Why would anyone not own a gaming PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

First off, a screenshot from the PC version of Resident Evil 5 (max settings):

Check out more screenshots here:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=383744

You can be guaranteed that they are legit, cause NeoGAF will have long banned the user and removed the screenshot if it isnt ;)

-------

So, why doesn't everyone own a gaming rig? Despite all the advantages, there are still pure console gamers and it blows my mind.

PC gaming is:

1) not that expensive. I've seen good PC's built for 500 if your REALLY on budget.

2) Has more high scoring exclusives than all 3 consoles combined

3) Has mods, I've seen mods offered for free that are superior to expansion packs. Infact, many games IMO like Rome Total War would be garbage without mods. They can completely revolutionize a game.

4) I've found that PC games generally have the best and most mature community of players

5) PC gaming has unmatched technical power and the versatility it gives is next to none. While consoles are likely to be stuck with 1080p even on the NEXT generation, PC gaming, if you are willing to spend the money, can be running across multiple monitors with features like eyefinity.1920x1200 x 3 is 5760p.

6) Yes, PC gaming can be played on your "comfy" couch and you can connect your PC to your HDTV. If you don't want to use the superior M+K (superior for most genres that is) for a game, you can just connect a controller. LIke I said before, VERSATILITY

7) Best versions of all multiplats. Infact, some multiplats are so good on PC that they might as well be considered a whole different experience. Case in point, Team Fortress 2.

So, why do some people actually not game on PC?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Money, most people dont like to spend it.

Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Logan832
Member since 2006 • 2168 Posts
I really like the ease of carrying my PS3 around in its messenger bag. That, and most of my friends have a ps3 or 360 rather than a gaming pc.
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 argetlam00

clyde46

Yet, PC games are cheaper than console games (especially when we start talking Steam deals) and you get far more than gaming with a new PC.

Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts

clyde46
Or because some people have more things in life then gaming-
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I love the cheapness, portability, ease of use, splitscreen, and console exclusives.
Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Logan832
Plus I have a laptop that will play most pc games on minimum/medium. Which I don't mind if I can't get the game on my ps3.
Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sandvichman
[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]

Yet, PC games are cheaper than console games (especially when we start talking Steam deals) and you get far more than gaming with a new PC.

Console gaming is cheaper.
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 argetlam00

[QUOTE="clyde46"]

Sandvichman

If they do, I see good reasons why they should buy a PC. Zero reasons why they should buy a console. All a console can do is game (well, not really, but thats their main purpose).

Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sandvichman
[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="Sandvichman"][QUOTE="clyde46"]

If they do, I see good reasons why they should buy a PC. Zero reasons why they should buy a console. All a console can do is game.

Define good.
wizardwd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wizardwd
Member since 2006 • 606 Posts
Here's the number one reason for most console games: Ease of use. When I go out to buy a new Xbox 360 game, I don't have to turn it around and look at the specs needed to run the game. When I get home I know I can pop in the dvd and just play right now, I don't have to install the game. Also, another reason: rentals. As a console game I can go to my local Blockbuster rent a game for 5$ and play it and probably finish it. If I really like the game I can go and buy it after.
Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Logan832
I dont like KeyBoard and Mouse...-Hoax-
That too! I don't mind the mouse.. But keyboard keys have always seemed uncomfortable and awkward to play games with.
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 argetlam00

[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Console gaming is cheaper. Sandvichman

Usually yes, but it can change in the longterm. Furthermore, how much is a PS3, 300 dollars? then you gotta start popping 60 dollars a game + HDMI cables + controllers. When I got my PS3 I spent over 400 dollars on it, with the games and all. Some of the very best PC games can be found very cheaply on Steam.

[QUOTE="-Hoax-"]I dont like KeyBoard and Mouse...Logan832
That too! I don't mind the mouse.. But keyboard keys have always seemed uncomfortable and awkward to play games with.

You can plug in a controller if you don't like to use M+ K for a particular game. Though I HIGHLY suggest you do for shooters and RTS ;)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46

I will defend PC gaming to the bitter end but to say PC gaming is cheaper is not true. The software may be cheaper than consoles but the hardware sure isnt.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho
[QUOTE="-Hoax-"]I dont like KeyBoard and Mouse...Logan832

Must agree here too. Moving with WASD is super lame.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46
[QUOTE="Logan832"][QUOTE="-Hoax-"]I dont like KeyBoard and Mouse...locopatho

Using a controller is like driving a automatic :|
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

its easier and simplier "console game wise" just walk in my room turn on my ps3 and i'm set, with pc you gotta first check to see if your computer can run the game and if it can't you gotta upgrade it or play it on low settings. So ehh, consoles have their strengths and weaknesses and PC gamin has its strengths and weaknesses

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 locopatho

[QUOTE="Sandvichman"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

argetlam00

Depends, how much is a PS3, 300 dollars? then you gotta start popping 60 dollars a game + HDMI cables + controllers. When I got my PS3 I spent over 400 dollars on it, with the games and all. Some of the very best PC games can be found very cheaply on Steam.

