Why is nintendo blamed for not keeping up with third parties here?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Seriously, people complain that nintendo rehashes when we get games like FF13, MGS4, GTA4, DMC4..and so on.

And yes, you could say tht the PS3 and 360 are getting new games as well, but they're almost all third party. Why are we complaining that nintendo can't make games as fast as every third party dev on the earth combined? Nintendo is only one company, they can only do so much at once. Would I like to see a new IP from nintendo that's NOT wii music? You bet.

But you know if nintendo were to focus on new IPs instead of klassics, people would have a fit that they're not getting a new zedla, starfox, whatever.

And if they focus on klassics, people will complain that they are rehashing.

The point is, there are many new nintendo games out there. They're just not made by nintendo. They're made by sega, or capcom, or EA, or Konami.

The worst of the worst nintendo gamer, is the one who only plays nintendo games. They are the reason third parties feel uneasy about relasing games on nintendo consoles. We got some great, nay amazing, third party games on the wii that most will never touch simply because it doesn't say "Nintendo" on the cover. But I promise that they will all go out and get the average looking dy of disaster instead.

angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts

The only good 3rd party games i've played on Wii are De Blob and Boom Blox, both of which I own.

Every other one i've tried has A-quality or less written all over it, they're just not very good, ranging from blah to horrible. Where as MAAANY 3rd party games on 360/PS3 are worthy of the title 'amazing'.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

Did you seriously call DMC4, MGS4, and FF13 rehashes?

Gaming is not for you, clearly--if this thread is any indication.

Bentham

Agreed.

I don't know about DMC4, but how can you call GTAIV and MGS4 rehashes? Especially since they both scored AAAA.

And you can't really call FF13 since you haven't played it.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

People complain that when you buy a Nintendo system your essentially expecting most of your solid library to be compiled of its 1st party titles. The problem with Nintendo is that you have to choose. If you buy a Nintendo system you are gonna get its great 1st party titles but be ignored for the most part third party wise.

People underestimate how important third party titles are. Third party titles are the games you play while the 1st party devs. take 2 years or more to release the next 1st party game. Not to mention the fact that there are many third party games that are bigger then most first party games like FF, GTA, DMC, Prince of Persia, etc. I mean heck, right now I have a Wii and the last game I bought for it was Mario Kart and SSBB, that was 1st or 2nd quarter. I really have nothing to look foward to this holiday season Wii wise.

Now in contrast you have the PS3 and 360 that release their 1st party games and have tons of solid third party games to play while you wait for the next killer 1st party exclusive.

And now with the way Nintendo went gaming wise, making their console and control vastly different then the competition, they did NOTHING to encourage multiplat sharing of third party on the Wii. So once again Nintendo adds another obsticle that prevents solid third party games from showing up on the Wii.

SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts
Agreed. But the thing with third party games is their own fault, they released such big amount of mediocre titles that the trust was lost.
Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bentham
Member since 2008 • 1154 Posts

Did you seriously call DMC4, MGS4, and FF13 rehashes?

Gaming is not for you, clearly--if this thread is any indication.

Edit: Whoops, accidently deleted my original post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

I disagree.

The only thing going for the Wii at the moment IS first party games or Nintendo IPs. There are hardly any very good or highly acclaimed third party games out there.

But the problem is with these new first party games, yea people want them, but ones that cater their needs or bring a sense of awesome nostalgia from playing the previous game. No one wants to play, in a sense, a downgraded version of say SSBB when SSBM for many was so much better. They want games to be improved, not to feel like a step back.

The main bashing of the Wii doesn't just stem from rehashes, it stems from the fact that hardcore gamers or gamers who just don't enjoy the gimmicky motion controls. Nintendo gamers love their characters such as Link, Mario and Samus but don't want to see them to fit the needs of children. After all, they're fans of the game.

Sorry if I went off topic but I just wanted to point that out.

Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bentham
Member since 2008 • 1154 Posts

Also, going by your faulty logic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Mario Kart Wii, and Animal Crossing are all "rehashes".

