Why would Insomniac ever work for Microsoft again after Sunset Overflop vs Spiderman?

• 86 results
Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Insomniac is probably making bank on spiderman where as they sold crap on xb1 with sunset overdrive with little to no marketing.

Meanwhile Sony is treating spiderman like a first class game marketing it everywhere why work with a company that doesn't believe in your product and it sells like trash when you can make gold with sony?

Alessandro_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Alessandro_R
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts

are you serious. Haha

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

It was Sunset Overdrive that attracted Marvel. So a game with no marketing like you say, could attract a giant company like Marvel make your argument null. Insomniac is part of the gaming business, they are multiplat developers. Marvel gave them the opportunity to make a Marvel game, since they are Marvel fans of course they wouldn't miss that opportunity. While Microsoft funded them to create an original IP and Insomniac was quoted on saying that Sunset Overdrive was the game they always wanted to make. Insomniac for the first time in a long time, made a game they always wanted to make with Sunset Overdrive, maybe they were held back with Sony's Ratchet. So Insomniac, a multiplat developer, in the gaming business, will choose any partner and any project of their choosing.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Swear MS literally paid for all of it.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3141 Posts

"Why would Insomniac ever work for Microsoft again after Sunset Overflop vs Spiderman?"

Because Microsoft would be willing to fund a game Insomniac wants to make that no one else wants to publish? Do you think there was some principle other than "because of money" that Insomniac did "Song of the Deep" for GameStop?

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

If Insomniac wanted to make a game and wanted the most people possible to play it, there is no reason why they would not be willing to work with anyone to do it. Weird question.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Insomniac is probably making bank on spiderman where as they sold crap on xb1 with sunset overdrive with little to no marketing.

Meanwhile Sony is treating spiderman like a first class game marketing it everywhere why work with a company that doesn't believe in your product and it sells like trash when you can make gold with sony?

You are a special breed of stupid. Insomniac was paid to make the game and is not the benefactor of the game Sony is. MS funded Sunset Overdrive while allowing Insomniac to still hold control over the IP. Spend time understanding the basics man. Its not hard even for people like you.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@ProtossRushX:

Seems you are getting destroyed left, right and centre for being a first class spanner. Whoops.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Didn't think it was possible, but these cow threads get worse every day.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

They most likely won't ever again. After the disaster that was SO, I don't see them ever working on an MS exclusive again.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

There are so many things wrong with your argument, I don't know where to start. I won't take away from Insomniac's absolutely brilliant Spider-Man game, but your argument is just outright moronic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@quadknight said:

They most likely won't ever again. After the disaster that was SO, I don't see them ever working on an MS exclusive again.

Such a disaster for Insomniac, MS paid them to make the game they wanted. How awful of MS.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01

@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

Such a disaster for Insomniac, MS paid them to make the game they wanted. How awful of MS.

Lol... nothing Quack says makes any sense. Just constant drivel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I think after Spider-Man the chances of SO2 being made are better than before. At least I hope so.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By QuadKnight

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

? Yea the whole project was such a success that MS completely ignored Insomniac when they said they wanted to make a sequel. To the point that Insomniac even had to go on Twitter to beg for a publisher lol. You dumbasses love to live in complete denial of reality.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro

@quadknight said:

? Yea the whole project was such a success that MS completely ignored Insomniac when they said they wanted to make a sequel. To the point that Insomniac even had to go on Twitter to beg for a publisher lol. You dumbasses love to live in complete denial of reality.

Still waiting for the part where Insomniac was negatively affected to the point where they would not work with MS the ONLY company that was willing to sponsor the game.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By QuadKnight

@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

Still waiting for the part where Insomniac was negatively affected to the point where they would not work with MS the ONLY company that was willing to sponsor the game.

? You can keep waiting....

Insomniac has already moved on to greener pastures lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@quadknight said:

So your initial point backfired and now you trying to recover. How is that Sunset Overdrive 2 coming along for Insomniac now that Sony is sponsoring the game.....Oh my bad. :)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By QuadKnight

@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

So your initial point backfired and now you trying to recover. How is that Sunset Overdrive 2 coming along for Insomniac now that Sony is sponsoring the game.....Oh my bad. :)

? Look at that fanboy denial. The game didn't even chart in NPD on the month it debuted lol, and Insomniac isn't making a sequel and you're here trying to tell us it wasn't a disaster. What a sad clown.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@quadknight said:

? Look at that fanboy denial. The game didn't even chart in NPD on the month it debuted lol, and Insomniac isn't making a sequel and you're here trying to tell us it wasn't a disaster. What a sad clown.

Look at that side track. I even got you to revert to the standard retarded response. All from invalidating your initial claim. Stop making me look good. :)

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@quadknight said:

https://wccftech.com/insomniac-sunset-overdrive-xbox-one-x-patch/

Don't mind me, just adding fuel to the fire.

“Realistically it’s not in the cards at this point”, the community manager James Stevenson said when asked about Xbox One X enhancements for Sunset Overdrive. “Our engine code is several years developed from Sunset Overdrive, and to re-open that project and try to piece it in there, on a new piece of hardware, plus all of the testing and resources going into it, isn’t something we’re able to do in house. Right now everyone here is focused on Marvel’s Spider-Man.”

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 QuadKnight

@Ant_17 said:
@quadknight said:

https://wccftech.com/insomniac-sunset-overdrive-xbox-one-x-patch/

Don't mind me, just adding fuel to the fire.

“Realistically it’s not in the cards at this point”, the community manager James Stevenson said when asked about Xbox One X enhancements for Sunset Overdrive. “Our engine code is several years developed from Sunset Overdrive, and to re-open that project and try to piece it in there, on a new piece of hardware, plus all of the testing and resources going into it, isn’t something we’re able to do in house. Right now everyone here is focused on Marvel’s Spider-Man.”

? and @Pedro the moron is still maintaining the game wasn't a disaster. They can't even be bothered to do an X patch for the game lol

@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

Look at that side track. I even got you to revert to the standard retarded response. All from invalidating your initial claim. Stop making me look good. :)

When a game has flopped and has been shelved in the gaming industry it's considered a disaster. Your fanboy wishful delusions do not stop it from being regarded as a disaster.

MS is hiding their head in the sand while Insomniac is looking for a publisher on Twitter lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@quadknight said:

? and @Pedro the moron is still maintaining the game wasn't a disaster. They can't even be bothered to do an X patch for the game lol

@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

When a game has flopped and has been shelved in the gaming industry it's considered a disaster. Your fanboy wishful delusions do not stop it from being regarded as a disaster.

MS is hiding their head in the sand while Insomniac is looking for a publisher on Twitter lol.

Look at you trying so hard and still failing. Guess that fact of MS being the only one to sponsor a game Insomniac wanted to make really got you shook. That awful deal with MS really have Insomniac pissed with MS right? LOL.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01

@i_p_daily said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Makes sense.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

Agreed. It goes to the point where he/she just spams gifs and memes and circles around the same two or three comments.

EDIT: Scrolls down a bit and sees 4 gifs/meme by Quack LOL. **** me these forums are a joke.

EDIT2: To go back to the OP, I don't think Insomniac has to go back to MS for SO. I do believe a sequel can/will happen without them, especially considering how well received Spiderman has been. They have shown progress between the two games (mainly in the combat; they already had traversal down with SO imo). I thought SO was a solid game, but like most new IP exclusive efforts from MS (Ryse, Quantum Break, SO, Luckys Tale, maybe SoT since we can't see sales numbers), the sales just weren't there.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By QuadKnight

@Pedro: Yea I’m "shook" that a game MS published flopped harder than pancakes while the current game that Sony is publishing with Insomniac is about to become the most successful game insomniac’s history and one of the most successful games this year. ???? Excuse me.....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

MS’ complete failures this gen and Sony’s successes have really ****ed with your heads. Total delusion with you fools ?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

They won't work for MS again. They said earlier this year that the R&C remake was their most successful game ever and we know Spidey is going to shatter those numbers. The 2 times Insomniac made a AAA game for other publishers (SO for MS and Fuse for EA) their games bombed. Everything they make for Sony turns to gold.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I’m sure they will work with anyone that willing to fund them, on the other hand platinum games might never work with MS again for exclusives lol

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By QuadKnight
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

They won't work for MS again. They said earlier this year that the R&C remake was their most successful game ever and we know Spidey is going to shatter those numbers. The 2 times Insomniac made a AAA game for other publishers (SO for MS and Fuse for EA) their games bombed. Everything they make for Sony turns to gold.

Facts, and this is the reason I believe it's not likely they will be working with MS again anytime soon. They'd have to be idiots to go running to MS or EA after the disaster of those games. Their best bet is to stay where they are most successful, and where fans of their type of games are which is with Playstation. These idiot lems in this thread don't want to admit this simple fact.

ribhu672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ribhu672
Member since 2014 • 173 Posts

The same reason why anyone would work..money.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@gago-gago: You have no clue what your talking about. Marvel made the deal with Sony. It was a part of the deal in allowing Spiderman to appear in the MCU Sony would get exclusive rights to the games. Sony chose insomniac not Marvel.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

Everything has a price

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

This is the stuff that happens after big PS exclusives score well. Cows like TC start making threads with questions as if they have any true rationality to them. It basically comes down to, "I'm a fanboy, my corporate love is winning and there is no reason for anyone to not love working for them."

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cainetao11

@blackhairedhero said:

@gago-gago: You have no clue what your talking about. Marvel made the deal with Sony. It was a part of the deal in allowing Spiderman to appear in the MCU Sony would get exclusive rights to the games. Sony chose insomniac not Marvel.

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

http://time.com/3702942/spider-man-sony-marvel/

http://collider.com/spider-man-marvel-sony-deal-explained/#mcu

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/20/15841200/spider-man-marvel-sony-cinematic-universe-rights-management

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/exclusive-details-on-marvel/sony-spider-man-deal-drew-goddard-eyed-to-a112646

I have searched and can find no proof that the Spiderman exclusive was a part of the MCU deal. This Variety article among others say NOTHING about a video game being a part of it. If you have actual evidence of what you just claimed please post it.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Because Microsoft helped publish a game from Insomniac.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@cainetao11:

I saw it on a video interview with a financial analyst on MSNBC.

I did find this though.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/03/13/insomniac-chose-spider-man-ps4-after-being-given-a-choice/amp/

“Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man.” 

Which confirms Sony picked insomniac not Marvel. I'm sure insomniac and Marvel met later on but they didn't pick them because of Sunset Overdrive.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cainetao11

@blackhairedhero said:

@cainetao11:

I saw it on a video interview with a financial analyst on MSNBC.

I did find this though.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/03/13/insomniac-chose-spider-man-ps4-after-being-given-a-choice/amp/

“Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man.”

Which confirms Sony picked insomniac not Marvel. I'm sure insomniac and Marvel met later on but they didn't pick them because of Sunset Overdrive.

I don't doubt that at all. I knew that already. But I have seen other people make these baseless claims about the game being part of the Movies deal. I provided more links and apologize for putting them in late. No article I find says the game was a part of the movie deal.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

I bet you that in a few months Insomniac is going to announce an X1X patch for Sunset Overdrive and maybe even a PC version. It only makes sense to garner interest from that game for a sequel.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@quadknight said:

@Pedro: Yea I’m "shook" that a game MS published flopped harder than pancakes while the current game that Sony is publishing with Insomniac is about to become the most successful game insomniac’s history and one of the most successful games this year. ???? Excuse me.....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

MS’ complete failures this gen and Sony’s successes have really ****ed with your heads. Total delusion with you fools ?

It's only because of the I.P you idiot! ?????????

