Why the PS3 can't do cross-game chat

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44289 Posts

Who woulda thunk it ? :P

Seems odd their new handheld could do it. :o

Any thoughts ?

The Story.

---

Cross-game voice chat is not possible on the PlayStation 3 because of memory restrictions, Sony has revealed.

The PS3's RAM is gobbled up by the games it runs, which prevents the much-desired feature form being implemented, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer.

"Once a game gets RAM we never give it back," he said. "It's not possible to retrofit something like that after the fact."

As revealed by Eurogamer yesterday, PS Vita, due out in Europe early next year, actually has more RAM than the PS3.

Vita has 512MB of RAM and 128MB of V-RAM, compared to the PS3's 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM. This enables features such as cross-game voice chat to run in the background while games are being played.

On the PS3, however, things are different.

"The game has to use its own memory to do [in-game voice chat]. There's always voice chat in the game. But it's a part of a game feature. It's not a part of an OS feature. That's the reason in terms of the ability to have voice chat across different games."

So, voice chat is better on Vita than PS3?

"We totally agree!" Yoshida replied.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

yeowch, not surprising really as im pretty sure 360's one runs at the actual OS level :P

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

Well that sucks, guess we'll never have it on PS3 then.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Well that's that.
OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

Havent ever touched it on 360...wont on a PS3 either...I use Triton AX PROs and I sound-W**** so cross chat would annoy me

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

Havent ever touched it on 360...wont on a PS3 either...I use Triton AX PROs and I sound-W**** so cross chat would annoy me

OfficerLeach_
I use the same headsets. They actually work really well with cross game chat the game sound and voice sound are separated. Making it very easy to get the balance you want between the two.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
That's a shame, I guess we'll never get cross-game chat then.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts

I still think it's because MS has a patent on cross chat for consoles, and that this is just another excuse like the whole " we don't need rumble " excuse.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

I love cross-game chat.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

last straw for me with the ps3, when when i realized i couldn't game, while downloading a game. that instantly caused me sell that thing. you realize how spoil you become for years cause of steam, then going back to console gaming. its like console gaming is just far behind not just graphically.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Well seeing that P2P chat programs on the PC take up only a few MBs of ram, I'm not buying it.

Kantus_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kantus_Mage
Member since 2011 • 172 Posts

last straw for me with the ps3, when when i realized i couldn't game, while downloading a game. that instantly caused me sell that thing. you realize how spoil you become for years cause of steam, then going back to console gaming. its like console gaming is just far behind not just graphically.

Rahnyc4

You cant download while playing games? wow.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
I don't think I've ever used it on 360.I guess that sucks for people who want it though.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Well seeing that P2P chat programs on the PC take up only a few MBs of ram, I'm not buying it.

Wasdie

It still takes a few MBs so sony said games dont allow that few MBs. It could work if they started developing games to allow a few MBs to do cross game chat but it would only work on the new games.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
why do we even need a CGCt .... too many whinning
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44289 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

slipknot0129

It still takes a few MBs so sony said games dont allow that few MBs. It could work if they started developing games to allow a few MBs to do cross game chat but it would only work on the new games.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came away thinking after reading this story.

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OfficerLeach_

[QUOTE="OfficerLeach_"]

i5750at4Ghz

I use the same headsets. They actually work really well with cross game chat the game sound and voice sound are separated. Making it very easy to get the balance you want between the two.

Well i meant that anybody id WANT to hear would already be in the game with me and i could hear them anyway lol...say someones on a dif game and im clutching a 1v4 in COD trying to hear their footsteps and my buddy is just chatting away then id get pissed lol...maybe im just cranky like that...i dont like text chats for the same reason because they distract me.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

Thats sad, but its not a deal breaker.

yellerbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yellerbelly
Member since 2008 • 1008 Posts

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

Kantus_Mage

Yes, you can download in the background while playing games. not sure what Rahnyc4 experienced...and back on topic, I guess it's a shame that PSN won't get that feature, but I couldn't see myself using it anyway. I've never used it on my Live account.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I always thought cross game chat was stupid. I guess if you are playing a single player game and want to talk to someone it is ok but if you are online you should be calling things out or helping in game. The big thing I hate about it is it helps people cheat.
OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OfficerLeach_

[QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

yellerbelly

Yes, you can download in the background while playing games. not sure what Rahnyc4 experienced...

idk sometimes it would let me download while playing and sometimes not...same if i was in a video chat...im not sure the reasoning behind it...i first noticed i could while playing a disc-free game I had downloaded so maybe thats it??

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

yellerbelly

Yes, you can download in the background while playing games. not sure what Rahnyc4 experienced....

i don't know, i seem to have that problem all the time.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Honestly, the only game I ever cross game chatted in back when I had an X360 was Oblivion (which is a quality game, but has a lot of dead time). Generally speaking, in single player games I like to immerse myself in whatever soundscape the game makers have created, and in multiplayer games I like to be in contact with teammates.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="yellerbelly"][QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

OfficerLeach_

Yes, you can download in the background while playing games. not sure what Rahnyc4 experienced...

idk sometimes it would let me download while playing and sometimes not...same if i was in a video chat...im not sure the reasoning behind it...i first noticed i could while playing a disc-free game I had downloaded so maybe thats it??

From my experience, background downloads are stopped if you are playing online games. Which makes sense, since you wouldn't want your bandwidth being hogged by a dl while you are trying to play.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="yellerbelly"][QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

OfficerLeach_

If you're playing a game online or otherwise using the internet connection(using the browser doesn't count), the download will stop.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
No duh, we knew this for ages. Sony failed to plan properly their system OS for their network and hardware. Microsoft, on the other hand, didn't. at the same time, Microsoft's Xbox OS uses less resources then Sony's PS3 OS, yet the Xbox is more robust.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
No duh, we knew this for ages. Sony failed to plan properly their system OS for their network and hardware. Microsoft, on the other hand, didn't. at the same time, Microsoft's Xbox OS uses less resources then Sony's PS3 OS, yet the Xbox is more robust.ShadowDeathX
I wouldn't put it down to MS's planning but simply because they'd had online features in their previous console they entered with a far better base, Sony didn't predict that online would take off so well in the console world. You've got to remember Live has been around for 2 gens to PSN's 1.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Sony made a short-sighted decision to give the PS3 only 256 GB of ram. I know it has another 256 GB of dedicated video ram, but I don't think it would have killed them to spend a few bucks more to increase the regular ram too. That put PS3 multiplatform games at a disadvantage for a while, and it was always a bit of a handicap that developers had to work around. Hopefully ram will not be nearly as big of an issue on the next-gen systems.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
i couldnt care less so this does not bother me one bit
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Suppose they'll have to the OS footprint and dedicate the memory to cross game chat if that's really the explanation.

Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#31 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts

No problem, I don't chat much using my PS3 anyway...

brennanhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 brennanhuff
Member since 2011 • 957 Posts

No problem, I don't chat much using my PS3 anyway...

Khoo1992
You aren't the only one. Another reason I can't stand playing on PSN.
OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OfficerLeach_

[QUOTE="OfficerLeach_"]

[QUOTE="yellerbelly"] Yes, you can download in the background while playing games. not sure what Rahnyc4 experienced...Rockman999

If you're playing a game online or otherwise using the internet connection(using the browser doesn't count), the download will stop.

makes sense thanks for the info...no more keeping my ps3 on while i sleep or do something else lol...ill just play something offline...cant believe i never knew this already haha...dont download alot though

dachase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dachase
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

Cross game chat is overrated. If im playing online then i want to be talking to teammates not someone playing a different game. I bet you cross game chatters are the scrubs that go 2-24 in Black Ops or are too busy camping and talking to play objective modes properly.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I love cross-game chat.

Lto_thaG

Me too. It's awesome..I understand when people say they don't need it or whatever, but it has made coop gaming on the 360 far more enjoyable than anytime that I've spent on the PS3 doing the same thing. It makes setting up multi-game coop sessions a lot less cumbersome. Hell, we've even been able to swtich to PS3 games seamlessly using the 360's voice chat.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Wasdie

That and 360 didn't launch with Cross Game Chat

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heretrix

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

The__Havoc

That and 360 didn't launch with Cross Game Chat

Are sure about that? I remember having it for as long as I've owned one, which was 6 months after launch (May 2006).

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

I love cross-game chat.

heretrix

Me too. It's awesome..I understand when people say they don't need it or whatever, but it has made coop gaming on the 360 far more enjoyable than anytime that I've spent on the PS3 doing the same thing. It makes setting up multi-game coop sessions a lot less cumbersome. Hell, we've even been able to swtich to PS3 games seamlessly using the 360's voice chat.

This is a valid point, and I wish more people would pay attention to it.
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

slipknot0129

Well that would be fine with me, I'd rather have it on new games only than no games at all. :P

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

yeowch, not surprising really as im pretty sure 360's one runs at the actual OS level :P

razgriz_101
it does, along with voice chat in game, this is why some people don't udnerstand why live costs money, and its because its developed as part of the kernel i think (definitly part of the OS) either way its kind of sad that the systesm released with the ps3 taking up something like 90mb and 360 taking up 30, they slimmed down the ps3 os but still are bigger and have less features.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

even steam doesn't do this, it will pause all of the games... he's well informed
lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
This is not exactly news to me. I suspected this was the reason from the beginning. It's about time Sony admitted this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#43 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Rahnyc4
That depends on the game...
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

[QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

yellerbelly

Yes, you can download in the background while playing games. not sure what Rahnyc4 experienced...and back on topic, I guess it's a shame that PSN won't get that feature, but I couldn't see myself using it anyway. I've never used it on my Live account.

originally when the PS3 came out you couldn't play a game and download but that was during the first few months of the system coming out.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17881 Posts

Rahnyc4
er steam pauses any downloads when you play another game on steam. you can have steam downloading and play something else not on steam. but if you are downloading from steam and then play another game in your list then the download pauses. which is silly on steams part. probably an old remenant from the single core, need all CPU power for the game days. oddly enough the one area steam needs a complete overhaul is in the way it manages downloads imho. its not very clever as is. in fairness i think they are in the process of updating that side of steam now (it was mentioned in the last update). on topic. i see there point. the likes of uncharted 2 and 3 use every single bit of ram ND can get their hands on for example. if sony introduces something that takes up more ram then they have to free that ram up somewhere else at the OS level when a game is running. they cant go back and retweak every game to use less ram on the PS3. worse case scenario..they introduce it and everything starts crashing :S. i suspected that the 128MB of vram meant the vita was going to be more capable of multitasking. im guessing devs will have access to the 128MB of vram and 384MB or so of main ram. which is fine. the other 128MB will be for the OS, cross platform chat, possible seperate in game music (i.e. play your own music while playign a game) as standard, maybe browse dinternet while leaving a game running. the 3DS is similar...64 or 128MB of ram (thats a matter of a long term debate :P) and 32MB of ram for the OS and web browser which can run at the same time as a game. do devs have access to all 4 cores in the vita or is it only 3 with the 4th left in reserve for the OS?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

I love cross-game chat.

Timstuff

This is a valid point, and I wish more people would pay attention to it.

Yeah, I notice people are pretty shortsighted on the way it could be used.When I'm gaming with my friends I sometimes don't only play one game. It's nice not to have to go through the whole reconnecting to voice chat every single time.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 heretrix

[QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

savagetwinkie

even steam doesn't do this, it will pause all of the games... he's well informed

I don't think you can download and game on any of the services for the most part. I think XBL and PSN work the same way, if you are playing a game that has a multiplayer component, it will pause the dl when you access the multiplayer. If you are playing most single player games the download will continue in the background. I don't know why Steam doesn't do this.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="Kantus_Mage"]

I don't think you can download and game on any of the services for the most part. I think XBL and PSN work the same way, if you are playing a game that has a multiplayer component, it will pause the dl when you access the multiplayer. If you are playing most single player games the download will continue in the background. I don't know why Steam doesn't do this.

you can on some games, on xblive, i know because i've played while waiting for something to download, you can't do this at all with steam unless your using soemthing ouside of steam to play
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Sony made a short-sighted decision to give the PS3 only 256 GB of ram. I know it has another 256 GB of dedicated video ram, but I don't think it would have killed them to spend a few bucks more to increase the regular ram too. That put PS3 multiplatform games at a disadvantage for a while, and it was always a bit of a handicap that developers had to work around. Hopefully ram will not be nearly as big of an issue on the next-gen systems.Timstuff

256 GB RAM?? Are we in 2027 already? :o

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Cross game chat is overrated. If im playing online then i want to be talking to teammates not someone playing a different game. I bet you cross game chatters are the scrubs that go 2-24 in Black Ops or are too busy camping and talking to play objective modes properly.

dachase

It isn't at all overrated. Its a great feature.

In games with irksome teammates or games where few people talk, your experience takes a heavy blow lol.

It isn't hard at all to talk in a party and play a game, but I guess you wouldn't know that. :P