Will the Wii U get dreamcasted?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Keva820
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

I'm considering getting a Wii U for Nintendo's first party games but I'm worried that the system might be discontinued in a couple years. Should I be worried about it or just wait?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

'When' would be a more intelligent question

ShadowDoubt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 ShadowDoubt
Member since 2013 • 32 Posts

Does it really matter whether it gets discontinued, if you're interested in the games already released? If the games haven't captured you, then you can always wait for more titles and a price drop. There is no need to rush, I mean the ps3 also had a terrible first year.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

The Dreamcast was discontinued for financial/re-structural reasons pertaining to the company (SEGA). Nintendo is not in this situation.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Keva820

@shadowdoubt said:

Does it really matter whether it gets discontinued, if you're interested in the games already released? If the games haven't captured you, then you can always wait for more titles and a price drop. There is no need to rush, I mean the ps3 also had a terrible first year.

It does matter because if I'm gonna pay $300 for a crappy system with no games just for the thing to get discontinued prematurely I'll be pissed. I want a wii u for the games and games only, I'll have to deal with the console being terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Keva820 said:

@shadowdoubt said:

It does matter because if I'm gonna pay $300 for a crappy system with no games just for the thing to get discontinued prematurely I'll be pissed. I want a wii u for the games and games only, I'll have to deal with the console being terrible.

You just said you want to get it for games. Now you say it has no games. If you think it has no games, don't get it Kaszilla/TheKingIAm/Keva. And if you think it has games you want, get it and don't worry about any potential 'Dreamcasting,' Kaszilla/TheKingIAm/Keva. Or if you think it will have games you want, but doesn't have them yet, wait till it gets what you want and again, don't worry about the potential of discontinuation then Kaszilla/TheKingIAm/Keva.

DarthLefein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DarthLefein
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts

The 3DS will self-pay for a Wii 3

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

you know damn well you're not considering shit. you just like torturing the wii u

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

Don't compare Wii U with Dreamcast

Dreamcast was an amazing console, it's way ahead that time with powerful specs and amazing games such as Soul Calibur, Jet Set Radio, Sky Arcadia

Wii U? It's way behind this times with low specs, no third-party support, and terrible library. If Wii U fails, blame it to Nintendo's arrogance.

Well, if it's about comeback, WiiU should learn from PS3

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Wiiu won't sell as much as Dreamcast.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Keva820

@charizard1605 said:

@Keva820 said:

@shadowdoubt said:

You just said you want to get it for games. Now you say it has no games. If you think it has no games, don't get it Kaszilla/TheKingIAm/Keva. And if you think it has games you want, get it and don't worry about any potential 'Dreamcasting,' Kaszilla/TheKingIAm/Keva. Or if you think it will have games you want, but doesn't have them yet, wait till it gets what you want and again, don't worry about the potential of discontinuation then Kaszilla/TheKingIAm/Keva.

You're not making sense. The system has no games now but that doesn't mean further down the line it wont. I can deal with thr shytty console itself as long as it has games worth owning

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

I can't believe you just insulted the Dreamcast.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Keva820

@ihsanqueen said:

Dreamcast was an amazing console, it's way ahead that time with powerful specs and amazing games such as Soul Calibur, Jet Set Radio, Sky Arcadia

Wii U? It's way behind this times with low specs, no third-party support, and terrible library. If Wii U fails, blame it to Nintendo's arrogance.

You're right, the wii u is a 876578ft pile of rat dung compared to the dreamcast

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Keva820 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Keva820 said:

@shadowdoubt said:

You're not making sense. The system has no games now but that doesn't mean further down the line it wont. I can deal with thr shytty console itself as long as it has games worth owning

It has games.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Keva820

@timbers_WSU said:

How so? The wii eww is a disguisting product that will probably get cut like the dreamcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Keva820 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Keva820 said:

@shadowdoubt said:

I just made complete sense and pre-emptively answered the question you just raised, if you had reading comprehension beyond that of a third grader's, you would understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

By now the Dreamcast had more compelling games and perhaps better sales...

Can someone link Dreamcast worldwide sales anywhere between September to November 2000? Having trouble finding anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Samba De Amigo, Resident Evil 2, PowerStone 1 and 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Grandia II, Daytona USA, Sega GT, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Seaman, Quake III Arena, etc

The Dreamcast no doubt had the better games by this point over the Wii U, most of these were Sega first party... On the Wii U side there's barely been ANY first party games out. What has Nintendo's studios been doing, jacking off?

not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

Most likely. How many have been sold worldwide?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

@not_wanted said:

3.85 million, which is way worse than Gamecube and Dreamcast.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

The dreamcast sold well its 1st year and it had good games. I think the Wii U is doing way worse.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Micropixel

@RogueStatus28 said:

Can someone link Dreamcast worldwide sales anywhere between September to November 2000? Having trouble finding anything.

Here you go.

3.4 million from Sept 1999 to March 2003 (corresponding to the actual date this NPD report was posted 4 years after it's launch).

The Wii U is already past this.

EDIT: Upon further review, there were some bundle units I didn't account for in that report. Totaling them all together comes to 3,859,187 from it's September 1999 launch to March 2003 (the date in which this report was posted).

