Why is Resistence 40 MP players and Halo 3 only 16 MP players?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nippon_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 nippon_gamer
Member since 2005 • 928 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

Halo 3 >>>> R:FOM Graphically

Halo 3 >>>> R:FOM Gameplay wise

R:FOM >>>> Halo 3 in amount of players in a multiplat match

hmmm

oomph_aah

don't forget better story as well. And master chief, restance dont got master chief.

Master Chief is more lifeless than a bag of chips. But then again so is Nathan Hale.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#52 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
[QUOTE="DarthaPerkinjan"][QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

adders99

640p > 720p?

Resistance looks better, has destructable enviorments and has more units on screen at once.

Since you won't answer him I will

The reason why Resistance has more players online is because the laggy peer to peer online play of Xbox Live would create too much lag. Also the 360 can barely handle the game as it is, that's why they down scaled it to non HD standard defintion 640p

fanboy any one?

Both are debatable. I liked RFOM's online game much better than Halo's, its fast paced no matter how many people you play with. I find Halo slow at times, I know some will argue with me but this is from MY experience, I'm not saying you're wrong. Halo has a better in-game story while RFOM had a site dedicated to the alternate timeline and the like.

As far as graphics go, Halo 3 is more vibrant than RFOM but RFOM does have some massive firefights and some absolutely huge levels in campaign mode, and yes, RFOM has more destructible envrionment from tables to windows to concrete barriers that get blasted apart.

But as it stands on GS Halo 3 > RFOM. However its totally up to you to decide which one is more fun.
Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Art_424
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
[QUOTE="oomph_aah"][QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

nippon_gamer

don't forget better story as well. And master chief, restance dont got master chief.

Master Chief is more lifeless than a bag of chips. But then again so is Nathan Hale.

Its very simple, 9.5 to a 8.6!

jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 jet052006
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts

Because MS uses p2p instead of dedicated servers.Zhengi

I don't think people realise that Developers can put dedicated servers on Xbox live, there are several games out already that use dedicated servers. Even when games have both P2P and dedicated servers its seems like people prefer the P2P more than the uncontrollable dedicated servers.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#55 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Because MS uses p2p instead of dedicated servers.jet052006

I don't think people realise that Developers can put dedicated servers on Xbox live, there are several games out already that use dedicated servers. Even when games have both P2P and dedicated servers its seems like people prefer the P2P more than the uncontrollable dedicated servers.

You talk like dedicated servers are down every 5 hours. I'd rather dedicated servers for the most part, I'd rather be able to shoot people without lag.
michael098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 michael098
Member since 2006 • 3441 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

Resistance looks better, has destructable enviorments and has more units on screen at once.

The reason why Resistance has more players online is because the laggy peer to peer online play of Xbox Live would create too much lag. Also the 360 can barely handle the game as it is, that's why they down scaled it to non HD standard defintion 640p

Lol nice try, but no your wrong.

Nameless-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Nameless-Hero
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

Muzzle_Flashes

Halo MP boring and dull...unless you consider getting

Resistence came out 06' and H3 came out 07'....Resistence does have better graphics...9.5?Who cares about another persons opinion of game?Obviously you...

Resistence has more players...

One game is just plain boring and the other one is overated, I'll leave you to figure out....

dude stop the damage control its like the 3rd highest rated game on gamerankings unlike Resistance

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

So then halo 3 must be on "uncontrollable dedicated servers" cause you can't pick the map you want only veto the one you don't :roll:
Mandingo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Mandingo101
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

whaaaa?

of course devs can put servers, but when MS has a network set up for p2p already devs can easily be lazy, and cheap, and not buy or rent servers and just use p2p. and why would anyone choose more laggy p2p over dedicated servers which on top of having less lag by far, can handle more players as well? they have other advantages to the gamer also.
Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Art_424
[QUOTE="jet052006"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Because MS uses p2p instead of dedicated servers.ChiChiMonKilla

So then halo 3 must be on "uncontrollable dedicated servers" cause you can't pick the map you want only veto the one you don't :roll:

What?....I beleive Halo 2 also had that.

jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 jet052006
[QUOTE="jet052006"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Because MS uses p2p instead of dedicated servers.Tiefster

You talk like dedicated servers are down every 5 hours. I'd rather dedicated servers for the most part, I'd rather be able to shoot people without lag.

