Wii U looks like a handheld system instead of a new home console.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Carcrafter7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Carcrafter7
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Just saying.

moderator's edit

Hi all, this is now going to be the OFFICIAL discussion of Wii U. And just to clarify, this is a NEW system. The "New Controller" as Nintendo was emphasising, is still like any console controller, connected to a box that houses the new CPU/GPU which actually runs the games, and connects to a TV which i in the traditional method. The visuals can just be shared between the TV and the controller. It's not a portable device you can take on the go, even though that's what it looks like.

Hope that cleas it up and KEEP IT ALL HERE :):)

AdobeArtist

*** never mind, somebody beat me to it.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

The thing is huuuuuuuuge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Despite them calling it a console hundreds of times? They just showed the controller, I'm sure they'll show the console later. It probably is going to look a lot like the WII
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
i dont know what to say about the wii u i really wanted to see the new next gen home console :S
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
The great thing about the Wii U is that it can be both. I haven't been this thrilled about a console ever in my life, and I've been around since the first ones were released...
StarkJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StarkJJ
Member since 2004 • 534 Posts

I think you could see the console in the background of the vid when they were playin it. It was white. Looked a bit like the 360.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
i dont know what to say about the wii u i really wanted to see the new next gen home console :S the-obiwan
We just saw it. Those graphics were not from Wii.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

i dont know what to say about the wii u i really wanted to see the new next gen home console :S the-obiwan

If that wasn't next gen then I don't know what is.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

Despite them calling it a console hundreds of times? They just showed the controller, I'm sure they'll show the console later. It probably is going to look a lot like the WIINuck81

its not even moblie

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Just saying.

Carcrafter7
Looked like a new controller to me, just saying.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the-obiwan

[QUOTE="the-obiwan"]i dont know what to say about the wii u i really wanted to see the new next gen home console :S Zophar87

so would you say that Wii u is better than xbox 360 and ps3? what if x360 or ps3 were portable then? which would it be better?
Carcrafter7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Carcrafter7
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Sorry guys I was a little behind on watching the press conference. Thank you to the guy who put up what the console looks like.

MacGyver2188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MacGyver2188
Member since 2011 • 105 Posts
All they had to do was make a console that was more powerful than the ps3 and 360, they already have a handheld, it doesnt need a screen or controls. Missed opportunity IMO
hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts
[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="the-obiwan"]i dont know what to say about the wii u i really wanted to see the new next gen home console :S the-obiwan

so would you say that Wii u is better than xbox 360 and ps3? what if x360 or ps3 were portable then? which would it be better?

What if the Wii U was a super computer? =O
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the-obiwan
All they had to do was make a console that was more powerful than the ps3 and 360, they already have a handheld, it doesnt need a screen or controls. Missed opportunity IMOMacGyver2188
this ! is what im looking from nintendo and they havent really done it yet, sure make it handheld if they want but do that!
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dotWithShoes
All they had to do was make a console that was more powerful than the ps3 and 360, they already have a handheld, it doesnt need a screen or controls. Missed opportunity IMOMacGyver2188
So the fact that they said its NOT a handheld system means nothing to you?
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the-obiwan

[QUOTE="the-obiwan"][QUOTE="Zophar87"]

hensothor

What if the Wii U was a super computer? =O

i only wish you were right lulz

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

That really doesn't look comfortable to play core games on...

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the-obiwan
[QUOTE="MacGyver2188"]All they had to do was make a console that was more powerful than the ps3 and 360, they already have a handheld, it doesnt need a screen or controls. Missed opportunity IMOdotWithShoes

we got that is not a ds system but its neither a core system atleats it doesnt give me that vision
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
The Kids in this thread without basic comprehension skills is simply mindblowing. I am in awe of the goobers that just have to have it spelled out for them, and when it is, they still don't get it....
BlancoBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlancoBX
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

I wonder if the ps3/vita combo can do something similiar to the things shown in the video...

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="the-obiwan"]i dont know what to say about the wii u i really wanted to see the new next gen home console :S the-obiwan

I won't be able to judge an opinion until I see it in action.. And frankly you shouldn't either.

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the-obiwan

[QUOTE="the-obiwan"][QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Zophar87

I won't be able to judge an opinion until I see it in action.. And frankly you shouldn't either.

true enough i guess we gonna have to wait and see right?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Despite them calling it a console hundreds of times? They just showed the controller, I'm sure they'll show the console later. It probably is going to look a lot like the WII

They didn't really call it a console hundreds of times. They mostly referred to Wii-U as a controller. :P I kept flip flopping going is this a new controller or a new console?
sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts
So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.donalbane
it looked atleast on par with ps3/360.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
[QUOTE="Nuck81"]The Kids in this thread without basic comprehension skills is simply mindblowing. I am in awe of the goobers that just have to have it spelled out for them, and when it is, they still don't get it....

