Why is Sony the only one improving gameplay that is taxing on the console

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 momentum_god
Member since 2011 • 779 Posts

I know 90% of you won't read past the title but I'll try to explain for the 10% that will, better hardware means more potential in gameplay and in graphics, now the wii is tapped out, 360 is debaitable and pc isn't even close, yet Sony on the ps3 are the only ones pushing the hardware advantages in gameplay, every round of exclusives is better gameplay wise then the last adding more and more elements, multiplat devs do improve the gameplay but not through means of pushing the hardware not lately just creative deceisions (for lack of a better term) and pc devs don't even make an effort, as for MS I doubt their devs would be capable regardless of their system was maxed out or not, I know people are shiny graphics focused but still it really sucks when people say that crysis is the most advanced game when it has such dated gameplay machinics technically speaking no matter how shiny it is I want better gameplay not shinier dirt

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

*laughs* because gameplay is objectively measured right? and not subjective....

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

There is nothing hardware pushing about gameplay on PS3 games. None at all. Zero, Zilch and you are WRONG if you think otherwise.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Please explain how they are doing this, I read the OP and you never once explained it, just stated it.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WilliamRLBaker
Please explain how they are doing this, I read the OP and you never once explained it, just stated it.soulitane
I think he's trying to make the same old addage that the 360 is a shooter console every game on it is a shooter...no other genre's are represented.
momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 momentum_god

WilliamRLBaker
gameplay elements can be
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Have you ever played on the pc, the pc games are pushing the gameplays, with tons of different new ways

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Kinda wondering that myself.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

momentum_god

gameplay elements can be

Gameplay is completely subjective what appeals to one person might not appeal to another, Technical graphics can be scored fps, resolution, polygons..etc

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 momentum_god

This is the kind of thread where examples would help. You're wrong either way though.

Slashkice

Killzone 3 over killzone 2, used the extra prossing power from the optimizations to add in move, 3D AND more importantly a new combat system push the jetpack levels

Uncharted 3 is going to have destructible environments, and a ton of other stuff I would point out if I read up more on it

Infamous 2 faster gameplay, flows better expecting more improvements

Lair had hundreds of AI on screen at once both friendly and foe and they had to interact with each other and react to everything you did

God of War 3 supported more enemies on screen at once thats about it for obvious examples

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

Separating the OP into distinct sentences would help, as would having a coherent argument. Also, Crysis had gameplay elements that were new and different from the majority of your military/scifi shooters at the time (mainly COD and Halo).

Of course, if this was a troll topic, disregard my post and have a cookie.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 momentum_god

[QUOTE="momentum_god"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

WilliamRLBaker

gameplay elements can be

Gameplay is completely subjective what appeals to one person might not appeal to another, Technical graphics can be scored fps, resolution, polygons..etc

More enemies on screen, more advanced AI, destructible environments, game capable of handling multiple different types of attacks in rapid succession without slowing down are all gameplay elements which are limited/effected by hardware

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 momentum_god

Separating the OP into distinct sentences would help, as would having a coherent argument. Also, Crysis had gameplay elements that were new and different from the majority of your military/scifi shooters at the time (mainly COD and Halo).

rpgs_shall_rule
2 games do not make a majority
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

There is nothing hardware pushing about gameplay on PS3 games. None at all. Zero, Zilch and you are WRONG if you think otherwise.