The fact is that the Wii doesn't have the quality compared to PS3 and 360 for 2008. 2009 looks better with Mad World, Muramasa, and Trace Memory 2.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

you know why? cuz Wii is missing out hell loads of games

Bioshock,GTA4,SR2,T6,FF13,MCLA,GRID,skate, Never had a ninja gaiden,never had a GTA game,MK v.s DC,Enternal Sonata,Dead Space, Fallout3,Oblivion,Prince of persia,Asssassin Creed and DMC4

and the list goes on ,see what i mean,all of those AA/AAA games arent for the wii,thats why Nintendo needs stong 3rd party support,not some kind of lame "Hula wii"

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Also, going by your faulty logic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Mario Kart Wii, and Animal Crossing are all "rehashes".

Bentham

You have that reversed. He's saying IF those games are considered rehashes, then so are FF13, etc.

None of those games are rehashes.

Except Final Fantasy *flees*

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Bioshock,GTA4,SR2,T6,FF13,MCLA,GRID,skate, Never had a ninja gaiden,never had a GTA game,MK v.s DC,Enternal Sonata,Dead Space, Fallout3,Oblivion,Prince of persia,Asssassin Creed and DMC4

and the list goes on ,see what i mean,all of those AA/AAA games arent for the wii,thats why Nintendo needs stong 3rd party support,not some kind of lame "Hula wii"

Ratchet_Fan8

Woah woah owah, I NEVER said Wii doesn't need third party. I was saying Wii DOES need third party. I was saying that it's simply unrealistic to blame nintendo for not releasing AAA titles at the same rate as all PS3/360 third parties combined.

People hold up games like DMC, GeoW, Halo, GTA and o on and complain tat nintendo can't compare with them. But you're comparing about a dozen thrid party companies to one first party company. It's not exactly a fair comparison.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

The good thing is that 3rd party support is starting to come to the Wii now. The Wii has the biggest install base and it sells a lot of software. So it's good that the tides are starting to shift. Nintendo has done well to establish a system that can cater to 3rd parties, but now it's all a matter of those 3rd party devs taking advantage of it and releasing great games for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="Ratchet_Fan8"]

goblaa

Woah woah owah, I NEVER said Wii doesn't need third party. I was saying Wii DOES need third party. I was saying that it's simply unrealistic to blame nintendo for not releasing AAA titles at the same rate as all PS3/360 third parties combined.

People hold up games like DMC, GeoW, Halo, GTA and o on and complain tat nintendo can't compare with them. But you're comparing about a dozen thrid party companies to one first party company. It's not exactly a fair comparison.

Okay, let's compared third party to third party and first party to first party.

Anyone?

No. Okay then, moving on.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Javy03

goblaa

Except for the fact that it is Nintendo's fault that they have such poor third party support. Of course we can't expect Nintendo's 1st party devs to compete with Sony's and MS's first party and other Third party companies. But its Nintendo's fault that they have poor third party support.

Nintendo wanted to carve its own niche in the gaming world making the family friendly, different and affordable Wii. They chose to make a system with alot less power then the PS3 and 360 and not much more power then the GC and add in a different control. This strategy worked great for Nintendo. Their games and appeal don't really compete directly with the PS3/360 and they are affordable enough to be the perfect secondary system. But that means that third party devs can't easily port games from the PC/360/PS3 to the Wii and visa versa. So basically if a third party wants to make a GOOD Wii game they will have to go exclusive, not what third parties want to hear. Honestly if the Wii was simliar to the PS3/360 hardware and control wise it would totally have all those great third party games, but then it wouldnt have the affordability and differences that made it a success and would probably have flopped.

Basically Nintendo chose the route it chose to sell alot of console which worked well for them, but made it hard to make third party games which hurts them. It is Nintendo's fault.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
[QUOTE="Ratchet_Fan8"]

goblaa

srry,i miss read :P XD
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Javy03

The good thing is that 3rd party support is starting to come to the Wii now. The Wii has the biggest install base and it sells a lot of software. So it's good that the tides are starting to shift. Nintendo has done well to establish a system that can cater to 3rd parties, but now it's all a matter of those 3rd party devs taking advantage of it and releasing great games for it.

Zhengi

I have been hearing that same speech for over a year now. What "tides" are shifting. What major push in third party games are coming to the Wii. In the end what the Wii lacks most is the multitude of AA/AAA multiplats that the PS3/360/PC tend to share. I have yet to see or hear much about upcoming PS3/360 multiplats also making its way to the Wii.

