Wii beats PS3 in Japan in January

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 books83
Member since 2005 • 3733 Posts

Yeah I know we saw this story coming from a mile away but I thought I would post it anyways. Enterbrain has posted the final numbers for January.

Wii- 405,000

PS3- 148,000

From the article

Nintendo has sold a total 1.4 million units of the Wii in Japan, far outpacing the 614,000 PS3 units sold, Enterbrain said.

"There could be a price cut for the PS3 by the end of the year, and more software titles will hit the market. I expect the PS3 to be doing better after a while," Enterbrain President Hirokazu Hamamura said.

"Of course, the Wii will keep running ahead all the while."

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2007-02-06T104232Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-286504-1.xml

So would any one like to take bets on a price cut by the end of the year? Or better yet do you want to guess what Sony is going to say during their next round of spin control?

coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts
I'm a sheep and I gotta say: "Big surprise?" Nintendo is owning with their warships the SSDS and USSWii.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 coreygames
It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.the-very-best
I think that has a small, but viable part of its sales. I think that a lot of its success comes from the positive popularity and celebrity endorsement.
bsin94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 bsin94
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts
I'm not surprised.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the-very-best
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.coreygames
I think that has a small, but viable part of its sales. I think that a lot of its success comes from the positive popularity and celebrity endorsement.

Add that to the cheap price and you have a sale.
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
Nintendo are the new champion of Japan. Sony got hit with a knockout punch in the first round and isn't going to recover.
chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chrismunx
Member since 2003 • 3964 Posts
That's great, but where are the freakin games already?
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

That's great, but where are the freakin games already?chrismunx

On Xbox 360.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
I'm actually surprised the Wii didn't outsell the PS3 by a million or more; it's good to know not all of japan has forgot about the system.
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 coreygames
[QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.the-very-best

What I'm saying is that some people are only saying that it is due to the price, which is understandable in some, but not all, cases. People are truely commercial people. I use to work at Taco Bell and people would buy whatever was posted on the windows that week. We could have put up the "poop (for censorship purposes) burrito", and people would have bought 4 at a time. People see O'Brien playing Wii and they think, "Wow, that looks like fun!" And then proceed to mindlessly walk like Zombies to get one, instead of looking up anything or doing homework. People are stupid. Good thing I'm an alie... nvm :(
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the-very-best
[QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.coreygames

What I'm saying is that some people are only saying that it is due to the price, which is understandable in some, but not all, cases. People are truely commercial people. I use to work at Taco Bell and people would buy whatever was posted on the windows that week. We could have put up the "poop (for censorship purposes) burrito", and people would have bought 4 at a time. People see O'Brien playing Wii and they think, "Wow, that looks like fun!" And then proceed to mindlessly walk like Zombies to get one, instead of looking up anything or doing homework. People are stupid. Good thing I'm an alie... nvm :(

Yeah I agree. Nintendo's done the right thing so far. What I'm saying is that even with positive hype and celebrity endorsement it wouldn't sell if it was extremely expensive.
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 coreygames
[QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.the-very-best

Yeah I agree. Nintendo's done the right thing so far. What I'm saying is that even with positive hype and celebrity endorsement it wouldn't sell if it was extremely expensive.

True, so very very true.
anamnawshad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 anamnawshad
Member since 2003 • 5067 Posts
Not surprised ;)
Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
Not surprised. Everyone who's not a Lemming loves the Wii :P
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 coreygames
Not surprised. Everyone who's not a Lemming loves the Wii :PDavis092
and cows?
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

This is predictable when you consider neither company can meet demand at the moment, things will be more interesting in a year or so when the shops are full of both systems and we can really see how big the demand is.

bc226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bc226
Member since 2004 • 93 Posts
How did the PS3 sell 148,000 in January when in the last 3 weeks it sold less then 70,000?

9th to the 15th 25,000+
16th to the 21st 21,000+
22nd to the 28th 19,996

So the first 1.5 weeks of January the machine sold almost 60,000+ units would like to see a weekly breakdown for that.
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
Duh?:?
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
Duh?:?
TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TNT_Slug
Member since 2007 • 1735 Posts
It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.the-very-best
I think it's also because the PS3 doesn't have games that are popular among the japanese yet.
ROLFCHANK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ROLFCHANK
Member since 2006 • 1085 Posts

This is predictable when you consider neither company can meet demand at the moment, things will be more interesting in a year or so when the shops are full of both systems and we can really see how big the demand is.

csliney
i dont know what the case is in japan, but you can find ps3s online and in stores in the us without too much trouble
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="csliney"]

ROLFCHANK
i dont know what the case is in japan, but you can find ps3s online and in stores in the us without too much trouble

I think it's pretty similar in Japan.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
[QUOTE="Jandurin"] I think it's pretty similar in Japan.

Actually it is even easier in Japan. PS3s are selling better in the US.
bc226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bc226
Member since 2004 • 93 Posts
Well if you go by what Sony themselves say they shipped 1 mill. units to Japan the second week of January and they say that they ship an average of 100,000 units per week so usinf Sonys own numbers that leaves roughly 400,000 to 600,000 units unsold in Japan. Also Sony only Sold 148,000 units in January total.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

That logic does not really work out though because the Gamecube was cheaper than the PS2 at launch but the PS2 still sold more.  The Wii is hitting the consumers with what they want, something new and original, the question will be if Nintendo can keep things feeling new as they did with the DS.

pcmxms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pcmxms
Member since 2003 • 1596 Posts
Were is the "wow factor"? Wii crashing PS3 on sales? Big deal...
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#28 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
Nintendo is the king of Japan!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Nintendo is the king of Japan!LosDaddie
They seriously are. With Sony's ridiculous price and lack of games, and the non-interest Japan has shown the 360... Nintendo could probably survive on Japan alone.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]Nintendo is the king of Japan!Jandurin
They seriously are. With Sony's ridiculous price and lack of games, and the non-interest Japan has shown the 360... Nintendo could probably survive on Japan alone.

Price is not that high ober there, lack of games I agree completely In fact sony is preparing a ps3 bundle with the new gundam game (I know it sucks, but they love it) The new some jrpgs too, but those require time to do great....That niche isn't exploded yet, but japanese are hungry of next gen jrpgs and the 360 failed (even with Blue Dragon)
Golden_surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Golden_surfer
Member since 2004 • 5749 Posts
I'm actually surprised the Wii didn't outsell the PS3 by a million or more; it's good to know not all of japan has forgot about the system.DementedDragon
They haven't produced a million more. That's the only reason as to why they didn't outsell ps3 by that margin. ;)
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StryderK
Member since 2006 • 3189 Posts

Nintendo are the new champion of Japan. Sony got hit with a knockout punch in the first round and isn't going to recover.Strakha

Well, it will recover. You can't count it out with games like MGS4 and the biggie, FFXIII. But by then, when the PS3 does recover, it will be so wobbly that it probably can't even see things stright because by then, the Wii will have already ran away with the show......PS3 gets up only to get pounded to the ground for sure this time when the Wii delivers 1, 2, 3 punch of Super Mario Galaxy, Pokemon and finally, the big blow, SSBB......

StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StryderK

I'm actually surprised the Wii didn't outsell the PS3 by a million or more; it's good to know not all of japan has forgot about the system.DementedDragon

Well, if Nintendo has 1million extra Wiis to spare for Japan, you can bet they would be long gone by now.

But the thing is, with demand around the world THIS high, Nintendo can work their workers to death producing all the Wiis possible and demand will probably still outstrip supply. If this keeps up for 3 more months, then the Wii will be neck n' neck with the X360 worldwide! Not bad for a console that many thought will be DOA on arrival at launch!

harry2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 harry2k5
Member since 2005 • 656 Posts
Duh?:?pins_basic

if thats you picture in your sig. you look so freaking ugly its hard to stomach. please take it down and hide yourself
StryderK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StryderK

[QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.the-very-best

Ahem, PS3......Sorry to drag this out and beat a dead horse again, but that price is really hurting Sony right now and the problem is, Sony can ill afford a price drop right now cause they are taking it through the nose with loses from the PS3.

KingOfJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KingOfJersey
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts
Well the "Wee Wee" is beating everything thing  into the ground right now consider yourself lucky if you happen to stumble on one before march, Ive been looking for 1 since launch and have yet to find one.
Iorning_board

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Iorning_board
Member since 2005 • 1853 Posts

[QUOTE="pins_basic"]Duh?:?harry2k5

if thats you picture in your sig. you look so freaking ugly its hard to stomach. please take it down and hide yourself

Holy Crap dude :lol: I lol'ed like never before, You sir win the internet...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="LosDaddie"]Nintendo is the king of Japan!Giancar

Price is not that high ober there, lack of games I agree completely In fact sony is preparing a ps3 bundle with the new gundam game (I know it sucks, but they love it) The new some jrpgs too, but those require time to do great....That niche isn't exploded yet, but japanese are hungry of next gen jrpgs and the 360 failed (even with Blue Dragon)

I meant ridiculous price here in the US (and soon in Europe), and lack of games in general.
kauliaris711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kauliaris711
Member since 2006 • 161 Posts
wii rocks..........!!!!........:D
Ericvon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ericvon71
Member since 2004 • 3219 Posts
Well it is cheaper it should outsell the PS3..................
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
[QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]It's no surprise that Wii sold more. It's the cheapest system out there. It will sell more for months to come. PS3 selling 600k ain't too bad.the-very-best

I think it is more the difference of gameplay and the quality of the motion sensing, but the price has to do with it too. Sony normally kills in Japan; wow, times sure change, huh?
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
I think worldwide the console war is going to be a toss-up, but the Wii is going to dominate Japan. I'm positive of that already. No need to wait it out or nothing. Nintendo's new strategy is working the best over there (cough DS cough)
Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Ouch

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Ouch

Did you actually bump a six year old thread to post that?

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Wow, tough times ahead for the PS3

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Looks like PS3 is going the way of the Dreamcast amirite?

And we all know MGS4 is going multiplat. FFXIII isn't going to be enough to save this dying console.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

6 years ago

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

k

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#49 freedom01
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Did you actually bump a six year old thread to post that?

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Lems trying to relive the past. Tough times indeed.