Why was Killzone 2 such a sales disappointment? Sony lies inside.

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KittenWishes
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Killzone 2, was of the most overhyped games this generation, let alone this decade, and was "better than Gears of War 2" according to Cows. The same Gears of War 2 that sold over 5 million copies as of early 2009.

KZ2, according to Sony, had "1.1 million pre-orders alone in Europe" http://www.destructoid.com/killzone-2-preorders-hit-1-1-million-in-europe-120678.phtml on February 5th.

Yet on April 16th, 2+ months later, that same Sony announced that Killzone 2 had just hit "1 million sold WORLDWIDE" http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/3428/killzone-2-sales-hit-one-million/

This doesn't make much sense. A game that has over 1.1 million pre-orders in ONE REGION ALONE only reached the 1 million mark SOLD over 2 months later.

It really goes to show that hype =/= sales.

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

It also goes to show that Sales=/=Quality.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#3 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I am starting to think Sony burned down your village and did unspeakable acts against your family.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

Killzone 2, was of the most overhyped games this generation, let alone this decade, and was "better than Gears of War 2" according to Cows. The same Gears of War 2 that sold over 5 million copies as of early 2009.

KZ2, according to Sony, had "1.1 million pre-orders alone in Europe" http://www.destructoid.com/killzone-2-preorders-hit-1-1-million-in-europe-120678.phtml on February 5th.

Yet on April 16th, 2+ months later, that same Sony announced that Killzone 2 had just hit "1 million sold WORLDWIDE" http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/3428/killzone-2-sales-hit-one-million/

This doesn't make much sense. A game that has over 1.1 million pre-orders in ONE REGION ALONE only reached the 1 million mark SOLD over 2 months later.

KittenWishes

I think Sony made a mistake in that announcement. They probably meant 1.1 million pre-orders worldwide. Still the game didn't sell that great, probably because a lot of people who bought the PS3, got it as a Blu-Ray player and not a game console. KZ3 should easily surpass 1.1 million worldwide in it's first couple of weeks. I thought the game was overhyped as well. For me, I thought Gears 2 was a better game overall, even though KZ2 online action was very good.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I am starting to think Sony burned down your village and did unspeakable acts against your family.

zarshack
You got the village bit right.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Well, those sales figures are respectable for a mediocre, uninspired shooter with terrific graphics. I just started playing through KZ2 again, and once you get past the graphics, it really is just a paint by numbers shooter. I liked the online a lot better than the campaign though... mixing up the objectives was a great idea.
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

zarshack

They obviously sent giant enemy crabs to attack them for massive damage.

Adamantium4k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Adamantium4k2
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

Why are we using VG charts? Why are we digging up articles from a year and a half ago?

Why are we not posting the current overall total sales figures as of today?

I need these answers NOW!!!!!

KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KittenWishes

Why are we using VG charts? Why are we digging up articles from a year and a half ago?

Why are we not posting the current overall total sales figures as of today?

I need these answers NOW!!!!!

Adamantium4k2
I don't like VGChartz, but its just a news story (repeated on countless other news sites) so its valid. Its also a press release from Sony themselves. Liars.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

I thought gears 2 was better than killzone 2, but you are really going out of your way to attack Sony by posting stuff came out/mattered last year

Whose Alt Account is Kittenwishes? Considering he didn't even watch e3 on this one

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

wow so you are giving us information that is over a year old. Exactly what do you have against Sony to bring this up lol. By the way everyone exaggerates their preorders........I still remember when Lems tried to convince everyone that Too Human had 1.5 million preorders lol.
KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KittenWishes

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]Typical Cows going off topic and starting with the personal attacks. Predictably, they ignore Sony's lies.zarshack

Says the typical lemming?

Unnecessary.
icygangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 icygangsta
Member since 2006 • 2897 Posts

You do realize most people that pre-order in advance usually....oh wait *looks at TC name*. Nevermind. Yes your right TC.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zarshack

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]Typical Cows going off topic and starting with the personal attacks. Predictably, they ignore Sony's lies.KittenWishes

Says the typical lemming?

Unnecessary.

As is half of your posts and threads :? I am merely replying to your topics in the appropriate manner. If you would like my 2 cents on this topic then here. People decided to not buy the game. It was not hyped as much as you say. Gears of War 2 is better then Killzone 2.

KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KittenWishes

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

darthogre

wow so you are giving us information that is over a year old. Exactly what do you have against Sony to bring this up lol. By the way everyone exaggerates their preorders........I still remember when Lems tried to convince everyone that Too Human had 1.5 million preorders lol.

Oh if its not the "SONY MADE A MISTAKE" excuse its "THIS IS OLD NEWS!!!!".

