Why no Adolph Hitl*r in Civilization games ?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drakecool1
Member since 2009 • 1145 Posts

I love the civilization games and am hooked to Civilization IV for PC but I am just wondering why they don't put Hitler ? could it be because it's very controversial or they don't want to get sued.

even though I don't aprove of Hitlers acts it would be intriguing to build a german civilization with him in charge or to go to war against Hitler and the nazis and Germany.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
I really don't think there would be that many people wanting to build concentration camps and torture and kill innocent Jewish people. If that would be your idea of "intriguing", you might be a sick, sick person.
drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 drakecool1

I really don't think there would be that many people wanting to build concentration camps and torture and kill innocent Jewish people. If that would be your idea of "intriguing", you might be a sick, sick person.jalexbrown

I am not talking about concentration camps but history shows he was alive I am just saying to give the option to play him or play against him.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I really don't think there would be that many people wanting to build concentration camps and torture and kill innocent Jewish people. If that would be your idea of "intriguing", you might be a sick, sick person.drakecool1

I am not talking about concentration camps but history shows he was alive I am just saying to give the option to play him or play against him.

Concentration camps were part of his German empire, unfortunately. It was an unavoidable part of his success.
drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drakecool1

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I really don't think there would be that many people wanting to build concentration camps and torture and kill innocent Jewish people. If that would be your idea of "intriguing", you might be a sick, sick person.drakecool1

and another thing it's not like Salahadin, Napolean and leader of China were all saints themselves.

waiter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 waiter2
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

I can see where you're coming from here. While an absolutely horrible person, he still was an important historical figure.

Plus, they already let you play as Stalin and he was just as bad as Hitler.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Personally I wouldn't find millions upon millions of men, women, children experimented on, tortured, humiliated, brutalised and slaughtered as being intriguing.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Controversy. You said it yourself.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 drakecool1

[QUOTE="drakecool1"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I really don't think there would be that many people wanting to build concentration camps and torture and kill innocent Jewish people. If that would be your idea of "intriguing", you might be a sick, sick person.jalexbrown

Concentration camps were part of his German empire, unfortunately. It was an unavoidable part of his success.

I know and I am not condoning but most the dictators like Napolean and Saladin also killed many innocent people Hitler was a monster no doubt but so were many leaders that were put in the games.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
maybe in a century or so...
waiter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waiter2

Though yeah, the controversy wouldn't be worth it.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drakecool1

Personally I wouldn't find millions upon millions of men, women, children experimented on, tortured, humiliated, brutalised and slaughtered as being intriguing.

Vesica_Prime

where did I say that was intriguing im talking about playing him or against him in the game it's not like they will put those stuff you mentioned in the game .

so stalin and saladin are little angels who never hurt a fly ?

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jalexbrown

I can see where you're coming from here. While an absolutely horrible person, he still was an important historical figure.

waiter2

Stalin was just as bad as Hitler ? Way to trivialize the Holocaust and minimize the death of millions of people at the hands of Hitler.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
They should have put in Hitler Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. It just makes it stick out like a sore thumber (the fact that there's no Hitler that is).
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
Hitler was a great leader, but not a great objectives.
drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drakecool1

[QUOTE="waiter2"]

jalexbrown

Stalin was just as bad as Hitler ? Way to trivialize the Holocaust and minimize the death of millions of people at the hands of Hitler.

Do you know how many innocent Russians Stalin killed he was a brutal dictator himself.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

[QUOTE="waiter2"]

drakecool1

Do you know how many innocent Russians Stalin killed he was a brutal dictator himself.

I get your point. But basically, Hitler wasnt included because his acts are more widely knowned and would attract a hell of alot more controversy than Stalin.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 drakecool1

Hitler was a great leader, but not a great objectives.LOXO7

truth be told if Hitler wasn't a racist he would have been known today as one of the most powerful leaders in history he had great charisma what he wanted was to remove the occupying russians and stop the treaty of versai which he didn't feel the germans should have paid after they lost the first war hishatred was his downfall.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

[QUOTE="waiter2"]

drakecool1

You're actually going to try to play a numbers game to somehow try to walk away making Hitler look more moral than Stalin? The actual numbers are VERY close, perhaps less than a million deaths apart.
waiter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 waiter2

jalexbrown

When was I trivializing? Stalin killed milllions of Russians and Polish through the Gulags and Secret Police.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drakecool1

[QUOTE="drakecool1"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

jalexbrown

You're actually going to try to play a numbers game to somehow try to walk away making Hitler look more moral than Stalin? The actual numbers are VERY close, perhaps less than a million deaths apart.

look I am not trying to make anyone more moral I am just saying if they put a guy like Stalin and Saladin who killed millions of innocent people why not Hitler I am not minimising Hitlers killings I am just syaing he was a historical figure that cannot be ignored or pretend that he never existed.

waiter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 waiter2

You're actually going to try to play a numbers game to somehow try to walk away making Hitler look more moral than Stalin? The actual numbers are VERY close, perhaps less than a million deaths apart.jalexbrown

Nobody is saying one is worse than the other. They are equally evil people.

He in only is only questioning why one can be in a game and not the other.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
I really don't think there would be that many people wanting to build concentration camps and torture and kill innocent Jewish people. If that would be your idea of "intriguing", you might be a sick, sick person.jalexbrown
However, the Germans had state-of-the-art technology in the 20s-to-40s that was second to none and vastly superior to anything else.
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#24 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
Hitler is sick. He only had his incredible charisma that made Nazis did what they did. But well, I don't think anyone would love him anyway especially the developers. :( I have trouble running Civ IV on Vista. Even the patch allow me to play has bugs. :(
CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

mao zedong? genghis khan? stalin? at what point do you tip the scales where your atrocities become significant enough to be discluded from a video game roster? or is it a question of public knowledge of what youve done?

nm, this thread clearly demonstrates the latter is it

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

[QUOTE="waiter2"]

jalexbrown

Learn your history. Joseph Stalin initiated the great purge, killing roughly 1.2 million political opponents. Roughly 14 million of his own people starved to death while he refused to respond to their needs. Roughly nine and a half million were imprisoned or sent to concentration camps, which is extremely close to the number the Nazi's managed to hit. Some of the more extreme estimates put his kill count near 30 million, far more than the Nazi genocide.

Stalin was a madman. Stalin was easily as evil as hitler was. The circumstances surrounding the two were, however, very different. For starters, the USSR was essentially an invincible military force. Far more than Nazi germany could ever claim. The only reason you can't play as hitler in the Civ games is the huge taboo upon them, and the fact that the Nazis lost WWII and became the 20th century face of "the bad guy".

Backbonesalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Backbonesalsa
Member since 2009 • 148 Posts

Stalin also intentiously started famines, did not come to aid the Poles in the Warsaw uprising to get rid of as many anti communist Poles as possible,etc. He was just as bad as Hitler.

Edit: The post above is a better one about this argument than mine. Read that instead,

What do you think would have been Hitlers characteristics if he was included in Civ? I would guess Agressive/Organized and Charismatic.

There was also made a really good WWII mod for Civ IV: Beyond the sword, but Hitler was not in that one either, he was replaced by Vise Chancellor Von Papen.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Stalin also intentiously started famines, did not come to aid the Poles in the Warsaw uprising to get rid of as manyanti communist Poles as possible,etc. He was just as bad as Hitler.

Edit: The post above is a better one about this argument than mine. Read that instead,

What do you think would have been Hitlers characteristics if he was included in Civ. I would guess Agressive/Organized and Charismatic.

There was also made a really good WWII mod for Civ IV: Beyond the sword, but Hitler was not in that one either, he was replaced by Vise Chancellor Von Papen.

Backbonesalsa
Stalin back-stabbed Poland :(.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

[QUOTE="waiter2"]

semianonymous

Learn your history. Joseph Stalin initiated the great purge, killing roughly 1.2 million political opponents. Roughly 14 million of his own people starved to death while he refused to respond to their needs. Roughly nine and a half million were imprisoned or sent to concentration camps, which is extremely close to the number the Nazi's managed to hit. Some of the more extreme estimates put his kill count near 30 million, far more than the Nazi genocide.

Stalin was a madman. Stalin was easily as evil as hitler was. The circumstances surrounding the two were, however, very different. For starters, the USSR was essentially an invincible military force. Far more than Nazi germany could ever claim. The only reason you can't play as hitler in the Civ games is the huge taboo upon them, and the fact that the Nazis lost WWII and became the 20th century face of "the bad guy".

I've actually taken a whole course at college dedicated to World War 2-era history. The number of deaths associated with Stalin are very sketchy, ranging from extremely low (some credible historians think the number was under five million) to extremely high (as you said, other equally credible historians put the number at around 30 million). The number of people killed by Hitler among credible historians is much more consistent, ranging only from around 12 million to 15 million). The deaths of Soviets due to starvation are not really equal to those deaths caused by Adolf Hitler who very consciously gave very specific orders to have Nazi storm troopers kill or imprison Jews. Not only that, but those who died at the hands of the Nazis were tortured, humiliated, and experimented on prior to their death. They would shave the beards of orthodox Jews and tear up the Torah in front of devout Jewish inmates for entertainment; they would have children put bullets in their own parents' heads; and it is believed that there was also numerous instances of rape inside concentration camps as well. The conditions between the two are not very remotely comparable, in my opinion, and for you to insult my intelligence on the subject because of that is unfair.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Germany has some laws about representing Nazis in media and for the most part it isn't allowed. PC gaming is HUGE in Germany, therefore, do the math.

It the same reason the swastika flags disappeared from Day of Defeat when it when from beta to retail. It's the same reason most games use the German 'Iron Cross' instead of the swastika.

See here for more information:

"In the official lists, these three sections are always bundled, so that action games where the object is to kill Nazis (and thus contain swastika flags and/or any depiction of Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler) are listed alongside racist propaganda pieces."

KukicAdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 359

#32 KukicAdo
Member since 2008 • 973 Posts
It's really a double standard. While I don't really care either way if he was in there or not, personally wouldn't play with him, but other emperors/leaders in the Civ games have done some pretty brutal acts against civilians such as Stalin who killed how many of his own citizens? Way more than Nazi Germany ever did.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

the controversy surrounding such a decision would be enormous.Im sure there are mods that fit the bill i know they exist for Civ3.

Its a matter of controversy he did do some good like the autobahn and the idea of the peoples car but was dragged down by his fanatical extremism..if he wasnt so extremist and hell bent on the ayrian race thing then he would be considered a good leader not a faschist dictator cause some of the most modern advancements came from his rule like for example the motorway.

Not in any way do i support Nazism but a lot of people do forget things before the war even tho there was krystal nacht.Oh yeah my specialised subject when i did history at school was the interwar period of germany so i know a fair bit bout it.Best laugh is his hatred for jewish people stems from something extremely trivial.If he didnt hold that said grudge who knows.

But anyway this decision would be met with anger and most likely a ban in Germany due to the depiction of Nazi signs/emblems etc which im sure is a federal offense unless its for educational purposes which i can bet civ is not :P

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

Civilization has a tendency to only list great rulers.

Incidentally...

GREATEST LEADERS OF GERMANY:

Otto von Bismarck

Frederick II

Oh, wow, both of those are in the game.

WORST LEADERS OF GERMANY:

Wilhelm II

Adolf Hitler

Wow, look at that, neither of those are in the game.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

silly fear of controversy.

I mean..Stalin is in Civ games and he was at least as evil as Hitler if not actually worse

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdrianWerner

Incidentally...

Otto von Bismarck

Frederick II

Wilhelm II

Adolf Hitler

Brownesque

I would argue Hitler was pretty fricking great ruler, a monster and tyrant, but he turned crippled weak Germany into a force that almost conquered the whole Europe

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Brownesque
It's really a double standard. While I don't really care either way if he was in there or not, personally wouldn't play with him, but other emperors/leaders in the Civ games have done some pretty brutal acts against civilians such as Stalin who killed how many of his own citizens? Way more than Nazi Germany ever did. KukicAdo
Stalin also managed to industrialize his nation in a way no one prior had. He took a nation that, during World War 1 had been looked upon by the world as a third rate European power and turned it into a superpower. Stalin was also a jerk. Yet Stalin is in the game. Hitler was also a jerk, yet instead of making his nation great, he obliterated it as well as half the European continent. Hitler is not in the game. That's not a double standard, you just don't know what standard they are using. The standard is simple....great rulers are represented, terrible rulers are not. How much of a jerkface they were doesn't enter into the equation.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

Incidentally...

Otto von Bismarck

Frederick II

Wilhelm II

Adolf Hitler

Brownesque
And Mao Zedong makes the cut because....? It's a little sad to argue whether Hitler or Stalin killed more people, as Mao killed more than both of them combined. Hell, in 3 years he managed 30 million deaths. I don't want to declare outright that he deserves to be the in the game, but if you're picking powerful and famous leaders from countries, Hitler has to make the short list for Germany. I realize that a controversy might erupt by putting him in the game, but if you're going to eliminate all the famous leaders that slaughtered their own people or did some bad things as leader, you're going to have Warren Harding as your choice for the US and Wan Li as your choice for China. Both men accomplished nothing, but didn't kill anyone either. (yes, this was intended to be a bit of an exaggeration)
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]

Incidentally...

Otto von Bismarck

Frederick II

Wilhelm II

Adolf Hitler

AdrianWerner

I would argue Hitler was pretty fricking great ruler, a monster and tyrant, but he turned crippled weak Germany into a force that almost conquered the whole Europe

Hitler brought all of Europe nearly to ruin. Hitler was a brilliant and shrewd diplomat, but a horrible politician. He could have stalemated all the world and taken what he wanted, but instead he chose the option of greed and brought some of the most fantastic odds on a crippled and beleagured nation.

Germany was great before Wilhelm and Hitler immediately after the unification around Prussia, which was ENTIRELY the work of Frederick II and Otto von Bismarck. Germany was easily a top candidate for the most powerful nation in the world during World War 1. But any imbecile could see that what you do in that situation is not breaking non-aggression pacts and engaging in wars of aggression with multiple great powers on two fronts simultaneously. Hitler was a fantastically stupid ruler, and let's not get into his domestic policy.

He's simply not in Civilization IV because he brought a shadow over the entire world in every way and destroyed Germany more thoroughly than perhaps any man conceivably could have. You can count his blunders and contrive "what if" scenarios for every one of them, and the better options are always obvious.

Vadamee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vadamee
Member since 2009 • 1195 Posts

silly fear of controversy.

I mean..Stalin is in Civ games and he was at least as evil as Hitler if not actually worse

AdrianWerner
Exactly!(Though I understand why such content is banned) Joseph Stalin has Hitler beat as far as death toll goes.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdrianWerner

He's simply not in Civilization IV because he brought a shadow over the entire world in every way and destroyed Germany more thoroughly than perhaps any man conceivably could have. You can count his blunders and contrive "what if" scenarios for every one of them, and the better options are always obvious.

Brownesque

True, but you can't deny the influence he had. Plus Stalin is in game, and he made decisions that make Hitler's dumbed moves look like pure genius.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

waiter2
People tend to forget that about Stalin. :?
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]Hitler was a great leader, but not a great objectives.drakecool1

truth be told if Hitler wasn't a racist he would have been known today as one of the most powerful leaders in history he had great charisma what he wanted was to remove the occupying russians and stop the treaty of versai which he didn't feel the germans should have paid after they lost the first war hishatred was his downfall.

Racism was not his downfall, his ambition was, he was trying to do too much in so little time.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]

AdrianWerner

True, but you can't deny the influence he had. Plus Stalin is in game, and he made decisions that make Hitler's dumbed moves look like pure genius.

If by influence you mean he contrived allowances for the entirety of eastern Europe and half his country to become satellite states for the Soviet Union, then sure, he was influential. Hitler was a nauseating human being. He did virtually nothing positive, from economics to culture to politics to military....he made catastrophic bungles in every field and there was NOTHING positive about his rule, not a single damn thing.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jalexbrown
I don't wan't to start anything but Hitler is overrated. The only reason Hitler gets so much hate is because he killed Jews, it doesn't matter how many, noone would have cared had they been buddhist, muslim or christian. The sole reason why we(US) have troops in the M.E. is because of Israel not to fight terrorism;seriously WTF did Irap have to do with 9/11?Rockman999
Another conspiracy about how everything was blown out of proportion by the Jews? I'm Jewish myself, and I'm rather appalled and downright offended by this post.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AdrianWerner

a

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]

Brownesque

If by influence you mean he contrived allowances for the entirety of eastern Europe and half his country to become satellite states for the Soviet Union, then sure, he was influential. Hitler was a nauseating human being. He did virtually nothing positive, from economics to culture to politics to military....he made catastrophic bungles in every field and there was NOTHING positive about his rule, not a single damn thing.

I disagree, during his rule the german ecomony boomed and it kept during at least half of war. What positive effect Stalin had? At least Nazism lasted just few months, while Stalin made sure ther cancer of communism would keep half of the europe sick for almost half of century

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Because you would need god mode to beat it? In his defense, just as the guy who said Stalin might get away with not being blamed for millions, so can Hitler On the History channel they always mention how he had officers in charge of certain areas and it was up to them to do what they wanted with their prisoners. Of course he dropped them the hint that he hated jews and others...........
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="Rockman999"]I don't wan't to start anything but Hitler is overrated. The only reason Hitler gets so much hate is because he killed Jews, it doesn't matter how many, noone would have cared had they been buddhist, muslim or christian. The sole reason why we(US) have troops in the M.E. is because of Israel not to fight terrorism;seriously WTF did Irap have to do with 9/11?jalexbrown
Another conspiracy about how everything was blown out of proportion by the Jews? I'm Jewish myself, and I'm rather appalled and downright offended by this post.

Well..to be honest holocaust does overshadow some equally horrofic attrocies in current perception. But that's not because it's overblown in the eyes of the public, it's the other attrocities that aren't aprecieated enoigh

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="Rockman999"]I don't wan't to start anything but Hitler is overrated. The only reason Hitler gets so much hate is because he killed Jews, it doesn't matter how many, noone would have cared had they been buddhist, muslim or christian. The sole reason why we(US) have troops in the M.E. is because of Israel not to fight terrorism;seriously WTF did Irap have to do with 9/11?AdrianWerner

Well..to be honest holocaust does overshadow some equally horrofic attrocies in current perception. But that's not because it's overblown in the eyes of the public, it's the other attrocities that aren't aprecieated enoigh

That's fair enough, but the fact that the Holocaust overshadows those other tragedies is no fault of the Jewish people, past or present. The idea that it might be blown up by the Jewish people is sheer paranoia.