Xbox 360 - Great game console, lousy DVD player

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

caywen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 caywen
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts

The XBox 360 is a horrible DVD player, apparently.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2088565,00.asp

I'm usually pro-X360 on System Wars, but this is just inexcusable.

BK-Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 BK-Sleeper
Member since 2006 • 2686 Posts
Eh. I don't pay attention to that stuff when I watch the occasion DVD.
Taiko88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Taiko88
Member since 2004 • 1854 Posts
It has been discussed, and pretty old, that Xbox360 put a new DVD in their Xbox360, as of November 15. So if ur xbox was manufactured then, it is somewhat quieter. And no I don't have a link, I read it off a site.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I used it twice and didn't notice any problems.
deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deathmasterk
Member since 2006 • 716 Posts

im so screwed!!!!!!! i bought my 360 just for dvd playback!!!!

nic0008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nic0008
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
I never use consoles to play my DVD's.... I usually use DVD players.... every now and than I may though
Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's? Im getting a 360 for the games, like most ppl, so this news means nothing really.

One thing that made me laugh was a fanboy argument about how the Wii was rubbish because the inclusion of DVD playback was apparently important to consider when buying a console - when pretty much everyone has at least one stand alone player anyway :lol:

Also another reason why im not interested in the HD - DVD VS. Blu-Ray format war....because I want a games machine, not a multimedia centre. Buying individual components would be more expensive but would be more reliable. Like how buying an MP3 player is better than getting a phone with a useless MP3 player built in that only holds 10 songs when the standalone holds 1000......

end rant/

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts
It has been discussed, and pretty old, that Xbox360 put a new DVD in their Xbox360, as of November 15. So if ur xbox was manufactured then, it is somewhat quieter. And no I don't have a link, I read it off a site.Taiko88
The article was discussing not about how loud the DVD player is but about how crappy the quality of DVD-videos look on the 360.
TemplaerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 TemplaerDude
Member since 2003 • 15254 Posts
I don't and would never play DVD's on a console, nor do I understand why anyone would want to. SO much easier and less hassle to get a standalone 30 buck DVD player.
Avatar image for jigglebilly1983
jigglebilly1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jigglebilly1983
Member since 2006 • 2696 Posts
The HD-DVD attachment has also been called the worst HD player you could buy.
vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#11 vgmkyle
Member since 2004 • 8708 Posts
I use my DVD player on the 360 all the time.And everything runs very smoothly.
Kizzle28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Kizzle28
Member since 2004 • 796 Posts

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?Quofan

Umm....PS3 owners. Execpt they play Blu-Ray also. :P

Seriously though, I thought everyone learnt their lesson after trying to play DVD's in a PS2. No way in hell I'd use my 360, or any other console, as a DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. Except maybe for the HD-DVD addon, but I don't want any HD player.  But any built in DVD (or whatever)player I won't use for media, only games.
Harbadakus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Harbadakus
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts
I use my DVD player on the 360 all the time.And everything runs very smoothly.vgmkyle
Same here. Maybe they did the test with a faulty 360...
greenleaflink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 greenleaflink
Member since 2006 • 3686 Posts
who would use their 360 TO PLAY DVDS! dvd players are so dirt cheap now.... seriously i never use my ps2 or gamecube to play dvds. like duh.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts

caywen

Old, and they're comparing it to an $800 DVD player.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 magus-21
The HD-DVD attachment has also been called the worst HD player you could buy.jigglebilly1983
No it hasn't. It's been compared favorably to stand-alone HD-DVD players, its only flaw being its lack of digital, and thus 1080p, output.
spark_212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spark_212
Member since 2005 • 1546 Posts
It's still better than 'Great DVD player, Lousy game console'
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LoserMike
[QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?Kizzle28

Seriously though, I thought everyone learnt their lesson after trying to play DVD's in a PS2. No way in hell I'd use my 360, or any other console, as a DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. Except maybe for the HD-DVD addon, but I don't want any HD player. But any built in DVD (or whatever)player I won't use for media, only games.

