Would you pay a higher price for games if they offered more content/better gameplay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Or would you rather still pay the current base price plus DLC? I’m personally in the boat that $60 is still an adequate price for games. But if paying $20 more meant getting a better, more complete game, then I would consider it. What about you, SW? What is a fair price to ask for an AAA game today?

nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: You can pay 80$ for a game, they will still charge you for microtransactions, loot boxes and dlcs

Don't underestimate the greed.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

DLC model I think is better.

why? because clearly and should be painfully obvious to everyone, not all tastes on quality are the same.

I, for example, would take Subnautica over Witcher 3 any day of the week, so being able to buy the core game cheaper to get an idea if one might like it I think is better

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I never really feel short changed with content in the games i buy. Always get my moneys worth. Guess that’s why I’ve hardly ever bought any DLC.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

I generally don't pay full price for games anyways, so i guess no

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I do already, in essence. Certain games I commit to the season pass on day 1. But I seldom do so, only certain developers possess the rapport for me to invest confidently in unknown future content.

But yes, I’m not against games costing more if they are more content complete/tested.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#7 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Yikes, probably not.

Hate to be some normalizing douchebag but every game is pretty much a gamble anyway.

@Basinboy: Right I mean if their reputation proceeds them.... uhm... maybe?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
@nishanth12 said:

@SolidGame_basic: You can pay 80$ for a game, they will still charge you for microtransactions, loot boxes and dlcs

Don't underestimate the greed.

THIS!!!

Every inch a company gets a foothold in, is another mile they can more easily claim, and a mile there will be no taking back from. Microtransactions were born in the F2P market, seen as a way of earning compensation via voluntary donation, rather than mandatory pricing from the conventional business model. Just taking it from the perspective of a reasonable trade off in foregoing that straight up entry fee, "pay to win" not with standing.

When the AAA market saw the potential for expanded profits, they adopted MTX in small subtle ways at first, with only few questioning why there's this voluntary donations when players had already donated in full sum of initial purchase in the first place. Because it's just like a drug addict; once the publishers got that taste, the $60 price tag was no longer delivering the same satisfaction (of meeting profit margins) as it once did. The few optional extras just weren't bringing in enough extra profit, it keeps raising the tolerance threshold because it's never enough for them - leading to new ways to expand & diversify the MTX structure that sees a revenue stream rivaling that of MMO subscriptions. (back when that was more prevalent)

What begins with small steps leads to escalation that brought the industry to the point of.... well what we got with Star Wars Battlefront II and Destiny 2. So severe to finally provoke the community to push back. But only when so much ground had already been lost, MTX even if improved or better balanced, is too deeply entrenched to ever see in full retreat.

So don't think for one second that raising the base price of games will encourage the publishers to offer DLC and micro-items (cosmetic or otherwise) for free as a "fair trade off". They don't see it as "everybody should win", just their share holders and board members are the only winners that matter to them. It'll just become another opportunity to establish a new standard of profit margin where $80 will only be seen as a minimum of revenue for each copy of a game... and from there the escalation will just continue on from an even higher foothold than it was before.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I think the $60 is fine. And I think most games are more bloated than they need to be these days, so content is rarely the issue. Like Nioh, BotW, and Odyssey were among my top games last year, and I felt they would've been even better had they trimmed off some of the fat.

Now if I knew for sure that paying an extra $10 or $20 would improve gameplay across the board? Well shit yeah I'd go for that lol. But of course that's not gonna happen. Medocire or worse gameplay isn't a matter of budget with these AAA games. They simply don't have talented enough game designers.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

No, I usually wait for sales unless I really want it, anyway. And spambot ^

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Not sure I really understand this question. If you want more content in games and pay more for it then aren’t you already doing this when you buy the base game then purchase the dlc for it? Also how does charging more for games equal better gameplay?

Anyway I’m fine with the current model because it allows for the flexibility of those who just want the base game and pass on any dlc to do so.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@Sam3231: It's an admitted risk and not one I assume often, but a handful of developers have earned my confidence in whatever they produce, namely Naughty Dog and FromSoftware. I also would trust CDProjektRed but I'm resigned from ever playing TW3 (just not enough time in my life available to commit to it).

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

With inflation taken into account video games should be 80-90 bucks so it's shocking they have stayed the same. But companies just figured out how to better monetize their games so they can stay at similar prices. Of course this means all the things we hate about the gaming industry today

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

$60 is already more than I'm willing to pay for the vast majority of games. Most of the games that have crappy microtransaction policies wouldn't become good games simply by removing their microtransaction structure, honestly. I guess it's possible that the resources that went toward figuring out how to milk the most money out of the customer while providing the least amount of content could have gone toward making a higher quality product, though.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Not sure I really understand this question. If you want more content in games and pay more for it then aren’t you already doing this when you buy the base game then purchase the dlc for it? Also how does charging more for games equal better gameplay?

Anyway I’m fine with the current model because it allows for the flexibility of those who just want the base game and pass on any dlc to do so.

DLC content has a way of feeling tacked on, like it sort of doesn't belong with the rest of the game. At least single player DLC often does. Some developers handle it much better than others, but for the most part, it just isn't worth purchasing.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

I pay for quality not quantity. otherwise ubisoft open world games offer too much quantity but no quality so not worth anything.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

no

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

If anything, games should get cheaper with all the money they make with DLC, Microtransactions and Lootboxes. $60 should be reserved for full games, not Shooters with half the maps or fighters with half the Rooster.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Ha charge higher prices for a "More complete game". Yeah I can't see how that would go wrong. Freaking hate how all the console can connect to the internet hence this stupid need to patch and over bloated DLC crap. But to answer your question no. I would just wait for them on sale alot more often.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@metalboi said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

If anything, games should get cheaper with all the money they make with DLC, Microtransactions and Lootboxes. $60 should be reserved for full games, not Shooters with half the maps or fighters with half the Rooster.

I guess I misspelled it? What did I do wrong? Is it only one o?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

No.

I am almost done with gaming. Most of them feel like a chore now.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Better gameplay shouldn't come with a higher price.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@Epak_ said:

Better gameplay shouldn't come with a higher price.

This. I'll buy DLC for games that I feel are worth it but I'm cool with it because I have a choice.