Down? im not talking about the reliability of the servers, its that the servers unlike on PC (which can be controlled by users) are life less because no one can control them. Once you start playing you cant change the rules, kick people, or set up teams these are the things that seem to be turning people away from the servers. I play rainbow six vegs on the 360, there is the option to play dedicated servers but these servers are usually dead, and when you try to get people to play on them they tend to not want to. I personally dont have lag while playing P2P, but im sure some people do so its a definite plus to some.

glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#62 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
Well, Bungie themselves said it wasn't an issue of hardware, but choice. They didn't want multiplayer to get more chaotic than it already was. Besides, no matter what haters say, Halo 3 still pwns Resistance in just about every way.
jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jet052006
[QUOTE="jet052006"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Because MS uses p2p instead of dedicated servers.Mandingo101

whaaaa?

of course devs can put servers, but when MS has a network set up for p2p already devs can easily be lazy, and cheap, and not buy or rent servers and just use p2p. and why would anyone choose more laggy p2p over dedicated servers which on top of having less lag by far, can handle more players as well? they have other advantages to the gamer also.

I never said that dedicated servers dont have there advantages. Im just stating that their are games with dedicated servers on Xbox live, which according to most, dont exist. Also you can be just as lazy with dedicated servers, look at rainbow six vegas for the PS3 for example.

and i explained why people dont go to dedicated servers above.

Avatar image for deactivated-62d1b87aec423
deactivated-62d1b87aec423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 deactivated-62d1b87aec423
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

Yes 640p > 720p in this case. You can still have a higher res with piss poor textures and a garbage color palette.

P.S. LOL @ ur fangogglez
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#65 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

lol...so far my halo 3 experience has 98% lag...so that "bu bu P2P LAGS" logic is flawed

Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Art_424
I havent had any lag at all in Halo 3.:D
Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

Halo 3 looks better than Resistance.MoldOnHold

Yeah! Halo 3 has rainbows!

More players =/= better game. Bungie themselves stated they didn't want an overload of people, because it would take away from the personal level, and it would be too hectic anyway.

It's nice to actually have the option (plus, it's not like every Resistance tournament forces you to use 40 players).

On a large enough map, you can get a pretty cool war going.

Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Art_424

[QUOTE="MoldOnHold"]Halo 3 looks better than Resistance.Pariah_001

Yeah! Halo 3 has rainbows!

and a 9.5 that has cows on damage control!!:lol:

tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
9.5 /thread
TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

While Resistence looks better ?

XD88FDB

Its nothing to do with graphics. Bungie did their research and found out that most people didnt even like 16 player games in Halo 2 so they figured the added expense of dedicated servers was not worth it. I for one like 8-10 players the best. In BF2 I never play on servers larger then 32 players.

Avatar image for tylerdurden2621
tylerdurden2621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 tylerdurden2621
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts
I think very few people would have interest in 40mp in halo, I certainly wouldn't play it. 16 is plenty.
Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
Why does Mario Kart Wii have 14 MP? What a dumb thread.
Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Tangmashi
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

One thing that bothers me is why Resistance and Warhawk were basically given the same score when Resistance had much more to offer than Warhawk.

Warhawk could've have gotten a 9.0 because it didn't have a story or single player, but Resistance did, sure it might've been un-orginal but it had a story at least and a single player.

I didn't complain about that until Warhawks review came out. I wouldn't have complained if Warhawk was given a 8.0, but both games were given the same score practically with out any explaination. The reviews of both are just inconsistent and confusing.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

why does PDZ handle 32 people online just fine :O omg!!?!?!

Why does UT3 only have 32 people online, does that means resistance is better than UT? Hell no.

Its called ballance, not to mention resistance in MP looks very, very sucky ;P

Also Resistance has no destructable enviroments, driving the tank around and shooting baracades never made them fall down....

loseittoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 loseittoo
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

One thing that bothers me is why Resistance and Warhawk were basically given the same score when Resistance had much more to offer than Warhawk.

Warhawk could've have gotten a 9.0 because it didn't have a story or single player, but Resistance did, sure it might've been un-orginal but it had a story at least and a single player.