The PS3 Blu-Ray player has been called the best Blu-Ray player while the HD-DVD add-on has been ridiculed for it's lack of HDMI and sometimes sub-par audio quality compared th other HD-DVD players.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

caywen

Actually, I think its ability to upscale with VGA is pretty darn nice.  Looks great.  Of course, I didn't buy the 360 to watch movies...

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
[QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?LoserMike

Seriously though, I thought everyone learnt their lesson after trying to play DVD's in a PS2. No way in hell I'd use my 360, or any other console, as a DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. Except maybe for the HD-DVD addon, but I don't want any HD player. But any built in DVD (or whatever)player I won't use for media, only games.

The PS3 Blu-Ray player has been called the best Blu-Ray player while the HD-DVD add-on has been ridiculed for it's lack of HDMI and sometimes sub-par audio quality compared th other HD-DVD players.

The Xbox 360 game console has been called the best console this gen while the PS3 has been ridiculed for it's lack of Games and sometimes sub-par graphics quality compared the Xbox 360.
ilovesnowboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ilovesnowboard
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts
Not all 360's are loud. My first one had the Hitachi drive, and it was really quiet. My new one is a saumsung which is really loud.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magus-21
[QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?LoserMike

I hope you can provide sources that support your claim that it's been ridiculed. Lack of HDMI, I don't doubt, has been lamented by critics, but the important qualities of AUDIO and VIDEO quality have been heralded as impeccable. I don't know where you heard that its audio is lacking.
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LoserMike
[QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?magus-21

I hope you can provide sources that support your claim that it's been ridiculed. Lack of HDMI, I don't doubt, has been lamented by critics, but the important qualities of AUDIO and VIDEO quality have been heralded as impeccable. I don't know where you heard that its audio is lacking.

It's because it doesn't have HDMI that the Xbox 360 can't use the new audio standards, which require HDMI, that's why the audio quality has been ridiculed. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are only possible thru HDMI. The 360, for it's lack of HDMI, has made audio quality and video quality not up to par compared to other HD-DVD players since HDMI is the highest quality wires available.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

It's because it doesn't have HDMI that the Xbox 360 can' use the new audio standards, which require HDMI, that's why the audio quality has been ridiculed. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are only possible thru HDMI. The 360, for it's lack of HDMI, has made audio quality and video quality not up to par compared to other HD-DVD players since HDMI is the highest quality wires available.

You're making mountains out of molehills. To even perceive the differences between TrueHD and regular Dolby Digital would require such focus on the part of the listener (not to mention $$$$ of added equipment) that the movie itself becomes secondary. No serious critic would mark it as a *major* flaw, only a lacking extra feature. And similarly, the quality difference between 720p over component and 720p over HDMI is even tinier.
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LoserMike
[QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?mjarantilla

It's because it doesn't have HDMI that the Xbox 360 can' use the new audio standards, which require HDMI, that's why the audio quality has been ridiculed. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are only possible thru HDMI. The 360, for it's lack of HDMI, has made audio quality and video quality not up to par compared to other HD-DVD players since HDMI is the highest quality wires available.

You're making mountains out of molehills. To even perceive the differences between TrueHD and regular Dolby Digital would require such focus on the part of the listener (not to mention $$$$ of added equipment) that the movie itself becomes secondary. No serious critic would mark it as a *major* flaw, only a lacking extra feature. And similarly, the quality difference between 720p over component and 720p over HDMI is even tinier.

I know this info because of serious critics. I was reading thru websites about what HDTV I should buy when I stumbled thru a few Xbox 360 HD-DVD reviews, while most of them were positive because of the price they kept pointing out the lack of HDMI and how it doesn't look or sound as good as other HD-DVD players because of the lack of HDMI. These critics should know since it's their job to notice the small differences that would just be bad on their part not to be overtly critical since they are critics. Maybe a person such as me or you can't tell the difference but a serious videophile and audiophile can tell.
Huxley_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Huxley_00
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts
I use the Xbox 360 and only the xbox 360 to watch DVDs.. and I watch DVDs very often.. Seems to run just fine!
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

I know this info because of serious critics. I was reading thru websites about what HDTV I should buy when I stumbled thru a few Xbox 360 HD-DVD reviews, while most of them were positive because of the price they kept pointing out the lack of HDMI and how it doesn't look or sound as good as other HD-DVD players because of the lack of HDMI. These critics should know since it's their job to notice the small differences that would just be bad on their part not to be overtly critical since they are critics. Maybe a person such as me or you can't tell the difference but a serious videophile and audiophile can tell.

I don't doubt that, but I DO seriously doubt that these critics "ridiculed" the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on just because it lacked these features. That is just you spinning their observations into the extreme negative. As you said, they NOTED these omitted features, but they STILL liked it a lot, and they STILL recommended it as a worthy purchase.
sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts
[QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?mjarantilla

I don't doubt that, but I DO seriously doubt that these critics "ridiculed" the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on just because it lacked these features. That is just you spinning their observations into the extreme negative. As you said, they NOTED these omitted features, but they STILL liked it a lot, and they STILL recommended it as a worthy purchase.

Yeah right, ridicule... as usual fanboys are full of BS. http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_ps3vsxbox360addon.html in conclution, both PS3 and 360 are great choices, neither of them superior AND 360 add on with as good quality as any other HD DVD player. "My first comparison was picture quality. In this category, the HD DVD add-on performed very, very well. This should come as no surprise, since the internal architecture driving the device is the same as is being used by Toshiba for its second-generation stand-alone DVD players (confirmed to us by both Microsoft and Toshiba). Microsoft is bundling Peter Jackson's 'King Kong' with initial shipments of the add-on, and it is the perfect choice -- you'd be hard-pressed to find a better demonstration of high-def video, period."
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
I have a $200 Sony Dvd player and have ended up using the 360 in it's place because it works so well.
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Pale
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
Does it sound like a jet when it's playing DVDs too?
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts

I use the Xbox 360 and only the xbox 360 to watch DVDs.. and I watch DVDs very often.. Seems to run just fine!Huxley_00

Yeah, seriously. I hear all these terrible reviews about the dvd drive and then find no flaws in playing a movie.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
    After using a number of DVD players, both upconverting and non, The 360 is a more than capable DVD player, and actually has done a good enough job at it that it is currently my default player. I play it on a 32" LCD, and I can say, without a doubt, that none of the issues they mention have ever been noticed by myself or anyone else who has ever watched a movie at my place.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
I used my 360 for DVD a lot. And I think its jst like ever other DVD
tag_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tag_001
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts
It's a great DVD played if you ask me. Better than alot of standalone DVD players you can buy.

Who the hell bought an Xbox 360 to watch DVDs anyway?
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

caywen

Thats why I have a dvd player that sits next to it. I dont use my 360 for dvd's... :shock:
seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts
[QUOTE="Taiko88"]It has been discussed, and pretty old, that Xbox360 put a new DVD in their Xbox360, as of November 15. So if ur xbox was manufactured then, it is somewhat quieter. And no I don't have a link, I read it off a site.LoserMike
The article was discussing not about how loud the DVD player is but about how crappy the quality of DVD-videos look on the 360.

