Why is the 3DS top screen so small? So they make 10 versions again?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
Better question would be why does the 3DS use the exact outdated touchscreen from the original DS?
93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Better question would be why does the 3DS use the exact outdated touchscreen from the original DS? runbleduck

No, just no again.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

It's not that big of a deal man, if you've been playing handhelds for a long time this isn't even an issue. Once you get absorbed you don't notice.

Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Nubukon
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="right4dead"]

they were all big no matter what version you got.

they can easily make it a big 5 inch screen but choose not to.

right4dead

Nice big brick sticking out of my pocket. Hello ladies.

are you serious? the 3ds is just as big as the psp2, the onyl difference is the 3ds screen is so small, they have room on both sides of the screen but chose to make it 3.5 inches again.

Are you serious? The NGP is bigger than the PSP, which is bigger than the DSi, which is slightly bigger (longer) than the 3DS. They're not at all the same size, not even comparable.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

are you serious? the 3ds is just as big as the psp2, the onyl difference is the 3ds screen is so small, they have room on both sides of the screen but chose to make it 3.5 inches again.

right4dead

Actually the 3DS is somehow smaller than the DS Lite

Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Nubukon

[QUOTE="right4dead"]

ZIVX

Actually the 3DS is somehow smaller than the DS Lite

lol, thank you for making my point.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#57 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts
[QUOTE="right4dead"]

Look how much oom there is on the sides of the 3ds top screen, this means that nintendo will milk it again and make 10 different versions that sport slightly bigger screens each time.

u know theyre going to....they do it with consoles....its like a trend
Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Nubukon

[QUOTE="right4dead"]

Look how much oom there is on the sides of the 3ds top screen, this means that nintendo will milk it again and make 10 different versions that sport slightly bigger screens each time.

youngmurk911

It seems to be a common trend amongst all consoles nowadays. Granted, Nintendo does it the most.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I like the screen size, I think it's very nice for a portable game system. The GBA and the original DS had even smaller screens and that never stopped them from being awesome.
FatCatPatRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 FatCatPatRat
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

[QUOTE="wasted_wisdom"] I understand the DS outsold the crap out of the PSP but I've only seen one guy playing a DS in public. SO it's either DS owners are ashamed of their handheld or there's something going on somewhereright4dead

i've seen 3 DS's at my work in the past week

i've seen maybe one PSP in public like EVER...lol

different areas, different tastes

no just no, where i live all i seen is psp's , and whoever uses a ds is a child. truth.

well i got some shocking news for you...

children are people too.

shocking, right?

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="youngmurk911"][QUOTE="right4dead"]

They don't do it with consoles.
specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 specialzed
Member since 2007 • 682 Posts

[QUOTE="right4dead"]

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

i've seen 3 DS's at my work in the past week

i've seen maybe one PSP in public like EVER...lol

different areas, different tastes

FatCatPatRat

no just no, where i live all i seen is psp's , and whoever uses a ds is a child. truth.

children are people too.

shocking, right?

Very true, its also true that I've seen more people at my work and around town playing PSP than DS's however this is most likely because im no longer in grade school. When I went to pick up my 6th grade brother from elementry alot of kids had their DS's out. In fact I havent seen one adult using a DS in public and im alot more inclided to believe that they would be more embarassed using a DS in public rather than a PSP.
FatCatPatRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FatCatPatRat
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

[QUOTE="FatCatPatRat"]

[QUOTE="right4dead"]

specialzed

children are people too.

shocking, right?

Very true, its also true that I've seen more people at my work and around town playing PSP than DS's however this is most likely because im no longer in grade school. When I went to pick up my 6th grade brother from elementry alot of kids had their DS's out. In fact I havent seen one adult using a DS in public and im alot more inclided to believe that they would be more embarassed using a DS in public rather than a PSP.

but that doesnt change the fact that children are people too :?

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#64 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

The way the 3DS is built I can see there won't be as many revisions as previous Nintendo handhelds where the first design had obvious flaws, 3DS already comes thin, with cameras, a backlight, etc.

The only revisions I can see in the future is a thin version with more battery, and then probably a version with a bigger screen.

Also this is a good read. :www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-nintendo-not-planning-a-3ds-lite

TheRealLisaAnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 TheRealLisaAnn
Member since 2010 • 160 Posts
a 3DS XL with 5" screen would be nice. A company once made screen magnifiers for the GBA and then stopped doing them for the DS/DSi. Anyone know why that is? I would have bought one.
right4dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 right4dead
Member since 2010 • 1062 Posts

You people aren't getting my point, mym point was take a look at a 3DS opened, the top screen has ALOT of room on the sides of the screen, and that room is not being used at all.

we all know they will make 10 different versions with slightly bigger screens.

im saying they could have made the SCREEN bigger, but chose not to, for "some reason".

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

You people aren't getting my point, mym point was take a look at a 3DS opened, the top screen has ALOT of room on the sides of the screen, and that room is not being used at all.

im saying they could have made the SCREEN bigger, but chose not to, for "some reason".

right4dead
You do realise that the PSP had an equal number of revisions in a lesser amount of time, right?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#68 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

right4dead

They Choose not to because it's not needed.

