Would Halo3 or TF2 be better if it was 32 max vs the current 16max?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

Are these 2 engines showing their ages? For a next-gen game, shouldn't they both by 32 max (at least). I was bummed when I found out TF2 is only 16 max. I thought it would be 32max.

I don't know if I will be getting the orange box like I planned cause I like 28+ gamer.

discuss.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
I've been on some 24 player servers playing TF2. Edit: On the PC.
ChrisMun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChrisMun
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts
Well. Halo 3 only has one game type to allow 8 vs 8 (I believe. Been playing too much Lone Wolf) so it could be better.
RaveRabbid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RaveRabbid
Member since 2006 • 1587 Posts

Are these2 engines showing their ages? For a next-gen game, shouldn't theyboth by 32max (at least). I was bummed when Ifound out TF2 isonly 16max. Ithought it would be 32max.

I don't know if I will be getting the orange box like I planned cause I like 28+gamer.

discuss.

gamenux

Depending on the game style. Halo offers 16 player max but most games still prefer the tight competitiveness of 4 vs 4. I believe its more fun. Unless handled properly, most 32 player games and beyond turn into a noobfest where the outcome of the game is no longer in your hands.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamenux
I've been on some 24 player servers playing TF2. Edit: On the PC.br0kenrabbit

How is the 24 on the PC? Is it crazy but fun? cause I like game with lots of people allowed.
Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
Some games are funner with less people. Also I've seen 24 on the PC version of TF2.
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamenux
[QUOTE="gamenux"]

Are these2 engines showing their ages? For a next-gen game, shouldn't theyboth by 32max (at least). I was bummed when Ifound out TF2 isonly 16max. Ithought it would be 32max.

I don't know if I will be getting the orange box like I planned cause I like 28+gamer.

discuss.

RaveRabbid

Depending on the game style. Halo offers 16 player max but most games still prefer the tight competitiveness of 4 vs 4. I believe its more fun. Unless handled properly, most 32 player games and beyond turn into a noobfest where the outcome of the game is no longer in your hands.

True. I just prefer larger games cause War is always and should be hectic. Noobs are like pedestrians, they get in the way and create confusion for the game and I like that feeling of chaos. Make it a bit more realistic and fun for a game.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamenux

Some games are funner with less people. Also I've seen 24 on the PC version of TF2.
KrazyKenKutarag

How is 24 on PC? details, details...

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts

[QUOTE="KrazyKenKutarag"]Some games are funner with less people. Also I've seen 24 on the PC version of TF2.
gamenux

How is 24 on PC? details, details...

How does it play? A but more hectic but not as much as some would think, definatly more action. I personally feel 16 people is the sweet spot.

Zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zor
Member since 2002 • 3289 Posts
Personally i prefer 32 vs 32 matches. CoD2 was able to do that, and that game came out years ago. Also to the person who stated that they didn't like it when the outcome of a match wasn't in their hands, i have to state that, that the whole point to a team match. Its team vs team. It isn't a deathmatch. If your on a horrible team, then no matter how good you are, you will lose, and if you try to lone wolf it and disregard you team mates, then your team likely to lose. I find that to be a lot of fun, but i can understand how it can be annoying, since you have to rely on people you don't know.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
More players don't make a better game. Halo is perfect with 16 players anythign more and it will be a boring frag fest with no teamwork. COD2 has 64 players on PC and it is just horrible.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

More players don't make a better game. Halo is perfect with 16 players anythign more and it will be a boring frag fest with no teamwork. COD2 has 64 players on PC and it is just horrible.Deihmos

No, but it can be better than any 8 vs 8 game. More options = good. CoD2 doesn't work well with 64 players,but any Tribes game, Joint Strike Ops, Red Orchestra or Armed Assault/Operation Flashpoint work very well with 32 vs 32 or sometimes even 64 vs 64. It's nice to have a war-like atmosphere and tactics, which Halo will never be able to deliver

It all depends on a game, but bigger player limit is always a good thing.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
TF2 has 24 players on the PC, and with that many people, it gets a bit hectic. Not totally chaotic, but pretty close. 16 would probably be a better number.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Depends heavily on the game being played, the size of the maps involved and the strategy behind the objectives of the map.

Most PC shooters (on enclosed urban maps) are best at around 10v10 to 16v16. Unless its Battlefield.
Mstrchiefpwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Mstrchiefpwns
Member since 2006 • 814 Posts
more players does not make a game better, necessarily
coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]I've been on some 24 player servers playing TF2. Edit: On the PC.gamenux

How is the 24 on the PC? Is it crazy but fun? cause I like game with lots of people allowed.

Actually its the perfect amount. I think there are 32 servers now also.