Go way with $60 worst case scenario for console games, then Steam sales best case scenario for PC. I recently got Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 for 360 for 15 euros each, that's great prices.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Because there are far more console/handheld games that interest me more than PC games.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's about building one(which I can do), price and games.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Logan832"] That too! I don't mind the mouse.. But keyboard keys have always seemed uncomfortable and awkward to play games with.

Using a controller is like driving a automatic :|

So you keep saying.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Because owning and maintaining a powerful PC is technically complicated, expensive, and a hassle a lot. Some people just want to sit back on a couch and play games casually.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 argetlam00

[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="Sandvichman"] Console gaming is cheaper. locopatho

Depends, how much is a PS3, 300 dollars? then you gotta start popping 60 dollars a game + HDMI cables + controllers. When I got my PS3 I spent over 400 dollars on it, with the games and all. Some of the very best PC games can be found very cheaply on Steam.

Go way with $60 worst case scenario for console games, then Steam sales best case scenario for PC. I recently got Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 for 360 for 15 euros each, that's great prices.

Even worse scenario, PC games are always at least 10 dollars cheaper. MINIMUM. Depending on how much gaming you do, it may pay off in the long term.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I have two major reasons:

1) I want a computer that does more than a budget $500 rig, I want a massive monitor and enough processing power to run background tasks and games at the same time.

2) I don't even have bugdet enough for games for the systems I own, let alone a new system altogether.

I've got a netbook (that can run 2003 and older games) and am getting an older desktop (pre-built Dell with integrated graphics and AGP expansion) and can do what I can with them. But it'll be a while before I can afford my dream rig.

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

i have no use for it.

all i want to play is Stalker and thats it.

and i wont buy PC for that

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

argetlam00

Even worse scenario, PC games are always at least 10 dollars cheaper. MINIMUM. Depending on how much gaming you do, it may pay off in the long term.

So Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 are 5 euro each on PC?
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

[QUOTE="Logan832"][QUOTE="-Hoax-"]

argetlam00

you can get console game cheap to. Amazon and play often have great deals. i rarely pay more that £20 for my console games. unless its a new release im gagging to play

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
PC gaming is great and all but let's be honest. Their are enough Console choices and variety of games on consoles or handhelds to keep a gamer quite happy without ever needing to go the PC route. The kind of exclusive games that the PC get's are also something that doesn't appeal to a broad audience and with the PS3 and 360 getting even more PC dev support there is even less reason for the casual gamer to become a Hermit.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Alot of people would rather pop a game in a console and hit play then build and maintain a gaming PC.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Go way with $60 worst case scenario for console games, then Steam sales best case scenario for PC. I recently got Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 for 360 for 15 euros each, that's great prices.locopatho

Find them for consoles at that price. New.
Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sandvichman

[QUOTE="Sandvichman"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

Usually yes, but it can change in the longterm. Furthermore, how much is a PS3, 300 dollars? then you gotta start popping 60 dollars a game + HDMI cables + controllers. When I got my PS3 I spent over 400 dollars on it, with the games and all. Some of the very best PC games can be found very cheaply on Steam.

[QUOTE="Logan832"][QUOTE="-Hoax-"]I dont like KeyBoard and Mouse...argetlam00

You can plug in a controller if you don't like to use M+ K for a particular game. Though I HIGHLY suggest you do for shooters and RTS ;)

You are assuming i buy all my games at 60, just like steam console gamers can find deals. I bought BC2, METRO2033, and Just cause 3 for 80 bucks together while these games were still 50 each on steam.

What is it with hermits who believe there are no deals for console gaming?

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

COMPLEXITY...the PC is just to complex for the adverage person.

1. installing games... the its not compatable problem
  2. changing specs so the game runs well... changing resolution, and advanced features
  3. is my computer equiped with PCI-E ot AGP... what is that?? (lol)
  4. Hmmm.... NA this is just too much

See the ADVERAGE gamer is uncomplacated ... insert disk turn on tv... start to play... Many people just do not want to go through the hassle.

and HOW wants to talk to the geek squad about anything. We as US citizens do not like to ask HOW to do much if we feel that we should already know how to do it.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho

clyde46

I don't need to, I'm not the one claiming they are 5 euro each :|

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Sigh, obvious troll, but ill bite. A console is a gaming device. Pc's are expensive and require constant upgrades. Alot of people including myself dont have the know how to do this.

kipohippo021

Now who's the obvious troll?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clyde46

[QUOTE="kipohippo021"]

Sigh, obvious troll, but ill bite. A console is a gaming device. Pc's are expensive and require constant upgrades. Alot of people including myself dont have the know how to do this.