Besides where will the speakers go?

shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="right4dead"]

they were all big no matter what version you got.

they can easily make it a big 5 inch screen but choose not to.

wasted_wisdom

Nice big brick sticking out of my pocket. Hello ladies.

I understand the DS outsold the crap out of the PSP but I've only seen one guy playing a DS in public. SO it's either DS owners are ashamed of their handheld or there's something going on somewhere

This, and who the hell carries a DS in their pocket? My sister has a DSi and while you can fit it in your pocket, it looks like a huge brick in your pants, and since it doesn't even replace a music player or phone or anything, it's taking space that could be used for other things. I always have my phone in my right pocket, iPod Touch in my left and wallet in my back. A 3DS would be annoying to carry around with you all the time, especially in a back pocket. When I get my NGP (and eventually 3DS) I'm going to keep it IN MY BAG. When I feel like playing I'll take it out and start playing. Not a hassle.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Better question would be why does the 3DS use the exact outdated touchscreen from the original DS? runbleduck
Until you can actually draw on them with a fine, pen-like stylus, a capacitive touchscreen cannot completely replace a resistive one. Keep in mind that the 3DS is backwards compatible.

Also just try telling many Asian consumers that their resistive touch screens are outdated. Even though for the aforementioned fact they are far superior for inputing the many thousands of characters that constitute their written languages.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
Sony really is god in these forums. They can do no wrong.
Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

Sony really is god in these forums. They can do no wrong.nintendo-4life

Not really, alot of people criticise Sony. It's only the fanboys that act like this.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]PSP2 is not made for people with baby hands.Willy105
Or pockets.

Or portable gaming in general... cmon take a look at the PSP and its available games and tell me that it HONESTLY was well designed for handheld gaming....
flipdc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 flipdc5
Member since 2005 • 1312 Posts

right4dead

They could make it bigger but whats the point? As far as i know, the resolution will be the same if they get a big screen but now with more jaggies (dsxl). As bad as the 3ds battery life is, it makes worse with a bigger screen.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#75 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41568 Posts
They didn't make 10 versions of the DS. DS Original, DS Lite, DSI, DSi XL, and that's it.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#76 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

DS screens were big enough for me.
Even shorter battery life?

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

The way the 3DS is built I can see there won't be as many revisions as previous Nintendo handhelds where the first design had obvious flaws, 3DS already comes thin, with cameras, a backlight, etc.

The only revisions I can see in the future is a thin version with more battery, and then probably a version with a bigger screen.

Also this is a good read. :www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-nintendo-not-planning-a-3ds-lite

FIipMode
its nintendo so they will find a way to release another revision. i bet you the next model they release will have Tilt Sensitive Controls built in.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#78 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="FIipMode"]

LP4EVA2005
its nintendo so they will find a way to release another revision. i bet you the next model they release will have Tilt Sensitive Controls built in.

I thought this model has tilt sensitive controls built in as well?
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

right4dead

I hate portable gaming "handhelds" and I have never bought one..Never will more than likely..AND I agree...This is one reason I will never get into handheld gaming. They launch these things then in 6 months they "redesign" them then 6 months later they do it all again..A waste of time and money.

FoShizzle17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80 FoShizzle17
Member since 2006 • 2170 Posts

[QUOTE="FatCatPatRat"]

[QUOTE="right4dead"]

specialzed

children are people too.

shocking, right?

They're embarrassed because, well lets face it, it looks like a kids toy! I've also never seen and adult using a DS, only young children - a lot of little girls.

But then again I haven't seen that many adults playing PSP, or young children. In fact, I haven't seen many people playing PSP at all, haha. Most adults just play minigames on their smartphones.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ThePlothole
its nintendo so they will find a way to release another revision. i bet you the next model they release will have Tilt Sensitive Controls built in.LP4EVA2005
3DS already has a built-in accelerometer and gyro.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

right4dead

Sony fanboys. What wont they complain about?

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ThePlothole

Sony fanboys. What wont they complain about?

Zophar87

"Five hundred and ninty-nine US dollars."

Unless it had been someone from Microsoft or Nintendo who said it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#84 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="FIipMode"]

LP4EVA2005

There's already Tilt Sensitive Controls in the 3DS.

The Next Revision will only have better Battery Life.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#85 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26112 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"][QUOTE="FIipMode"]

LegatoSkyheart

There's already Tilt Sensitive Controls in the 3DS.

The Next Revision will only have better Battery Life.

Yeah. Even Iwata said they see no reason to upgrade it for a while, they tried to get as much stuff inside for launch. Looks like the only thing we can plan for is more colors (which I would like).
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts
They want to milk their fanbase.
sherlock99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#87 sherlock99
Member since 2005 • 1600 Posts

[QUOTE="FIipMode"]

LP4EVA2005

lol shows how much you know about the 3ds :lol: