Why WWII is more popular than Vietnam in video game context?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Thread.

I'm itching for Operation Flashpoint-scope Vietnam-based video game, or squad-based FPP at least. I wouldn't mind action strategy based in Vietnam too. But I guess it's all wishful thinking. On the other hand, I can't stand WWII setting any longer, especially when it's heavily scripted, limited, arcade-ish, overwrought and overdone to death, which practically speaking is almost 100% of the cases nowadays.

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
I guess because its hard to be heroic and stuff in a vietnam game. Not many big, famous battles. Not many big, famous wins.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts
Much more rich with history, more wars and battles.
Avatar image for Suddenstriker52
Suddenstriker52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Suddenstriker52
Member since 2005 • 996 Posts
Its easier to do. WWII is more straight forward and more conventional. The Vietnam War is more ambiguous and less conventional guerrilla tactics. How fun would it be to hit a trap every five seconds?
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Salt_The_Fries

Much more rich with history, more wars and battles.jharv

Sadly, developers fail to depict and capitalize on its diversity. Maybe a WWII game based on civilian perspective without overblown drama would be a good try, or depicting Polish resistance movement with STALKER-esque attention to detail. There is so much to explore, yet so little was done so far.

wado-karate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 wado-karate
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts
Because World War II is the last war America did any good in.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries

Its easier to do. WWII is more straight forward and more conventional. The Vietnam War is more ambiguous and less conventional guerrilla tactics. How fun would it be to hit a trap every five seconds?Suddenstriker52

Haha, good point :D ! I giggled!

Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lemmywinks_360
Member since 2007 • 1996 Posts
Did you just /thread your own thread before even saying anything????? Anyway, I believe we didn't see many Vietnam games last gen because its a lot harder to render a jungle then open countrysides. As for not seeing very many this gen, I'm not sure. If they did it right it could be a great setting for a game.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
WW2 was epin in terms of battles and wars....plus vietnam was an unpopular war....thats like making a Present iraq war game and having ppl want it...never will happen...Cod4 is as close as u get
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Because Vietnam isn't a 'feel good' topic in general. It was lost, and their is the stigma of all that questionable military activity going on as well, putting a real bad taste in people's mouths about it. On top of this, and largely due to the former, it does not have the famous incidents that everyone and his brother knows about.

It's similar reasoning for why you don't see WWII games where you play the Germans, or Japanese. They lost, and their activities in those wars carry a stigma to this day that people don't want to touch.

o0_L0st_B0y_0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 o0_L0st_B0y_0o
Member since 2006 • 1307 Posts
i dont mean for this to sound offensive to any americans out there. But america wasnt the heros in that war, there was no big battles or anything like that America were slated for it afterwards so people dont want to make games (battlefield vietnam being an exception) where you are not the hero. I imagine in years to come afganistan and iraq wont have games made about them either
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 samusarmada

[QUOTE="jharv"]Much more rich with history, more wars and battles.Salt_The_Fries

Sadly, developers fail to depict and capitalize on its diversity. Maybe a WWII game based on civilian perspective without overblown drama would be a good try, or depicting Polish resistance movement with STALKER-esque attention to detail. There is so much to explore, yet so little was done so far.

Agreed, they sound like great ideas. The trouble is at the moment, even the titles that are branching out from the conventional (i.e. velvet assasin) are still applying by basic genre standpoints and still suffering from a horrifying level of hollywoodisation that doesn't benefit the source material at all.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts
Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflict that wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history, even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 samusarmada

Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflict that wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history, even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.WasntAvailable

yeah, ww2 pretty much claimed more lives than vietnam, the iraq war, the 100 years war and the crusades combined.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
Theres still plenty of vietnamese people alive, Nazi's not so much.
Suddenstriker52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Suddenstriker52

Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflictthat wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history, even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.WasntAvailable

I'm sorry but the Vietnam War was one of our longer wars. It last from 1963-1975 for us, not the entire war. If that is short then WWII lasted a day. I don't understand why everyone is saying the battles weren't epic. They were epic. Not Stalingrad epic but more of Iwo Jima epic. Nobody made a good Vietnam War game because it is nearly impossible to truly recreate its combat. The combat wasn't always clear cut and easy to figure out whose friend and foe. It was brutal, hard, and long. This isn't the type of war where the Geneva Convention was followed. Mines were placed. Napalm was dropped. Civilians were seen as statistics. All of this makes it impossible to really recreate the combat.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WasntAvailable

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflictthat wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history, even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.Suddenstriker52

I'm sorry but the Vietnam War was one of our longer wars. It last from 1963-1975 for us, not the entire war. If that is short then WWII lasted a day. I don't understand why everyone is saying the battles weren't epic. They were epic. Not Stalingrad epic but more of Iwo Jima epic. Nobody made a good Vietnam War game because it is nearly impossible to truly recreate its combat. The combat wasn't always clear cut and easy to figure out whose friend and foe. It was brutal, hard, and long. This isn't the type of war where the Geneva Convention was followed. Mines were placed. Napalm was dropped. Civilians were seen as statistics. All of this makes it impossible to really recreate the combat.

