Will Microsoft try to copy Playstation Now

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

With Gamestop trying to get in contract with Playstation Now, along with their stock falling since it's announcement.

Playstation Now seems to gaining immense hype.

Dubbed "the next big thing in gaming"

It's likely Microsoft will try to follow suit.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/8/5288566/report-sony-now-future-of-gamin

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

404 link

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

What's gonna be on Microsoft Now? A few Halos, Gears, and Forza games?

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

They will release something similar, but to say copying would be inaccurate. They have been working on this for a long time.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4774418/microsoft-demonstrates-halo-4-streaming-from-the-cloud-to-windows-and

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Their first party is so limp-dick, there's really not enough carrot on the stick to make it compelling when compared to Playstation Now. It will be a painfully inadequate "me-too" service if they even try.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Jacobistheman said:

They will release something similar, but to say copying would be inaccurate. They have been working on this for a long time.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4774418/microsoft-demonstrates-halo-4-streaming-from-the-cloud-to-windows-and

Bingo

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I'm sure MS have something very similar in mind. Maybe's it's copying, maybe not. Which isn't bad. If no one ever copied anyone we'd still be sitting in caves without wonderful inventions like shelves or deodorant or fridges or ferris wheels or cheese graters.

Gifye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gifye
Member since 2012 • 175 Posts
@BlessedChill said:

This is such rubbish. The xbox one is the biggest thing in gaming right now. It's at least half the size of your living room

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Onlive ... er i mean P-snow will not be that great in that there will be input lag, and who wants to rebuy all those games they once bought already?

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

@BlessedChill said:

With Gamestop trying to get in contract with Playstation Now, along with their stock falling since it's announcement.

Microsoft has been running SAS applications for many years. I'm sure they have been working on this even before Sony purchased Gakia (sp). Its no secret that streaming is going to be a big business. The company that can present itself as the Netflix of gaming will reap the rewards.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Of course they will.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I've seen a lot of negative reactions towards PS Now, many from Sony fans, so I'm not sure why you're saying its gaining immense hype.

I certainly hope MS does not copy them, PS Now is a horrible idea.....a few days ago i was not too sure....now I think its awful:

-potential input lag....yuck, I'll just play the original version on the 360 thanks

-built in DRM......we know how popular that is

-monthly fee on top of regular subscription no thanks

-possibility of new graphical gliches and artifacts that were not there before in original version

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shewgenja

@Alucard_Prime said:

I've seen a lot of negative reactions towards PS Now, many from Sony fans, so I'm not sure why you're saying its gaining immense hype.

I certainly hope MS does not copy them, PS Now is a horrible idea.....a few days ago i was not too sure....now I think its awful:

-potential input lag....yuck, I'll just play the original version on the 360 thanks

-possibility of new graphical gliches and artifacts that were not there before in original version

How do you feel about the input latency on Kinect?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alucard_Prime

@Shewgenja said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

Way to go off-topic, where do you see in the OP the word Kinect? I don't use Kinect to control my character in Dead Rising 3, or for controlling my car in Forza 5, or my character in Killer Instinct, and I would never want to - it's used to complement and enhance the controller-based gaming experience, not replace it. As for the Kinect-only games...you move your arm, same happens on screen, in real time, there is not noticeable input lag, but I rarely play those games anyways, they don't really interest me.

Back on topic - my main point was that playing games hosted on a cloud will always be the lesser experience compared to playing the game locally on your machine. If you like it, that's fine, I'm not here to blast your opinion, but I've read a lot of negative opinions on this, many from Sony fans, and I'm simply stating mine and what MS should do about it. I really hope they don't copy Sony, and I don't think they will because they previously said that if you want to play 360 games, just use the 360...many people didn't like that response, but I think it is fair in hindsight. Next Gen should just be about Next Gen.

If I wanna play Red Dead Redemption next year, I'll take out my 360 and play it. I will certainly not want to play it on a subscription-based rental service, that could potentially introduce things that were not there in the original version....if I play an oldie, it needs to be identical, if not better than the original, but that's me - to each his own.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shewgenja

Lem Meltdown Continuation

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@BlessedChill said:

No Microsoft has made it painfully obvious they're in the Television box business not the gaming. Playstation Nowhypes seems to be coming from playstation, I don't see it becoming that popular since it will just work as a trial to see if you want to buy the game and we have those now for free they're called Demos and that's pretty much what you'll be paying for Demos.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Wait. You want to criticize MS IF they copy? What about all the thing Sony has copied off of MS?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

after having onlive my left eye begins to twitch as soon as i hear the words "streaming service".

onlive never worked correctly even after years of updates and fixes and now sony is going to do the same shyt?

no thanks.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@Shewgenja said:

Lem Meltdown Continuation

Words of wisdom right there, how can I become as intelligent as you? What's your secret?

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: dat butthurt

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

If Sony can pull it off, it will be a game changer. In terms of Microsoft following suit? I honestly don't know if their first party titles warrant any demand for it. I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying that they aren't as critically acclaimed or numerous as Sony's PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Who want back catalog of old Microsoft games? Don't see much of market for that. Any one that wants to play Halo has already done that.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

If it is successful, of course they will, but I hope not. The idea of streaming games disgusts me and I really don't want that to be the future of gaming.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Gears of Forza 5: In Halo's we trust.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

@Shewgenja said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

Way to go off-topic, where do you see in the OP the word Kinect? I don't use Kinect to control my character in Dead Rising 3, or for controlling my car in Forza 5, or my character in Killer Instinct, and I would never want to - it's used to complement and enhance the controller-based gaming experience, not replace it. As for the Kinect-only games...you move your arm, same happens on screen, in real time, there is not noticeable input lag, but I rarely play those games anyways, they don't really interest me.

Back on topic - my main point was that playing games hosted on a cloud will always be the lesser experience compared to playing the game locally on your machine. If you like it, that's fine, I'm not here to blast your opinion, but I've read a lot of negative opinions on this, many from Sony fans, and I'm simply stating mine and what MS should do about it. I really hope they don't copy Sony, and I don't think they will because they previously said that if you want to play 360 games, just use the 360...many people didn't like that response, but I think it is fair in hindsight. Next Gen should just be about Next Gen.

If I wanna play Red Dead Redemption next year, I'll take out my 360 and play it. I will certainly not want to play it on a subscription-based rental service, that could potentially introduce things that were not there in the original version....if I play an oldie, it needs to be identical, if not better than the original, but that's me - to each his own.

Good luck using your 360 to play any PSone, PS2 or PS3 masterpieces...oh I forgot you don't like those.

Microsoft couldn't make a similar service because their exclusive catalog is garbage outside Halo and Gears.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Probably not. MS likes to innovate, not follow like Sony does.

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

Microsoft has been working on something similar for some time now. The funny thing is if MS had announced it first the gaming community would be bitching up a storm and acting like M$ was going to ruin gaming as we know it. But scene people seem happy to bend over and take anything Sony says with out question plus at the same time acting like it's the best thing since sliced bread it's probably a good thing MS is being somewhat quiet about similar plans at the moment.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

If PSNow is successful.. why would it be a "bad thing" if M$ follows suit?

Now the M$ is on their 3rd console.. they have 2 generations of titles to stream. While not nearly as vast as Sony's camp.. it'll still be pretty neat to re-play some of those gems.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Yeah , back to original Xbox era

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AzatiS
@mems_1224 said:

Sony is one of the most innovating companies on earth , when it comes to audio, video and more .. Wth you talking about .. Go read before you talk nonsense.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Yeah , back to original Xbox era

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224

@AzatiS said:
@mems_1224 said:

Sony is one of the most innovating companies on earth , when it comes to audio, video and more .. Wth you talking about .. Go read before you talk nonsense.

Ball don't lie. Sony has only copied MS and Nintendo since they launched the POS3.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12322 Posts

Probably will. It's a brilliant idea.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzatiS

@mems_1224 said:

@AzatiS said:
@mems_1224 said:

Ball don't lie. Sony has only copied MS and Nintendo since they launched the POS3.

.... I can prove you wrong in more way than you can imagine ... Ok lets start . Why Xbox one having a Blu-ray drive ? Is M$ a Sonys copycat ? Isnt Blu-ray Sonys innovation to begin with? Explain

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

they all copy one another..thats business..so what

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Depends on how you want to think of it but it's been a while now that MS is planning similar as stated above.

It's in one of their ugly roadmap leaks.

NV has been pushing similar for a while but more in beta/concept.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mems_1224

@AzatiS said:

@mems_1224 said:

@AzatiS said:
@mems_1224 said:

.... I can prove you wrong in more way than you can imagine ... Ok lets start . Why Xbox one having a Blu-ray drive ? Is M$ a Sonys copycat ? Isnt Blu-ray Sonys innovation to begin with? Explain

Blu Ray? That it? What else you got noob? inb4eyetoy

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

@Shewgenja said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

Good luck using your 360 to play any PSone, PS2 or PS3 masterpieces...oh I forgot you don't like those.

Microsoft couldn't make a similar service because their exclusive catalog is garbage outside Halo and Gears.

Dude, you missed my point completely - I'm using the 360 as an example, because that's the system I had last gen, and because the OP is asking if MS is going to copy Sony.

I love my PS1 and PS2, and I still have most of my games. If I ever feel like playing an old PS game or some of the nice PS3 games I missed, I'll just buy the slim console and play the game like that. Playing those games on PS NOW is not something I would think of doing, the idea of a game streaming service, whether from Microsoft or Sony, does not sit well with me. Did you see anywhere in my post that I hated Playstation games? Relax, I'm not insulting your precious Playstation.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They've got the cloud infrastructure for it.

Microsoft doesn't seem to be taking many risks this gen, so I'm going to bet no.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

HaloGearsFroza Now!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

They will try.. but I'm not sure if they have a big enough catalog.. so they will likely release older games as free downloads as part of MS live... then again... no they wouldn't do that.... but yeah, they will copy it in some way, shape, or form.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shewgenja

@mems_1224 said:

Home Menu Button. It was on the PSP before the 360.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Onlive failed. Onlive renamed Gakai was delayed for reasons. Its now called Playstation Now. We shall see, Sony always over hype and over promise things and downgrades.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Just like being online... lems will pretend they did it first.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mems_1224

@Shewgenja said:

@mems_1224 said:

so small things? thats all you losers got? its not like ms copied industry changing things like party chat and achievements

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shewgenja

@mems_1224 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@mems_1224 said:

so small things? thats all you losers got? its not like ms copied industry changing things like party chat and achievements

Don't be a twat. "Party chat" was on PC long before there was ever an XBox. Kudos on the achievement thing, though. You finally got one right.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Put the brakes on and wait till the price packages are revealed. If the packages are reasonable then it will be a success. I'm guessing they need a yearly subscription with unlimited streaming at $30 (main tier), then have your lesser plans with limited streaming. Finally, I think we know what will happen. Playstation now will start off rough and have issues. Microsoft will watch and then release a service that will one up playstation now.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I'd hope MS can copy this service, along with Sony set the bar really high for future gaming consoles. But lets be fair about it, both would be copying OnLive. Hopefully it doesn't require purchase of games and instead works like a rental service. I had a Zune for a bit, you had access to all the songs in their library for rental on the Zune service, but users were also given credit for any 10 songs a month to download for keeps... maybe the rental service can work like that, have a separate library of titles set aside for the rental service, then a certain amount of credits to retain future access to certain games on the account. Also, if a song was available on Zune online and then got pulled, if one downloaded it while it was being offered they had rights to it from then on, kind of how like PS+ works that if you have the service while games are offered you can download them again in future and their a part of the accounts library. With a model like that, and the ability to pick other games to retain, I think it can be a great service. And 5 megabits/sec isn't much, just hope there's not much of a ping between users and the servers.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mems_1224

@Shewgenja said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@mems_1224 said:

Don't be a twat. "Party chat" was on PC long before there was ever an XBox. Kudos on the achievement thing, though. You finally got one right.

PC and consoles are two completely different things. Try again loser.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shewgenja

@mems_1224 said:

PC and consoles are two completely different things. Try again loser.

Look at this, ladies and gentlemen.. This guy here is going to come charging into System Wars waving the Microsoft banner then say some shit like this. Enjoy your Windows 8-based TV remote bro. Good luck with all of that noise LOL

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

Microsoft wont follow sony because Microsoft have no games worth revisiting,

ill wait on yall responses,

but be real, because most ms games in the xbox library are multiplats and sequels,

someone surprise me with great hidden gems that cant be found on other systems,

from og to 360......