N30F3N1X

Now who's the obvious troll?

I'm managed to put together a PC for can run games from 06 and down for under £100.

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I think the main reason (for me anyway) is money. Yes, it's fantastic that you have the flexibility to spend exactly what you want on a PC, but more often than not you'll end up with something crap unless you spend 500 or over - and when you consider you can buy a console for 150, then a console is a far cheaper option.

PC games are cheaper, but having to upgrade to play them isn't fun unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket. In any case, pre-owned console games are cheap as well.

Then there's the issue of random crap (driver issues, software conflicts) screwing up your experience. With a console I can just pop a disk in and play straight away.

You've also got to consider than some people like the freedom of a laptop, rather than gaming rig. I have a standard 7yr old desktop for others in my house to use, while I have a cheap speedy Netbook.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
It's more expensive, no matter what BS the hermits try to say, a $300 console bought years ago still plays games out now, and will still play ANY game for the next 3-4 years. Try buying a PC for that cheap that will last for a 8 - 10 year life cycle. PC you have to upgrade, I never have to upgrade. I'd much rather have a controller then a M+K. If I want to play a game, I put the game in and it plays, no problems, everytime. I don't have to install, I don't have to do anything but play the game. I don't care about graphics, as long as they aren't bad I don't care. I don't purchase DLC anyways, i'm not worried about it. The cost of games is literally dollars if your smart. If your using steam tho you are stuck with that game you purchased, I can resell mine, VERSATILITY.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="locopatho"] So Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 are 5 euro each on PC?Vinegar_Strokes

Amazon have Bioshock 2 from £6.75 new http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bioshock+2&sprefix=bio

And the PC version on Amazon is £8, I will give you that one.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

COMPLEXITY...the PC is just to complex for the adverage person.

1. installing games... the its not compatable problem
  2. changing specs so the game runs well... changing resolution, and advanced features
  3. is my computer equiped with PCI-E ot AGP... what is that?? (lol)
  4. Hmmm.... NA this is just too much

See the ADVERAGE gamer is uncomplacated ... insert disk turn on tv... start to play... Many people just do not want to go through the hassle.

and HOW wants to talk to the geek squad about anything. We as US citizens do not like to ask HOW to do much if we feel that we should already know how to do it.

Ravenlore_basic
Prove it to me. I don't want mere anecdotes either. I want academic studies which show that the average consumer is ill-equipped to deal with a gaming computer.
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 argetlam00

[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Go way with $60 worst case scenario for console games, then Steam sales best case scenario for PC. I recently got Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 for 360 for 15 euros each, that's great prices.locopatho

When games are released, console games are usually 60 and PC are 50. 10 dollars difference. I'm sure that no matter what deal you found bioshock and ME2 on console was, it was cheaper on PC.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 locopatho

argetlam00

When games are released, console games are usually 60 and PC are 50. 10 dollars difference. I'm sure that no matter what deal you found bioshock and ME2 on console was, it was cheaper on PC.

And I didn't buy it for 60 euro, I waited less then 6 months and got it for a quarter of that. So go way with saying console gamers are spending way more on games.
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 argetlam00

[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] So Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 are 5 euro each on PC?locopatho

And I didn't buy it for 60 euro, I waited less then 6 months and got it for a quarter of that. So go way with saying console gamers are spending way more on games.

Uhh yeah they are. If you want to talk deals, tell me a console deal better than Steam summer sale, in which u can save hundreds of dollars?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"] And I didn't buy it for 60 euro, I waited less then 6 months and got it for a quarter of that. So go way with saying console gamers are spending way more on games.

PC games depreciate in price too you know. Especially if you buy it from specialty retailers.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clyde46
[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] So Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 are 5 euro each on PC?locopatho

However the same could be said for PC games. I never bought a game from Steam at full price. All my games were bought on sales. I have over 80 games now.
Fireboy78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fireboy78
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts

Steam, enough to say. PC win.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 locopatho

clyde46

However the same could be said for PC games. I never bought a game from Steam at full price. All my games were bought on sales. I have over 80 games now.

Of course it could. Neither are vastly cheaper or better than the other when it comes to game prices. Except for ancient PC games which can be had for a couple of euro, those are nice.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#50 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I love the cheapness, portability, ease of use, splitscreen, and console exclusives.locopatho
agreed. Plus I never had a PC growing up, but always had a console. It is what I prefer, that simple. I prefer brunettes to blondes also. Are they better? No, I just prefer them.