gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Microsoft is creating and riding the waves while drowning out the competition. #XboxAnywhere

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Will scorpio turn the tide in the console wars

NO.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#53 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Scorpio launching in 2017 is shite decision, Neo has a year head start bringing millions of more HW sold. By the time MS releases this, Sony can just counter it with something better. Going first will always be the worst solution, there just doing a Nintendo/Sega, X1 flops and release another.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Scorpio launching in 2017 is shite decision, Neo has a year head start bringing millions of more HW sold. By the time MS releases this, Sony can just counter it with something better. Going first will always be the worst solution, there just doing a Nintendo/Sega, X1 flops and release another.

when does the neo release?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

At this point, I would not even be surprised if Neo was just a ghost. Until it is actually announced, it sounds like a boogeyman that Sony was waving around to make MS dedicate resources to a new XBox. We'll see, though. I just wouldn't be surprised if they simply decide to hold out until PS5.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

In System Wars there is no tide/winner. Just a place where nonsense reigns and common sense gets buried within.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

At this point, I would not even be surprised if Neo was just a ghost. Until it is actually announced, it sounds like a boogeyman that Sony was waving around to make MS dedicate resources to a new XBox. We'll see, though. I just wouldn't be surprised if they simply decide to hold out until PS5.

MS owns Havoc and develops Minecraft for all platforms. Chances are they are aware of whats happening with their competition.

CVStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CVStar
Member since 2016 • 178 Posts

Even with the horrendous launch of the PS3, Sony sold more units than xbox 360 on a yearly basis. All Sony has to do is release the PS5 a year later, with a low price and better specs.

They just need to continue making money off PS4. When it stops making them money, then they will move on.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@draign said:
@Shewgenja said:

MS owns Havoc and develops Minecraft for all platforms. Chances are they are aware of whats happening with their competition.

Indeed. Except, they got rooked on the 8GBs in the PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Sony is probably right now starting work on a console beefier than the scorpio.

Sony doesn't have to suddenly stop making consoles because they made the Neo.

Microsoft has just gotta get used to fighting sony for life.

Avatar image for masonshoemocker
masonshoemocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 masonshoemocker
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

@cvstar: This is how I'm seeing it. If I'm Sony, I'm thinking, I need to just focus on making as much money as I can on the 40 million installed base right now. Nothing much Sony can do with Scorpio but accept it and launch a PS5 a year after Scorpio, with bumped up specs, to compete or beat it; and work on their online infrastructure.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#62 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@commander: This holiday apparently, i'll probably wait till 2017 myself.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@draign said:
@Shewgenja said:

Indeed. Except, they got rooked on the 8GBs in the PS4.

That was prior to the purchase of Minecraft and havoc. Moves straight out of the CIA handbook.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Scorpio + Xbox Won + Win10 = Sony Doooomed, do the math. :P

Why the need Xbox, Xbox offer nothing new to a PC owner/gamer.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#65 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Seems more like a headache for developers to port games to more consoles

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 commander

@Random_Matt said:

@commander: This holiday apparently, i'll probably wait till 2017 myself.

I don't think that is confirmed, some say march 2017.

spartanx169x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#67  Edited By spartanx169x
Member since 2013 • 2905 Posts

@raugutcon:

@raugutcon said:

NO.

Why are you yelling?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@dynamitecop: People said the same thing with PS3 when it released, it almost sunk the PS brand at 600 bucks. Face it, Xbox fans will have power bragging rights but that's about it. There's not even a guarantee Scorpio will be taken advantage of seeing as Sony has double the install base.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

Only time will tell if it turns the tide in console market share, but one thing is certain, it has obviously already turned the tide in Playstation fanboy's opinion on the importance of console power.

Ever since the PS4 and Xbox One were announced, Playstation fanboy's have constantly criticized Xbox One for being slightly weaker than the PS4. Until very recently, the PS4 was very weak on exclusives, but according to Playstation fanboys, that didn't matter because the only thing that mattered was that the PS4 was more powerful and had better multiplats. Now all of sudden, right after Microsoft reveals a console that is significantly more powerful than the PS4, power suddenly doesn't matter anymore and the only thing that matters now is exclusives. And if the game also appears on PC then it doesn't count since all console gamers in the world also game on high-end PCs now... except for Street Fighter V, we'll make an exception for this one and count it on the lists we make of games that Xbox owners can't play.

Well to be fair lems did the same thing in the first few years of PS3 making fun of "teh cell" and rightfully so since it was marketed as being powerful and was lower res for multiplats and lacked exclusives in it's first few years, and I agree it made me go buy a 360 for the first 3-4 years since there was barely anything worth getting. Xbox 1 had very few exclusives that warranted the price of it Ryse wasn't that great and Dead Rising was ok sure KI was cool and Forza well if you liked racing it was a good game. But PS4 is running better multiplats which Lems used as a tool in the 360 days as well. Now PS4 has had some great exclusives and so has Xbox but basically MS has admitted the One is less powerful and needed an update in some form which is why we have Scorpio at this point, so it's a back and forth between the two but Sony admitted and rightfully fired the idiot behind PS3 since it was bleeding money from it. Now MS is going in a different direction and well we'll see what the Scorpio brings.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This is a unwinnable war for microsoft.

Sony's just got too much brand, exclusive, developer, consumer gaming power right now. There making a lot of money for themselves and developers.

Microsoft needs something huge to turn this around. Honestly microsoft should have thought about power and talked to devs and gamers before releasing the xbox one that way they would have the strongest system etc and wouldn't be in this mess right now that they created.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#71 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

It will cost too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQgJ5XhnjY

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 commander

@ProtossRushX said:

This is a unwinnable war for microsoft.

Sony's just got too much brand, exclusive, developer, consumer gaming power right now. There making a lot of money for themselves and developers.

Microsoft needs something huge to turn this around. Honestly microsoft should have thought about power and talked to devs and gamers before releasing the xbox one that way they would have the strongest system etc and wouldn't be in this mess right now that they created.

yeah right, look at the x360.

Not to mention microsoft is the leading developper when it comes to development tools for gaming with directx since the end nineties.

Not to mention operating systems as well.

sony is in this business because they had a lot of luck, but luck runs out.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Wonder if Sony will complete the theme they've got going Morpheus, Neo but where's Trinity maybe that could be PS5 but wild speculation on my part.

As for Scorpio it needs to sell at a reasonable price otherwise it will cost MS money and Xbox division does not want to be unprofitable.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@davillain- said:

Whether you are team PS4 or team Xbox One. We aren't even 3 years into the PS4 or Xbox One. It feels completely disingenuous to be releasing "new hardware" at this point. This is not "PS4 slim" or "Xbox One slim". This is all new hardware which should have had these capabilities int he very beginning and I think it's obvious that unless you own a 4K TV, there is NO POINT to buy the new console.

If they sell it at too great a cost for themselves, they're gonna have to step up their game in terms of exclusive offerings to make up for it. If they sell it at too high a price, and the PS Neo sells for less, we're going to have a repeat performance of what's already happening right now. However, it might have some appeal to people who aren't looking to use it as an Xbox if instead they can use it as a powerful, inexpensive PC, or something.

Now to answer you're question, Will scorpio turn the tide in the console wars? The answer is simply NO, as I stated above why it WON'T turn the tide.

I disagree with you I am willing to bet games will begin to run at 720p 60fps on the current systems and 1080p 60fps + extra graphic effects on the new systems. FPS locked will be important though to avoid unfair advantage in multiplayer

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

They had a chance at the start of this gen to run the table. Scorpio is too little too late imo, as previously stated Xbox is doa outside of NA.

The more I think about it the less likely I believe it will succeed. It's not as if I want Xbox to die off and people lose jobs, that's awful. I just see Microsoft being sore losers and trying to torpedo the idea of console generations by release box after box. Then just try to fill the steambox category.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but this is Microsoft after all.

Avatar image for deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
Member since 2016 • 329 Posts

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Power has never decided which console sells the most. It is a bonus that PS4 is currently more powerful but the games are why its winning.

It doesn't hurt though, 99% of the fickle arguments around here have been about graphics and performance, don't fool yourself into thinking that this suddenly isn't important because in terms of both of those Sony is going to be lower on the totem pole.

yeah power has always been a major factor.

Not even remotely true, hense the PS1 and PS2 winning those gens.

Avatar image for deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
Member since 2016 • 329 Posts

No.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@Random_Matt said:

$600 is being touted, small sales.