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts

I was a ladder player back when tribes was awesome and the (32+) was usually just pug servers with crappy players that I dominated for fun. Could be different now since everything is moving into casual land.

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts

TF2 has 24 players on the PC, and with that many people, it gets a bit hectic. Not totally chaotic, but pretty close. 16 would probably be a better number. sonicmj1

Wrong? there are 9 classes in the game. If there are 8 players on a team that means EPIC fail.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]I've been on some 24 player servers playing TF2. Edit: On the PC.gamenux

I wouldn't want any more than 24 players. The map gets pretty active after about 20.
Sir_Marwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sir_Marwin
Member since 2006 • 9734 Posts

Wrong? there are 9 classes in the game. If there are 8 players on a team that means EPIC fail.

coolmonkeykid

that is kind of true so it would be nice if the game had more than 9 players on each team :?
Mandingo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mandingo101
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
on pc i rarely play on 16 player servers. the reason its not on consoles as much has to do with technical limitations in some cases and the lack of dedicated servers(especially in XBL's case). i dont plan on playing TF2 on 16 player servers either.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
For TF2 on the PC...Im sure the 24 player limit will be broken as soon as the game is released and servers will start hosting a lot more.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

It all depends on the game design. Would basketball be more fun if it was 10 on 10?

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]More players don't make a better game. Halo is perfect with 16 players anythign more and it will be a boring frag fest with no teamwork. COD2 has 64 players on PC and it is just horrible.AdrianWerner

No, but it can be better than any 8 vs 8 game. More options = good. CoD2 doesn't work well with 64 players,but any Tribes game, Joint Strike Ops, Red Orchestra or Armed Assault/Operation Flashpoint work very well with 32 vs 32 or sometimes even 64 vs 64. It's nice to have a war-like atmosphere and tactics, which Halo will never be able to deliver

It all depends on a game, but bigger player limit is always a good thing.

Halo is not that kind of game. WOuldn't work well with so many players 8 - 16 is perfect. Battlefield works well with 64 playersbut you cannot communicate with all the team members only the 6 players in your squad. Imagine if you would communicate with everyone?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Halo is not that kind of game. WOuldn't work well with so many players 8 - 16 is perfect.

Deihmos

nope..that's just lame excuse. Halo takes place in big open ended areas with lots of vehicle action, it would be a LOT better if it had at least 32 players limit

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts
i dont see why it even goes to 16. 4v4 is fine.
lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

Halo is not that kind of game. WOuldn't work well with so many players 8 - 16 is perfect.

AdrianWerner

nope..that's just lame excuse. Halo takes place in big open ended areas with lots of vehicle action, it would be a LOT better if it had at least 32 players limit

there are only a few big maps. the best maps are the smaller ones.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
More options is always better. If there were actually some maps designed to support 32 players Halo3 could have damned good huge battles. In a lot of ways it feels like the game was made for that with so many vehicles and power weapons.... as is they just ruin game balance in small matches.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
I don't think it's about the engine. Halo just wouldn't work with these Battalion sized teams.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Deihmos

I don't think it's about the engine. Halo just wouldn't work with these Battalion sized teams.Spartan070

That is a sweet video right there.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I love it how all of the Halo fanboys say that Halo isn't that type of game or it wouldn't work with Halo. The fact of the matter is we will never actually know. I know Bungie is a good developer, I am sure they could have found some way for 32 players to work on the 360. It probably would be praised by Halo fanboys. I still have fun with 4v4 on Gears and Halo 3 so I am not going to complain.
Zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zor
Member since 2002 • 3289 Posts

I think AdrianWerner said it best, having a lot of players in a game that can handle it is nice since it adds to the war-like atmosphere. I should have added that to my last post about enjoying large scale battles. I enjoy chaos in my FPS for the most part, i have actually gotten use to it to the point where i plan my attack around it... which sounds odd since it should be impossible to plan anything when there so much chaos involve.

Also, small scale FPS matches always bring me out of the game. Lets say we have a CoD game, where its only 16 players online, and the maps are the usually sort (towns, battlefields, etc). This would bring me out of the game in the sense there wouldn't be enough people to make the match seem like a war. A game is a game, but when am playing it i don't want it to feel like a game.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

AdrianWerner

couldn't agree more. Than again, Halo multi leaves much to be desired anyway in my opinion, especially compared to games that have been out for ages, ie..Tribes, TFC and of course BF.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

Are these 2 engines showing their ages? For a next-gen game, shouldn't they both by 32 max (at least). I was bummed when I found out TF2 is only 16 max. I thought it would be 32max.

