most the time so why are we been asked to pay 50$ a year?

and no I'm no PS3,PC or Wii fanboy. you don't need a bias view to notice that xbox live isn't fair.

but thats me, what do you think?

check these links out.

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/goldBenefits.htm

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Live/Pages/welcometolive.aspx

^Live is FREE for PC gamers!!

http://uk.playstation.com/psn/

*edits*

1)added links for comparison.

Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
i do hate the renewal fees too. But i prefer the Xbox live interface better. I don't know why. Compared to PSN that is
Avatar image for WhySoSerious300
WhySoSerious300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WhySoSerious300
Member since 2009 • 752 Posts
If XBL had dedicated servers... then hell yea! I mean take a look at PSN now ;)
SmyttyGuy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SmyttyGuy94
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts

it really depends, for me, 50$ is nothing. right now, psn doesnt not have in game chat, which is a big turn off for me, i know its included in the update this year, i know. but right now it doesnt. xbl is superior, i get no lag on it, then again no lag on my ps3 either.

now my biggest gripe with 360 is the match making system, it drives me nuts, i like to be able to choose from a list, but thats just my opinion.

T-Aldous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 T-Aldous
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts
Sorry, I can't agree with you that it is poor. Although I wish it was free, I just haven't found a more unified online gaming community.
dylanmcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dylanmcc
Member since 2008 • 2512 Posts
Although it should be free, I think that it's worth it seeing it's so good. I'd rather it cost money and be great than to be free and be bad (that sounds like I'm having a go at PSN, but I'm not :P). To me, $50 a year is nothing anyway.
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Great_Ragnarok
Sorry, I can't agree with you that it is poor. Although I wish it was free, I just haven't found a more unified online gaming community. T-Aldous
I meant poor in terms of the price. for 50$ its poor don't you think? but the thing is its 50$ per year! if it was a one off payment then that won't be too bad because you also get a headset. but the yearly fee just adds to the unfairness.
mlisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 mlisen
Member since 2007 • 3287 Posts
The $80 I pay for my yearly subscription is entirely worth it for the early demos and the guarantee of joining a low ping server.
For less than half the price of a game I get to add more than half onto nearly every game I buy
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Great_Ragnarok

The $80 I pay for my yearly subscription is entirely worth it for the early demos and the guarantee of joining a low ping server.
For less than half the price of a game I get to add more than half onto nearly every game I buymlisen

seriously? 80$ and you think its a fair deal? also xbox live doesn't use dedicated servers for all games...

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
If XBL had dedicated servers... then hell yea! I mean take a look at PSN now ;)WhySoSerious300
how many games have dedicated servers on PS3?
Avatar image for WhySoSerious300
WhySoSerious300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WhySoSerious300
Member since 2009 • 752 Posts

[QUOTE="WhySoSerious300"]If XBL had dedicated servers... then hell yea! I mean take a look at PSN now ;)dotWithShoes
how many games have dedicated servers on PS3?

How am I supposed to know lol. But the games I have right now have dedicated servers. MGS4, Killzone 2, Resistance 1 and 2 and other games too

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Meh, just change some settings to make it so you have a higher chance of being host. I experience 99% lag free halo every night I play it.

$50 is nothing though. That's literrally pennies a day for early demos, the dashboard feature, all the goodies of DLC, and a very large community. Worth it to me.

MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts
I like Xbox Live, would I rather have it free? Of course I would, but its not that big of a deal for me.
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Great_Ragnarok

Meh, just change some settings to make it so you have a higher chance of being host. I experience 99% lag free halo every night I play it.

$50 is nothing though. That's literrally pennies a day for early demos, the dashboard feature, all the goodies of DLC, and a very large community. Worth it to me.

treedoor
erm there are demos for PC's as well you know. whats more you can browse etc watch youtube etc. but you are not required to pay 50$ on top of the internet charges. I mean what are you paying for? when others get it free?
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 treedoor
[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Great_Ragnarok

erm there are demos for PC's as well you know. whats more you can browse etc watch youtube etc. but you are not required to pay 50$ on top of the internet charges. I mean what are you paying for? when others get it free?

So what? I've got a gaming PC that I'm on right now. Do PC's play Halo 3? Sadly no. There's enough 360 games that PC's don't have to warrant paying PENNIES a day for online.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It should be free. Simple as that really. You should not have to pay extra to acess content in the games you already paid for. And people should not go out of their way to justify it, when its purely made to take advantage of gamers. Again never the less Live is the best service on consoles by a sizeable margin. Sony is yet to match it. However the price tag is rediculous.
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Great_Ragnarok
[QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"][QUOTE="treedoor"]

treedoor

So what? I've got a gaming PC that I'm on right now. Do PC's play Halo 3? Sadly no. There's enough 360 games that PC's don't have to warrant paying PENNIES a day for online.

and PC has plenty of quality FPS like crysis. The point isn't about the exclusives. the point is whether its fair to charge that much for internet service when they don't even have dedicated servers for all games/ you are basically giving them free money and getting little return. if xbox fans don't realize this they will continue to be taken advantage of.

and I agree with you skrat_01.

NEILMEHTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NEILMEHTA
Member since 2005 • 525 Posts

dedicated servers =/= no lag

That is all...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
I don't mind the price at all. Of course I'd rather have anything like that fer free.
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Great_Ragnarok

That is all...

NEILMEHTA
erm a dedicated server with massive bandwidth can host games better than a personal internet connection just adequate for one person.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
it's alright. i do wish the price was dropped because there really isn't a lot of great things for live. you get demos, movies, bad content, lagy games. i say bad content because some of the things for a game aren't worth it. some of the games don't even have content. the games are laggy sometimes. the games online are p2p servers, some people might be host and have bad connection and internet speed. some games like gears of war have host advantages.

i think if the service was $25 then it would be alright. i barely even play online idk why i'm paying for live cards. this is the last time i'm going to be playing on live. i have a month card laying around from repair.
-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
Who the hell said it was worth $50.
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Great_Ragnarok
Who the hell said it was worth $50.-Master_St3ve-
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/goldBenefits.htm "A one-year subscription to Xbox LIVE Gold is only $49.99" that's US dollars.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
[QUOTE="NEILMEHTA"]

That is all...

Great_Ragnarok
erm a dedicated server with massive bandwidth can host games better than a personal internet connection just adequate for one person.

And 2-3 years down the road when the game is no longer profitable for the company to host said dedicated server, and its taken down.. where does that leave the online part of that game?
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
50 bucks a year for Xbox Live? Who pays that much I sure don't I get 13 months for just 35 bucks Wally World FTW!
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Great_Ragnarok
[QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"][QUOTE="NEILMEHTA"]

That is all...

dotWithShoes

And 2-3 years down the road when the game is no longer profitable for the company to host said dedicated server, and its taken down.. where does that leave the online part of that game?

erm xbox live doesn't use dedicated servers for all games eventhough they charge 50$... wheres all the money going?

but even then you wouldn't need 50$ per customer. recently they announced that half of live members are gold members!

8 million people who pay for xbox live! surely dedicated server should be standard for that kind of profit.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#27 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
No such thing as a lag-free service. :|
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Great_Ragnarok
No such thing as a lag-free service. :|Stevo_the_gamer
some people have internet that's just adequate for personal use, so when they host games the quality is down. but if a dedicated server is made then they can assign more bandwidth. but anyway I'm surprised at how many voted that 50$ is exactly right!! O_O
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 treedoor

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]No such thing as a lag-free service. :|Great_Ragnarok
but anyway I'm surprised at how many voted that 50$ is exactly right!! O_O

The other choices were pretty bad. It was either "I don't mind paying $50 for service" or "It is a joke, and shouldn't cost money"

That was basically the options, so people chose the one closest to "I don't mind paying $50 for service"

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Great_Ragnarok

[QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]No such thing as a lag-free service. :|treedoor

but anyway I'm surprised at how many voted that 50$ is exactly right!! O_O

The other choices were pretty bad. It was either "I don't mind paying $50 for service" or "It is a joke, and shouldn't cost money"

That was basically the options, so people chose the one closest to "I don't mind paying $50 for service"

how are the other choices bad? there's a choice for people who really feel its only worth half the price(25$). for those who think 50$ is worthwhile if it had dedicated servers and lastly to those who think it should be free. what other choices should I add?
chowderboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chowderboi
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts
i like the 360 but it nickeled and dimed me way too much jumped over to the PS3 360 is a solid game system if some issues will be addressed
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#32 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
Unless Live has gone downhill in the four months of my absence (Xbox broke, I just sold it), I'd say the $50 a year was money well spent for online gaming.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
It should be free, if steam has dedicated servers and all the features of xbl plus full game downloads all for free (not counting the game price of course) then why does xbl cost money? why does psn have dedicated and is free? xbl is ms milking it's customers like always does and as people continue to pay for it will continue. people should stop paying then they would have no choice but to drop the charges. look what happened with gfwl when ms tried to charge for it and they were forced to drop it, only problem with xbl is you have nothing else to use.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 imprezawrx500
Unless Live has gone downhill in the four months of my absence (Xbox broke, I just sold it), I'd say the $50 a year was money well spent for online gaming. DethSkematik
why pay for it when steam offers more for free?
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
[QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"][QUOTE="treedoor"]

treedoor

Just check out this chart

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pc5oLqpenpT78W87pMfgvBA&gid=0

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Great_Ragnarok
[QUOTE="DethSkematik"]Unless Live has gone downhill in the four months of my absence (Xbox broke, I just sold it), I'd say the $50 a year was money well spent for online gaming. imprezawrx500
why pay for it when steam offers more for free?

exactly dude. 360 gamers need to group together and demand a fair service.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Where's the option most of us would choose, I just pay the price once a year and then forget about it. I don't know why people complain about it so much it's not like you have to constantly pay 10$ a month or something, it's a one off payment that you do and then just do it again the next year. Just do what I did and start off the subscription around your birthday or Christmas, that way you should always have that 50$ ready.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="-Master_St3ve-"]Who the hell said it was worth $50.Great_Ragnarok
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/goldBenefits.htm "A one-year subscription to Xbox LIVE Gold is only $49.99" that's US dollars.

and it offers nothing that isn't here except nefix, too bad that hardly counts as only usa gets it and this is about games isn't it? http://store.steampowered.com/about/
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"][QUOTE="NEILMEHTA"]

That is all...

dotWithShoes

try and say that to counter strike, only a few thousand servers are found in a few seconds and when did that come out? more than 3 years ago, you'd struggle to find a new game with more servers.

Interesting that dark messiah still has a number of servers dispite it's terriable reviews and it being an old game

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Great_Ragnarok

@ bobbetybob

the topic isn't quite about affordability but more about fairness. online gaming is something many enjoy on PC,PS3 for free. so has live justified its cost for you? to me they haven't. and from the looks many seem to either want a price reduction or have it for free.

[QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"][QUOTE="-Master_St3ve-"]Who the hell said it was worth $50.imprezawrx500

and it offers nothing that isn't here except nefix, too bad that hardly counts as only usa gets it and this is about games isn't it? http://store.steampowered.com/about/

exactly! for 50$ xbox live doesn't provide that much more value. the price isn't fair for the consumer.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Meh, it sould be cheaper or free even. I don't care, I wouldn't have played that much online if it werent for XBL.
loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
I dont mind the fee because of how much i use xboxlive.Live has every feature that i want in an online service.Would i rather it be free?of course.I like my ps3 but psn is so annoying to use because of how its setup and the lack of features.I really wish in game chat worked better during multiplayer games,some people u can barley hear but thats because sony in there infinate wisdom decided not to release a standard headset with there system.I know they have a sony brand headset out now but u have to buy it seperatly and most people dont have one.Xboxlive has really spoiled me because when i try and go over and play a ps3 game i stay frustrated.I really wish that sony would start putting a matchmaking system into there games like cod4 and halo3 have on xbox.Cod4 may have that on the ps3 i dont know because i bought that game for my 360.Resistance 1,2,metal gear and killzone 2 would be much better if they had those features and many others that the xboxlive has.Lives worth the price u have to pay for it,sorry.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
For me, Its worth it because im only playing with people from my country so yeah....im not experiencing any lag at all:) and with netflix,DLC's .... its totally worth it.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
It should be free or at least have dedicated servers in all games. But Microsoft seem to care more about giving us Avatars instead of dedicated servers so I'm not holding my breath.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killerfist
It should be free or at least have dedicated servers in all games. But Microsoft seem to care more about giving us Avatars instead of dedicated servers so I'm not holding my breath.Floppy_Jim
Well, why should they? We all pay for XBL as it is now. More profit for them.
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts
XBL GOLD is not worth 50 bucks, heck it should be free. the only reason were paying is because we have to, in order to play the games online.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]It should be free or at least have dedicated servers in all games. But Microsoft seem to care more about giving us Avatars instead of dedicated servers so I'm not holding my breath.killerfist
Well, why should they? We all pay for XBL as it is now. More profit for them.

Something isn't right when a free service has more dedicated servers than a paid service. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. But you're right, as long as they're making money and millions of people still use Gold, why should MS care?
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts
For me, Its worth it because im only playing with people from my country so yeah....im not experiencing any lag at all:) and with netflix,DLC's .... its totally worth it.XxSTILL_BORNxX
pay $50 to play with the people in ur country? that sounds...brutal
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killerfist
Something isn't right when a free service has more dedicated servers than a paid service. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. But you're right, as long as they're making money and millions of people still use Gold, why should MS care?Floppy_Jim
I agree. We pretty much all fell for it (We as in, the people that pay for it). But like I said before, XBL gave me thousands of online multiplayer goodness, so I don't really care. I do agree that it should cost less though. Or free even.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
[QUOTE="XxSTILL_BORNxX"]For me, Its worth it because im only playing with people from my country so yeah....im not experiencing any lag at all:) and with netflix,DLC's .... its totally worth it.def_mode
pay $50 to play with the people in ur country? that sounds...brutal

Yup. 50$ to me a year is nothing, So i don't have a problem although having dedicated servers would be great or make it free:P but either way, it doesn't bother me at all. i live in kuwait btw, middle east. That is way its a really bad idea to play ranked matches...either this or having servers like COD4/WAW where if many people joined your party the ranked host could be on someone from the party.