Will Sony reconsider having Gamepass on Playstation?

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

This is the one question that has not been asked about the Bethesda deal.

Phil Spencer has said the Bethesda games will be on every platform that Gamepass is on. We know he tried to get Gamepass on Playstation before and I do think MIcrosoft will happily put it on there. MS have made thinly disguised hints that there could be a future for Bethesda on Playstation but it will come at this price.

Do you think that Sony will still remain steadfast at keeping Gamepass off of Playstation? Will this change depending on sales of both consoles this year?

Although there are not enough games on Gamepass for me - including Bethesda - to warrant getting the service - would any Playstation owners get Gamepass if it came to Playstation?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

"We know he tried to get Gamepass on Playstation before and I do think MIcrosoft will happily put it on there." When was this documented?

Why would PlayStation want Gamepass when they PSNow?

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

naw

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Sure why not, more games on PS is always good. Xbox community dont have to go buy xbox anymore either its a win-win situation.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jcafcwbb

@Pedro: https://www.laptopmag.com/news/xbox-game-pass-looking-to-expand-onto-ps4-and-switch

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro: https://www.laptopmag.com/news/xbox-game-pass-looking-to-expand-onto-ps4-and-switch

You didn't read your link

Spencer stated "I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry," he said. "I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions."

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I sense a lot of insecurity on this forum since yesterday. It’s a win for Microsoft if Sony allows it because they’d make even more money but I’d be curious in what form would it be allowed. Is it only streaming from the cloud like PSNow or will the games be able to run natively on the PS5? Either way I don’t see Sony allowing it due to pride and their faith in their own exclusive games. Sony might also be working on their own gamepass version too.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jcafcwbb

@Pedro: My point it that MS would have no problem bringing GP to PS and would actually love the extra revenue it would bring.

Or do you think that is false?

How about this one then?

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/08/23/microsoft-wants-xbox-game-pass-playstation/

Or are you saying the MS people are not speaking the truth when they say they will quite happily bring GP to all platforms?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

It is so strange to see people talk as if Sony doesn't have a similar offering to GamePass Ultimate. They may not release their games day one on it but PSNow is Sony's equal to GamePass Ultimate.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro: My point it that MS would have no problem bringing GP to PS and would actually love the extra revenue it would bring.

Or do you think that is false?

How about this one then?

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/08/23/microsoft-wants-xbox-game-pass-playstation/

Or are you saying the MS people are not speaking the truth when they say they will quite happily bring GP to all platforms?

This is what you stated "We know he tried to get Gamepass on Playstation before and I do think MIcrosoft will happily put it on there."

This is what was stated in both of you links

Decker said “You know, we would like to see Game Pass on all platforms ultimately, and I think that is a long-term goal. We don’t have any specific plans today, but we would love to see Game Pass really go everywhere.”

Spencer stated "I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry," he said. "I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions."

Neither of them stated that they tried to get Gamepass on Playstation. They both stated the opposite. That it something they would like to do but they don't have any plans at the moment of speaking to do so.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jcafcwbb said:

You didn't read your link

LOL So they were open? Another Sony arrogance? Sony should now beg for it if Phil's still feeling friendly.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

I cant see it. i just cant see the pitch MS could make that would entice sony to allow it (or nintendo for that matter).

Sony make money on game sales and services. if gamepass came to playstation then it will undermine that.

sure MS could split some of the gamepas revenue but, from sonys point of view, its still undermining their own business. unless the deal is something like sony get ALL of the gamepass revenue from users who use gamepass on playstation....even then its a stretch. as sony i would much prefer people use PSNow and subscribe to PS+.

allowing gamepass on something makes sense to companies that sell hardware at a profit and don't have their finger in the gaming services pie. gamepass on samsung tellies? absolutely. gamepass on your phone using streaming (or hell port the game if possible). please do.

but to sony or nintendo it would essentially be a parasite service.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcafcwbb

@Pedro: Unfortunately you are not willing to read between the lines. MS, by stating what they did, were angling to get Gamepass on Sony and Nintendo if they could. If you quit taking things so literally and see the context and nuance of what they were saying you would understand they were asking them to make a deal with them - the sounding out is part of business. I am not too sure what part of GP being on Sony perturbs you but it clearly does - just in my opinion of course - as you take things so literally

My feeling is that MS would like the Series X to be last console they make and they become a provider of games rather than a provider of hardware. The Netflix of video games - so to speak. If GP takes off they will have no reason to continue with the Xbox brand.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro

@jcafcwbb: The context and "nuance" is pretty clear, they DID NOT try to get Gampass on Playstation as you falsely claim, they have no current plans to but they would like to have it on as many platforms as they can. Why you are distorting their actual quotes to meaning something to the contrary is beyond me. Then you concluded with more baseless claims.😂

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I believe this is the bargaining stage...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

@jcafcwbb: Don't even bother trying to get through, unless you enjoy seeing someone get bent out of shape 🤭

I see that you are still "bent out of shape" from our last encounter. 🤭

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: Now you are embarrassing yourself for my entertainment. 😎

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

Seeks me out in a new thread because you are still butthurt about the last thread but I am the one with thin skin. 🤭

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

How can you reconsider something too ridiculous to even consider in the first place?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts

Xbox would love to have the Xbox Game Pass streaming app everywhere they can.. That's likely a full-stop statement..

But..

Why would Sony let Microsoft cannibalize Playstation software sales?..

If a PS5 owner decides to stream games via Game Pass, they (logically) may opt to play those 3rd party games via Game Pass rather than pay full retail price via the Playstation Store.. Beyond that, playing these games via a streaming solution may invite some PS5 owners to invest in an Xbox Series X|S in order to get the full native experience from their Game Pass subscription.. Thirdly this will drive up both Xbox Live monthly active user (MAU) and Game Pass subscription numbers which gives Microsoft leverage in future 2nd/3rd party exclusive deals..

All of this is good news for Xbox and none of it is good news for Playstation.. That said, I don't see Sony allowing Game Pass on Playstation and this is even without discussing the fact that Sony already has a competing service in PS Now..

Stratego7766

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Stratego7766
Member since 2021 • 45 Posts

What a stupid question.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Not going to happen because Sony would need to reach out to MS and we know that's not happening.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

I even got the fool to take the time to edit photos just for me and I am the one that is thin skinned. 😂🤣 Got to quote this badboy.

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: I know you think highly of yourself but I guess I underestimated your capacity 🤣🤣🤣

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

I could certainly see GamePass coming to PlayStation. I could also see it costing twice as much, or the XBox/PC platforms having some time exclusivity.

Remember - Microsoft became what Microsoft is with the mantra "The money is in the software, not the hardware."

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: What I imagine is you being so upset that you needed to edit photos to just to include me and you wonder why I think so highly of myself. 😂🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: I bet your own mind is the most entertaining place for you 🤣🤣🤣

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I think it would be smart if they did. All Microsoft's unavailable titles would then become available making PS the console with the most game availability, and MS would reap the increase in Gamepass subs. I'm betting alot of PS gamers without a PC would sub to GP whenever the hell Starfield and Elder Scrolls releases regardless of how they feel about Xbox.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Doubtful, if anything I am guessing they'll give it to Nintendo first if they will have it, as Sony is a competitor to both then it works out for either of them.

If Sony wanted to then sure maybe MS will play along, just doubtful Sony will want to when they have something that they can fix up to be quite similar. I would rather see Sony beef up PS Now and Plus to be more like Game Pass Ultimate and with it offer Sony's first party games just like Game Pass does.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6868 Posts

Not unless it only had exclusive titles from MS. Sony isn't going to split third party titles with them.