I don't know if I will be getting the orange box like I planned cause I like 28+ gamer.

discuss.

gamenux

i thought 16 for halo 3 was low but after playing games of even 8 players in a match, its a riot lol 32 players would be way too much

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Personally i prefer 32 vs 32 matches. CoD2 was able to do that, and that game came out years ago.Zor

On the PC... not on the 360.

Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
No. The maps aren't built around that many people.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Zor"]Personally i prefer 32 vs 32 matches. CoD2 was able to do that, and that game came out years ago.Funkyhamster

You should try a 64 player game in cod2. It's a lame frag fest.

-Feath-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Feath-
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts

64-player CoD2 is rather pointless, can't go anywhere without getting instantly shot.

As for 16-player games, it has always felt like the perfect amount for consoles, but on the PC, 32 player seems more..suited for some reason. In TF2, it is more frantic than it's console counterpart but that is what the game was intended to be, plus it manages to be as frantic as TFC without the incessant grenade spamming.

I guess the frenzy would immerse you more, like others have said; the 'war' feeling.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
on the PC TF2 can easly be patched to have more players.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
Having more players doesn't make the experience better, it all depends on what player counts the maps and mechanics are designed to accomodate.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 peacebringer
Having more players doesn't make the experience better, it all depends on what player counts the maps and mechanics are designed to accomodate.TyrantDragon55
If the maps are big, you need more players Period, or not your left walking long ways with no contact TF2 and Halo 3 both make smaller lvls(compared to a tribes or Battlefield). a Game like Battlefield really feels like war when the servers are filled, it seems in a game like battlefield you can never have to much
Under-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Under-Wolf
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I really believe that 16 max is alot better. 32 players is just too chaotic. Besides, it prevents lag and adds on to more tense, competitive games.
IndianaJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IndianaJosh
Member since 2003 • 5159 Posts
[QUOTE="Funkyhamster"]

[QUOTE="Zor"]Personally i prefer 32 vs 32 matches. CoD2 was able to do that, and that game came out years ago.Deihmos

You should try a 64 player game in cod2. It's a lame frag fest.

That's true, because the game wasn't designed for that many people. How about Battlefield 2? Battlefield 2 was designed for a lot of people, and it works well.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

[QUOTE="TyrantDragon55"]Having more players doesn't make the experience better, it all depends on what player counts the maps and mechanics are designed to accomodate.peacebringer
If the maps are big, you need more players Period, or not your left walking long ways with no contact TF2 and Halo 3 both make smaller lvls(compared to a tribes or Battlefield). a Game like Battlefield really feels like war when the servers are filled, it seems in a game like battlefield you can never have to much

Halo actually has some decent sized maps, 16 players seems like enough to me considering the map size. I wouldn't know for sure because I don't go into the larger battles, I prefer 4 v.s. 4 team slayer games and 5 player free-for-alls.

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Great_Ragnarok
Member since 2007 • 3069 Posts
32 player option would've been perfect but Halo3 gameplay is more intense in smaller maps so its not a loss.
Bromz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bromz
Member since 2005 • 1639 Posts
More players don't make a better game. Halo is perfect with 16 players anythign more and it will be a boring frag fest with no teamwork. COD2 has 64 players on PC and it is just horrible.Deihmos
If it had 24 player, I'd bet good money you wouldn't be saying that.
NerdMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NerdMan
Member since 2002 • 2749 Posts
24 people works really well in TF2, allows for a good variety of classes. I've yet to try out the 32 person servers.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 peacebringer

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="TyrantDragon55"]Having more players doesn't make the experience better, it all depends on what player counts the maps and mechanics are designed to accomodate.TyrantDragon55

Halo actually has some decent sized maps, 16 players seems like enough to me considering the map size. I wouldn't know for sure because I don't go into the larger battles, I prefer 4 v.s. 4 team slayer games and 5 player free-for-alls.

i'm sure they made the maps with 16 players in mind. but i'm just saying if they can make the lvl bigger obviously more people can fit and it won't be chaotic. like Battlefield Series, the LVLs are HUGE. it doesn't even get chaotic expect at some points were opposing sides meet lol (somewhere in the middle of the bridge) it just makes more sense if there a fire fight there gonna be more than 16 soldiers lol. or better yet 8 on each team lol
GODFLESH_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GODFLESH_basic
Member since 2003 • 1018 Posts

That really sucks consoles can only have 16 players, you can't even have every player on your team being all the classes. This really sucks for alot of reasons. Pyro is an unpopular class, when you only have 16 people playing, you're less likely to have a pyro, or a medic.

Seems it would also be difficult to be a spy (one of the most fun classes in the game), since there are less people, you will be picked out and shot quite easily. They get picked out enough with 32 people playing, let alone 16.

You guys shouldn't be defending the less players per server decision, you're really missing out.