I used the wrong word, I meant it was fairly limited in scope, which it was. It is pretty much limited to very similar backdrops. From a political stand point, a Vietnam game could never really be seen as politically correct, so it's difficult subject matter on any account. And as you say the combat is difficult to simulate. There really are alot of reasons why Vietnam isn't a good war to simulate. If anyone can do it, it has to be Infinity Ward, they atleast have some tact when it comes to moral ambiguity.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Because you don't win. (assuming you don't play from a Vietnamese perspective.)
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
because the US lost
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts
Even though it's a controversial war, I don't see how it wouldn't be interesting to base a game around in terms of gameplay. There was plenty of major battles in it. Hue City, Ia Drang valley, Hamburger hill, A Shau, Tra Binh Dong, both Tet offensives, and the Son Tay Prison raid off the top of my head. And there was plenty of interesting special forces operations. You got the Navy SEALS, LRRPs, LDDNs in Vietnam, the SOG and the Pheonix Program for covert operations in Laos, Cambodia, and North Vietnam.
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
WW2 had alot more participants, and more "glorious", because the allies actually won.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WasntAvailable

Even though it's a controversial war, I don't see how it wouldn't be interesting to base a game around in terms of gameplay. There was plenty of major battles in it. Hue City, Ia Drang valley, Hamburger hill, A Shau, Tra Binh Dong, both Tet offensives, and the Son Tay Prison raid off the top of my head. And there was plenty of interesting special forces operations. You got the Navy SEALS, LRRPs, LDDNs in Vietnam, the SOG and the Pheonix Program for covert operations in Laos, Cambodia, and North Vietnam.Stabby2486

You seem to know an awful lot about the Vietnam War for someone with a cute kitten avatar :lol:. Sorry I just found that kind of ironic. Though you probably do have a point, it certainly would be possible, but it would have to be handeled with care, from both a perspective issue, and a gameplay issue. Not the easiest game to make though, and you would need a really comitted team to do it properly. CoD 6 anyone?

Suddenstriker52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Suddenstriker52

[QUOTE="Stabby2486"]Even though it's a controversial war, I don't see how it wouldn't be interesting to base a game around in terms of gameplay. There was plenty of major battles in it. Hue City, Ia Drang valley, Hamburger hill, A Shau, Tra Binh Dong, both Tet offensives, and the Son Tay Prison raid off the top of my head. And there was plenty of interesting special forces operations. You got the Navy SEALS, LRRPs, LDDNs in Vietnam, the SOG and the Pheonix Program for covert operations in Laos, Cambodia, and North Vietnam.WasntAvailable

You seem to know an awful lot about the Vietnam War for someone with a cute kitten avatar :lol:. Sorry I just found that kind of ironic. Though you probably do have a point, it certainly would be possible, but it would have to be handeled with care, from both a perspective issue, and a gameplay issue. Not the easiest game to make though, and you would need a really comitted team to do it properly. CoD 6 anyone?

I don't know.

Photobucket

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WasntAvailable
Yeah mabye I should get my eyes checked :lol:
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Wasn't such a large, "epic" scale affair. Not to mention it was less "international" when compared to WW2. Rendering all the foliage in a Vietnam-FPS would be difficult too, especially with the hardware we had a few years ago. It'd also be far grittier and would probably be stamped with an M-rating rather quickly.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Vietnam game fad has come and gone
ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts

Because World War II is the last war America did any good in.wado-karate

Funding and selling weapons to the germans was good?

Awesome.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WasntAvailable

[QUOTE="wado-karate"]Because World War II is the last war America did any good in.ukillwegrill

Awesome.

