Why is Gears so popular?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blurb1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blurb1324
Member since 2004 • 4551 Posts

Why do you think that Gears is so popular? Is it because of the outstanding graphics? Or the gameplay?

Personally, I think people are just getting wowed by the graphics. I played the game last weekend, and the gameplay was pretty much meh to me (but, then again, I don't care for shooters too much so I am slightly biased here).

Even the graphics didn't impress me that much. I mean sure, they were fantastic and all, but I expected better considering how much it's hyped up here in SW. This may have been because I was playing offline MP though. 

acekall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 acekall
Member since 2003 • 3676 Posts
blashpemy!!!1!!!!1!!!!!11111!1!! j/k
oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
cuz its fun.
Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts

Graphics are amazing, especially in certain parts or areas!  And the ONline is hella fun!

Obviously if u dont like shooters ur not gonna like it, regardless of how well it plays or looks.

My only gripe with the game is that there are too many glitches in the MP part.

SoulKillah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 SoulKillah
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
Its popular because there's a bunch of guys,with a bunch of weapons,running and pointlessly shooting at each other(sorry but it doesn't have a strong story line!)anyway...they like cuz its a shooting game...In my opinion it would be much more fun on the PC...
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts

It isn't still the most played MP on Live is it?  I had to take a break from MP and play some SP games because I was so disappointed that so many people were playing (and content with) an admittedly flawed MP.

monkeymonfp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 monkeymonfp
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

May be on my own, but its still the best looking released game out there at the momment in my opinion

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Played through it on Casual and Hardcore. The Co-op gameplay is an absolute blast. The single player game is alot of fun.

JeffGenocideX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JeffGenocideX
Member since 2004 • 4853 Posts
Its popular because there's a bunch of guys,with a bunch of weapons,running and pointlessly shooting at each other(sorry but it doesn't have a strong story line!)anyway...they like cuz its a shooting game...In my opinion it would be much more fun on the PC...SoulKillah
It will suck on PC.
Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts
Well the MP wasn't my cup of tea but it was OK, the co-op can be very fun but seriously make you wish sometimes the other 2 PC-controller soldiers could also be co-op players. SP was great too I've been through it at least 4 times now. Its just one of those games that really sucks me in to the action, I don't find that I "lose myself" in many games any more like that so this was pretty impressive for me.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts
I know what you're talking about. Oblivion, thus far for me, has very good graphics but aweful animation. And iit's a 9+ game. Developers are still getting their stuff together. I think by the start of 2008, we should see some games that cover all gaming aspects.
HazeNPopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HazeNPopes
Member since 2007 • 735 Posts
Because it`s good and multiplayer is addictive, i respect your opinion though.
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
I think it has everything to do with the graphics because the gameplay is nothing special. I've played much, much better games in my 26 years.
Lookforanexit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lookforanexit
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
cuz its fun. oback
Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts

Cause hunting people down and blasting them into chunks is awesome. Multilayer is just so intense I love it. Also, I love the mechanics, universal A button, and the cover system. More games need cover systems. And the crem de la crem........

ROADIE RUN!

Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts
I have no idea. It's one of the most disappointing games I have ever played.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Cause it's a blast to play.
kiwisama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kiwisama
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts
cause it seems to be the best LOOKING game so far, oh and you have a CHAINSAW ooooooooh.
New_Syntax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 New_Syntax
Member since 2005 • 586 Posts
The game is spactacular! The Gameplay is very intense, and fluid. You cant just run around shooting(save for casual mode). There is a tactical element. The graphics and physics are superb. The multiplayer is flawed, but yet still remains my favorite Multiplayer online game. The problems I have with the multi-player are all mostly technical(glitchy ledges, glitching in general, no clan system..) Ill admit it. Im a gearhead.
Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
umm...i dunno...maybe cuz its a great game?
REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 REVENGEotSITH
Member since 2003 • 3938 Posts

Cause hunting people down and blasting them into chunks is awesome. Multilayer is just so intense I love it. Also, I love the mechanics, universal A button, and the cover system. More games need cover systems. And the crem de la crem........

ROADIE RUN!

Private_Vegas

I'm with you, Vegas.  I got 21 kills in a GRAW 2 team sharpshooter match (8v8 to 50 points) last night.  Later, I played some Gears Execution matches.  I can't say that any of those 21 kills in GRAW were as "satisfying" as getting one kill in Gears.  You get a kill in Gears, and you get so much more satisfaction than just plucking a guy with your sniper as he comes around a corner, like in GRAW.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Personally, I think people are just getting wowed by the graphics. I played the game last weekend, and the gameplay was pretty much meh to me (but, then again, I don't care for shooters too much so I am slightly biased here).

blurb1324

You pretty much stated why your opinion doesn't matter much here.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
i personally don't see why either i've playe it countless times and although it's fun to me it just seemed like killswitch on 360 but to each his own
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Puckhog04

i personally don't see why either i've playe it countless times and although it's fun to me it just seemed like killswitch on 360 but to each his ownRagashahs