Not really, no. Both games are still the current iteration of their respective franchises and Sony's lies aren't resticted to 2009.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"] Unnecessary.KittenWishes

As is half of your posts and threads :? I am merely replying to your topics in the appropriate manner.

No, you're off-topic and trolling me.

Its not trolling if he's right
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zarshack

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"] Unnecessary.KittenWishes

As is half of your posts and threads :? I am merely replying to your topics in the appropriate manner.

No, you're off-topic and trolling me.

Never. I do not troll. I simply respond in good humor and partial mockery of your consistent Sony bashing, even when you resort to pointless old topics as a means to try and suite your arguments. Check my edit also.

EliteKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EliteKitteh
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts

*checks date on OP*

You're about a year late TC.

icygangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 icygangsta
Member since 2006 • 2897 Posts

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="KittenWishes"] No, you're off-topic and trolling me.KittenWishes

Another predictable response. The herd really stick together, don't they. ON TOPIC PLEASE. The topic being Sony's lies. Repeated lies.

Most pre-orders are cancelled before they have a chance to go through - using pre-orders as a means of total sales is foolish.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50666 Posts

I'll give the three obvious as hell answers:

1. Sales mean nothing

2. Not everyone who preorders actually buys the game, this is nothing new

3. It was not overhyped, it's hard to be overhyped when you average higher than a 90%

EliteKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EliteKitteh
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="KittenWishes"] No, you're off-topic and trolling me.KittenWishes

Another predictable response. The herd really stick together, don't they. ON TOPIC PLEASE. The topic being Sony's lies. Repeated lies.

What about when MS said Too Human had 1 million pre-orders? At least Killzone 2 eventually sold those pre-orders. Too Human never came close to a million :cry:

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skittles_McGee

The herd stick together? I'm a cow today, sweet. Yesterday I was a hermit, the day before I was a sheep, and a lemming before that.

I've been everything now! This is a day to remember. I shall mark this down on my calendar, the day I became everything.. I want to thank all the little people. I want to thank musicalmac for teaching how me how to be a lemming, I want to thank Valve for teaching me how to be a hermit, I want to thank Nintendo E3 2010 for teaching me how to be a sheep, and I want to thank this thread for teaching me how to be a cow.

Oh jeez, I said I wasn't gonna c... c...cry.. :cry:

Now that I've had my fun, you're sorely mistaken if you believe I'm a cow.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I hate sounding like a Microsoft hater but remember when Microsoft told everyone that the failure rates were 3 to 5% for the 360, I think that lie was a tad bit bigger
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zarshack

You don't know that Sony lied, they may have had that many pre-orders, people dont always buy something when they preorder. People can choose to cancel at any time they want.

If you want to knock Sony for lying then stick to talking about 4D, 120 FPS, and rumble in controllers being last gen.

I shall now cease using logical sense and agree with you because i can.

Sony lied KZ2 is a failure. Gears of War 2 is way better coz it sold more!

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

Half of the preorders were probably cancelled after sane people realized how terrible the game was after playing the demo. :P

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shinrabanshou

I hate sounding like a Microsoft hater but remember when Microsoft told everyone that the failure rates were 3 to 5% for the 360, I think that lie was a tad bit biggerDiviniuz
Stay on the troll topic, won't you!?! This is about that dastardly Sony. Not lovely sweet Microsoft.

KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KittenWishes

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] Its not trolling if he's righticygangsta

Most pre-orders are cancelled before they have a chance to go through - using pre-orders as a means of total sales is foolish.

Doesn't seem strange to you that they can say "1.1 million downloads in EUROPE" before the game is released, then "reached 1 million sold WORLDWIDE" 2 months later?

I highly doubt that pre-orders would have dropped that far.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox  Online

Half of the preorders were probably cancelled after sane people realized how terrible the game was after playing the demo. :P

WhenCicadasCry
It actually sold more than 1 million in Europe still...people just took a while to pick up their copy of the awesome game! Also, stop hating on KZ!
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="icygangsta"]

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

KittenWishes

Doesn't seem strange to you that they can say "1.1 million downloads in EUROPE" before the game is released, then "reached 1 million sold WORLDWIDE" 2 months later?

I highly doubt that pre-orders would have dropped that far.

You're assuming a lot of things in this thread, which is why it's a silly thread. Well, that and many other reasons. This happens all the time, it happened to Too Human (which you ignored), it's nothing new. And KZ2 still sold more than 1 million in Europe.

KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KittenWishes
If you want to knock Sony for lying then stick to talking about 4D, 120 FPS, and rumble in controllers being last gen.zarshack
What. Thats even older than Killzone 2's 2009 release. Weren't you and others just mooing at me about this being old news, yet you'd be fine with me drudging up old neews from 2006? Cow logic as PER.
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

Kittenwish is probably the most sane person on this board. Cows logic is unrelentlessly illogical full of lies and fear mongering tactics. They focus on mere data from years old and all they do is google search and use facts at their own convenience to take down microsoft and their empire

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Skittles_McGee
This is my kinda argument. One side: *logical reasoning* TC: Pfft, cows. I like where this is going.
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

Kittenwish is probably the most sane person on this board. Cows logic is unrelentlessly illogical full of lies and fear mongering tactics. They focus on mere data from years old and all they do is google search and use facts at their own convenience to take down microsoft and their empire

nhh18

But...isn't that what Kittenwish has just done?

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zarshack

[QUOTE="zarshack"]If you want to knock Sony for lying then stick to talking about 4D, 120 FPS, and rumble in controllers being last gen.KittenWishes
What. Thats even older than Killzone 2's 2009 release. Weren't you and others just mooing at me about this being old news, yet you'd be fine with me drudging up old neews from 2006? Cow logic as PER.

Hell if you are gonna use old news and say they are lying atleast do it about news where they actually lied. I would be in here poking holes in your logic and reasoning if you were a cow talking rubbish as well.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

[QUOTE="darthogre"][QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

Oh if its not the "SONY MADE A MISTAKE" excuse its "THIS IS OLD NEWS!!!!".

Not really, no. Both games are still the current iteration of their respective franchises and Sony's lies aren't resticted to 2009.

If you Lems were half as intrested in demanding good exclusives from MS rather than be obsessed with the sales of Sony titles, maybe you guys wouldn't be so bored.
WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

Chutebox

It actually sold more than 1 million in Europe still...people just took a while to pick up their copy of the awesome game! Also, stop hating on KZ!

Nope. :P

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

And........
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shinrabanshou

This is my kinda argument. One side: *logical reasoning* TC: Pfft, cows. I like where this is going.  Skittles_McGee
I see you've got the abridged version. My copy went like this.

TC: *comes out from under bridge and posts bizarre troll topic*
Other side: *logical reasoning* or *warranted derision*
TC: Pfft, cows.
Other side: You're a well known lemming.
TC: Hah, resorting to namecalling. Stay on topic. *Goes off to try and troll and derail other thread.*
Other side: *logical reasoning*
TC: Pfft, cows.

Rinse and repeat until eventual lock.

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

KittenWishes

pretty much goes like this:

• the longer a game is available for pre-order, the less accurate the pre-order numbers are
  • the demo turned a lot of people off, people forget but Killzone 2 - despite all of its graphics hype - was the Crackdown 2 of 2009

beyond that, there just wasn't that much positive feedback after the game launched, the MP had issues and nobody was blown away by the campaign, the demo got a controls update but was too late to persuade people again who had already moved on, so Killzone 2 largely became a slow-burner for the rest of 2009

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

BigBoss154

it also goes to show that sony can't move software.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

[QUOTE="KittenWishes"]

XanderZane

I think Sony made a mistake in that announcement. They probably meant 1.1 million pre-orders worldwide. Still the game didn't sell that great, probably because a lot of people who bought the PS3, got it as a Blu-Ray player and not a game console. KZ3 should easily surpass 1.1 million worldwide in it's first couple of weeks. I thought the game was overhyped as well. For me, I thought Gears 2 was a better game overall, even though KZ2 online action was very good.

LOL...your kidding right....people are still BELIEVING the myth that "a lot" of people bought a PS3 for its Blu ray Function only and NEVER have any plans to game on it?? If I recall correctly in 2009 from the numbers that Sony and MS gave us Sony sold more software for that year. There are also plenty of games that sell well on the PS3 and some multiplats like SF, Tomb Raider, DMC4 etc.. that actually sell more on the PS3. And of course for games that don't if you look at it percentage wise taking in to account fanbase size many times a larger percentage of the PS3's fanbase buys the game. Playstation has been a name synonymous with video games and video games have never been more popular, so to think that people would drop 300-600 dollars to be an early adapter to Blu ray and not game is ridiculous. It does BOTH and consumers most of the time would use BOTH features.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chutebox  Online

I know it's surprising, but OP keeps ignoring the legit reasons and Too Human.

Who would have thought!?

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

KittenWishes

Ok...Sony lied...what should we do then?

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

BigBoss154

Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to type exactly what you just said.

And for all you little kiddies that don't get it. The same rule applies to consoles.

Sales=/=quality.