Yeah I don't get it either. Has Call of Duty rotted the minds of the gamers this much? They showcased the controller for the new console........ And there are pictures of the new console........
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zophar87

So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.donalbane

Uh, did we watch the same press conference? It looks on par with the PS3, if not more powerful in that tech demo.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

No games were shown from the console... Trailers were from the 360/ps3 showing's.

And to help stop confusion. They do have a console, they just focused on the controller. Like the Wii in 05/06.

Playerpat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Playerpat0
Member since 2004 • 1698 Posts
Agreed. What was that? Everyone saying Nintendo wins? Great you get Batman, Battlefield, and all those third party titles a year later... have fun. If it was more powerful they would have said so.
Golden_Boy187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Golden_Boy187
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

how much would these controllers cost if more the 60 bucks thats a fail. 2nd that controller makes the first xbox one seem normal

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I'm not really sure what to think of Nintendo hardware this upcoming generation. Do I buy the portable with overpriced hardware, or do I buy the (somewhat gimmicky) home/portable console that gets ports of 360 and PS3 games I can already play?

What's my incentive to buy both a 3DS and a WiiU? How much portability does Nintendo think I need in my life? Maybe even they're realizing most people probably won't buy both, since the two games they announced today were both cross-compatible with both 3DS and WiiU.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dotWithShoes
They mentioned anything about the power of the system? I guess my g4 blanked out on me when they said that part.. And yes, they did show the console itself during the intro video of the guy playing Mario. Kinda surprised me when they showed it, but they did say that the CONSOLE streams its data to the new controller with no latency issues.
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Despite them calling it a console hundreds of times? They just showed the controller, I'm sure they'll show the console later. It probably is going to look a lot like the WIINuck81

In there opinion I doubt the console is important, Nintendo wants to focus on innovations and ideas rather than hardware and specs. From their point of view those things are tools, a means to and ends I guess.

MacGyver2188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MacGyver2188
Member since 2011 • 105 Posts
[QUOTE="MacGyver2188"]All they had to do was make a console that was more powerful than the ps3 and 360, they already have a handheld, it doesnt need a screen or controls. Missed opportunity IMOdotWithShoes

Take the extra cost of that huge pad thing, add extra power to console, have decent 3rd party support and as always awesome first party. Win console war, but no
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="donalbane"]So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.Zophar87

Uh, did we watch the same press conference? It looks on par with the PS3, if not more powerful in that tech demo.

Couldn't the tech demo have just been pre-rendered for all we knew?

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dotWithShoes

[QUOTE="donalbane"]So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.mexicangordo

No games were shown from the console... Trailers were from the 360/ps3 showing's.

And to help stop confusion. They do have a console, they just focused on the controller. Like the Wii in 05/06.

That Tekken wasn't ps3/360 I don't think.. Could you customize your character on Tekken 6 like that? Never played it so I'm not sure.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
As
[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Processing power has never directly defined a console generation.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dotWithShoes
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="MacGyver2188"]All they had to do was make a console that was more powerful than the ps3 and 360, they already have a handheld, it doesnt need a screen or controls. Missed opportunity IMOMacGyver2188

Take the extra cost of that huge pad thing, add extra power to console, have decent 3rd party support and as always awesome first party. Win console war, but no

They announced that EA was backing them pretty big.. Along with a good many other 3rd parties(including 2k) supporting the console. How much better can you get with 3rd party?
Playerpat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Playerpat0
Member since 2004 • 1698 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"]So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.dotWithShoes

That Tekken wasn't ps3/360 I don't think.. Could you customize your character on Tekken 6 like that? Never played it so I'm not sure.

\

That Tekken demo looked flat and boring. The other games looked great but the EA president even said games like Battlefield not it is coming for sure. IDK this thing should have come out a year or two ago. I smell PS4 and the next xbox destroying this in a year.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"]So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.SakusEnvoy

That would defeat the purpose of a tech demo.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"]So disapointed that the power of the console is apparently not as powerful as the PS3 or 360.SakusEnvoy

It was just a target of the next systems capabilities.

Nintendo said it wasn't an actual game but just a target for what the games will look like.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

This is Nintendo we're talking about here.