If its exclusives your talking about again, I heard this line last year as well and the 3rd party exclusives I have seen have been nothing to smile at. I hope Mad World is good and i think its called Demon Sword might be good as well but other that that I dont expect too much from third parties, the attention they have given seem to be mini games or niche games that don't interest me.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Javy03

I have been hearing that same speech for over a year now. What "tides" are shifting. What major push in third party games are coming to the Wii. In the end what the Wii lacks most is the multitude of AA/AAA multiplats that the PS3/360/PC tend to share. I have yet to see or hear much about upcoming PS3/360 multiplats also making its way to the Wii.

If its exclusives your talking about again, I heard this line last year as well and the 3rd party exclusives I have seen have been nothing to smile at. I hope Mad World is good and i think its called Demon Sword might be good as well but other that that I dont expect too much from third parties, the attention they have given seem to be mini games or niche games that don't interest me.

Look at TGS. There were more Japanese games announced for the Wii than for the 360 and PS3. EA has announced that they will start focusing more development on the Wii.

This isn't about something you heard last year that isn't coming true. These are actual game announcements that 3rd party companies are making. 2009 is looking very good for the Wii. So in a way, those who said this last year were right.

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

Wii still has Deadly Creatures this year...

/tries to contain laughter.

Madworld does look pretty damn good.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I disagree.

The only thing going for the Wii at the moment IS first party games or Nintendo IPs. There are hardly any very good or highly acclaimed third party games out there.

siLVURcross

This is actually a very common misconception

- De Blob
- World of Goo
- Resident Evil 4
- Boom Blox
- BlastWorks
- Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
- etc

Theres many quality titles. People just tend to ignore them because they get over shadowed by bigger titles like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I disagree.

. No one wants to play, in a sense, a downgraded version of say SSBB when SSBM for many was so much better. They want games to be improved, not to feel like a step back.

siLVURcross
speak for yourself. I along with many others prefer the content of SSBB...despite the fact that it's not as good as SSBM from a competitive standpoint. And the reviews reflect my point.
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Zhengi

Look at TGS. There were more Japanese games announced for the Wii than for the 360 and PS3.

Yeah games like Hula Wii.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

DireToad

Look at TGS. There were more Japanese games announced for the Wii than for the 360 and PS3.

Yeah games like:
- Little Kings Story
- Monster Hunter 3
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade
- Fragile
- etc

Don't worry, I fixed your mistake for you ;).

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Javy03

Look at TGS. There were more Japanese games announced for the Wii than for the 360 and PS3. EA has announced that they will start focusing more development on the Wii.

This isn't about something you heard last year that isn't coming true. These are actual game announcements that 3rd party companies are making. 2009 is looking very good for the Wii. So in a way, those who said this last year were right.

Zhengi

It's about quality not quantity, I looked at TGS 2008 highlights to see what Wii games were annouced because honestly I was hoping your right, what I found was more of what I expected....Karaoke Joysound Wi, Happy Dance Collection, Hula Wii, AeroGuitar, Let's Tap, Fishing Master World Tour, G1 Jockey Wii, etc. I know there are some serious games for the Wii as well but the Wii's support is still drowning in the same kind of crap its been getting. I don't see the promise of alot of series third party support, I still see TONS of PS3/360 games.

I am sure EA will make games for Wii, just like they have been, Boom Blox, etc. I can't see them investing too much into the Wii with their serious franchises when games like Madden sell worse in an install base larger then the 360s and PS3s. My fear is that when these devs. promise "support" they mean, more shovelware.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Javy03

It's about quality not quantity, I looked at TGS 2008 highlights to see what Wii games were annouced because honestly I was hoping your right, what I found was more of what I expected....Karaoke Joysound Wi, Happy Dance Collection, Hula Wii, AeroGuitar, Let's Tap, Fishing Master World Tour, G1 Jockey Wii, etc. I know there are some serious games for the Wii as well but the Wii's support is still drowning in the same kind of crap its been getting. I don't see the promise of alot of series third party support, I still see TONS of PS3/360 games.

I am sure EA will make games for Wii, just like they have been, Boom Blox, etc. I can't see them investing too much into the Wii with their serious franchises when games like Madden sell worse in an install base larger then the 360s and PS3s. My fear is that when these devs. promise "support" they mean, more shovelware.

It's funny how you only went for the bad games instead of the good games. No surprise here since all haters will do is point out the bad without acknowledging the good. And what are those tons of PS3/360 games are you talking about?

Yeah, and EA sells so well on the HD consoles that they've lost $350 million this last quarter and have had 7 straight consecutive losing quarters. They must be real happy about that. Madden sells worse on the Wii because EA dumbs it down with their All Play nonsense and they don't advertise it for the Wii enough. Most of the time, you will see the 360 logo at the end of their commercials and most people will think it's for the 360. But this really doesn't matter as Madden isn't a good barometer to go by. EA can have it continue to sell on the other ones just fine, but they have yet to reach the heights in sales they have experienced in the past.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DireToad
[QUOTE="DireToad"][QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Haziqonfire

Yeah games like:
- Little Kings Story
- Monster Hunter 3
- Fragile
- etc

I don't see any difference lol
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Javy03

This is actually a very common misconception

- De Blob
- World of Goo
- Resident Evil 4
- Boom Blox
- BlastWorks
- Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
- etc

Theres many quality titles. People just tend to ignore them because they get over shadowed by bigger titles like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Haziqonfire

De Blob, World of Goo, Boom Blox, Blast Works??? Do you think those titles change the stereotype development studios have of the Wii's fanbase. There is not denying thats its third party selection is slim, and they are missing out on alot of other solid games like DMC, GTA, FF, DeadSpace, Mirrors Edge, POP, etc.

I have the Wii as a secondary system and maybe those titles might be fantastic if you don't have much of an option but when my PS3 has tons of solid third party games multiplat and not coming out its hard to put a pass on those games to pick up BlastWorks, instead.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Javy03

It's funny how you only went for the bad games instead of the good games. No surprise here since all haters will do is point out the bad without acknowledging the good. And what are those tons of PS3/360 games are you talking about?

Yeah, and EA sells so well on the HD consoles that they've lost $350 million this last quarter and have had 7 straight consecutive losing quarters. They must be real happy about that. Madden sells worse on the Wii because EA dumbs it down with their All Play nonsense and they don't advertise it for the Wii enough. Most of the time, you will see the 360 logo at the end of their commercials and most people will think it's for the 360. But this really doesn't matter as Madden isn't a good barometer to go by. EA can have it continue to sell on the other ones just fine, but they have yet to reach the heights in sales they have experienced in the past.

Zhengi

I am far from a hater, I know there are serious games as I acknowledged that in the same paragraph, but I guess you only wanted to focus on the bad. My point is OVERALL the Wiis future is still drowning in alot of niche, gimmicky games with some serious games sprinkled here and there. I dont see third party games including the Wii in their PS3/360 exclusives and the exclusives they have been throwing the way of my Wii is not appealing. Heck the most anticipated game I want on the Wii is so far only announced for Japan, that T. vs Capcom game. I also want Demon sword as well but overall the list is still slim and all I get is promises on support without a real clue onto what kind of support.

Again as its been discussed many times, we dont know what EA spent their money on, all we had were the percentages of where EA was making most of its money and the Wii was way down their at 4%. With its large install base and the fact that EA is one of the few devs. making decent efforts to include the Wii I expected better. So I am not so sure as to why you think that looking at those numbers would lead EA to invest most of their resources on the 4%??

Companies report losses and gains all the time and EA is a huge company so who knows what kind of projects they are dumping huge money on. You can't conclude its money wose are because its focused on "HD consoles" when its making most of its money there. Not to mention the 360/PS3/PC fanbase is much larger then the Wiis and they buy EAs games. Most likely their money problems stem from management issues.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 haziqonfire

De Blob, World of Goo, Boom Blox, Blast Works??? Do you think those titles change the stereotype development studios have of the Wii's fanbase. There is not denying thats its third party selection is slim, and they are missing out on alot of other solid games like DMC, GTA, FF, DeadSpace, Mirrors Edge, POP, etc.

I have the Wii as a secondary system and maybe those titles might be fantastic if you don't have much of an option but when my PS3 has tons of solid third party games multiplat and not coming out its hard to put a pass on those games to pick up BlastWorks, instead.

Javy03

The stereotype is only their by the 'core' gamer. I knew what I was getting when I got the Wii and I appreciate it for what its worth. Many people think the Wii is trying to be a PS3/360 clone, which its not.

Its their fault for having false expectations.