Mine looks fine. Sucks to be this guy. Possibly he just got a crappy one? Who knows but I have watched well over 3 dozen movies on my 360 and have noticed no quality loss vs my first xbox or my other dvd player
MOdem_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MOdem_basic
Member since 2003 • 463 Posts
I use my Ps3 for everything. Watching movies, games, listening to music too since I can easily pass my music from my mp3 player to it and even send my friends photos straight to their Ps3 account. Of course lemmings and sheep will say : "WHO USES A GAME CONSOLE TO PLAY MOVIES?!?" They HAVE to buy an extra dvd player or use the one already cuz the one that comes with their console is garbage. The HD-DVD player they can buy is a joke and nintendo kids... lol well.. they get to use the one on their mickey mouse tv. Meanwhile with my ps3 here now I gave my dvd player away and saved up some space.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

i have no complaints with my 360 dvd playback....

i guess some people aren't happy until they find SOMETHING to whine about...:roll:

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
The HD-DVD attachment has also been called the worst HD player you could buy.jigglebilly1983
link?
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts

caywen

I'm really curious as to how many times they dropped their 360 before doing that comparison. Movies look great on my 360 (in fact better than my DVD player) to the point where I just disconnected my DVD player for the time being.
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
[QUOTE="jigglebilly1983"]The HD-DVD attachment has also been called the worst HD player you could buy.Eddie5vs1
link?

I was just going to ask that too. :)
BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

It's because it doesn't have HDMI that the Xbox 360 can't use the new audio standards, which require HDMI, that's why the audio quality has been ridiculed. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are only possible thru HDMI. The 360, for it's lack of HDMI, has made audio quality and video quality not up to par compared to other HD-DVD players since HDMI is the highest quality wires available.

You can also get Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD with 5.1/7.1 analog as well :P  ...............game consoles don't have these but standalone players do.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
This is very true, Trust me I know.
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
They rated both in EGM and look it up on AVS Forums.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts
My DVD player on my Xbox 360 works perfectly...much like my Xbox DVD player did. It was my PS2's DVD player that had the problems.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

caywen

I'm not completely surprised about this. Both Sony and M$ uses the cheap DVD - Blu-Ray drives in their game consoles. The CD & DVD player that was in the PS1 & PS2 where utter crap. Just about anyone, even cows can agree with that. The Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is not top quality either. It's one of Sony's lowest cheapest model. It does what it needs to do, but it's no where as good as their $1000 Blu-Ray player obviously. The XBox360 DVD player is not top notch either. All that noise it makes is for a reason. It's a cheap DVD drive. I played a couple movies on it just to see if it actually worked and it did. The picture quality and sound was decent, but no as good as my Pioneer progressive scan DVD player with 5.1 Dolby digital sound w/subwoofer. So honest, I don't really care how great the DVD player is in my XBox360 as long as it plays the games I want to play on it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blackace
[QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?Kizzle28

Seriously though, I thought everyone learnt their lesson after trying to play DVD's in a PS2. No way in hell I'd use my 360, or any other console, as a DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. Except maybe for the HD-DVD addon, but I don't want any HD player.  But any built in DVD (or whatever)player I won't use for media, only games.

Yeah.. and that player is pretty crappy as well. I wonder when they will compare the PS3 Blu-Ray -vs- Sony $1000 Blu-Ray player. I'd like to see some expert stats on that comparison.

Franco-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Franco-J
Member since 2003 • 1435 Posts
Strange, DVDs look & sound really good on mt 360. What are these people talking about? They said its unuseable?!
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blackace
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Kizzle28"][QUOTE="Quofan"]

Yeah, but seriously what f*cking moron buys a games console to play DVD's?sebbi11

Yeah right, ridicule... as usual fanboys are full of BS. http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_ps3vsxbox360addon.html in conclution, both PS3 and 360 are great choices, neither of them superior AND 360 add on with as good quality as any other HD DVD player. "My first comparison was picture quality. In this category, the HD DVD add-on performed very, very well. This should come as no surprise, since the internal architecture driving the device is the same as is being used by Toshiba for its second-generation stand-alone DVD players (confirmed to us by both Microsoft and Toshiba). Microsoft is bundling Peter Jackson's 'King Kong' with initial shipments of the add-on, and it is the perfect choice -- you'd be hard-pressed to find a better demonstration of high-def video, period."

Serious Owned. :lol:

cutmaclass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cutmaclass1
Member since 2004 • 1611 Posts
I have a launch 360 and it's probably one of the best DVD players I've ever had :|