Why I consider Nuts and Bolts to be a graphics elite.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

well see, I know this is just another graphics thread, but tbh Im sick of people talking about games like gears of war, killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 as being so amazing, yet nobody seems to mention Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

SOP, I am going to post screenshots that I have captured myself to show off.
I do realize that this game's graphics do not exceed Uncharted's but I still think they are up there with gears 2 and killzone 2.

I know I probably seem like a fanboy right now, but I really wanted an excuse to post these shots. :P

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I agree one of the best looking games...oh and Kameo is still one of the best looking games around too....Rare makes pretty games

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

Oh heck yes and I'm on-board with this, in fact in all those gfx king threads i always mention Banjo N&B myself. :)

Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Blixxed
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

They do there art style well.

Just like BlazBlue did it's different from the rest of the crowd, and it was extremely well done.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Uncharted 2 is miles ahead of everything else. Absolutely astounding.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dragonfly110

Uncharted 2 is miles ahead of everything else. Absolutely astounding.wstfld

while I agre it is a head of console games, it is not MILES ahead. I think that it just has many small differences that make it greater in gfx then the competition.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Yeah, the game looks great!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
looket dat kiddie game! :P
CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

Uncharted 2 is miles ahead of everything else. Absolutely astounding.wstfld

lol

anyway, yeah it actually has style to it which is nice to see. kameo and viva pinata were also both very cosmetically appealing, and didnt have the same drab 'omg SO REAL' look a lot of games go for. some scrub mentioned blazblue, it had a nice look as well.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dragonfly110

looket dat kiddie game! :PJandurin

lol actually the banjo kazooie series has always been knwon for having a lot of hidden mature humour in it so ha I win lol :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]looket dat kiddie game! :Pdragonfly110

lol actually the banjo kazooie series has always been knwon for having a lot of hidden mature humour in it so ha I win lol :P

i've never really played banjo kazooie :o Not into 3D platformers much
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
I actually thought Ratchet and Clank looked far better then Banjo when comparing simliar style games. Ratchet and Clank does feel like playing as close to a Pixar movie as any game has gotten this gen.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dragonfly110

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]looket dat kiddie game! :PJandurin

Im disapointed in you sir, the banjo kazooie series (especially TOoie) are the greatest platformers that the world has ever seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
It for sure looks fantastic.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dragonfly110

I actually thought Ratchet and Clank looked far better then Banjo when comparing simliar style games. Ratchet and Clank does feel like playing as close to a Pixar movie as any game has gotten this gen.Javy03

meh, the ratchet games are impressive, but I dont feel as though they even come close to touching Nuts and bolts, or even Little Big Planet TBH with you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Im disapointed in you sir, the banjo kazooie series (especially TOoie) are the greatest platformers that the world has ever seen.

dragonfly110
2D platformers > 3D Never really played more than a bit of any of them. R&C meh, Banjo meh, sly cooper meh, jak and daxter meh, 3D mario meh (except SMG)
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

It looks good, but certainly not a graphics elite. Maybe if it was released in 2004.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dragonfly110

It looks good, but certainly not a graphics elite. Maybe if it was released in 2004.

RyuRanVII

are you joking? I mean thats fine, I can see you not thinking its a graphic elite, but 2004? have you even played the game?

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Javy03

[QUOTE="Javy03"]I actually thought Ratchet and Clank looked far better then Banjo when comparing simliar style games. Ratchet and Clank does feel like playing as close to a Pixar movie as any game has gotten this gen.dragonfly110

meh, the ratchet games are impressive, but I dont feel as though they even come close to touching Nuts and bolts, or even Little Big Planet TBH with you.

Really?? When you say "come close to touching" do you mean gameplay or graphics because if it's gameplay, I definately prefer Ratchet over Banjo Nuts and Bolts with Little Big Planet taking the top spot. But if your referring to graphics I don't see Banjo coming close to the Pixar feel like Ratchet and Clank. Here are some pics:

I mean it all comes down to personal preference but the amount of detail in the environment and character models in Ratchet and Clank amazed me. I mean when reviewers reviewed Ratchet and Clank the comparison to Pixar movies was a consistant theme. However when reviewers spoke about Nuts and Bolts I don't recall them even concieving of comparing the animation to Pixar.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
Banjo looks all kinds of awesome. Fact.
player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts

I guess the game needed better voice actors or something, but BK: N&B is impressive inthe graphics department.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Willy105
Ratchet and Clank's in-game cutscene animations are impressive. But it doesn't carry over to gameplay. And it is only as good as Dreamworks quality, not Pixar. Banjo however looks best in gameplay.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dragonfly110

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="Javy03"]I actually thought Ratchet and Clank looked far better then Banjo when comparing simliar style games. Ratchet and Clank does feel like playing as close to a Pixar movie as any game has gotten this gen.Javy03

Really?? When you say "come close to touching" do you mean gameplay or graphics because if it's gameplay, I definately prefer Ratchet over Banjo Nuts and Bolts with Little Big Planet taking the top spot. But if your referring to graphics I don't see Banjo coming close to the Pixar feel like Ratchet and Clank. Here are some pics:

I mean it all comes down to personal preference but the amount of detail in the environment and character models in Ratchet and Clank amazed me. I mean when reviewers reviewed Ratchet and Clank the comparison to Pixar movies was a consistant theme. However when reviewers spoke about Nuts and Bolts I don't recall them even concieving of comparing the animation to Pixar.

actually (while not in reviews) several sites claimed that Nuts and Bolt's graphics WERE equal to, all of pixars older movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Ratchet and Clank's in-game cutscene animations are impressive. But it doesn't carry over to gameplay. And it is only as good as Dreamworks quality, not Pixar. Banjo however looks best in gameplay.Willy105

O_o Have you played the two games and watched Kung Fu Panda in HD? I'm not so sure you have. :?

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

It looks really good. I've never played it though.

UC2 is unrivaled.

From my experience playing it, it looks better than bullshots :)

I was kind of expecting disappointment. But I was wrong

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts
I think some games are really underrated graphically this gen. Wipeout HD, for example, is one of the best looking games out there and it's almost never mentioned when talking about graphic kings.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Its up there with LBP and thats as far it goes, its nowhere near gears and KZ2? come on bro....

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Javy03
Ratchet and Clank's in-game cutscene animations are impressive. But it doesn't carry over to gameplay. And it is only as good as Dreamworks quality, not Pixar. Banjo however looks best in gameplay.Willy105
Those pictures I posted, 2 out of three are in game gameplay. 1 is a cutscene but they use the same graphics. Obviosly when you have the camera further away it's not as impressive but if you adjust the camera you can see the detail. I am not sure how cutscenes made with in game graphics would look better then the in game gameplay graphics?
-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

Why does this game get so much hate? I haven't personally played it but it looks like fun and im sure the graphics are some nice eye candy.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Javy03

actually (while not in reviews) several sites claimed that Nuts and Bolt's graphics WERE equal to, all of pixars older movies.

dragonfly110

It definatly looks good but I would never compare nuts and bolts to Pixar. What sites claimed that, were they blogs? Nuts and Bolts reminds me of some of the lower budget dreamworks CG movies but definatly not the charm and character models of Pixar IMO.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Javy03

Why does this game get so much hate? I haven't personally played it but it looks like fun and im sure the graphics are some nice eye candy.

