Why it's so difficult for Wii games to score AAA?

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

I want to know the reason, after Kirby only scored 8.5 Wii still get no AAAE after 2,5 years!! (Yeah I know SMG 2 scored AAAA, that's enough)

As for you to know, 360 had 36 AAA 8 exclusives and 33 AAA and 7 exclusives,

And Wii? Wii only had 8 AAA, 4 exclusives after 3,5 years!! You know, it's....pathetic, just bad:?

I think it's the Wii's fault, not the developers fault....

Because Wii is a last gen console, developers can't do awesome graphics on Wii, so that's why Wii third party are awful

And many Wii games are low budget games, almost all of Wii games didn't have multiplayer, heck many games even didn't had voice acting!!

Many considered Wii one of the console with WORST Libarary Ever, I think I'm kinda understand with them....

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

I want to know the reason, after Kirby only scored 8.5 Wii still get no AAAE after 2,5 years!! (Yeah I know SMG 2 scored AAAA, that's enough)

And Wii? Wii only had 8 AAA, 4 exclusives after 3,5 years!! You know, it's....pathetic, just bad:?

Because Wii is a last gen console, developers can't do awesome graphics on Wii, so that's why Wii third party are awful

And many Wii games are low budget games, almost all of Wii games didn't have multiplayer, heck many games even didn't had voice acting!!

Many considered Wii one of the console with WORST Libarary Ever, I think I'm kinda understand with them....

ihsanqueen

Really? That's the reason you think the Wii hasn't scored AAA games since then? *facepalm* That's not very logical. If the Wii can score a 10, why can't it get a 9? The reasons you stated make NO sense.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="ihsanqueen"]

nintendoboy16

Really? That's the reason you think the Wii hasn't scored AAA games since then? *facepalm* That's not very logical. If the Wii can score a 10, why can't it get a 9? The reasons you stated make NO sense.

Lmao. Thread over?
LightTheWay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LightTheWay
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts

Remember that the people who like Wii aren't a very demanding group. They don't care about graphics, they don't care about the bells & whistles like voice work. They don't care about mp. They don't care about the latest tech. So, of course, they aren't going to care about reviews. What do they care about? Simple fun for everyone. And you don't need high review scores to have that.

The Wii is all about enjoying simple games. And there's nothing wrong with that. But those types of games just aren't going to wow reviewers very often. I mean, look at WiiFit. It only got a 7 here at GS. But it is one of the most popular Wii games ever. But because reviewers value graphics over gameplay they undervalue the good points of Wiifit like its gameplay that is designed so that everyone can have fun. That' s really the great thing about Nintendo, they make games that everyone can play and enjoy. WiiFit is one of the best examples of that. But reviewers that are just into graphics can't see that. So Wii gets cheated out of high review scores over and over again.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I see nothing wrong with the 8.5 games the Wii has.
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#7 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

Bcawze GamSpot is teh buyus adn haet Wii

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Part of me wonders if kirby's epic yard could be done on the N64, hell the mario galaxy game originated from Yoshi's Island. There was some level were you fought the boss on some small planet that you can rotate through. Only games that push the limits should get AAAE

Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts

Remember that the people who like Wii aren't a very demanding group. They don't care about graphics, they don't care about the bells & whistles like voice work. They don't care about mp. They don't care about the latest tech. So, of course, they aren't going to care about reviews. What do they care about? Simple fun for everyone. And you don't need high review scores to have that.

The Wii is all about enjoying simple games. And there's nothing wrong with that. But those types of games just aren't going to wow reviewers very often. I mean, look at WiiFit. It only got a 7 here at GS. But it is one of the most popular Wii games ever. But because reviewers value graphics over gameplay they undervalue the good points of Wiifit like its gameplay that is designed so that everyone can have fun. That' s really the great thing about Nintendo, they make games that everyone can play and enjoy. WiiFit is one of the best examples of that. But reviewers that are just into graphics can't see that. So Wii gets cheated out of high review scores over and over again.

LightTheWay
So non wii gamers don't care about fun? It's easy to say that you don't care about sometbhing when you don't have it. I don't care for a ferrari, but i sure as hell wouldn't mind having one. NAME me one game that got a high review for only having good graphics, most games that look great also play great, i didn't keep on playing crysis, stalker, uncharted, Nuts and bolts or killzone 2 because it had good graphics, it's because they had tight controls. The graphics is just the sugar on top of it. What am i saying, im just feeding you.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#11 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

ihsanqueen

How is the Wii a last generation console?

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="ihsanqueen"]

How is the Wii a last genreration console?

Because he doesnt understand time lines.
loadedboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loadedboon
Member since 2004 • 1986 Posts

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="ihsanqueen"]

Dibdibdobdobo

How is the Wii a last genreration console?

Because he doesnt understand time lines.

Well using his own logic of why the WII is a last gen console then so are the PS3 and 360 compared to the PC. His reason for calling the WII a last gen console is so flawed and not even true.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Who cares? The difference between an 8.5 and a 9.0 is minimal. Hell, I don't even look at the numbers when I see reviews. Theres this thing called 'reading', its much more effective then just looking at the score and saying "FLOP!" or "HYPE MET!"
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#15 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Not sure if serious.

The old graphics argument? Why is it then that recent games such as Monster Hunter Tri, Red Steel 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Kirby: Epic Yarn all got praised for their visuals? I know visuals and graphics are not entirely the same, but if the reviewers were visually appealed by those games, it seems hard to believe that graphics are what separates a 8.5 from a 9.0. Especially since SMG2 actually got a straight 10.

The real reason is that most Wii games are rather niche, and are more experimental, 'you'll dig it if it's up your alley' kind of games, and those usually end up in the AA region, seeing as a 9 usually means that a game is a MUST buy, no matter what your tastes are. The fact that the Wii hasn't had such titles apart from SMG2 doesn't mean it has a bad library. It merely indicates that you have to do some research before buying games to see what appeals to you, and if you do that, you might encounter many unforgettable titles on the console.

Of course, some people wouldn't know that as theyseem to suffer from grade fetishism and focus so much attention on relying on other people's opinions that they forget forming their own. Sound familiar?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="ihsanqueen"]

nintendoboy16

i think this is too much logic for SW to handle. plus, who cares about the games missing half a point in the final score? they're still labeled "great" by gamespot standards, and if the wii has tons of "great" games, then it's great.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i think nintendo is the only company that doesnt want to change its ways and makes old school games... problem is.. newschool gamers want action movie like experiences(which is awesome too btw)

hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts

Bcawze GamSpot is teh buyus adn haet Wii

skinny_man_69
Lol, true.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I really couldn't tell you. Maybe Wii devs need to step their game up. Maybe GS does it to screw with sheep.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
Because they are too busy scoring AA and AAAA? Why not just play the games instead of playing scores? :?
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

What are you talking about, the Wii scores 9's all the time, on other websites. It's GameSpot that is the problem, and people who care too much about scores.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Because of the games themselves, despite having some AAAs and an AAAA.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
I have to stop playing Monster Hunter Tri as it didnt get AAA. 200 Hours of my life wasted......
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

Part of me wonders if kirby's epic yard could be done on the N64, hell the mario galaxy game originated from Yoshi's Island. There was some level were you fought the boss on some small planet that you can rotate through. Only games that push the limits should get AAAE

mahlasor
How about games that are really good should get AAAE? How the hell did Super Mario Galaxy originate from Yoshi's Island? Is it because Mario rides Yoshi? That makes no sense. Gamespot also said that the visuals on Kirby's Epic Yarn are so impressive, no just artistically but in terms of textures and lighting that it's hard to believe it's the Wii producing them. The N64 could definitely not run it.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 oldkingallant

i think nintendo is the only company that doesnt want to change its ways and makes old school games... problem is.. newschool gamers want action movie like experiences(which is awesome too btw)

KBFloYd
Real gamers don't care as long as the game is good.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#26 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There are plenty of Games that are AAA worthy but are scored in the AA. (like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri)

But there are reason as to why they are scored that way, either they are incredably niche or they don't improve what they did in the past (if it's a sequel).

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Fact of the matter is what you want is bettergames. Its beyond stupid to simply care that an 8.5 isn't a 9. The game itself is going to be the exact same. Wii games all have a lot of the same flaws according to gamespot, its simply something that the devs either need to work on or face AA. Its no biggie, I want more great games, not just AAA for the sake of AAA.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

I have to stop playing Monster Hunter Tri as it didnt get AAA. 200 Hours of my life wasted......Dibdibdobdobo

I need to buy this game... It looks so awesome.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 oldkingallant

[QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]I have to stop playing Monster Hunter Tri as it didnt get AAA. 200 Hours of my life wasted......lundy86_4

I'd advise trying it first, rent or borrow it before buying. It's fun but it takes so long to get into it if there are any other games you're playing you'll get sidetracked early. Happened to me. I'll play it later when there's nothing else to play and I can fully enjoy it, if you find out the beginning is boring too you can wait for the price to go down.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Because if those games were to score AAA than people would say that they are overrated.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
All the AA's it gets are satisfying.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

Well ask the question differently. How come its so easy for games like Halo ODST, Gears 2, MW2 to get AAA when it is clear that those games werent that special.. oh those games are teh HD!!!

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

[QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]I have to stop playing Monster Hunter Tri as it didnt get AAA. 200 Hours of my life wasted......lundy86_4

Dude get it...its too much fun.

As for TC, they don't get AAA because the reviewer doesn't think it's worthy of AAA on this specific site I'm guessing.

Well ask the question differently. How come its so easy for games like Halo ODST, Gears 2, MW2 to get AAA when it is clear that those games werent that special.. oh those games are teh HD!!!

farnham

MW2 and Gears of War 2 are excellent games. Especially Gears.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 farnham

im tempted to get the European version for the free online I am such a sucker for buying the japanese version.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 farnham

There are plenty of Games that are AAA worthy but are scored in the AA. (like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri)

But there are reason as to why they are scored that way, either they are incredably niche or they don't improve what they did in the past (if it's a sequel).

LegatoSkyheart
Limbo is niche as well but it got AAA (btw another example of a game that does not really deserve the score it got)
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 farnham
MW2 and Gears of War 2 are excellent games. Especially Gears.

bobcheeseball
the predecessors were great. MW2 and Gears 2 are mere expansion packs that just do the same thing over again. (noted how you seem to agree with ODST)
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 farnham

What are you talking about, the Wii scores 9's all the time, on other websites. It's GameSpot that is the problem, and people who care too much about scores.

Zen_Light
this cant be stressed enough. GS has a clear platform bias.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

farnham

Limbo is niche as well but it got AAA (btw another example of a game that does not really deserve the score it got)

It is boggling that Limbo gets a AAA score but not a Boy and his Blob.

AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

Get out of System Wars every once in a while. You talk as if Wii has a shortage of quality exclusives. These abundant of 8.5s here are scoring AAA in other sites and publications. So in the real world, they are held to a high regard.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

farnham
this cant be stressed enough. GS has a clear platform bias.

I think that 10 for SMG2 proves that they DON'T have a platform bias.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]MW2 and Gears of War 2 are excellent games. Especially Gears.

farnham

the predecessors were great. MW2 and Gears 2 are mere expansion packs that just do the same thing over again. (noted how you seem to agree with ODST)

First of all they don't do the same thing over again. They both have fun campaigns and a very expansive multiplayer portions of the game which changes things up. I hardly played MW but I can say Gears 2 added Horde mode and IMO a better campaign.

I can't comment on ODST because I haven't played it.

And by your logic, couldn't I argue that Super Mario Galaxy 2 does the same thing over again?

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 farnham

[QUOTE="farnham"][QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]MW2 and Gears of War 2 are excellent games. Especially Gears.

bobcheeseball

First of all they don't do the same thing over again. They both have fun campaigns and a very expansive multiplayer portions of the game which changes things up. I hardly played MW but I can say Gears 2 added Horde mode and IMO a better campaign.

And by your logic, couldn't I argue that Super Mario Galaxy 2 does the same thing over again?

exactly i dont like SMG2 that much because of that. And i dont really think they have good campaigns at all. Especially MW2s campaign was short and dissapointing especially compared to MW1
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
You know what i think? "Arguments" like these usually stop once members go past the 500 post mark. Better ones usually follow once they get more "invested" in these forums, mainly because no-one wants to be the 3000 + post troll everyone tries to avoid. You better shape up OP, 476 and counting.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#44 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Because Nintendo doesn't need to make AAA games to have good sales and most of the 3rd party efforts aren't so hot.
Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Because reviewers hate Nintendo/Wii. This has been discussed a long time ago. There are a bunch of Wii games that deserve a higher score than what they got.

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

Wii has motion controls, poor online gaming and graphics. Unless the dev really puts in the effort it's hard to get these right.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#47 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]

[QUOTE="farnham"] the predecessors were great. MW2 and Gears 2 are mere expansion packs that just do the same thing over again. (noted how you seem to agree with ODST)farnham

exactly i dont like SMG2 that much because of that. And i dont really think they have good campaigns at all. Especially MW2s campaign was short and dissapointing especially compared to MW1

It's not expansions, it's just what sequals are. If you don't like it, stop buying sequals. If the sequals played radically different then the dev might as well have made a new game series entirely instead.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 farnham

[QUOTE="farnham"][QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]

vashkey

It's not expansions, it's just what sequals are. If you don't like it, stop buying sequals. If the sequals played radically different then the dev might as well have made a new game series entirely instead.

there are sequels that did a lot more then MW2 or Gears 2 though. Think about Resident Evil 4, DMC3, God of War 2 or MGS3 those games did not just take the same game and added some levels to it. Those games refined the mechanics and improved or changed the game radically over what was there unlike those examples i gave.

seriously Starcraft BroodWar or Warcraft 3 Frozenthrone are probably better "sequels" then MW2 or gears 2

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Bcawz Wee haz no gamez
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ Because there is no need to make good games for the console. That is not the selling point of the console. What sells is the motion control gimmick. There is not incentive for a developer to make an AAA quality game for the system. The developers are lazy and for good reason. Game developers don't take the Wii seriously- mostly because the people that play the wii arent even real gamers. A lot of them are casual gamers like grandma and mom. ▲