Oh oh. Contemporary WWII opinions. Not a great place to argue about that, infact there is no such thing. No matter what way you put it though Britain (Where you and I hail from) and the Russians needed the America in order to achieve victory. Though what I don't like is the way people like to completely demonise one side over the other. I mean lets face it, the Americans did some pretty ignorant things, they nearly jeprodised the whole D-Day landings by sinking their own tanks, and missing with their air raids. That was a much messier afair than it should have been, and I really feel sorry for the people who died unescicarily that day that were simply caught up in some fools impatient execution. Then we have the Russians, and what they did in Berlin after the war had ended was unforgiveable. It truely is horific to hear how Stalin defended those actions. Then we have the British who failed to stop the war from happening in the first place, when they had every oppertunity to do so. Of course at the end of the day it comes down to the individuals who were in charge. Soilders that died during the Second World War, even the much hated Germans and Japanesse, deserve every honour they were given. They all fought through the same hell.

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts
[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]

[QUOTE="wado-karate"]Because World War II is the last war America did any good in.WasntAvailable

Awesome.

Oh oh. Contemporary WWII opinions. Not a great place to argue about that, infact there is no such thing. No matter what way you put it though Britain (Where you and I hail from) and the Russians needed the America in order to achieve victory. Though what I don't like is the way people like to completely demonise one side over the other. I mean lets face it, the Americans did some pretty ignorant things, they nearly jeprodised the whole D-Day landings by sinking their own tanks, and missing with their air raids. That was a much messier afair than it should have been, and I really feel sorry for the people who died unescicarily that day that were simply caught up in some fools impatient execution. Then we have the Russians, and what they did in Berlin after the war had ended was unforgiveable. It truely is horific to hear how Stalin defended those actions. Then we have the British who failed to stop the war from happening in the first place, when they had every oppertunity to do so. Of course at the end of the day it comes down to the individuals who were in charge. Soilders that died during the Second World War, even the much hated Germans and Japanesse, deserve every honour they were given. They all fought through the same hell.

Lol, never said we didnt need them. Just on somes ways ... we needed them less. What i said being prime examples

Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts

Lol, never said we didnt need them. Just on somes ways ... we needed them less. What i said being prime examples

poster

I don't see how what you stated would make the Americans any less needed. Maybe less helpful not but less needed.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WasntAvailable

"Lol, never said we didnt need them. Just on somes ways ... we needed them less. What i said being prime examples"

What you have to remember though is that America was not on good terms with Britain or Russia or France (Russia for communism, Britain and France for the whole United Nations failure). I think the mentality was that it wasn't of any concern to the Americans. The Axis didn't pose a threat, and hell as far as they were concerned Fascism > Comunism (Bad spelling I know). It wasn't until they were attacked they turned round, and said "Mabye this isn't for the best". The Axis lost because of one act of sheer stupidity (Pearl Harbour). The Germans came friegteningly close to winning at Stalingrad, and France had been lost at that point, what the hell chance did a small country hanging off the edge of Europe have on it's own? We may see it as wrong now, but the Americans were really scared of a communist uprising, as were the British and in fact were very anti Russian before the Russians allied at the last minute. We only really ended up with the American support because the allies were the lesser of two evils to them I suppose.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
[QUOTE="ukillwegrill"]

[QUOTE="wado-karate"]Because World War II is the last war America did any good in.WasntAvailable

Awesome.

Amen to that, but the war couldve been won with the help of JUST the Russians, and also the same for America.

The difference is it wouldve taken MUCH longer

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
Because we won in WW2 in Vietnam we won militarily but lost domestically.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Well, there are many reasons. FIrst of all it's a lot smaller and less important war. It's important to americans, but too nobody else really. Second it's a lost war and not as clean morally as WWII. Third, in WWII most countries took part, so it's something closer to most gamers. Forth WWII is just more varied. Heck if you like killing asians in jungles you can do it in WWII too if you take Pacific setting ;). Fifth...Vietnam war is in bad timing: it's not as old as WWII, so it's still sensitive subject to people and at the same time it's too old to spark flames of fascination among younger crowd like modern warfare does.
Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fawlcon_Pawnch
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts
Americans lost, lol
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Maybe because Vietnam consisted of a bunch of jackasses doing drugs and murdering people?
DisPimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DisPimpin
Member since 2006 • 2513 Posts
Because in WWII America won. Vietnam........not so much. :|
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts
To put it simple, the vietnam war was boring. No new weapons, no major battles, no one really knows about it as much as WWII.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
WWII was the last time America had a clear victory over a clearly evil regime...
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflict that wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history, even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.WasntAvailable

Im pretty sure the civil war had much more deaths then WW2

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

To put it simple, the vietnam war was boring. No new weapons, no major battles, no one really knows about it as much as WWII.

carrot-cake

That's the one part of your post that was correct..... and probably why the rest of your post fails. sorry :(

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

Thread.

