Would you be able to accept an all digital future for video games within the next 5-10 years?

• 57 results
Posted by Speeny (1863 posts) 2 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Would you be able to accept an all digital future for video games within the next 5-10 years? (72 votes)

Yes! 40%
No! 44%
Maybe. It depends on the circumstances. 15%

I've made a similar topic over on the Games Discussion thread once before. But I think being on SW's I'll get more of a response.

Since the PS4, I've gone digital on all of my consoles. The 3DS & Switch too.

Why? Well, I own a lot of physical based media already. (A large DVD & Blu-ray collection.) I would even consider purchasing a digital library of the films/tv series I own, but in those terms, physical is still king if you're wanting superior quality over streaming & what not. Until then, I'm sticking with physical in that department.

For those who purchase games digitally...most prefer it over physical because it's more convenient not having to switch the discs/cartridges out.

For me personally, Steam really hit the nail on the head when it comes to owning a digital collection. I have always liked my purchases to be in one place. Compact & I can access it wherever, whenever. Especially when it comes to video games.

Now, there's the question of whether you actually own your digital library or not? When the Wii Shop was taken down, you weren't able to re-download the content you purchased unless it had already been downloaded prior to the point of no return. With the PSP however, you're still able to download the content you purchased from the PSN I believe. Although the search function and other features aren't available anymore.

As far as I'm aware, the closing of the Wii Shop channel has only been the first example of Nintendo ridding you of your purchases? Will it happen with the 3DS & the Switch? Who knows...

#1 Posted by ProtossRushX (5591 posts) -

Yeah im going physical on the ps5 and switch

I will buy some indies an stuff digitally but prefer physical for everything

#2 Posted by npiet1 (2466 posts) -

My only issue is that at release physical is cheaper than digital because of sales. So new releases I do prefer physical after a couple months though I don't care but in the case of Xbox GP makes it the cheapest so I will get digital from them

#3 Posted by Speeny (1863 posts) -

@npiet1: Yeah I haven't read too much into the GP but it does seem pretty reasonable.

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (28345 posts) -

I greatly prefer physical myself and will go with any company that keeps on supporting a physical format for gaming. If none do that then I will go with any company that supports selling dedicated consoles which allow you to download games to the system. If that is no longer supported by anyone and gaming becomes streaming only then I’ll probably still play some games that way but the bulk of my money and time will be spent buying hardware and games from previous generations.

So for me it’s:

1. Physical

2. Digital download

3. Streaming

#5 Posted by I_P_Daily (12280 posts) -

**** no, like streaming all digital can **** off.

Excuse the bad language, but thats the nicest way i can put it :)

#6 Posted by Ant_17 (12699 posts) -

Nope.

#7 Posted by madrocketeer (6625 posts) -

*Shrugs* I'm already all-digital. Convenience, and no more dumb plastic boxes and saucers taking up space in my house.

PC don't have hardware generations, so there is no excuse for PC stores to shut down access to old games. Valve have already said they have a contingency plan if Steam ever shuts down. And if GOG goes under, well, I'll just go on a download spree.

As for the Wii Shop situation; sucks for the Wii gamers, but that's Nintendo and online for ya - always one step forward, two steps back. Even to this day; just go say "Mario Maker 2" and "online with friends" to any Nintendo gamer, and prepare to hear an exasperated sigh.

#8 Posted by ThatDBFan (403 posts) -

Hell no. Physical copies are much more reliable.

#9 Posted by Gatygun (1558 posts) -

Already for 15 years by now.

U are behind the times bro. Physical is dead. Unless you live in a 3rd world country with shit tier internet.

#10 Posted by FinalFighters (3200 posts) -

i haven't bought a physical game since the start of this gen, so that's over 5 years of me being all-digital.

i own 527 steam games, 232 PS4 digital games and 36 XBOXONE digital games.

i just love the Convenience of it - and not having piles upon piles of gaming cases taking up space in my bedroom is a plus.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#11 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3329 posts) -

I’ve been all digital for years now. It’s the best

#12 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1693 posts) -

Considering I earned hundreds of dollars by selling all the old sixth gen console games I owned, considering that Sony can ban whoever they feel like from their own account, considering how easy it was to steal my old PlayStation Network account, and considering that American ISPs are subjecting their customer's to bandwidth caps... God no. You people happily give these companies way too much leverage.

#13 Posted by AJStyles (1004 posts) -

I buy physical because they are always cheaper and I resell my games. Sometimes I even make a profit.