-supercharged-
It get's hate because its the sequal to a great platformer but they changed the gameplay drastically making it feel more like a racer then the classic gameplay it was known for.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="Javy03"]I actually thought Ratchet and Clank looked far better then Banjo when comparing simliar style games. Ratchet and Clank does feel like playing as close to a Pixar movie as any game has gotten this gen.Javy03

I mean it all comes down to personal preference but the amount of detail in the environment and character models in Ratchet and Clank amazed me. I mean when reviewers reviewed Ratchet and Clank the comparison to Pixar movies was a consistant theme. However when reviewers spoke about Nuts and Bolts I don't recall them even concieving of comparing the animation to Pixar

The difference is that Banjo is open world and you are not locked in on a linear path like majority of the Ratchet and Clank levels, Ratchet is probably able to achieve a little more because of this.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Looks pretty good but if you want to compare games of the same style, Ratchet And Clank puts it to shame TBH.
Exactlamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Exactlamento
Member since 2009 • 181 Posts

I agree one of the best looking games...oh and Kameo is still one of the best looking games around too....Rare makes pretty games

chikenfriedrice
Exactlamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Exactlamento
Member since 2009 • 181 Posts

chikenfriedrice

Ok i agree that banjoo is graphically amazing even tho it is cartoonish...Kameo...yeah that game looks terrible. Not even for back then

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dragonfly110

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

Exactlamento

Ok i agree that banjoo is graphically amazing even tho it is cartoonish...Kameo...yeah that game looks terrible. Not even for back then

areyou serious? I thought kameo looked pretty amazing, especially with how much was going on at the screen at one time. I do admit it doesnt seem as amazing today with games like Banjo ratchet and Clank and all the others, but its still a pretty game.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

it really does look amazing. Seeing shodown town for the first time and taking in the scope was one of the few times i was left in awe this gen.

Makes me giddy thinking how Conker will look.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

i agree on you point,

but not on your choice of game.

artistic games > technicly impressive/realistic games

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
It's certainly is pleasing to the eyes, it's so different from the norm that it shows it's artistic design. That's what I liked about VC too but seemed like the watercolor details could've looked better, but they're still good.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Really think Ratchet and Clank games look better.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#42 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
noo, it's too kiddy. I want my game to have boobs, guns and as dark as possible. I'm too dumb to play deep games, I just want to shoot my way out instead of solving them with puzzles. Seriously, Banjo Nuts and Bolts strike a great balance between technical and artistic graphics. The results are just gorgeous.
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

noo, it's too kiddy. I want my game to have boobs, guns and as dark as possible. I'm too dumb to play deep games, I just want to shoot my way out instead of solving them with puzzles. Seriously, Banjo Nuts and Bolts strike a great balance between technical and artistic graphics. The results are just gorgeous.hiphops_savior

You don't have to be dumb to prefer shallow games. Why would i want to play a flight sim when i can play Fifa 10?

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]looket dat kiddie game! :PJandurin

I'm not really into them either, but I thought the first Banjo was more enjoyable than Mario 64, although it was a bit easy.

On topic, I too wondered why no one mentions the graphics to nuts and bolts in graphics threads, I thought it was just another stupid unwritten SW rule that it doesn't count or something for what ever reason.

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

Kameo, Viva Pinata and BKNB are all awesome. Great gfx great games. I think Rare is awesome this gen.

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
but what a horrible game... rare always do well graphically .. technically anyway, sometimes the art direction is a bit wrong (PDZ!)
boxofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 boxofwit
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

N&B is a brilliant game, I love the art style of all Rare's recent games.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"]Ratchet and Clank's in-game cutscene animations are impressive. But it doesn't carry over to gameplay. And it is only as good as Dreamworks quality, not Pixar. Banjo however looks best in gameplay.Javy03
Those pictures I posted, 2 out of three are in game gameplay. 1 is a cutscene but they use the same graphics. Obviosly when you have the camera further away it's not as impressive but if you adjust the camera you can see the detail. I am not sure how cutscenes made with in game graphics would look better then the in game gameplay graphics?

I am talking about the animations. They are superb in the cutscenses, but in-game, they are segmented and rough. They don't blend together when going from one action to another, making the game look worse in motion.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I agree, I guess the colors and art style just overshadows how good the graphics really are.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Anyway, enough of this silly talk.The stylized graphics king arrives later this month.

ratchet