Gears of War is so beyond Killswitch it's sad that people still make a comparison. The only similarities between the two games is the cover system, and even with that considered, the cover system in Gears is so far beyond Killswitch the comparison is a joke.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i personally don't see why either i've playe it countless times and although it's fun to me it just seemed like killswitch on 360 but to each his ownPuckhog04

Gears of War is so beyond Killswitch it's sad that people still make a comparison. The only similarities between the two games is the cover system, and even with that considered, the cover system in Gears is so far beyond Killswitch the comparison is a joke.

the cover system is esentailly the same with blind fire, peak and fire, and all and weapons wise it nothing special except for that weird satilite lasar thing(my fav). i'm not saying gears is a bad game just that it's not it's not all that it's hyped to be 

REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 REVENGEotSITH
Member since 2003 • 3938 Posts

i personally don't see why either i've playe it countless times and although it's fun to me it just seemed like killswitch on 360 but to each his ownRagashahs

I don't see how this is always brought up and used as a negative.  Gears is a great game.  It looks great and plays great.  To say it plays like killswitch means.... what, exactly?  That its bad?  So any game from here on out that uses a cover system is just like killswitch and, thus, sucks? 

Medjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Medjai
Member since 2003 • 3839 Posts

Becuase it does alot of things well...above avg adv multiplayer, above avg campaign, ablity to play thru the campain coop over xbl, great sound, some cool gameplay elements, duck and cover has some problems but it is a great gameplay mechanic, and the best graphics on the market...add all thoses up and its a fun game AAA for sure, the best game ever not at all but I enjoy it.

blurb1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blurb1324
Member since 2004 • 4551 Posts
[QUOTE="blurb1324"]

Puckhog04

Yes, I know that. That's exactly why I'm asking for others opinions :|
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Puckhog04
[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i personally don't see why either i've playe it countless times and although it's fun to me it just seemed like killswitch on 360 but to each his ownRagashahs

the cover system is esentailly the same with blind fire, peak and fire, and all and weapons wise it nothing special except for that weird satilite lasar thing(my fav). i'm not saying gears is a bad game just that it's not it's not all that it's hyped to be 

Go and play Killswitch again (i have lately) and then go and play Gears of War again. The cover system in Gears is far far beyond Killswitch. The fact that you don't know this leads me to believe that you either haven't played Killswitch (or Gears for that matter) or you didn't play very long. Seriously, go play both again. You will see just how far ahead Gears is with it's cover system.

Blind fire and Peaking and firing about the only thing that both cover systems have in common.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Puckhog04
[QUOTE="Puckhog04"][QUOTE="blurb1324"]

blurb1324

Yes, I know that. That's exactly why I'm asking for others opinions :|

Can't you just look at reviews? Heh, it makes sense to me. You're going to get alot of biased responses on system wars. There's no guarantee that some of these people have even played it. Heh, up to you.

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
It's fun.  You obviously don't like it that much, but a lot of other people do.  I do hate how the lemmings here act like Gears and Halo are the greatest games ever created, though.  I mean, Gears is good but not that good.  I think GS overrated it as well; 9.3 is what I would have given it.  To even consider that this game is on the same level as Resident Evil 4 is laughable.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="Ragashahs"][QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i personally don't see why either i've playe it countless times and although it's fun to me it just seemed like killswitch on 360 but to each his ownPuckhog04

Go and play Killswitch again (i have lately) and then go and play Gears of War again. The cover system in Gears is far far beyond Killswitch. The fact that you don't know this leads me to believe that you either haven't played Killswitch (or Gears for that matter) or you didn't play very long. Seriously, go play both again. You will see just how far ahead Gears is with it's cover system.

Blind fire and Peaking and firing about the only thing that both cover systems have in common.

isnt killswitch gameplay mainly about taking cover? i never had the chance to play the game myself but i do remember watching previews of the game and not liking the limited amount of movement you can do in the game.

Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

It's a solid shooter.  Whatever you may believe about it's score, it's AAA atleast. 

You'd be hardpressed to find a better shooter at all.  The SP and co-op are great, the weapons are great and all useful, the cover system is fluid, and the MP is nice as well. 

If you don't like shooters, there's your problem. 

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Puckhog04
[QUOTE="Puckhog04"][QUOTE="Ragashahs"][QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]i personally don't see why either i've playe it countless times and although it's fun to me it just seemed like killswitch on 360 but to each his ownlawlessx

isnt killswitch gameplay mainly about taking cover? i never had the chance to play the game myself but i do remember watching previews of the game and not liking the limited amount of movement you can do in the game.

The extent of the cover system was essentially: Get into cover, Blind fire here, peak and pick off a guy there. Jump out of cover. That was the extent of the cover system in Killswitch. But, yes, the entire game is essentially utilizing the cover system. It's a great game but the cover system in Gears if vastly superior in everyway. Yea, the movement in Killswitch is soft of limited (especially in cover), but not to where it's no fun to play.