I only buy digital if they are super cheap and tend to be trash games like mirrors edge so i don’t feel too bad dropping $5 on it.

#14 Posted by Xabiss (2852 posts) -

I am already all digital.

#15 Posted by onesiphorus (2927 posts) -

No more than accepting a full automated future where machines take over even the lowest-paying jobs.

#16 Posted by sovkhan (1274 posts) -

Nope!!!

#17 Posted by CTR360 (8719 posts) -

NO

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#18 Edited by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -

I will always continue to stick with physical media for as long as it is an option which I hope and expect it to remain for at least the next decade.

If one console maker goes 100% digital while another still offers physical media, I will give my money to the console maker that still offers physical media.

#19 Posted by tdkmillsy (3133 posts) -

All digital for me now (exception of one game that was a gift), its the future.

#20 Posted by Kadin_Kai (513 posts) -

All digital thank you! Save space and the planet at the same time.

#21 Posted by onesiphorus (2927 posts) -

@kadin_kai said:

All digital thank you! Save space and the planet at the same time.

If that is the case, then what about home consoles?

#22 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

Yes

#23 Posted by pyro1245 (5128 posts) -

Uh. Yeah I'm way-over the idea of game ownership and physical copies of games are a hassle and provide no benefits to me.

I bet the data on my server lasts longer than your discs. Let's meet up in 30 years and see.

#24 Posted by clone01 (27526 posts) -

sure. I do like special edition crap, though. I know, I'm a sucker.

#25 Edited by Kadin_Kai (513 posts) -

@onesiphorus: I can live with a console. But if the issues of streaming is resolved then I am happy to see the console go away too and just have a joypad and perhaps something like a Chromecast connected to the TV.

In case you are wondering, I only read digital books, digital newspapers and digital music.

It’s environmentally friendly and I have always hated clutter, it’s just more stuff to clean, take up space and etc.

#26 Posted by Star67 (4451 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Uh. Yeah I'm way-over the idea of game ownership and physical copies of games are a hassle and provide no benefits to me.

I bet the data on my server lasts longer than your discs. Let's meet up in 30 years and see.

Man I'd really like to play Silent Hill PT......oh wait......I can't

Man you want to hop on city of hereos later ton.........oh wait

What about law breakers? Oh no....crap

#27 Posted by Randoggy (3468 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:

Tons of Cd's over 30 years old and plenty of optical based games over 20 years old still in perfect working order in my possession. Take care of your stuff and it'll last.

#28 Posted by pyro1245 (5128 posts) -
@Star67 said:
@pyro1245 said:

Man I'd really like to play Silent Hill PT......oh wait......I can't

Man you want to hop on city of hereos later ton.........oh wait

What about law breakers? Oh no....crap

Everything I download via Steam, Uplay, etc, gets a copy saved on my server from now until the end of time. (Google Steam Cache server)

I got my gaming future sorted out. What about you?

Sucks it's not so easy on consoles.

#29 Posted by DaVillain- (37430 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

I’ve been all digital for years now. It’s the best

Same here. I have no regrets and I don't like Streaming games is my only issue.

#30 Posted by VFighter (5113 posts) -

@Gatygun: Physical is dead huh LOL, that's the kind of stupid I expect in threads on GS.

#31 Posted by freedom01 (3414 posts) -

physical all the way

#32 Posted by Pedro (35382 posts) -

Digital is the future. Acceptance not required. :P

#33 Edited by speedytimsi (969 posts) -

I do both. Sometimes digital games have a renewing license/rights that if whoever that runs it stops renewing it, the game just simply disappears. Take for example the Wii Shop. All the digital games you bought simply disappears if you didn't download it because Nintendo decides to discountinue the Wii online service.

I had this problem with my Marvel vs Capcom 2 New Age of Heroes.

#34 Posted by XVision84 (16302 posts) -

I buy physical on consoles since digital is a rip off there. I'm all digital for PC of course but I'm ok with it due to the better prices (among the other benefits of digital).

If consoles go all digital but discount game prices I'm cool with it.

#35 Posted by dzimm (5509 posts) -

Let's put it this way: companies are not attracted to all digital because its in the best interests of the customer.

#36 Posted by MirkoS77 (14354 posts) -

I'm predominantly a PC gamer, so I've been forced to use DD for years now anyway. With consoles I'd prefer to stay physical so will buy them whenever they're available, but realize it's only a matter of time.