ActicEdge

You've obiously never played a ps3 before. Demon's souls exists for a reason.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 momentum_god

Have you ever played on the pc, the pc games are pushing the gameplays, with tons of different new ways

James161324
all of which are creative choices none of them push the hardware
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

This is the kind of thread where examples would help. You're wrong either way though.

momentum_god

Killzone 3 over killzone 2, used the extra prossing power from the optimizations to add in move, 3D AND more importantly a new combat system push the jetpack levels Uncharted 3 is going to have destructible environments, and a ton of other stuff I would point out if I read up more on it Infamous 2 faster gameplay, flows better expecting more improvements Lair had hundreds of AI on screen at once both friendly and foe and they had to interact with each other and react to everything you did God of War 3 supported more enemies on screen at once thats about it for obvious examples

lair was a horrible game and its AI on screen could be best described as card board cutouts that did much of nothing. they needed extra power to impliment a new combat system? *which wasn't actually new just had additions to the old for the most part* they needed extra processing to do move? *which is useless the controller still works best*

How bout you realize that hardware power doesn't make gameplay hardware particulars like controller and software elements created by the system maker and the developers imagination make better and newer gameplay. The 360 has a load of genres in gameplay represented looking at retail, xbla, indie releases its not like the ps3 is pushing the boundries like no other the truely unique stuff like *flower* seem to be more like Sony paid for games where they were trying to get every one to believe their shoe horned motion control six axis was a worthwhile investment instead of a developed in a months time grab at Nintendo hype so they got someone to make a game centered around that motion sensing.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
[QUOTE="James161324"]

momentum_god

About your example of many enemies on screen, have you seen the total war games? That pushed the hardware considering it can have up to 50,000 (I think) troops on the battlefield.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

edo-tensei

Demon's souls could never be done on any other system right? :roll:

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rpgs_shall_rule

[QUOTE="rpgs_shall_rule"]

momentum_god

2 games do not make a majority

Fine, let's add SOCOM, Battlefield, and CSS there too...

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 momentum_god

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

edo-tensei

actually demon souls has nothing hardware pushing about it, it was a budget game believe it or not lol, just more proof that making a great game doesn't require pushing hardware but I'd rather the big budget games push gameplay elements then graphics
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

momentum_god

Killzone 3 over killzone 2, used the extra prossing power from the optimizations to add in move, 3D AND more importantly a new combat system push the jetpack levels (Halo Reach had plenty of new stuff aswell though i'll give you 3D and Move)

Uncharted 3 is going to have destructible environments, and a ton of other stuff I would point out if I read up more on it (awesome but scripted, just like UC2)

Infamous 2 faster gameplay, flows better expecting more improvements (what is this, i dont even ... )

Lair had hundreds of AI on screen at once both friendly and foe and they had to interact with each other and react to everything you did (Kameo a first gen 360 game had thousands of mobs on screen, as did Ninty nine nights, not sure if its the same as i avoided Lair like the plague)

God of War 3 supported more enemies on screen at once thats about it for obvious examples. (more enemies on screen = advancing gameplay. Nope not seeing it, sorry)

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by some of these ?

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 momentum_god
[QUOTE="momentum_god"][QUOTE="James161324"]

soulitane

About your example of many enemies on screen, have you seen the total war games? That pushed the hardware considering it can have up to 50,000 (I think) troops on the battlefield.

rts are not real time, it's one AI that controls a bunch of troops not tons of advanced AI that have to react to you and each other
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rpgs_shall_rule

[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="momentum_god"] all of which are creative choices none of them push the hardware momentum_god

rts are not real time, it's one AI that controls a bunch of troops not tons of advanced AI that have to react to you and each other

Real time strategy games are not in real time?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

edo-tensei

Demon Souls is a) ugly and b) not hardware taxing at all.

Also, I've played a PS3 many many times.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Snugenz

[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="momentum_god"] all of which are creative choices none of them push the hardware momentum_god

:lol:

Thats the best one yet, Real TimeStrategy games arent real time. :lol:

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 edo-tensei

[QUOTE="edo-tensei"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

WilliamRLBaker

Demon's souls could never be done on any other system right? :roll:

You can say that for any game on any system mr. lem.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 momentum_god

[QUOTE="momentum_god"]

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

Snugenz

Killzone 3 over killzone 2, used the extra prossing power from the optimizations to add in move, 3D AND more importantly a new combat system push the jetpack levels (Halo Reach had plenty of new stuff aswell though i'll give you 3D and Move)