If it's $600 I wouldn't expect small sales, not for what it is, you have to view the perceived value/benefit of the hardware itself which at a price like that would greatly exceed the cost.

No, I remember being a Sony fanboy back in 2006 and trying to make that SAME EXACT argument.

It doesn't work, at all. It may be a great deal for what you're getting, but ultimately it is still priced out of the range of being any kind of commercial success.

This is a particularly serious problem for MS as the "Xbox Exclusive" will soon be functionally dead, everything will be a "Windows exclusive", and for $600 you're approaching the state at which you may as well buy a pre-built gaming PC.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

@k--m--k: "Seems more like a headache for developers to port games to more consoles"

Just think about the extra overhead and stress on the already modest/meager 1st party studios. In most cases they now have to develop for 2-3 systems. "One, Scorpio and Pc"

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By commander

@naughtyottsel22 said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Power has never decided which console sells the most. It is a bonus that PS4 is currently more powerful but the games are why its winning.

It doesn't hurt though, 99% of the fickle arguments around here have been about graphics and performance, don't fool yourself into thinking that this suddenly isn't important because in terms of both of those Sony is going to be lower on the totem pole.

The ps1 was the strongest system by far of its gen because of the 3d chip and cd rom combo. A lot of devs abandoned the n64 because it didn't have enough storage for certain game projects. Other systems like the saturn were not built from the ground up for 3d. So for 3d games the playstation was by far the strongest system, hence its major success.

The ps2 released a lot sooner than the other systems of its gen (besides the dreamcast but I'll get to that later). When the ps2 released the xbox and gamecube was still on the drawing board. Sony also had a major adavantage with this timing because the ps1 was so much better than all the other systems of its gen, so people didn't wait for the other systems.

They also didn't buy the dreamcast because the ps2 was considerably stronger than the existing dreamcast. Prior to the release of the dreamcast sony released the specs of the ps2 and they even exaggerated the specs a bit, making the ps2 seem a lot stronger than it already was compared to the dreamcast.

Sega already had lost a lot if support because of failure after failure with saturn, 32x and sega cd, so the announcement of the ps2 with its superior hardware specs made people reluctant to buy the system. The fact that certain devs abandoned the system (like ea) only made things worse and the bad management of the company was the final nail in the coffin.

A year after the ps2 released the dreamcast was discontinued and the rest is history.

So yeah power is a major factor, it always is. I suppose you never heard of the bit wars ?

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

I remember when lems said xbone would have more games than PS4 too....lol lems have said some dumb things in the past, it seems nothing has changed.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@commander said:
@naughtyottsel22 said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:

The ps1 was the strongest system by far of its gen because of the 3d chip and cd rom combo. A lot of devs abandoned the n64 because it didn't have enough storage for certain game projects. Other systems like the saturn were not built from the ground up for 3d. So for 3d games the playstation was by far the strongest system, hence its major success.

The ps2 released a lot sooner than the other systems of its gen (besides the dreamcast but I'll get to that later). When the ps2 released the xbox and gamecube was still on the drawing board. Sony also had a major adavantage with this timing because the ps1 was so much better than all the other systems of its gen, so people didn't wait for the other systems.

They also didn't buy the dreamcast because the ps2 was considerably stronger than the existing dreamcast. Prior to the release of the dreamcast sony released the specs of the ps2 and they even exaggerated the specs a bit, making the ps2 seem a lot stronger than it already was compared to the dreamcast.

Sega already had lost a lot if support because of failure after failure with saturn, 32x and sega cd, so the announcement of the ps2 with its superior hardware specs made people reluctant to buy the system. The fact that certain devs abandoned the system (like ea) only made things worse and the bad management of the company was the final nail in the coffin.

A year after the ps2 released the dreamcast was discontinued and the rest is history.

So yeah power is a major factor, it always is. I suppose you never heard of the bit wars otherwise you would make uninformed statements like this.

The Saturn was a more powerful system than the PlayStation in both 2D and 3D, however it was much harder to develop for given its two GPU's, it was also more technologically advanced in its rendering abilities.

The PlayStation couldn't render half-transparent casting shadows nor could it render flat/correct texture mapping which was symetrical on Saturn, it could only do affine texture mapping which made textures appear bent.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By commander

@casharmy said:

I remember when lems said xbone would have more games than PS4 too....lol lems have said some dumb things in the past, it seems nothing has changed.

yeah sure you can keep your low budget titles and delayed released dates.

The ps4 is the most boring console I had besides the amiga cd32.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@commander:

Is not the same CPU,in fact it says Neo may pack a Zen CPU from AMD,and the leaker who release the info about neo,already is on record on Neogaf claiming that sony had at least 2 Neo Units,that specs still not lock and that also a stronger CPU may be in order.

Using Zen would not break compatibility at all.

1080p is a strain on the GPU not the CPU,resolution is a job of the GPU.

But to answer your question no it would not change anything,people who believe that the PS4 is winning just because of power don't know the industry.

@dynamitecop said:

Here and the market are 2 different things.

You mean you suddenly care about power again.?

I remember you on your other accounts always downplaying the graphics gaps.

@dynamitecop said:

You should read about polaris and its efficiency and performance per watt, they're going to be relatively low power state GPU's in relation to their output, I wouldn't expect much heat.

Also that's just polaris, the fact is Scorpio could even be based on Vega which would again be even more efficient.

I don't think so one thing you lemmings refuse to see is that the 480 can do 6TF by just OC,in fact at stock 1266mhz it does 5.83TF which is basically scorpio specs,MS would be incredibly stupid if they chose Vega which has way more CU than polaris 10 only to lower it to polaris 10 specs.

This is why i don't find those specs incredible in any way i am sure sony doesn't either,they know the GPU inside Neo at 1266mhz can get within 120gflops of Scorpio 6TF,just to give you an example the PS4 has 500+ Gflops on the xbox one,so sony arriving at 5.5 TF with speed of 1200 would be in the same gap the xbox one is now vs the PS4.

Another thing you lemmings don't get is that the RX480 not only can pass 6TF OC,but is freaking $200 next month,by holiday 2017 it would be like $130 and basically you would get 6TF like the xbox,i think MS is not being straight forward i think they are lying and probably have something stronger because it just doesn't make sense,to wait 1 year to have 6TF when next month a GPU with that power come out for $199.

@commander said:

In what losing badly.? The PS3,360,xbox,GC,N64 all loss with more power than the market leader on their respective gens.

@kuu2 said:

MSoft brought a cannon to e3 and Sony brought a fly swatter.

Sony destroyed all MS conference with just God of war...lol

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#85  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

All this butthurt... Over a console?

Sony came with the rumor of a more powerful console, MS reacted. Fanboys are dissapointed now.

I don't see why it would hurt peeps, Scorpio is meant for the people that want a cheap great gaming platform.

Yes it will dominate in the "console" market in terms of power. It won't sell ass much as the PS4 tough. On the other hand I think this will be a console that will sell great in the long term. Just like the PS3 did. The price will lower every year and people will be tired of having the inferior PS version of their beloved multiplats.

Ohw yes, it will turn the tide in the console wars.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By commander

@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@naughtyottsel22 said:

So yeah power is a major factor, it always is. I suppose you never heard of the bit wars otherwise you would make uninformed statements like this.

The Saturn was a more powerful system than the PlayStation in both 2D and 3D, however it was much harder to develop for given its two GPU's, it was also more technologically advanced in its rendering abilities.

The PlayStation couldn't render half-transparent casting shadows nor could it render flat/correct texture mapping which was symetrical on Saturn, it could only do affine texture mapping which made textures appear bent.

that's why I said that the saturn was not build from the ground up for 3d, they added that second gpu for 3d later on.

So it may have been better on paper but that's useless if devs can't use it. If I recall correctly they used similar hardware as in their arcade machines. That works great if you're building one game, but that's not how the console business works.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6852 Posts

Definitely impressed w/ the specs, nice move, MS. However, I doubt this will have much sway over hardware sales. Price and games are tantamount to appealing to the larger crowd, this is something I feel Ms is not focusing enough attention on.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#88 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

So, we are getting info that the new more powerful Xbox Scorpio will in fact have no advantage (frame rate) over the old One.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/06/14/there-wouldnt-be-a-frame-rate-difference-between-xbox-one-and-scorpio-says-microsofts-shannon-lofits.aspx

What a total waste of HW, time and money.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@spartanx169x said:

@raugutcon:

@raugutcon said: