Will GT Sport sell as good as past Gran Turismo games I don't see much hype for it here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I'm not into racers I prefer massive car damage and realistic physic's if you knock into another car your car should be completely wrecked and to me these "realism" racers are like bumper cars totally unrealistic to me.

Anyway will this game sell good or not or is this the gen where racers kinda die down a bit?

To me I mean these racers have to evolve and allow more damage to the car's and like maybe police chasing you or the military they need to add something more.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

not a chance gran turismo is done and dusted

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@ProtossRushX: You should try Wreckfest and Beam.NGdrive on PC if you want big wrecks and crazy physics. As for GT Sport.... I don't think it will do that well. GT6 did poorly. I think people have moved on to other, better racing games. Gran Turismo no longer has the appeal that it once did.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Sadly if it survives any launch controversy it may end up selling better then Forza 7 and Project Cars 2. If the reviews are just decent and not crap it could sell. The whole project looks like if it wasn't GT and FIA sony would have cancelled the thing by now. The game hasn't even gone gold yet and sony is not really pushing it. Delay is coming perhaps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

People who buy GT arent the same as those who dwelve on internet forums. I personaly know a lot of people who buy GT religiously and dont give two fucks about gaming in general.

Its basically like what happens with yearly sports games titles i.e. you dont see people hyping the next FIFA or Madden on forums and yet they still sell more then 90% of those games that get hyped every year

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

Racers are cinematic movie walking simulator games that simply walk faster round and round.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Europe says yes, yes it will.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

It should sell 5+ million in the end like GT6 did. A lot of people will just assume that it's a bomb because all they pay attention to is north amurica (npd)

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Europe will give it 3 million for sure.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

It will outsell Forza

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@BassMan said:

@ProtossRushX: You should try Wreckfest and Beam.NGdrive on PC if you want big wrecks and crazy physics. As for GT Sport.... I don't think it will do that well. GT6 did poorly. I think people have moved on to other, better racing games. Gran Turismo no longer has the appeal that it once did.

People keep saying this for every GT, but even the "poor" sales of GT6 amounted to over 5 million. Sure, it's down from GT5, but it also launched for the PS3 after the PS4 had released. And where are the fans going if they're going to other racers? Project CARS only got to 2 million on 3 platforms, Assetto Corsa got to 1.4 million on 3 platforms, and the last I heard, Forza 6 crossed 1 million and Forza 5 reached 2 million. All good sales, but not in the range of the main GT series.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Europe says yes, yes it will.

This.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Nah, cows all have supah top tier PC's or haven't you heard? So of course they'll get the, by a super wide margin, the much superior FM7. Just sayin. :P

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ant_17

@SecretPolice said:

Nah, cows all have supah top tier PC's or haven't you heard? So of course they'll get the, by a super wide margin, the much superior FM7. Just sayin. :P

Honestly, i kinda wish Forza just drops Motorsport and just does Horizon.

We are flooded with sim racers i'm bored of them. I'm more hyped for the Crew 2 than Pcars or F7.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@BassMan said:

GT6 did poorly.

Damn, if over 5 million units on one dying platform (PS3) is "doing poorly" than I bet most developers would love to do "poorly". GT6, even "doing poorly" still sold more than any other racing game on the planet (well, one thats not called Mario Kart)

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

LOL it will sell 5-6 million. It is a powerhouse, and it will be the definitive racer.

This thread should be about Forza on the flopbox, no cares about that console

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I'm guessing it'll sell better than any other racing game this gen. It's a well known name, and VR support should help a bit.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

It should outsell GT6 (5.17 million), but is unlikely to each GT1-5 numbers.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I imagine it will sell well regardless, even if the game is utterly mediocre.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Even with no marketing whatsoever, GT6 still managed 5.1 million copies sold.

If Sony makes a commercial for it this time: 10 million easy.

If Sony remains silent like for GT6: 5 million.

Still better sales than any Forza game.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

They over promise and always deliver an incomplete package

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

If it doesn't, I hope Sony lets Polyphony make a sequel to Omega Boost.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@2mrw: GT 1-4 say otherwise.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Personally I think arcade racer's are just flat out more fun to play and easier to get into. I think The Crew 2 looks like a blast and I bet it beats the socks off all the sim racers.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

I hope it sells great. That'll keep Polyphony motivated. All I know is, FM7 on XBoneX and GT Sport on the PS4 Pro both gonna look outstanding on my UN65JS9000... but I'm most excited to play GT Sport on PSVR :)

TuMekeNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TuMekeNZ
Member since 2016 • 149 Posts

GT Sport is an interesting prospect as its going in a different direction from F7 and PCars 2.

I'm definitely picking up F7 at launch as well as GT Sport but if I'm honest I am more interested in GT Sport because it is attempting something new.

I won't be surprised if F7 is the higher rated game as it is bringing an extremely robust package, but after playing the demo I was not hyped or excited... I just felt I had played another good Forza game.

I guess we'll find out soon enough with both launching over the next few weeks.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

There isnt a lot of hype because the game is never coming out.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@SecretPolice said:

We are flooded with sim racers i'm bored of them. I'm more hyped for the Crew 2 than Pcars or F7.

Fu** no! I love my Forza Motorsport games.

Smiddy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Smiddy23
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Fu** no! I love my Forza Motorsport games.

Have to agree with this sentiment. I like Horizon but for me 3 was a backward step from 2 (and I live in Australia :| ) and please dont get me started on The Crew. Had to be the most dud game I've played on latest gen.... I look forward to FM every 2 years. Yes its a 'sim' but its light enough I can pick up and play anytime and adjust based on how much effort I'm prepared to put in at the time.

Smiddy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Smiddy23
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

But on topic, I was so excited for GT... GT2 was the reason I saved every penny as a kid for a PS, GT3 was the reason I saved even more and traded my beloved PS1 for the PS2, but lately I feel the doubt creeping in... Am considering cancelling my pre-order and waiting to see what the fallout of launch brings....

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

It looks shit. So instead of selling incredibly, it will just sell very well

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@asylumni said:
@BassMan said:

People keep saying this for every GT, but even the "poor" sales of GT6 amounted to over 5 million. Sure, it's down from GT5, but it also launched for the PS3 after the PS4 had released. And where are the fans going if they're going to other racers? Project CARS only got to 2 million on 3 platforms, Assetto Corsa got to 1.4 million on 3 platforms, and the last I heard, Forza 6 crossed 1 million and Forza 5 reached 2 million. All good sales, but not in the range of the main GT series.

But GT Sport isn't one of the main GT entries. Perhaps it may not have the content or direction the usual buyers want, or perhaps it'll sell on the basis of being the first in a long time and being on Sony's current gen console, who knows. But so far it sounds like it's for a specific hardcore competitive racer fan, so I do wonder about how wide it's appeal will be.

Still, it's nothing wasted, all the effort going into the tracks and cars means less work for GT7, because they can just port what they have so far.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@tumekenz said:

GT Sport is an interesting prospect as its going in a different direction from F7 and PCars 2.

I'm definitely picking up F7 at launch as well as GT Sport but if I'm honest I am more interested in GT Sport because it is attempting something new.

I won't be surprised if F7 is the higher rated game as it is bringing an extremely robust package, but after playing the demo I was not hyped or excited... I just felt I had played another good Forza game.

I guess we'll find out soon enough with both launching over the next few weeks.

I agree in that MS don't need to release a bi-yearly FM game. I'm grateful because I ditched the Xbone and I'm now able to get this for the PC.

However, there's more than enough content in ANY FM game that it can last someone 4 years. After getting rid of my Xbone, I started over with FM 4, but there's so much content and so much to do that I still wasn't bored.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@asylumni said:
@BassMan said:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/13/14599082/forza-horizon-3-sales

Around Feb 13, 2017, Forza H3 (2016) reached 2.5 million units. For XBO's date range, Forza series reached ~6.84 million units.

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

Forza M6 (2015). 1.04m**.

Forza H3 (2016). 2.5m, Forza M6 Apex was release after Jan 2016.

**NPD only tracks new games sold at retailers and doesn’t account for digital purchases.

For this year

Forza M7 (2017) and Forza H3 4K remaster.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@smiddy23: Yep agreed.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 asylumni

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@asylumni said:

But GT Sport isn't one of the main GT entries. Perhaps it may not have the content or direction the usual buyers want, or perhaps it'll sell on the basis of being the first in a long time and being on Sony's current gen console, who knows. But so far it sounds like it's for a specific hardcore competitive racer fan, so I do wonder about how wide it's appeal will be.

Still, it's nothing wasted, all the effort going into the tracks and cars means less work for GT7, because they can just port what they have so far.

While it may have been a bit thin on content when initially announced, it seems to have grown to have much more content, closer to a numbered release than a prologue edition. Combined with the fact that it's the first release on the PS4, I think it'll sell as a main series release, particularly with the FIA license, even without having a number in its name.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

Europe will give it 3 million for sure.

Indeed. GT is KING across the ol' pond.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 asylumni

@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:

Around Feb 13, 2017, Forza H3 (2016) reached 2.5 million units. For XBO's date range, Forza series reached ~7.74 million units.

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

**NPD only tracks new games sold at retailers and doesn’t account for digital purchases.

For this year

Yep, those are numbers (of unknown origin). Is there some kind of point you were attempting to make?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ant_17
@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:
@BassMan said:

Around Feb 13, 2017, Forza H3 (2016) reached 2.5 million units. For XBO's date range, Forza series reached ~7.74 million units.

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

For this year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_3:_A-Spec#Reception

As of April 30, 2008, the game has shipped 1.89 million copies in Japan, 7.14 million in North America, 5.85 million in Europe, and 10,000 in Southeast Asia, for a total of 14.89 million copies.[1][2] It is the highest-selling game in the Gran Turismo franchise. It is a part of the PlayStation 2's Greatest Hits. It ranked fifteenth in the list of best-selling unbundled console games of all time, just below Wii Fit Plus.[27]

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ronvalencia

@Ant_17 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:
@BassMan said:

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

For this year

As of April 30, 2008, the game has shipped 1.89 million copies in Japan, 7.14 million in North America, 5.85 million in Europe, and 10,000 in Southeast Asia, for a total of 14.89 million copies.[1][2] It is the highest-selling game in the Gran Turismo franchise. It is a part of the PlayStation 2's Greatest Hits. It ranked fifteenth in the list of best-selling unbundled console games of all time, just below Wii Fit Plus.[27]

That's outside of XBO/PS4 era which is from November 2013 to current year. My numbers are for XBO/PS4 generation.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ronvalencia

@asylumni said:
@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

For this year

Yep, those are numbers (of unknown origin). Is there some kind of point you were attempting to make?

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1 million number from https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-motorsport-6-sells-over-1-million-copies-2/

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2 million number from https://segmentnext.com/2016/01/08/xbox-one-vs-ps4-comparing-exclusives-that-have-sold-over-1-million-copies-so-far/

Forza M6 (2015). 1.04 million number from https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-motorsport-6-sells-over-1-million-copies-2/

Forza H3 (2016). 2.5 million number from https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/13/14599082/forza-horizon-3-sales

Does PS4 play GT6?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

The last GT i enjoyed was 4. Even though it was just a polished 3, I still played a shit ton on it.

GT5 I just grinded through cause i was bored. I've kinda lost interest in most racing games tho.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ant_17

@ronvalencia said:
@Ant_17 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

For this year

That's outside of XBO/PS4 era which is from November 2013 to current year. My numbers are for XBO/PS4 generation.

And?

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By asylumni

@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:
@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1 million number from https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-motorsport-6-sells-over-1-million-copies-2/

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2 million number from https://segmentnext.com/2016/01/08/xbox-one-vs-ps4-comparing-exclusives-that-have-sold-over-1-million-copies-so-far/

Forza M6 (2015). 1.04 million number from https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-motorsport-6-sells-over-1-million-copies-2/

Forza H3 (2016). 2.5 million number from https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/13/14599082/forza-horizon-3-sales

Does PS4 play GT6?

OK, nice, sources. So what? I posted some of those numbers myself initially. What is your point? Why are you posting this?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Well its going to take advantage of the PS4 Pro. Along with VR support. And there's really not anything to note on PS4 that comes close to what GT Sport should deliver. Sales should be strong as usual. And I'll be picking it up at some point.

Its not a main entry into the series last I checked. So were looking at least 5 million life time sales. But likely under 10 million. Unless the PS4 strong momentum and VR success, changes those historic trends.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ronvalencia

@asylumni said:
@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:
@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:

Does PS4 play GT6?

OK, nice, sources. So what? I posted some of those numbers myself initially. What is your point? Why are you posting this?

You omitted Forza's numbers. Forza series is running on current hardware generation while PS4 doesn't have GT.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ronvalencia

@Ant_17 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Ant_17 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

For this year

And?

FH2 runs on XBO (current gen hardware) while PS4 has zero GT.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

LOL it will sell 5-6 million. It is a powerhouse, and it will be the definitive racer.

This thread should be about Forza on the flopbox, no cares about that console

Comes into a GT thread to tell us no one cares about XB1, yeah you care, and it's funny that the Xbox is living rent free in your mind lol.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 asylumni

@ronvalencia said:
@asylumni said:
@ronvalencia said:

Does PS4 play GT6?

You omitted Forza's numbers. Forza series is running on current hardware generation while PS4 doesn't have GT.

I included FM 5 and FM 6 numbers, the direct competitors to GT. I didn't include arcade racers like Forza Horizon, Need for Speed nor others like Mario Kart and Wreckfest since they're a different sub-genre and not in direct competition. Anyways, my point is still valid that saying the 5-10 million people that bought GT have moved on to other racers doesn't make much sense since the competitors aren't putting up near GT's numbers.

Why does it matter that the PS4 doesn't have a GT release (it is getting one and it's not a secret)?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ant_17

@ronvalencia said:
@Ant_17 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Ant_17 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Forza M5 (2013). 2.1m**

Forza H2 (2014). 1.2m**

For this year

And?

FH2 runs on XBO (current gen hardware) while PS4 has zero GT.

And it has the least sales for being on 2 consoles.

And wow, 7 million for a yearly game series, bravo. You know GT will do half of that in the 1st week with just Europe?