Uncharted 3 is going to have destructible environments, and a ton of other stuff I would point out if I read up more on it (awesome but scripted, just like UC2)

Infamous 2 faster gameplay, flows better expecting more improvements (what is this, i dont even ... )

Lair had hundreds of AI on screen at once both friendly and foe and they had to interact with each other and react to everything you did (Kameo a first gen 360 game had thousands of mobs on screen, as did Ninty nine nights, not sure if its the same as i avoided Lair like the plague)

God of War 3 supported more enemies on screen at once thats about it for obvious examples. (more enemies on screen = advancing gameplay. Nope not seeing it, sorry)

Killzone 3 I know for a fact took up more processing power for the things I listed, are you sure the same is true about reach? Uncharted 3 I don't think they will be scripted limited of course but I think the player will be the one to trigger it,as for infamous if you played one and the beta for 2 you'd know, it's hard to explain but definitely requires faster processing, dynasty warriors type AI is incredibly simplistic to the point where numbers don't matter Lairs was far more complex, how many more?
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 edo-tensei

[QUOTE="edo-tensei"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

What do visuals have to do with pushing gameplay foward?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Mind=blown.

What? It even says real time for it's name.:|

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Snugenz

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="momentum_god"] Killzone 3 over killzone 2, used the extra prossing power from the optimizations to add in move, 3D AND more importantly a new combat system push the jetpack levels (Halo Reach had plenty of new stuff aswell though i'll give you 3D and Move)

momentum_god

Killzone 3 I know for a fact took up more processing power for the things I listed, are you sure the same is true about reach? Uncharted 3 I don't think they will be scripted limited of course but I think the player will be the one to trigger it,as for infamous if you played one and the beta for 2 you'd know, it's hard to explain but definitely requires faster processing, dynasty warriors type AI is incredibly simplistic to the point where numbers don't matter Lairs was far more complex, how many more?

How much more processing power did KZ3 use then? And yes the destruction is scripted in UC3, though yes the scripted events will be triggered by the player.

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="momentum_god"][QUOTE="soulitane"]

About your example of many enemies on screen, have you seen the total war games? That pushed the hardware considering it can have up to 50,000 (I think) troops on the battlefield.mitu123

Mind=blown.

sig worthy for sure.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 momentum_god

[QUOTE="momentum_god"][QUOTE="soulitane"] About your example of many enemies on screen, have you seen the total war games? That pushed the hardware considering it can have up to 50,000 (I think) troops on the battlefield.Snugenz

Not really I don't know maybe, either way it's not as taxing as an action game, the gameplay is too slow in rts, yeah I'm wrong it's real time but it's incredibly slow paced and the troops just do one or two things theres only one AI
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Snugenz

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="momentum_god"] rts are not real time, it's one AI that controls a bunch of troops not tons of advanced AI that have to react to you and each othertempest91

Mind=blown.

sig worthy for sure.

Indeed, actually now that i read into it more and follow the quotes, i think the TC is saying Lair>Shogun Total War. :lol:

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="edo-tensei"] You've obiously never played a ps3 before. Demon's souls exists for a reason.

edo-tensei

Because the thread was on using hardware to push gameplay forward. Demon souls is ugly so it certainly isn't taxing the PS3 and the actual gameplay and conbat is also simple. Its comparable to MH which also is not a taxing game.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

[QUOTE="momentum_god"][QUOTE="soulitane"] About your example of many enemies on screen, have you seen the total war games? That pushed the hardware considering it can have up to 50,000 (I think) troops on the battlefield.mitu123

Mind=blown.

When PSN is down RTS is not Real time.
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rpgs_shall_rule
Anyways, to put it into perspective, each of the possible 56k units on a battlefield is it's own entity, complete with AI, physics, etc. Let's see your beloved Infamous 2 and its what, 10 active enemies be able to match that.
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 edo-tensei

[QUOTE="edo-tensei"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Because the thread was on using hardware to push gameplay forward. Demon souls is ugly so it certainly isn't taxing the PS3 and the actual gameplay and conbat is also simple. Its comparable to MH which also is not a taxing game.

Then no game will ever be "taxing" on any console if your statement is true. But who knows we're not devs or anything like that.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 momentum_god

[QUOTE="momentum_god"][QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Snugenz

How much more processing power did KZ3 use then? And yes the destruction is scripted in UC3, though yes the scripted events will be triggered by the player.

Think the number they threw around was 20% extra from the more efficient use of the cell, and if the destroyable environments are destroyed while you can play it's more taxing, in Uncharted 2 the game always stopped when something fell and there was a whole list of multiplat upgrades though I am unsure which ones of those are more taxing and which are just better design choices
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mitu123

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="momentum_god"] rts are not real time, it's one AI that controls a bunch of troops not tons of advanced AI that have to react to you and each othermomentum_god

Not really I don't know maybe, either way it's not as taxing as an action game, the gameplay is too slow in rts, yeah I'm wrong it's real time but it's incredibly slow paced and the troops just do one or two things theres only one AI

That's funny seeing how you can normally have more units on screen in an RTS than an action game along with bigger environments.

As for the AI part, they can do more than just fight on many games.

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rpgs_shall_rule
Congrats, KZ3 uses scripted destruction as well... someone posted a gif of a roof collapsing in KZ3... with the furthermost post from the impact collapsing first. Real good.
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rpgs_shall_rule

mitu123

That's funny seeing how you can normally have more units on screen in an RTS than an action game along with bigger environments.

Also, refer to my last post.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 momentum_god
Anyways, to put it into perspective, each of the possible 56k units on a battlefield is it's own entity, complete with AI, physics, etc. Let's see your beloved Infamous 2 and its what, 10 active enemies be able to match that.rpgs_shall_rule
they don't have to all navigate a cluttered environment in seconds which staying out of each others way and attacking the target I just don't see anything rts pushing hardware except maybe the core AI (like those chess playing computers)
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mitu123

Anyways, to put it into perspective, each of the possible 56k units on a battlefield is it's own entity, complete with AI, physics, etc. Let's see your beloved Infamous 2 and its what, 10 active enemies be able to match that.rpgs_shall_rule
LOL, that's the power of teh PS3!!!

Avatar image for RecklessTortuga
RecklessTortuga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RecklessTortuga
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts

I know 90% of you won't read past the title but I'll try to explain for the 10% that will, better hardware means more potential in gameplay and in graphics, now the wii is tapped out, 360 is debaitable and pc isn't even close, yet Sony on the ps3 are the only ones pushing the hardware advantages in gameplay, every round of exclusives is better gameplay wise then the last adding more and more elements, multiplat devs do improve the gameplay but not through means of pushing the hardware not lately just creative deceisions (for lack of a better term) and pc devs don't even make an effort, as for MS I doubt their devs would be capable regardless of their system was maxed out or not, I know people are shiny graphics focused but still it really sucks when people say that crysis is the most advanced game when it has such dated gameplay machinics technically speaking no matter how shiny it is I want better gameplay not shinier dirt

momentum_god
Personally, I believe all developers have the potential to make some pretty decent games but, it's the Publisher executives to blame for games being rush and half done... This is precisely why we have patches and updates more than ever now because, most games aren't even the full intended game uppon release;
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="edo-tensei"] What do visuals have to do with pushing gameplay foward?

edo-tensei

Then no game will ever be "taxing" on any console if your statement is true. But who knows we're not devs or anything like that.

I don't know, something like Crysis, Red Faction Guerilla or Battlefield with their destructible environments might be up there. But I agree that in general, gameplay is not what is going to be taxing on a system.

momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 momentum_god

mitu123

not really, like I said the gameplay is slow, and all the units and commands are preprogrammed very static design