Why is graphics that important?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I realize it's important to have a game look nice; but get real. Gameplay is way more important than graphics. How much fun you have with X game ought to be the main factor, and not just how nice it looks. Why is graphics held with such reverance?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

What is this graphics talk? Thats for pc hermits, imo, and their dying platform.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Because graphics are an objective evidence of a platform's capabilities

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Because graphics can often provide a breath-taking experience which improves the enjoyment of the game given that the game has good gameplay. Perfect example Crysis. I was just wowed when I played it on everything Very High. It actually made me enjoy the game more because I would just walk and drive around and enjoy the gorgeous secenery.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#5 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

What is this graphics talk? Thats for pc hermits, imo, and their dying platform.

Bikouchu35

Wanna provide proof to go with that.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I think graphics are important to help immerse the player. I feel gameplay is a bit more important, but graphics is right behind it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Xtasy26

Wanna provide proof to go with that.

Psst....He was being sarcastic.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

graphics increase the immersion of the gameplay.

not so much cranking out WTF ridiculous resolutions and ultra high res textures... but providing a realistic looking gameworld with objects that react realistically.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Bikouchu35
Indeed,I agree. Pftt,those hermits...
MagnusTheOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MagnusTheOne
Member since 2004 • 190 Posts

Graphics are important because they take the attention away from how generic and boring your game actually is (coughkillzone2cough)

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Calvin079

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Arach666

Its not just Hermits. Lemmings and Cows make graphics talk just as much, and may Idare say, more than the Hermits.Don't be putting all the graphics blame on one group of fanboys.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Calvin079

Its not just Hermits. Lemmings and Cows make graphics talk just as much, and may Idare say, more than the Hermits.Don't be putting all the graphics blame on one group of fanboys.

Nah,I´m pretty sure all of that is hermits fault,cows and lems don´t make such claims,ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"] Indeed,I agree. Pftt,those hermits...Arach666

Nah,I´m pretty sure all of that is hermits fault,cows and lems don´t make such claims,ever.

Defiantly not, its always either those gosh darn hermits or those devilish sheep that saturate everything with their graphical gibber gabber.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I really dont get why people downplay graphics so much sometimes. They matter. Alot. Everything in a game matters that contributes to the over all experience. Like would you rather play a game with awesome gameplay and bad graphics, or awesome gameplay AND awesome graphics... Saying graphics dont matter is like saying that drummers in rock bands arent important... Erm.. I guess you could still make music without em or whatever, but having an amazing drummer would add so many more possibilties and different dynamics to the musical experience

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Calvin079

Yes, you can have a good game with "terrible" graphics. i have a few games that are like that on the DS.I also have a game on PC where the graphics look nice, but the game is rather hard. But I still like it a lot. It is posiible to have good graphics and mediocre gameplay. But it is also possible to have both.

Winaragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Winaragon
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts

Because it's the first thing you'll encounter after launching a game software.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Let's be honest, if we didn't talk about graphics, we would have half the threads we have now. And some of them have provided funny moments/memes.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Calvin079

^ :lol: true. But, I'm saying; realistically, are they all cut out as some in SW make them out to be?

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

I really dont get why people downplay graphics so much sometimes. They matter. Alot. Everything in a game matters that contributes to the over all experience. Like would you rather play a game with awesome gameplay and bad graphics, or awesome gameplay AND awesome graphics... Saying graphics dont matter is like saying that drummers in rock bands arent important... Erm.. I guess you could still make music without em or whatever, but having an amazing drummer would add so many more possibilties and different dynamics to the musical experience

VendettaRed07

the problem is PC gamers are constantly putting tons of emphasis on things like video and texture resolutions and framerates.... which honestly dont matter that much as long as they are serviceable. Beyond a certain point i think things like that add very little to the game.

However various lighting effects, animations, physics, and yes "teh foliage"... now those i think matter quite a bit.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

markinthedark

the problem is PC gamers are constantly putting tons of emphasis on things like video and texture resolutions and framerates.... which honestly dont matter that much as long as they are serviceable. Beyond a certain point i think things like that add very little to the game.

However various lighting effects, animations, physics, and yes "teh foliage"... now those i think matter quite a bit.

yeah you have a point people do take it to extremes, and what I mean by good graphics is just a game looking good. It has to be athsetically pleasing. Like Yoshis Island to this day has great graphics.. But when a game comes out like MAG or whatever and looks like crap I dont think it should be brushed off like it doesnt matter because it harms the experience imo

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#21 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Without good graphics, System Wars would be a boring place :(
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

I realize it's important to have a game look nice; but get real. Gameplay is way more important than graphics. How much fun you have with X game ought to be the main factor, and not just how nice it looks. Why is graphics held with such reverance?

Calvin079

What do you think the difference was between SNES and NES? One was 16-bit and the other only 8-bit, aka. graphics difference. And somehow, that fact didn't stop the SNES from unanimously being proclaimed as a better console. The ps2 was better than the ps1 for nothing other than the graphics, despite the already ellaborate ps1 library. That is the way the industry moves forward, and has been moving forward for the past 20 years. You are simply in denial.

Big-Shamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Big-Shamrock
Member since 2010 • 688 Posts
Because the game needs to look nice and shiny.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Well graphicsa are usually icing on the cake, the cake being a good game. Also I like to think that theres effort put into the game I am playing and when something looks like Crysis or BC2 its easy to think some Dev sweat and ambition went into the game. That being said great graphics are not necesarry. I still play and love CSS and now Im playing Minecraft which in now way can be called pretty.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Sure gameplay is more important. But why even make new consoles at this point if you don't give a hoot about graphics. You might not consider graphics as the MOST important factor in considering a game, but they factor in there somewhere.

washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

why are. and the answer is simple without graphics there would be no game.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

why are. and the answer is simple without graphics there would be no game.

washd123

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_game

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If no one cared about graphics, we'd all be happy with just the PS2, XBox, and GC. Plus, no one would be ragging about the Wii's graphics.

ultrapc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ultrapc
Member since 2010 • 808 Posts
gameplay is more important than graphics , But nice graphics sure add to the the experience and show how talented some developers are , i sure appreciate a nice looking game (with good gameplay ofcourse ) more than i do a bad looking game , Because more work was put to make the game look good .
FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
Its more along the lines of fanboys dismissing the importance of graphics due to their own console's lame graphics. This is so they don't feel irrelevant/out matched in comparison to more powerful gaming systems.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

They're not. Just something PS3/PC owners use to judge how good their games are.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Graphics are very important imo... and forums are proof that probably Graphics are the most important thing (in forums) since practically 95% of discussions are based on which game/system offers better visuals..

I dont see people many topics/discussions over which game has better AI, better story, better voice acting, animation, plot etc etc (and these are also as important as visuals to immerse players more into the game.)

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

I realize it's important to have a game look nice; but get real. Gameplay is way more important than graphics. Calvin079

Gameplay and graphics do not cancel eachother out. You can have both at the same time (look at Crysis for example). Why not take the best of both worlds?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

markinthedark

It matters if it means jaggies everywhere or not.

It's a huge "turn-off" to see jaggies everywhere when there can be little to none instead.

Also, lighting can make a huge difference.

Shining example:

PC

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
im playing mount and blade warband and very much enjoying it. that should give an indication of the importance i put on graphics.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zophar87

Gameplay and graphics do not cancel eachother out. You can have both at the same time (look at Crysis for example). Why not take the best of both worlds?

PandaBear86

Give me Serious Sam over Crysis any day.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PandaBear86

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

Zophar87

Neither game has "better" gameplay over the other. I played both and they gameplay is very different. Both are awesome games btw.

Either way, Serious Sam's gameplay would not be any different if it had better graphics. Tell me you wouldn't love Serious Sam with Crysis-level graphics ;)

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

Zophar87

Crysis is tactical while Serious Sam is really arcade like.

They are pretty different in terms of FPS and not really that comparable.

A better comparison would be a tactical single player game like.... I guess Call of Duty or Killzone 2 compared to Crysis.

Or Duke Nukem(or Doom or something) compared to Serious Sam.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PandaBear86
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

Crysis is tactical while Serious Sam is really arcade like. They are pretty different in terms of FPS and not really that comparable. A better comparison would be a tactical single player game like.... I don't even know what, compared to Crysis. Or Duke Nukem(or Doom or something) compared to Serious Sam.

I would say that Painkiller has similar gameplay to Serious Sam, although the visuals and settings are very different (one game has you killing aliens in broad daylight, while the other has you killing ghosts in mysterious tombs). Funny how two games that look completely different have such similar gameplay :)
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zophar87

A better comparison would be a tactical single player game like.... I guess Call of Duty or Killzone 2 compared to Crysis.

DragonfireXZ95

/facepalm

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Zophar87"]

PandaBear86

Crysis is tactical while Serious Sam is really arcade like. They are pretty different in terms of FPS and not really that comparable. A better comparison would be a tactical single player game like.... I don't even know what, compared to Crysis. Or Duke Nukem(or Doom or something) compared to Serious Sam.

I would say that Painkiller has similar gameplay to Serious Sam, although the visuals and settings are very different (one game has you killing aliens in broad daylight, while the other has you killing ghosts in mysterious tombs). Funny how two games that look completely different have such similar gameplay :)

Yeah, Painkiller would be closer, you're right, been a long time since I played those games. Or even Necrovision.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

Zophar87

/facepalm

How is that a face palm? It's the truth...
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

The immersion argument:

While true that graphics may add to a game to be more immersive, gameplay is the real key for greater immersion. If the gameplay is awesome, you will be completely immersed even if it was an 8-bit game, cruddy looking game. If gameplay is great, then that means it'll suck you in because of that gameplay.

Not to mention the whole thing about gameplay providing the core fun etc. But on top of those reasons, that is why gameplay will always > graphics no matter what. Even gameplay tops graphics in terms of immersion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Calvin079

MONEY.

Elutheria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Elutheria
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts
People always act like graphics and gameplay are unconnected, they aren't. More graphical power gives games designers more options. More graphic power means more detailed, immersive worlds, better character models can add subtlety and nuance to story telling, the scope and scale of games can be more epic, enemies more varied etc. You can still make a fun cartoony platformer for a powerful gaming system, but you can't make a state of the art racing sim for the NES. I agree that the pixel counting types that couldn't possibly play any game running at less than 120 fps or their eyes will bleed are ridiculous, but improvements in graphic capabilities are what drive game design forward. Gaming on a relatively underpowered system just reduces your options.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zophar87

How is that a face palm? It's the truth...DragonfireXZ95

They both fall under the same genre. I completely agree with a statement made earlier saying that one could equal Serious Sam's action with Crysis's graphics. If I have something that I find to be better as far as overall gameplay goes, and something that I feel in my opinion is a better game. I'm saying, when it comes down to games in that genre, give me gameplay over graphics any day of the week.

Who's to argue?

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PandaBear86

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

How is that a face palm? It's the truth...Zophar87

They both fall under the same genre. I completely agree with a statement made earlier saying that one could equal Serious Sam's action with Crysis's graphics. If I have something that I find to be better as far as overall gameplay goes, and something that I feel in my opinion is a better game. I'm saying, when it comes down to games in that genre, give me gameplay over graphics any day of the week.

Who's to argue?

Fair enough :)

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

How is that a face palm? It's the truth...Zophar87

Who's to argue?

Sure they fall under the same genre, but they aren't even close in terms of gameplay.

You could rate them subjectively as a whole on a scale of 1 to 10, but to compare them in terms of one aspect which is what you originally stated, "Give me Serious Sam over Crysis any day." when responding to, "Gameplay and graphics do not cancel eachother out. You can have both at the same time (look at Crysis for example). Why not take the best of both worlds?" is just not very feasible. You implied that Serious Sam has better gameplay than Crysis even though Crysis has better graphics, when the gameplay isn't even comparable by itself considering the nature of the games.

I suppose you could judge them like that, but it's not a very reasonable judging because they are so different. It's like comparing the gameplay of Sins of a Solar Empire to Starcraft 2 and claiming one is better than the other, when the gameplay is radically different.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zophar87

Sure they fall under the same genre, but they aren't even close in terms of gameplay.

You could rate them subjectively as a whole on a scale of 1 to 10, but to compare them in terms of one aspect which is what you originally stated, "Give me Serious Sam over Crysis any day." when responding to, "Gameplay and graphics do not cancel eachother out. You can have both at the same time (look at Crysis for example). Why not take the best of both worlds?" is just not very feasible. You implied that Serious Sam has better gameplay than Crysis even though Crysis has better graphics, when the gameplay isn't even comparable by itself considering the nature of the games.

I suppose you could judge them like that, but it's not a very reasonable judging because they are so different. It's like comparing the gameplay of Sins of a Solar Empire to Starcraft 2 and claiming one is better than the other, when the gameplay is radically different.

DragonfireXZ95

So I prefer Serious Sam over Crysis? Why is this a big deal? =\