#37 Edited by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

Console gaming needs to be simple, user friendly, and direct. Tying everything about them to an online shop will make it far more difficult for young people to be gamers and will ruin the market.

"All Digital Future" is boomer logic buzzword soup. It makes sense for PC gaming where upgrades and iteration are constant. For console gaming, which is supposed to have presence in emerging markets and have accessibility as baked in to the feature set, it makes no sense whatsoever and will shrink the gaming industry.

Tldr: some people need to remember who they were when they were blowing into cartridges and pressing Start to play. If you think that person wants to wait two and a half hours to download then your childhood sucked 100% booty.

#38 Posted by briguyb13 (3118 posts) -

Yep, time to let go of the half-game you get with no manual that needs a download in order to have a full game.

#39 Posted by warmblur (2758 posts) -

No, I want both options I never want physical media to ever go away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7
#40 Edited by deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7 (80 posts) -

I always goes with the cheapest option. So far, for the ps4, I brought 3 physical and the rest (roughly 10 games) has been digital.

50gb games takes a whole night to download and be ready. I don't plan on getting faster internet so if games becomes 100gb or more, I still see myself going with the cheapest options, but will get annoyed with digital really quick.

#41 Posted by MirkoS77 (14354 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Console gaming needs to be simple, user friendly, and direct. Tying everything about them to an online shop will make it far more difficult for young people to be gamers and will ruin the market.

"All Digital Future" is boomer logic buzzword soup. It makes sense for PC gaming where upgrades and iteration are constant. For console gaming, which is supposed to have presence in emerging markets and have accessibility as baked in to the feature set, it makes no sense whatsoever and will shrink the gaming industry.

Tldr: some people need to remember who they were when they were blowing into cartridges and pressing Start to play. If you think that person wants to wait two and a half hours to download then your childhood sucked 100% booty.

It's already required to wait for installations and patches out of the box, which has effectively negated plug and play, and they've not been that way for quite some time now. Even Nintendo with the Switch, whose long prided themselves on simplicity of play and whose defenders touted, still demands another massive download onto an SD card when purchasing physically.

#42 Edited by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

I mean, I've been all digital for ages on my PC, and honestly starting with the Wii it started to feel like a PITA to get my fat ass up and change a disc. I've basically gone all digital on console this gen, with the exception of gift games

#43 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@MirkoS77: the vast majority of games will work off of the disc or cartridge without the day one patch, though.

#44 Edited by Yams1980 (3555 posts) -

i hate digital for so many reasons. I hate the feeling that a company i bought the game from can take it away from me at anytime since I don't have a way to install it from a disc.

Most other products you buy you own them forever, and it bugs me they are taking away our rights bit by bit in gaming.

This game streaming and games as a service cancer will be the death of gaming as we know it.

People who voted yes in this pole are blind sheep. You realize when its all digital, they will have total control of us and any game you buy will be able to be shut off at their will, forcing you to buy a newer version of their game.

Look at Bethesda and the total disdain and disgust they have for all of us that we still play their older games. It angers the shit out of them that there's so many free mods in their older games and they don't profit from that. It disgusted them so much they tried to put a stop to it and force paid mods into their games. I first saw them do it to fallout 4.

They ended up not able to get away with it, but then they come out with Fallout 76, a purely online only product. Their way to stop modding and put all the power back into their hands so anything extra you wanted, you would have to pay them for it and not get it free from a kind modder.

Its the future of digital only and game streaming, the developers want your money and want you under their boot. We are scum to them in every way.

#45 Posted by Speeny (1863 posts) -

@Yams1980: I can accept digital gaming but the streaming situation, nope.

Avatar image for masonshoemocker
#46 Posted by masonshoemocker (603 posts) -

I've been all digital this gen. PC obviously and on Xbox. I have more faith in MS keeping digital games around since they are one of the biggest companies with servers and a cloud framework. Something Sony doesn't have. I don't really buy into the whole streaming gaming thing but if Google and MS have figured it out then it's the future. As long as I can still download full games and play them then I won't have any issues with the digital future.

#47 Posted by jeezers (3146 posts) -

Always prefer physical, but if I dont have a choice like hollow knight, yeah I'll buy digital. I like being able to trade or sell games after I buy them.

#48 Posted by mojito1988 (3671 posts) -

It is inevitable. Does not really matter if you accept it or not.

#49 Posted by Subspecies (660 posts) -

Yes, but only because I know there's no other choice. Face it, guys. All digital is the future.

#50 Posted by taylor12702003 (253 posts) -

No