Team_Microsoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 Team_Microsoft
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

people complain that nintendo rehashes when we get games like FF13, MGS4, GTA4, DMC4..and so on.

goblaa

Funny You should be the last person talking about Rehashes After all YOU have the Punch-Out Game as your sig.:|

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DireToad
[QUOTE="Javy03"]

Haziqonfire

The stereotype is only their by the 'core' gamer. I knew what I was getting when I got the Wii and I appreciate it for what its worth. Many people think the Wii is trying to be a PS3/360 clone, which its not.

lololololol I can't believe this post.

It's the gamers fault for expecting games on a game console?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 haziqonfire

It's the gamers fault for expecting games on a game console?DireToad

Its gamers fault for expecting the Wii to act like a PS3/360.

It clearly has more appeal to a casual audience than it does to a core audience. Its their fault for setting up false expectations.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Javy03

Haziqonfire

I can agree with that, I bought one expecting to use it as a decent secondary console with most of my purchases being from its 1st party studios. But that doesnt mean its not still responsible for poor third party support. People didnt expect it to be a PS3/360 clone, what they hoped was that its library could stand on its own but IMO and from alot of complaints its not. Without a PS3/360/or PC your left waiting for the next rare serious 3rd party game or 1st party title.

aquajet16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 aquajet16
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts

I'd like to have my word on what the blog maker says.

Yep, it is true. Though many Nintendo fanboys out there may be in self-denial but the fact is that it is true though some you said have some exceptions...

1. FF13

Actually, I think this was due to the fact that there was some sort of contract by Sony that binds Square (Square Enix) to just do games for them. Even though the contract was to be followed, still, Square (SquareEnix) still made some games for Nintendo - CC, the SNES FF Trinity on the GBA, etc. So in FF13's case - it is because of the contract not the whole issue here.

2. MTGS4

Metal Gear Solid started with the playstation. And it has to end with the Playstation because with games like this where sequels are important to the plot, the sequel must be placed on the same brand as the console for better reception and making such sequels to the other console instead of the one will stir distrust on the console making company to Konami.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DireToad

[QUOTE="DireToad"]

It's the gamers fault for expecting games on a game console?Haziqonfire

It clearly has more appeal to a casual audience than it does to a core audience. Its their fault for setting up false expectations.

lol ok

It's gamers' fault for expecting too much out of the Wii.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="DireToad"]

It's the gamers fault for expecting games on a game console?DireToad

lol ok

It's gamers' fault for expecting too much out of the Wii.

Good job. You must feel proud to totally miss the point of what I said.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Javy03

I am far from a hater, I know there are serious games as I acknowledged that in the same paragraph, but I guess you only wanted to focus on the bad. My point is OVERALL the Wiis future is still drowning in alot of niche, gimmicky games with some serious games sprinkled here and there. I dont see third party games including the Wii in their PS3/360 exclusives and the exclusives they have been throwing the way of my Wii is not appealing. Heck the most anticipated game I want on the Wii is so far only announced for Japan, that T. vs Capcom game. I also want Demon sword as well but overall the list is still slim and all I get is promises on support without a real clue onto what kind of support.

Again as its been discussed many times, we dont know what EA spent their money on, all we had were the percentages of where EA was making most of its money and the Wii was way down their at 4%. With its large install base and the fact that EA is one of the few devs. making decent efforts to include the Wii I expected better. So I am not so sure as to why you think that looking at those numbers would lead EA to invest most of their resources on the 4%??

Companies report losses and gains all the time and EA is a huge company so who knows what kind of projects they are dumping huge money on. You can't conclude its money wose are because its focused on "HD consoles" when its making most of its money there. Not to mention the 360/PS3/PC fanbase is much larger then the Wiis and they buy EAs games. Most likely their money problems stem from management issues.

No, you focused on all the bad and made no mention of the good unless you feel that games like Hula Wii, Aeroguitar, etc. are good games. And what's wrong with niche games? Games like Katamari are niche games that are good. In fact, I prefer the Wii remain as a console for niche game cause these won't be successful on the PS3 and 360. And those games that 3rd parties might not be appealing to you, but they are appealing to others. Heck, the most anticipated games for me on the PS3 and 360 are... none. Been there, done that. So just because the gaming list doesn't appeal to you DOESN'T mean that there are no good games. Just because Blast Works, Boom Blox, Deadly Creatures, Mad World, etc. don't interest you doesn't mean that they aren't good. I have absolutely zero interest in games like Halo, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good game.