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@Micropixel said:

@RogueStatus28 said:

Here you go.

3.4 million from Sept 1999 to March 2003 (corresponding to the actual date this NPD report was posted 4 years after it's launch).

EDIT: Upon further review, there were some bundle units I didn't account for in that report. Totaling them all together comes to 3,859,187 from it's September 1999 launch to March 2003 (the date in which this report was posted).

Those Dreamcast numbers are NA only while the WiiU current numbers(less than 4M) are worldwide. Within that time frame(99-03) the DC sold about 10M units worldwide.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#24  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Its a great time to be a Playstation gamer. A wonderful time indeed. Wii U will get all the family games, while Coolyfett and his girlfriend will lust during gameplay of Playstation titles. U.S.A

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@Micropixel said:

The Dreamcast was discontinued for financial/re-structural reasons pertaining to the company (SEGA). Nintendo is not in this situation.

And no one in this forum will believe this.

Also, Kaszilla, who are you fooling? We know it's you.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Coolyfett

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Wiiu won't sell as much as Dreamcast.

Dude you gotta bring your avatar back man...almost didnt recognize ya old chum.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

@Keva820 said:

I'm considering getting a Wii U for Nintendo's first party games but I'm worried that the system might be discontinued in a couple years. Should I be worried about it or just wait?

i'm thinking both wiiu and xbone will get dreamcasted.

110% serious. i own a xbox 360 and am not a ps3 fanboy, see my game reviews for proof. but i just don't see either one of these systems selling even 20-30 million units. and that's not really a big number either.

here's how i see it.

xbone - everyone hates the kinect and the low system specs of the xbox one, the high $500 price is an absolute deal breaker. 720p and 30 fps is last gen bullshit. i mean get real already... but the controller is awesome!

the wiiu is a complete disaster and is even less "next gen" than xbone. it has no new games and nintendo is in denial about giving people what they want in terms of new high end tech. they think mario and zelda will sell 100 million more consoles, but times have changed and people want next gen specs and nintendo just won't offer it or even try.

the ps4 is pretty nice, not as powerful as i would like but if it runs games at 1080p and 60fps then they're going to crush everything else with ease. i'm seriously not liking the idea of having to go back to that damn dual shock controller d-pad. this isn't 1995. c'mon, sony, get it together. think about it sony... why is it that xbox and xbox 360 was so popular with halo and COD respectively?? the left thumbstick controller and triggers! yes! that is it! HELLO!? oh, and btw, turn off that stupid annoying light while you're at it.

pc - can't wait for steam machines to start rolling out. with 65 million user instal base and half of them needing to uprage, this could be HUGE! love the idea of not having to use windows to game anymore, hope it becomes reality. i'm sick of microsoft nickle and diming us to death by forcing us to upgrade to a new version of directx and new directx related hardware.

so pc = win

ps4 = win

everything else = FAIL

/end rant

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Coolyfett

@RogueStatus28 said:

@not_wanted said:

So will Nintendo bring out a Wii 3?

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

@Coolyfett said:

@RogueStatus28 said:

@not_wanted said:

So will Nintendo bring out a Wii 3?

if they come out with a wii3 and it has a nice controller, no intrusive kinect style spy device thing attached to it, is priced around $400 and runs games at 60 fps at 1080p, then i'm in. it also needs a 1tb hard drive. both sony and m$ dropped the ball on that 500gb one. 500gb is just not enough space for next gen games, not even close.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

@ihsanqueen said:

word

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

It won't sell as well as the Gamecube, but it won't get Dreamcasted in the way of Nintendo pulling out of the console market. If Holiday sales for the Wii U don't meet a certain number then Nintendo will go full force on building the next-gen console and getting it ready in 4-5 yrs time. Mario Kart and Smash Bros won't save the Wii U. Did those games save the Gamecube?

There is one thing I can guarantee you guys. The Wii U will be the last console with the Wii name. The Wii brand will be canned.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

@emgesp: I would say that Smash and Mario Kart did save the GameCube. They were the best selling and second best selling games on the system. They clearly made a substantial impact on the sales of the GameCube.You have to look at the context of the 6th Generation. In that context, the GameCube really didn't do that badly. The 6th Gen was pretty rough for every console that wasn't the PS2 or the GBA. Yes, it's the lowest selling Nintendo home console, but you can't really expect much more when you're up against the unstoppable PS2. It had a decent collection of games, it was essentially tied for 2nd with the Xbox and it certainly did a lot better than the Dreamcast.

I do agree with you though, I expect Nintendo to be the first one out to the 9th gen and I don't expect it to be called the Wii.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Keva820 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

How so? The wii eww is a disguisting product that will probably get cut like the dreamcast.

Nevermind I figured out who you are. Anyway I am going to buy the WiiU in the next month or two most likely.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Micropixel

@MrYaotubo said:

@Micropixel said:

@RogueStatus28 said:

Here you go.

Those Dreamcast numbers are NA only while the WiiU current numbers(less than 4M) are worldwide. Within that time frame(99-03) the DC sold about 10M units worldwide.

You're probably right. I couldn't find any specific region information in that report (I didn't really look honestly because it's so long and the text is just tiny as hell).

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

It'll be Gamecubed. That's the closest and most realistic scenario I can think of.