Worst story in a game?

• 200 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

l-lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 l-lord
Member since 2009 • 853 Posts

Probably GTA4 and MW2. There's many more but i am too lazy to mention them

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts

l-lord
No way Mw2. I thought the story in Mw2 is stronger than many other fps.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Monster Hunter Tri :P

Monkey_N1nga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Monkey_N1nga
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts

l-lord
really gta 4, anyways i think borderlands
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Dark Sector for games that attempt to have a story.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

I can't decide between MW2 and Black Ops.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Call of Jaurez the cartel, horrible, horrible story.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
[QUOTE="l-lord"]

blabbyboy

XD
l-lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 l-lord
Member since 2009 • 853 Posts

[QUOTE="l-lord"]

blabbyboy

LOL no

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy
jtm33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jtm33
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
[QUOTE="l-lord"]

blabbyboy

Yeah the bar has been set really low :p
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Every CoD has had an awful story. Borderlands was really bad too. Crysis 2 was a sorry excuse for a story. Sniper Ghost Warrior was laughably bad, and so was GTA4. DA2 was supposed to be bad, but I never bothered to play the whole thing.

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts
[QUOTE="jtm33"][QUOTE="blabbyboy"][QUOTE="l-lord"]

Yeah, Mw2 dosen't have the best story but then again most fps's are pretty lacking in a good campaign. Take battlefield bad company 2's campaign, or farcry2.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i think zelda or mario once you hit the end we all know it's gannon or bowser.all CoD,dark sector.RE4-5

jtm33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jtm33

Well there are many games which have absolutely no story at all. Are they all tied for first place in bad story? Or does the prize go to the game which attempts to have a story but absolutely fails in every way imaginable?

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Well for one that tried, Half-life. The story-telling was awesome but the story was dull.
Mr_Positive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr_Positive
Member since 2011 • 147 Posts

Worst story in a game that actually attempted a story...I'd give it to Indigo Prophecy from what I've played. It went from interesting murder mystery to pants-on-head retarded festival of kung-fu and Tron aliens.

Slashkice
Ha, I remember that, it was a decent Murder Mystery and intrigued me, but as soon as Lucas started beating up cops and doing backflips......
aDDiKt24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aDDiKt24
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts
Dead Rising 2 comes straight to mind. Also the conclusion of Borderlands was so disgusting. I felt sick afterwards. All that time and effort for that!
aDDiKt24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aDDiKt24
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

Worst story in a game that actually attempted a story...I'd give it to Indigo Prophecy from what I've played. It went from interesting murder mystery to pants-on-head retarded festival of kung-fu and Tron aliens.

Slashkice
Open your mind a little. It went crazy, but at least it was semi-interesting! There have been much much worse!
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shalashaska88
[QUOTE="jtm33"][QUOTE="blabbyboy"] No way Mw2. I thought the story in Mw2 is stronger than many other fps.blabbyboy

Yeah, Mw2 dosen't have the best story but then again most fps's are pretty lacking in a good campaign. Take battlefield bad company 2's campaign, or farcry2.

I'm not really the biggest fan of the Halo series, but Halo 3, ODST and Reach are MUCH better than MW2 in terms of story. Bioshock had a good story as well, with System Shock 2 being one of the best. Dude, don't just look at military shooters. There are tons of other FPSes in the market.
jtm33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jtm33
Well for one that tried, Half-life. The story-telling was awesome but the story was dull.Mr_Cumberdale
A bit unfair, see it in context. It was an FPS game released in 1998. It kinda was a big deal. I agree that it's story as it stands today is poor though.
lostfan132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostfan132
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

modern warfare 2, apparently theres characters in this series that people care about, i didn't even know mw1 and 2 had a connected story.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
[QUOTE="l-lord"]

blabbyboy

There's tons of plot holes in MW2, it's a crap story. In fact it's worse than most FPS games.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]Well for one that tried, Half-life. The story-telling was awesome but the story was dull.jtm33
A bit unfair, see it in context. It was an FPS game released in 1998. It kinda was a big deal. I agree that it's story as it stands today is poor though.

HL2 is the best story in an FPS game today. There are so many things involved it's insane. It's not finished yet though, so who knows what's in store for it.

Go herefor the timeline: http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

why do people hate on MW2's story? its entertaining, it doesnt drag its feet, and it has some good voice actors (not all). it does its job. what are you expecting story-wise out of a game that is essentially the video game equivalent to a popcorn movie?

MetalMajorWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MetalMajorWolf
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Metroid: Other M
So bad

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DragonfireXZ95

why do people hate on MW2's story? its entertaining, it doesnt drag its feet, and it has some good voice actors (not all). it does its job. what are you expecting story-wise out of a game that is essentially the video game equivalent to a popcorn movie?

arbitor365
Because most popcorn movies blow, in fact almost everything that's come out of Hollywood in the last 5 years has been pure crap. Also, this: http://www.gamesradar.com/modern-warfare-2s-glaring-plot-holes-exposed/
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shalashaska88

arbitor365
I don't think people hate the story, but saying that it has the best story as a shooter is laughable. There are tons of other fps with better stories. Like Halo for example.
jtm33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jtm33

[QUOTE="jtm33"][QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]Well for one that tried, Half-life. The story-telling was awesome but the story was dull.DragonfireXZ95

HL2 is the best story in an FPS game today. There are so many things involved it's insane. It's not finished yet though, so who knows what's in store for it.

He said Half-Life, not HL2. I have played and absolutely adore HL2.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

[QUOTE="jtm33"] A bit unfair, see it in context. It was an FPS game released in 1998. It kinda was a big deal. I agree that it's story as it stands today is poor though.jtm33

He said Half-Life, not HL2. I have played and absolutely adore HL2.

I know, I'm just... saiyan. :P But Half Life is tied into HL2, so it's not like it can't be counted as one.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 soulitane
[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

shalashaska88
I don't think people hate the story, but saying that it has the best story as a shooter is laughable. There are tons of other fps with better stories. Like Halo for example.

Halo has a pretty bad story as well, I think the darkness is a better example :P
Mr_Positive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mr_Positive
Member since 2011 • 147 Posts
[QUOTE="shalashaska88"][QUOTE="arbitor365"]

soulitane

Halo has a pretty bad story as well, I think the darkness is a better example :P

Actuall, Halo's story is pretty good, and its Backstory is quite great. But its Storytelling, that's awful. ^^^^^^All my opinion of course.....
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shalashaska88
[QUOTE="shalashaska88"][QUOTE="arbitor365"]

soulitane

Hmm, I dunno kinda like how Reach ended. And the soundtrack complements the story very well. Haven't played the Darkness, so I can't make a judgement. But I'm not only listing the Halo series, The -shock series have good storylines. :)
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soulitane
[QUOTE="Mr_Positive"] Actuall, Halo's story is pretty good, and its Backstory is quite great. But its Storytelling, that's awful. ^^^^^^All my opinion of course.....

I'm going to disagree, it's not all that great. Like you said though it is just opinion.[QUOTE="shalashaska88"][QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="shalashaska88"] Hmm, I dunno kinda like how Reach ended. And the soundtrack complements the story very well. Haven't played the Darkness, so I can't make a judgement. But I'm not only listing the Halo series, The -shock series have good storylines. :)

Reach did have a nice ending and the soundtrack in all of them are great. I just don't think the stories are all that :P Never played the earlier system shock games but bioshock did have a pretty good story.
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

shalashaska88

I never said it has one of the best storylines. that was someone else.

and actually I think halo reach had one of the worst storylines of any big-name FPS this gen. especially if you compare it to the book. the characters of the spartans are completely dull and emotionless. there are countless plotholes, especially surrounding the circumstances of each character's death (ruining what little impact they could have had).

the thing that really gets me about halo reach is that it could have had a great story that fleshed out the halo universe and it just didnt. and also its "bad" in a boring way. which is the worst way for me. I can forgive a sloppy story in an FPS game as long as it at least attempts to entertain me.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
only counting this gen. borderlands just cause 2 red faction guerrilla tekken 6
streak000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 streak000
Member since 2007 • 6802 Posts

In no particular order:

Final Fantasy XIII (the half hearted, atrocious story is actually a bigger sin than the linearity)

MW2 (I didn't mind the story in MW1, but this was just nonsensical, disjointed garbage)

MGS4 (most embarrassing dialogue ever written and the worst MGS plot by a mile)

Bayonetta (even though I loved the game)

Gears of War 2 (Dom crying after a wife we never learn anything about. The tunnels created by the Locust's best friend the giant worm. A deadly serious tone. Horrid...)

Dark Sector (simply awful)

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#40 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

How come everytime somebody makes a "worst of" thread, people almost never pick the actual worst ones? Have you guys heard of Borderlands? Hell, I'm sure there's even games out there that make Borderland's story look good.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Have you guys heard of Borderlands? Hell, I'm sure there's even games out there that make Borderland's story look good.

Master_ShakeXXX

Third post in.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The lack of star Ocean 4 in this thread disturbs me.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Master_ShakeXXX

In no particular order:

Final Fantasy XIII (the half hearted, atrocious story is actually a bigger sin than the linearity)

MW2 (I didn't mind the story in MW1, but this was just nonsensical, disjointed garbage)

MGS4 (most embarrassing dialogue ever written and the worst MGS plot by a mile)

Bayonetta (even though I loved the game)

Gears of War 2 (Dom crying after a wife we never learn anything about. The tunnels created by the Locust's best friend the giant worm. A deadly serious tone. Horrid...)

Dark Sector (simply awful)

streak000

None of those are even close to being the worst.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 soulitane

How come everytime somebody makes a "worst of" thread, people almost never pick the actual worst ones? Have you guys heard of Borderlands? Hell, I'm sure there's even games out there that make Borderland's story look good.

Master_ShakeXXX
I think a lot of people are mentioning games that seem to try and have a good story. If I remember borderlands didn't really focus on the story, it was just there to give you a reason to do things.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#45 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX
Because it barely even tried. I personally wouldnt list it despite it being awful. I think the bigger offenders -should- be the games that make a good effort at delivering a plot and has a foundation that relies on a narrative; because it's something substantial to the product that's worth a 'critique'.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

soulitane

I think a lot of people are mentioning games that seem to try and have a good story. If I remember borderlands didn't really focus on the story, it was just there to give you a reason to do things.

That's not how I define worst. Worst would be a story that gets absolutely nothing right. Borderlands was the only game this gen I played where there was literally no saving grace to the story. Everything about it was god awful. GTA4, Gears 2, MGS4, MW2, and whatever other game most people mentioned, those stories did some things right, like for example, actually make a little bit of sense.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

illmatic87

Because it barely even tried. I personally wouldnt list it despite it being awful. I think the bigger offenders -should- be the games that make a good effort at delivering a plot and has a foundation that relies on a narrative; because it's something substantial to the product that's worth a 'critique'.

TC should have been more specific then if that's what he/she meant. When somebody asks me what's the worst, I think of the absolute, bottom of the garbage pile, WORST.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17694 Posts
MGS4. Garbage, garbage, garbage. Not the WORST, but that so many praise it for its "great storytelling" is laughable. It was terribly told.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Crysis 1 and BC2 were really bad.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points