I'm itching for Operation Flashpoint-scope Vietnam-based video game, or squad-based FPP at least. I wouldn't mind action strategy based in Vietnam too. But I guess it's all wishful thinking. On the other hand, I can't stand WWII setting any longer, especially when it's heavily scripted, limited, arcade-ish, overwrought and overdone to death, which practically speaking is almost 100% of the cases nowadays.

Salt_The_Fries

Cause people nowadays all want to be politically correct. We live in the ultimate era of pretend to be nice. Vietnam was a controvercial war, and in video games the good guys and bad guys always need to be clear cut. Sadly video games still have not matured beyond black and white. With WWII you know the Germans are bad, and you know Hitler needs to get his a$$ whooped. It's not up for debate, so happy gamers can romp about blowing up Nazis and shooting them in the head and pistol whipping them and all sorts of gaming goodness. But if you were to make a game where the Vietcon were getting the same whooping, you would be faced with hordes and hordes of angry protesters and tree huggers. They'd come out the wood works and soon the game would be banned. Sadly this is the world in which we inhabit, we'd all rather pretend to be nice then learn from history.

If you'll notice that they don't even have any Japanese invasion campagns like the battle of Guadalcanal. Why because it's not politically correct to blow up Japanese soldiers. So what it boils down to is only clear cut villains such as Nazis, North Koreans, Terrorists, and cold war Russians can be portrayed as bad guys. Oh and don't forget the Aliens, cause we all know that Aliens are bad.

jeffwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jeffwulf
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts
[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]

Thread.

pimperjones

Cause people nowadays all want to be politically correct. We live in the ultimate era of pretend to be nice. Vietnam was a controvercial war, and in video games the good guys and bad guys always need to be clear cut. Sadly video games still have not matured beyond black and white. With WWII you know the Germans are bad, and you know Hitler needs to get his a$$ whooped. It's not up for debate, so happy gamers can romp about blowing up Nazis and shooting them in the head and pistol whipping them and all sorts of gaming goodness. But if you were to make a game where the Vietcon were getting the same whooping, you would be faced with hordes and hordes of angry protesters and tree huggers. They'd come out the wood works and soon the game would be banned. Sadly this is the world in which we inhabit, we'd all rather pretend to be nice then learn from history.

If you'll notice that they don't even have any Japanese invasion campagns like the battle of Guadalcanal. Why because it's not politically correct to blow up Japanese soldiers. So what it boils down to is only clear cut villains such as Nazis, North Koreans, Terrorists, and cold war Russians can be portrayed as bad guys. Oh and don't forget the Aliens, cause we all know that Aliens are bad.

Wait... Why would an enviromentalist be angry about a bad portrayal of the Vietcong? That link sort of comes way out of left field.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

It starts with the anti war folks, then moves down to the parents and quickly the games become controvercial and devs get cold feet. No parent wants their kid playing a game that glorifies the Vietnam War. Cause that was suppose to be the wrong war.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Because the the US lost the Vietnam war.
Mardil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mardil
Member since 2004 • 3214 Posts
because the scarss of vietnam are still present, whereas WWII happened longer ago.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflict that wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history, even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.JangoWuzHere

THat has to be a typo, you can't be serious. Nobody can think that petite Civil War had anywhere near the death toll of WW2
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflict that wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history,even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.AdrianWerner

THat has to be a typo, you can't be serious. Nobody can think that petite Civil War had anywhere near the death toll of WW2

WWII around 70 mil

American civil war is under 1 mil

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]Vietnam was a disgrace. A war that should not have happened, atleast not in the way it did. It makes America look bad, so why would American developers promote it in video games? Besides it was a short conflict that wasn't about an awful lot. In case you havn't realised WW2 was a war that involved almost every country in the world, and was massive in scale and length. It was a war fought with very old fashioned tactics that promote a certain amount of heroricy (Is that the right word?), becuase of the hell these soilders had to fight through. It's reported as the war that has had more deaths than any in history, even more than the First World War, and even the 100 Year War (citation needed) (Sorry, but if you can't make fun of you're self then who can you make fun of?). Probably the biggest blotch in human history. Something we should never forget, lest we start another one. WW2 can never be played out, but it should be treated with a bit more respect than the developers treat it.AdrianWerner

I'm pretty sure he misread that post and thought he was talking about American deaths.

Richard7666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Richard7666
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
I think the main thing is the jungle setting has been, until recently, difficult to do well. However, I think this will change soon; particularly if the new CoD pulls it off with it's Pacific settings. There have been plenty of games set in Vietnam (though less than WW2, but WW2 was a far more important war in historical terms, being the greatest war of all time, so that could account for a lot of it), it's just they've all been average games.