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@cainetao11: Not sure how baseless that is. Several months after its announced Marvel is working with Sony on the movies Sony gets exclusive rights to the IP for the games.

That's an odd coincidence. Spiderman is huge for Marvel it's odd they would let Sony publish it knowing it will never go multiplat. Unless they were just extremely happy with the way they published games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cainetao11

@blackhairedhero said:

@cainetao11: Not sure how baseless that is. Several months after its announced Marvel is working with Sony on the movies Sony gets exclusive rights to the IP for the games.

That's an odd coincidence. Spiderman is huge for Marvel it's odd they would let Sony publish it knowing it will never go multiplat. Unless they were just extremely happy with the way they published games.

But with no actual proof its baseless. I see people say the game was a part of the movie deal but an entire google or Bing page of articles and not a single breakdown of the deal mentions that part. I just think people want to believe it so they will. But nobody has proved it to anyone in SW.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blackhairedhero

@cainetao11: Why would anyone want to believe that? Its exclusive and its staying exclusive why would anyone care why?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/marvel-video-game-schedule-plans/amp/

According to the marvel boss they just want really talented passionate dev's with big budgets. That's the better scenario in my opinion because it means Playstation may get more quality marvel exclusives beyond Spider-man.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts
@blackhairedhero said:

@cainetao11: Why would anyone want to believe that? Its exclusive and its staying exclusive why would anyone care why?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/marvel-video-game-schedule-plans/amp/

According to the marvel boss they just want really talented passionate dev's with big budgets. That's the better scenario in my opinion because it means Playstation may get more quality marvel exclusives beyond Spider-man.

and where do these devs get their big budgets?

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@howmakewood: The publishers. But they need passion and talent so that automatically eliminates Activision and EA. Both who have shit on Marvel franchises the past decade.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

I really don’t want insomniac to spend any time making another sunset. The first game was cringey/shitty enough

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts
@gago-gago said:

It was Sunset Overdrive that attracted Marvel. So a game with no marketing like you say, could attract a giant company like Marvel make your argument null. Insomniac is part of the gaming business, they are multiplat developers. Marvel gave them the opportunity to make a Marvel game, since they are Marvel fans of course they wouldn't miss that opportunity. While Microsoft funded them to create an original IP and Insomniac was quoted on saying that Sunset Overdrive was the game they always wanted to make. Insomniac for the first time in a long time, made a game they always wanted to make with Sunset Overdrive, maybe they were held back with Sony's Ratchet. So Insomniac, a multiplat developer, in the gaming business, will choose any partner and any project of their choosing.

Wait...you're trying to credit Sunset Overdrive to something here?

Marvel...gave them an opportunity to make the game?

Lemmings spreading nonsense as usual.

LMFAO, lemmings are clueless, and desperate to not give credit to the real reason why this game was made by Insomniac.

No, this had NOTHING to do with Marvel's recognition of Insomniac, all the credit for giving the team a full on blank check funded game AND the opportunity to choose any title in the marvel universe to create belongs to Sony.

It was SONY's decision to choose with dev team for this project and give the ok to work this title or not. Marvel was literally no where in that decision making process, nor did Marvel spend a dime funding the game.

Oh and I'll also add...this was AFTER MS spit in their face and tuned Insomniac DOWN for fund a Sunset Overdrive 2 project.

lol MS shot themselves in the foot and if they ever want to work with Insomniac again they'll have to spend 3 to 4x the asking price of what Insomniac requested for that SOD 2 project if they ever want to work with MS at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

I really don’t want insomniac to spend any time making another sunset. The first game was cringey/shitty enough

You're full of it, the only reason you don't like SO is because its on Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#49  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@i_p_daily: It's funny people having issues with SO being cringy but then they have no issues with Spider-Man being a cringy character because that's how he is. I think that's one of the best arguments ever in SW.

I guess R&C being cringy it's OK too.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Blackhairedhero

@Pedro: I get what your saying but the game needs to sell. Usually a developer gets some portion of the profits and if the game doesn't sell the developer takes a hit.