Will the Wiimote's novelty ever wear off? --Poll--

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Awakening124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Awakening124
Member since 2004 • 379 Posts
Personally, I say the second choice is the most realistic, and pretty likely.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What novelty? It is more just potential right now. They just need to find people with creative ideas in how to use it.
Sparkys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Sparkys
Member since 2004 • 4074 Posts

Did the analog stick wear off? Did shoulder buttons?

Did the Power Glove? Oops, forget this one....

No, it won't.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Right now, I doubt. The thing is just taking off, it hasn't even had time to mature yet. All good things come in due time, rome wasn't built in a day, and I can forsee the Wii offering a wonderful experience in the near future, when the devs who've put a lot of work and energy into a "Superb" title, and when it releases it will something "Like. No. Other." -Sony Quote. :P
Awakening124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Awakening124
"They just need to find people with creative ideas in how to use it." That's what I mean with the second answer in the poll.
Awakening124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Awakening124
"Did the analog stick wear off? Did shoulder buttons? Did the Power Glove? Oops, forget this one.... No, it won't." Well that's what I'm wondering...is it the next analog stick or the next power glove? Sure, it's to early to tell for sure right now, but there's no harm in a prediction (unless you wave it around as undeniable fact).
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Even without the motion sensors, it's still a normal controller. (just shaped funny)

But it will depend on the software. IMHO it seems very unlikely that no software ever again will make good use of the wiimote.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
At this rate, yes.
Awakening124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Awakening124
"IMHO it seems very unlikely that no software ever again will make good use of the wiimote." True, but three or four developers making good use of the wiimote doesn't make for a successful console. Nintendo's gonna have to put out more Zeldas than Cooking Mamas is they want to stand a chance and, if Capcom's press release is any indication, they could very well be shooting themselves in the foot.
Sparkys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sparkys
Member since 2004 • 4074 Posts
[QUOTE="Awakening124"]"Did the analog stick wear off? Did shoulder buttons? Did the Power Glove? Oops, forget this one.... No, it won't." Well that's what I'm wondering...is it the next analog stick or the next power glove? Sure, it's to early to tell for sure right now, but there's no harm in a prediction (unless you wave it around as undeniable fact).

The Power Glove was a terrible idea. I just threw it in there as a joke. I have no reason to think the Wii Remote will wear off.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
[QUOTE="Sparkys"][QUOTE="Awakening124"]"Did the analog stick wear off? Did shoulder buttons? Did the Power Glove? Oops, forget this one.... No, it won't." Well that's what I'm wondering...is it the next analog stick or the next power glove? Sure, it's to early to tell for sure right now, but there's no harm in a prediction (unless you wave it around as undeniable fact).

The Power Glove was a terrible idea. I just threw it in there as a joke. I have no reason to think the Wii Remote will wear off.

And nintendo didn't make the power glove.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
It's really going to depend on the software. Right now, I haven't seen almost anything that makes such a good use of the remote that it seems like a massive shift in gaming. So somebody needs to get cracking and make something that simply can't be done on another system.
Awakening124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Awakening124
"And nintendo didn't make the power glove." Since we were just talking about gaming innovations that failed, whether or not Nintendo made it is irrelevant. ...That sounds rude, but I don't mean it that way.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
For me, it never had much novelty, only potential. I'm confident that motion sensing will become mainstream next gen.
hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts
It could go either way... but with all the gimmick titles coming out for the system. There is the possibility that the gimmick titles drive the remote and the system potential down. There isn't like a real sense of novelty for me with the remote. The system is a lot of fun if the game is done right with the wii mote in mind. I bought my wii expecting different kind of games that used the wii mote capabilities. Right now alot of the games are using it fine, I just expected more.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
Making good games has *nothing* to do with "utilizing the potential of the Wiimote" in the same way it has *nothing* to do with utilizing the DS touchscreen. Portrait of Ruin is an excellent game, and yet I never need to use my stylus to play.

The Wiimote is a tool to get people to buy into the Wii, and potentially a great way to add some new gameplay to games, however it isn't the whole system.

What is the salvation of the Wii (as it was for the DS) is that novelty sells systems, and high system sales lead to developer support. A large fanbase means developer can create niche games, hardcore games, et cetera withou fear. A small fanbase (like the one the Gamecube enjoyed) leads to a small library, which eventually dooms the system.
Awakening124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Awakening124
"Making good games has *nothing* to do with "utilizing the potential of the Wiimote" in the same way it has *nothing* to do with utilizing the DS touchscreen. Portrait of Ruin is an excellent game, and yet I never need to use my stylus to play." I don't quite understand your comparison...you have the option to not use the stylus on the DS, but with the Wii you HAVE to use the Wiimote with every new game that comes out. You basically said that the stylus drew people in to get the DS but it's not why people still love it because you have the option to not use the stylus...or something. You can't say the same about the Wii since you have to use the Wiimote...
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts
If they expand on the motion sensing VS doing the same thing over and over... then it wont wear off. If they keep doing the same lame thing over and over.. then yes... it will wear off.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
Weren't people saying this stuff about the DS? :? But I can see where it's different since it's a handheld and we are dealing with consoles now where the competition is much more fierce and the market is much larger.
Avatar image for michaelareb0001
michaelareb0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 michaelareb0001
Member since 2005 • 1366 Posts

My only real complaints are that in most games,

• a certain movement only triggers a predefined animation (Zelda)
  • that only small ranges of motion and partial motion data is used to calculate the movement on screen (Wii Sports)

I know it's early in the systems life, but when I can hit home runs with a flick of the wrist more frequently than with a full swing, that's pretty gimmicky. If the wiimote can interperate full ranges of motion and force and realisticly translate them to the screen, then we got something. Untill then most of the motion sensing magic relys on the user ignoring the fact that a very tiny pieces of what you do translates into what happens in the game.

If there are limitations to the hardware of the Wiimote that would keep this from happening, I'm pretty sure it's gonna get old really, really fast.

AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
No, once Devs start to use it in creative ways it'll become a standard for future gens
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AvinashTyagi

• a certain movement only triggers a predefined animation (Zelda)
  • that only small ranges of motion and partial motion data is used to calculate the movement on screen (Wii Sports)

I know it's early in the systems life, but when I can hit home runs with a flick of the wrist more frequently than with a full swing, that's pretty gimmicky. If the wiimote can interperate full ranges of motion and force and realisticly translate them to the screen, then we got something. Untill then most of the motion sensing magic relys on the user ignoring the fact that a very tiny pieces of what you do translates into what happens in the game.

If there are limitations to the hardware of the Wiimote that would keep this from happening, I'm pretty sure it's gonna get old really, really fast.

michaelareb0001

You do realize Wii sports was more tech demo than fully fleshed out game? If you want more depth, look to games like the Tiger Woods golf
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AvinashTyagi
[QUOTE="Awakening124"]"Making good games has *nothing* to do with "utilizing the potential of the Wiimote" in the same way it has *nothing* to do with utilizing the DS touchscreen. Portrait of Ruin is an excellent game, and yet I never need to use my stylus to play." I don't quite understand your comparison...you have the option to not use the stylus on the DS, but with the Wii you HAVE to use the Wiimote with every new game that comes out. You basically said that the stylus drew people in to get the DS but it's not why people still love it because you have the option to not use the stylus...or something. You can't say the same about the Wii since you have to use the Wiimote...

Not at all, Fire Emblem lets you choose not to use the Wiimote
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
I think its here to stay for the following reasons: 1) Every Wii system has it. Thus the potential sales of your game is how many Wii units are sold. The support will be there for it 2) Its very flexible for different type of games. As a developer you can add nunchuck (or future hardware) and you can change the way you use it (tilt it sideways for driving) 3) its very accurate and works well 4) Its expandable (similar to 2)
Avatar image for psycotictaratua
psycotictaratua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 psycotictaratua
Member since 2005 • 969 Posts
Dosen't novelty always wear off?  You should be asking the question: "Is the Wiimote a great new way to control video games, or a novelty one?"
Avatar image for psycotictaratua
psycotictaratua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psycotictaratua
Member since 2005 • 969 Posts
[QUOTE="michaelareb0001"]

• a certain movement only triggers a predefined animation (Zelda)

AvinashTyagi

You do realize Wii sports was more tech demo than fully fleshed out game? If you want more depth, look to games like the Tiger Woods golf

That looks like it could be great, my biggest problem with Wii Sports golfing is that it only has one course.

IAmRodyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 IAmRodyle
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
At this rate, yes.Wasdie
What rate? Is it slowing down?
fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
No way...Nintendo knows what they're doing. Third parties will jump in soon enough, the way the thing is selling. It's not all about the controller (even though, at the same time, it is!). I broke the VC seal this week and got Super Mario Bros. Now I can't stop buying new games! The Everybody Votes channel is the sort of thing I can see myself getting really in to...if they pump out regular polls I'll have a reason to turn the Wii on almost every day, regardless of what games are out for the system. There's so much more that they can do with that thing...the sky's the limit.
DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts
Did the novelty of rumble or the analog stick wear off? Nuff said.
Arcanine_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 Arcanine_88
Member since 2005 • 2219 Posts
The Wiimote puts you in the game more then the PS3 or 360 can. If only crappy games gets put out then sure people will get sick of the Wiimote. But if good titles that make great use of the Wiimote keeps on coming then we'll see the Wiimote have a long long life (and might even be the next D-Pad or Analog Stick).
Avatar image for michaelareb0001
michaelareb0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 michaelareb0001
Member since 2005 • 1366 Posts

You do realize Wii sports was more tech demo than fully fleshed out game? If you want more depth, look to games like the Tiger Woods golf AvinashTyagi

No kidding.

I was using it as an example. If sports games use the same method for determining movements as in WiiSports, then it's not really worth it. And since Tiger Woods isn't out, You or I can't really say how the motion sensing in that game fleshes out. I know in Madden if I flick my wrist hard enough I can throw a pass farther than if I planted my feet and let it rip.

If the Wiimote's hardware can interperate all the things that make up a swing or anyother movement, and it is utilized in a game, then it won't get old, it will work. But if there is a limit to what the hardware can interperate, and thus, the games can only use parts of a motion to determine movement, then it's not all that immersive. There seems to be a gray area to exactly what aspects of movement it can interperate and how accurately it can do it. 

My point, again, was that if the games require the user to ignore the fact that they could get the same results from a small isolated motion rather than the full, realistic motion, then it's not really anything it's cracked up to be. It may take a few generations of games to flesh this out, but it will ultimately be the deciding factor whether or not it is a gimmick, and thus gets old.

SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SyluxElite
Member since 2006 • 8950 Posts
10 poeple said the novelty has already worn off. :roll:  I need to give these people a good smack.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
Eventully, yes, but not for a couple years.  By that time, Nintendo will probably have a standered system as its next gen representive with some games using the Wii's motion sensing, but not all of them
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
You know what? I'm sure I'll get well beyond my $250 worth before its gets old. And full motion movements compared to flick of the wrist. Yeah, you could do either. And if its the case you always could, so what? I can play DDR with my hands or drive my car with my pinkys. Same results, but not as fun/intended. Its a game system, not a military flight simulator. Wii actually helped my golf swing by doing full motion. Sure, I could have just used the wrist, but there are benefits. Its pretty solid. I know I dont want to play videogame baseball, bowling, golf, or tennis any other way now. But thats just me
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts
Its novelty, yes.  It's gameplay, no.
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
All of the minigames are a result of the fact that at the moment the wiimote is a novelty. Once the hype dies down and people don't want to mimick all these different actions just for the sake of trying something new the more serious games will come out. The DS was a gimmick the wiimote is a gimmick but they're built in a way that both attracts attention and creates a solid playing experience. Nintendo has had a long history of creating great gaming hardware and if you've tried the wiimote then you'd agree that it's not going away.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Has the novelty of great graphics worn off?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f1dda6571ed7
deactivated-5f1dda6571ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#39 deactivated-5f1dda6571ed7
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts
prob not but only time will tell
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts
theres hardly any games even using gestures
wii sports is more 1:1, wario is gestures for the most part... and the rest of the games are generally just using the cursor or tilting