You're wrong. They spent most of their money in R&D development. Here are some stats and figures for you:

FY04: $511 million R&D costs, $577 million total profit
FY05: $633m R&D, $504m profit
FY06: $758m R&D, $236m profit
FY07: $1041m R&D, $76m profit
FY08: $1145m R&D, $487m loss
Q1+Q2 FY09: $728m R&D, $461m loss

http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/88/881/88189/items/250822/2007AnnualReport.pdf

Not surprising that research and development went way up with the introduction of the HD consoles, is it now? People are still clinging onto to the slim hope that it's not the HD consoles that are causing companies to lose money, and yet you have companies like Midway going out of business and THQ closing down studios despite games like Saints Rows. As for the Wii, what games did EA release and marketed well deserve to sell more? In fact, despite the low generated revenue, the Wii was profitable for EA. Boom Blox sold enough for them to be happy with the sales. The 360 sold 25% for them and they lose $310 million. Yeah, I bet any company would be happy with those figures and would gladly invest more than the 25% into the HD consoles just so they come out losing money. Last thing about the numbers, revenues =! profits.

Yeah, but few companies report 7 consecutive quarters of losses. That's 1 year, 9 months of losing money. It's funny how you try to justify them losing money when they've put the majority of their support into HD consoles. And yes, we can make a solid conjecture from the numbers, especially with their R&D costs being so high. And yeah, management issues. It's hilarious how those management issues weren't present during the last gen and suddenly it becomes management issues when they focus most of their development on HD consoles. Look at the numbers I posted above. R&D has gone way up high. It must be management issues and not the money they spent there.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zhengi

I'd like to have my word on what the blog maker says.

Yep, it is true. Though many Nintendo fanboys out there may be in self-denial but the fact is that it is true though some you said have some exceptions...

1. FF13

Actually, I think this was due to the fact that there was some sort of contract by Sony that binds Square (Square Enix) to just do games for them. Even though the contract was to be followed, still, Square (SquareEnix) still made some games for Nintendo - CC, the SNES FF Trinity on the GBA, etc. So in FF13's case - it is because of the contract not the whole issue here.

2. MTGS4

Metal Gear Solid started with the playstation. And it has to end with the Playstation because with games like this where sequels are important to the plot, the sequel must be placed on the same brand as the console for better reception and making such sequels to the other console instead of the one will stir distrust on the console making company to Konami.

aquajet16

1. FF13 is going to be released on the 360.

2. MGS has gone to different platforms like the GC and Xbox.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DireToad
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

Zhengi

No, you focused on all the bad and made no mention of the good unless you feel that games like Hula Wii, Aeroguitar, etc. are good games. And what's wrong with niche games? Games like Katamari are niche games that are good. In fact, I prefer the Wii remain as a console for niche game cause these won't be successful on the PS3 and 360. And those games that 3rd parties might not be appealing to you, but they are appealing to others. Heck, the most anticipated games for me on the PS3 and 360 are... none. Been there, done that. So just because the gaming list doesn't appeal to you DOESN'T mean that there are no good games. Just because Blast Works, Boom Blox, Deadly Creatures, Mad World, etc. don't interest you doesn't mean that they aren't good. I have absolutely zero interest in games like Halo, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good game.

You're wrong. They spent most of their money in R&D development. Here are some stats and figures for you:

FY04: $511 million R&D costs, $577 million total profit
FY05: $633m R&D, $504m profit
FY06: $758m R&D, $236m profit
FY07: $1041m R&D, $76m profit
FY08: $1145m R&D, $487m loss
Q1+Q2 FY09: $728m R&D, $461m loss

http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/88/881/88189/items/250822/2007AnnualReport.pdf

Not surprising that research and development went way up with the introduction of the HD consoles, is it now? People are still clinging onto to the slim hope that it's not the HD consoles that are causing companies to lose money, and yet you have companies like Midway going out of business and THQ closing down studios despite games like Saints Rows. As for the Wii, what games did EA release and marketed well deserve to sell more? In fact, despite the low generated revenue, the Wii was profitable for EA. Boom Blox sold enough for them to be happy with the sales. The 360 sold 25% for them and they lose $310 million. Yeah, I bet any company would be happy with those figures and would gladly invest more than the 25% into the HD consoles just so they come out losing money. Last thing about the numbers, revenues =! profits.

Yeah, but few companies report 7 consecutive quarters of losses. That's 1 year, 9 months of losing money. It's funny how you try to justify them losing money when they've put the majority of their support into HD consoles. And yes, we can make a solid conjecture from the numbers, especially with their R&D costs being so high. And yeah, management issues. It's hilarious how those management issues weren't present during the last gen and suddenly it becomes management issues when they focus most of their development on HD consoles. Look at the numbers I posted above. R&D has gone way up high. It must be management issues and not the money they spent there.

If you want niche games like Katamari just get on PSN or Arcade and download some software.
Team_Microsoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 Team_Microsoft
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

aquajet16

Last time i check i could play MGS2 on Xbox&Windows:| i played The MGS Remake on the gamecube .Stop with this Nonsense Kid MGSIV(Insert quirky Name Here) is coming to the 360 peroid!!!

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zhengi

If you want niche games like Katamari just get on PSN or Arcade and download some software.DireToad

I will, but that doesn't mean I don't want retail niche games either. That's why I have all the consoles. I just don't expect the HD consoles to have too many of them. So far, I've enjoyed quite a few, but in comparison to last gen, this gen is lacking in these types of games. Hopefully companies will start to pump more out.

aquajet16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 aquajet16
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
[QUOTE="aquajet16"]

Team_Microsoft

Last time i check i could play MGS2 on Xbox&Windows:| i played The MGS Remake on the gamecube .Stop with this Nonsense Kid MGSIV(Insert quirky Name Here) is coming to the 360 peroid!!!

oh sorry I guess my mind is so far these days.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Javy03
[QUOTE="aquajet16"]

Team_Microsoft

Yes yet MGS3 has remained exclusive and so far so has MGS4. MGS for the PSP is also only on the PSP. With the way Sony handled MGS4, bundling it with their PS3 I wouldnt be surprised if that was the encentive to keep it exclusive. It helped push the sales over 3 million and in its lifetime will most likely reach MGS2's level of success.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="DireToad"][QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

DireToad

Yeah games like:
- Little Kings Story
- Monster Hunter 3
- Fragile
- etc

I don't see any difference lol

Maybe you should take your fanboy goggles off. Or maybe you are just crosseyed like the woman in your sig ;)

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
[QUOTE="DireToad"]

Yeah games like:
- Little Kings Story
- Monster Hunter 3
- Fragile
- etc

Haziqonfire

Those were announced last year at TGS, where is all the amazing third party games that was announced this year?
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

graphical improvements ARE BETTER than waggle.

when i play something like GTA4 or COD4 or DMC 4, i know i'm playing something that simply would not be possible gameplay wise on last gen systems. (scale, AI, physics, or just plain old graphics)

also, the lack of gimmicks ensures that i'm seeing REAL innovation, not just crappy implementation of waggle added in last-minute(warioware wii and SMG are exceptions). games i'm talking about here are SW:TFU, oblivion, fallout3, mass effect, dead rising, etc.

if you take games like mario kart wii, brawl, Twilight princess, mario (insert sport here) and you take out the waggle(which is, by the way implemented terribly in TP and MKWii) you can see through the shallowness and realize that these games would have played exactly the same on the gamecube.

for some people, the waggle can substitute for real innovation, but for a growing number of wii owners, it just doesn't.

all IMO. except the last sentence.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts

I really enjoy reading these threads.

It's funny seeing people waste time hating on something someone else enjoys.

As if they think people should all enjoy the same things.

As for Nintendo and third parties...

Nintendo gets blamed for everything for some reason. So it only makes sense fanboys would blame them for third party support.

Even though I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Third party support was good this year, and looks to be even better next year.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I really enjoy reading these threads.

It's funny seeing people waste time hating on something someone else enjoys.

As if they think people should all enjoy the same things.

As for Nintendo and third parties...

Nintendo gets blamed for everything for some reason. So it only makes sense fanboys would blame them for third party support.

Even though I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Third party support was good this year, and looks to be even better next year.

AlexSays

That's very true but I bet the majority of the people enjoy a high quality game instead of a low quality game.