I didn't complain about that until Warhawks review came out. I wouldn't have complained if Warhawk was given a 8.0, but both games were given the same score practically with out any explaination. The reviews of both are just inconsistent and confusing.

Tangmashi

its the timing...Resistance came out when all the cows said that ps3 will beat the 360 in everything hence the low(or you could say good) score...now its different..people shouldn't expect too much

Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
I'm more worried about how Resistance doesnt get enough recognition. After all, it is the father of Halo's much hyped Bubble Grenade...
snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 snipe2004
Member since 2007 • 1872 Posts
i found both resistance and halo 3 fun online and dishing out the pwnage
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

While Resistence looks better ?

XD88FDB

:| lol no, 40 players is great but that comment was mega BS, and halo 3 lags even with 16 players :lol: thx to the great servers we get....oh wait we dont even have dedicated servers.......MS should give us both dedicated servers and normal p2p stuff.....so when later on after few years microsoft wants to shut down the dedicated servers (they dont keep running forever....i think it was some metal gear solid multiplayer game that had its servers taken down which meant it couldnt be played anymore) so yeah that sucks, looking at the size of halo 3's map 16 player sometimes feel overcrowded so it doesnt matter but atleast give us lag free server so i dont get meleed from 10 miles away :|

elite_ferns1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 elite_ferns1
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

resistance multiplayer is like chikensrunning around in circles. Horrible level design

[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

halo has 2 screen buffers and can upscale to 1080p. and besides Graphics=/=gameplay. Resistance and warhawk were fun for a while (a lot of fun actually), but halo 3 is on another level.

BTW i own a ps3 and 360

bigsmackyo4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 bigsmackyo4
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

you know that's only the screen resolution right?

the texture's/lighting/physics are all better in halo 3 screen resolution doesnt effect texture resolution unless screen res is really low.

resistance has more players, but also no vehicles in it's online multiplayer like halo and the graphics aint as good .

jmckenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 jmckenna
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts
the way i see it teams of 4-8 will work better as a team, howoften dowe see 20 people working as a team and in games like battlefield, theres not many times 32 people work as a team. Games like GeoW and Halo rely on teamwork to get team games won, although i would like it if the lone wolves gametypein halo was more than five people
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

why do ppl automatically think MORE players = BETTER?

trust me its almost the opposite.

COD2 on X360 with only 8 players is far better than COD2 on PC with dozens- its mayhem & no fun at all.

Gears of War features only 8 players & its done brilliantly.

COD4 BETA - only 12 players & that was excellent.

more players just get in the way & turns the individual into little more than a 'grunt'

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

Proably

Still, awesome game though

jmckenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 jmckenna
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts

why do ppl automatically think MORE players = BETTER?

trust me its almost the opposite.

COD2 on X360 with only 8 players is far better than COD2 on PC with dozens- its mayhem & no fun at all.

Gears of War features only 8 players & its done brilliantly.

COD4 BETA - only 12 players & that was excellent.

more players just get in the way & turns the individual into little more than a 'grunt'

CwlHeddwyn

i agree, with less people you feel part of the team, rather then making up the numbers

RocKtheCasbaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#85 RocKtheCasbaH
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts

-D3MO-

That's not a mark of quality. Halo3 is optimsed for max 16 players as that's where the best gaming is. Most games are played with 6 or 5 players and they are better for it.

Anyone who has played BF2 on a 64 player map compared to a 32 map knows what I mean (or even Market Garden on RTCW with 100 players).

H3 could have stretched to 24 players but 360's don't have dedicated servers like the PS3 - it's all p2p.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#86 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

Exactly.

I hate it when developers reach their max in a game then fish out reasons for it. Gears 8 players well we wanted it to be a personal experience. Halo 16 player we wanted it to be personal. Bunch of liars, if they could put 40 on screen they would but can't. Woo hoo p2p servers must rock the house go xbox live. I have Resistance which is 40 player and Warhawk which is 32 player woo hoo.

Resistance is a poor mans Halo 2 with better graphics, awards and animations then Halo 2. Which I'm glad so if PS3 owners want a Halo like game its Resistance. I'm sure Bungie wanted rich detailed environments in mp and thats also what killed the amount on screen. Resistance Online play looks good.

If Resistance owners wanted a more team based experience they could easy make a 16 player room. Woot.

Lastly we have to remember Sony forced Insom to finish Resistance way in advance. They were going to add things like streaming and what not to up the graphics but couldn't because Sony needed one good launch title. But Resistance 2 is coming and it will probably smoke Halo 3 sorry lems.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

COD3 with 24 players is ok but NOTHING to shout about- COD2 with 40 players on a map is terrible- its a complete fragfest- as soon as u shoot sum1 ur already dead by sum1 else- bodies piling up everywhere- u can hardly get a kill spree going before getting overwhelmed by other players.

40 player games are irrelevant- since teamwork grinds to a halt- massed charges & overwhelming certain points with superior numbers become the staple routine. & if ur the type of 'Lone Wolf' player accustomed regular kill sprees ull soon be dissappointed- afterall even the best ppl can only take on so much.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts
just a question is there any vehicule in resistance ?
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
No there's no vehicles in RFoM. Anyone who's played both games extensively knows why the amount of players is set the way it is. It works with Halo 3. Most maps are better with 8 people, in fact there's no ranked 16 player matches at all. Meltdown matches on RFoM were flat out disasters 20v20. The battle would always boil down to the last node, with 20 defenders easily fending off the advancing team. The 5% of people that actually talked on the mics would not be enough to coordinate any sort of strategies, against that many defenders. The all out DM were even worse, but for obvious reasons.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Dedicated servers mainly..
rexoverbey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 rexoverbey
Member since 2002 • 7622 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

Resistance textures suck, the game is linear as hell, the game's story severly sucks, the physics (Havoc engine)are much better in Halo3, the lighing/partlicle effects arelight years better in Halo 3,and the single/multiplayer is no where near as good as Halo 3.

Virtua Tennis is 1080p by your logic it must be better than Resistance and Halo 3 right?

Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#92 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts

From Game Informer Magazine the realreason is actually quite simple, Bungie said that they could easily put 32 to 40 player on maps, but the reason why they dont is because with that many players some players do not have an impact on the game and just get lost in the fray, they keep it 16 players because every person is important to the outcome its hard to get lost in the fray, its as simple as that.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]Live is p2p that's why so it has issues with lag while psn has servers and about RFOM looking better imo they are about a tie.lordxymor

So, where does the Live fee go?

in MS pocket

AKuMA_G0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AKuMA_G0
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts

the main reasons why Resistance can hold more players than Halo 3 is because:

it hasa bigger space (blu-ray)

more powerful processor (cell)

dedicated servers (plus no online fee)

:P

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Bungie didn't want more than 16, which is fine, because none of the maps (except maybe Sandtrap) can hold more than 20+, hell 8 on 8 in Sandtrap can get pretty hectic sometimes.

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

the main reasons why Resistance can hold more players than Halo 3 is because:

it hasa bigger space (blu-ray)

more powerful processor (cell)

dedicated servers (plus no online fee)

:P

AKuMA_G0

dedicated servers yeah, and the cell yeah a little maybe,but the blue ray does not go toward giving you more players online.

unless you can explain too me how it does.

Crunchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Crunchman
Member since 2003 • 9316 Posts
Well, Resistance's multiplayer relies on dedicated servers, much like modern PC games. Halo 3 relies on a P2P network in which is selects a person that is best suited to host the given match. Now, this is probably the best P2P system out there, but it still has it's limits. Since most games connected to Xbox Live work this way, we won't be seeing technical marvels being played by 40+ people in one game. Or maybe we will.
Big_Boss465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Big_Boss465
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts
Does it really matter how many people you can put on a map though? I really have never cared as long as I have a great time playing. Gears only has 8 players, lags, and has glitches all over the place but I have a blast playing it. Both Resistance and Halo 3 are fun playing online...and thats all I care about it.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Do people still play resistance? There are millions playing Hao 3 online. I doubt Resistance still has a good online community.
LuvGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LuvGaming
Member since 2007 • 1290 Posts
[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]

hmmm

DarthaPerkinjan

640p > 720p?

Very good points. I own both consoles and although I love Halo, you're probably right.