Why does 360 scatch disks, but PS3, Wii, laptops etc... dont't????

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 elm_street_kid
Member since 2003 • 1354 Posts
I bought a $60 game and it's not even a day old and now it doesn't work. I did not move my 360 from vertical to horizontal. It was vertical and I simply moved it to the left without tilting it at all.,.AT ALL. wtf. I mean I hardly moved the thing. It's a brand new slim model. Why is it the 360 has this problem so much more then other electronics? I saw that you can buy foam padding to stop this from happening... so why doesn't MS just have the foam as part of the design? I don't care about MS vs Sony vs Nintendo I'm just really pissed off right now. The game isn;t even a day old and now it's useless. Wasted money. There's nothing I hate more than wasted money... I hate that feeling so much. Does MS not have any standards when it comes to QA or what??? I tried the baking soda toothpaste fix on the disk as well as car wax... neither worked. I will see if I can find some shop locally that does disk repair.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Makes more game bought for M$.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
Unlike the Ps3, Wii and PC, the OLDER 360 models don't have a rubber material around the disc area. So thats why they get scratched, even if you don't move them.
poorfamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 poorfamz
Member since 2010 • 303 Posts
Inferior technology And Blu-ray = scratch resistant
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

When my Wii was getting old about a year ago it scratched two game discs., but now I fixed that problem.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
It has a weak magnet or something keeping the disc in place, I think that's the reason.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yeah the idiots could have prevented the whole thing by installing a 5 cent bumper to keep the disc from touching the eye when someone moves the system.

totally lame design flaw.

btw, don't move your system when it's running. i've been lucky this entire gen and it never happened to me.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Makes more game bought for M$.MonsieurX
lol, you read my mind.
telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Yeah i hate that, happened to me once Far Cry 2 got messed up but it was an ok game anyways. I do also hate wasting money, for instance i bought a laptop on craiglist for $600 bucks yesterday and today the mother board fried i didnt do anything but installed the drivers on that thing and to replace it its $560 bucks. I fell like crap right now. Never will i buy anything on craiglist again or used.

Magik85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Magik85
Member since 2009 • 1078 Posts
I have 360 since 2006 (Premium model, on of the oldest without HDMI) and ive never had any problems with disc scratching :S
broken_ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 broken_ops
Member since 2011 • 183 Posts
funny, ive never had that problem with the few games i have for the 360. then again ive also never moved the console with the disc inside. the sole reason it happened to u is because u moved the 360. theres a reason they say do not move the 360 AT ALL when a disc is inside, u found out the hard way. great job
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

Lol at this:P

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 elm_street_kid

yeah the idiots could have prevented the whole thing by installing a 5 cent bumper to keep the disc from touching the eye when someone moves the system.

btw, don't move your system when it's running. i've been lucky this entire gen and it never happened to me.

Riverwolf007
Yeah I know... I knew it had that problem but I just wasn't thinking. The thing is I HARDLY moved it at all... and I didn't tilt it even a little. This is ridiculous... f-you MS. $60 might not be much to you but it is for me. I just switched from PS3 to 360 too... I want to punch somebody in the face right now.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yeah i hate that, happened to me once Far Cry 2 got messed up but it was an ok game anyways. I do also hate wasting money, for instance i bought a laptop on craiglist for $600 bucks yesterday and today the mother board fried i didnt do anything but installed the drivers on that thing and to replace it its $560 bucks. I fell like crap right now. Never will i buy anything on craiglist again or used.

telefanatic
Just got out of luck,nothing related to craiglist
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Never happened to me, my 360 is laying flat and I never move it when it's on or playing a game, still they should have had this fixed with the redesign the Wii and PS3 both don't have this design flaw.
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

my 360 has never scratched a disc and I keep mine vertical

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#17 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Because it is an F'ing stupid design. All there is to it really.
elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 elm_street_kid
funny, ive never had that problem with the few games i have for the 360. then again ive also never moved the console with the disc inside. the sole reason it happened to u is because u moved the 360. theres a reason they say do not move the 360 AT ALL when a disc is inside, u found out the hard way. great jobbroken_ops
I hardly moved the thing man. Very small movement and NO tilt at all. My mistake for touching it at all but it should not be that easy to f*ck a disk up. You would know if you saw how little I moved the thing. It just makes me even more angry when other devices don't do this and that this might not have happened if MS could just put some f*cking FOAM in there. I'm scared to even f*cking tap the thing now if it's on...
telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

[QUOTE="telefanatic"]

MonsieurX

Yeah i feel burned, the guy i bought it from knew something was wrong with ithe wont answer my calls or texts, i tested the computer for little bit at his house that was it didnt find any problems then. When i got home it was a nightmare i thought it was the drivers but no blue screens of death every ten minutes till it died. Anyways thats a lesson not to buy used expensive electronics.

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 elm_street_kid
Unlike the Ps3, Wii and PC, the OLDER 360 models don't have a rubber material around the disc area. So thats why they get scratched, even if you don't move them.LastRambo341
The 360 I have I just got brand new 2 days ago, a slim 4GB model.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]Unlike the Ps3, Wii and PC, the OLDER 360 models don't have a rubber material around the disc area. So thats why they get scratched, even if you don't move them.elm_street_kid

It's still missing the rubber piece.
elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 elm_street_kid

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="telefanatic"]

telefanatic

Yeah i feel burned, the guy i bought it from knew something was wrong with ithe wont answer my calls or texts, i tested the computer for little bit at his house that was it didnt find any problems then. When i got home it was a nightmare i thought it was the drivers but no blue screens of death every ten minutes till it died. Anyways thats a lesson not to buy used expensive electronics.

Sorry to hear that... that really sucks. Sorry
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
Another problem its harder to sell used 360 games if they have some scratches.This is an annoyance and you'll have to sell it a bit cheaper than you would on PS3.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

I bought a $60 game and it's not even a day old and now it doesn't work. I did not move my 360 from vertical to horizontal. It was vertical and I simply moved it to the left without tilting it at all.,.AT ALL. wtf. I mean I hardly moved the thing. It's a brand new slim model. Why is it the 360 has this problem so much more then other electronics? I saw that you can buy foam padding to stop this from happening... so why doesn't MS just have the foam as part of the design? I don't care about MS vs Sony vs Nintendo I'm just really pissed off right now. The game isn;t even a day old and now it's useless. Wasted money. There's nothing I hate more than wasted money... I hate that feeling so much. Does MS not have any standards when it comes to QA or what??? I tried the baking soda toothpaste fix on the disk as well as car wax... neither worked. I will see if I can find some shop locally that does disk repair. elm_street_kid

Two words: Quality Control.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="telefanatic"]

telefanatic

Buying used electronics:(

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 elm_street_kid
[QUOTE="elm_street_kid"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"]Unlike the Ps3, Wii and PC, the OLDER 360 models don't have a rubber material around the disc area. So thats why they get scratched, even if you don't move them.MFDOOM1983

If this is so easily avoidable, then how is it even possible that it's not part of the design? HOW??!?!!!!!???? I don't get it. I want to drive up to MS right now and grab the designers and shake them and ask wtf is wrong with you.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="elm_street_kid"] The 360 I have I just got brand new 2 days ago, a slim 4GB model.elm_street_kid

If this is so easily avoidable, then how is it even possible that it's not part of the design? HOW??!?!!!!!???? I don't get it. I want to drive up to MS right now and grab the designers and shake them and ask wtf is wrong with you.

5 cent rubber piece x 50 mil = $2.5 million Cutting corners is what these businesses do.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

They save about $1 per dvd drive that comes without rubber protection. That yields more profits.
Several consumer watchdogs have reported these kind of disc scratching WITHOUT THE DAMN CONSOLE MOVING. There are some experiments done
Just search ''Kassa 360'' on youtube, Kassa is an dutch consumer watchdog that makes television programs about scams.
Microsoft, cutting corners since 2006.

This is what happens when a SOFTWARE company tries to make hardware. It can never be good.

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 elm_street_kid

[QUOTE="elm_street_kid"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] It's still missing the rubber piece. MFDOOM1983

5 cent rubber piece x 50 mil = $2.5 million Cutting corners is what these businesses do. ------------------------------------------- They save about $1 per dvd drive that comes without rubber protection. That yields more profits. Several consumer watchdogs have reported these kind of disc scratching WITHOUT THE DAMN CONSOLE MOVING. There are some experiments done Just search ''Kassa 360'' on youtube, Kassa is an dutch consumer watchdog that makes television programs about scams. Microsoft, cutting corners since 2006. This is what happens when a SOFTWARE company tries to make hardware. It can never be good.

How about this... They dip into some of that extra money they made from charging $100 dollars for a WiFi adapter and buy some foam. They should get some guys in accounting to do some number crunching... I'm sure they can figure something out and still keep the company afloat.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
This is what happens when a SOFTWARE company tries to make hardware. It can never be good.Locutus_Picard
The first Xbox was quite reliable, and so is the the S. And being a technology company doesn't reliability, as the PS2 showed.
Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts
[QUOTE="Locutus_Picard"]This is what happens when a SOFTWARE company tries to make hardware. It can never be good.IronBass
The first Xbox was quite reliable, and so is the the S. And being a technology company doesn't reliability, as the PS2 showed.

Well, Sony learned from their mistakes with PS2. However it's just plain idiocy to go from a reliable xbox to a nuclear meltdown called the 360.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Riverwolf007

it wouldn't have fixed the problem. The wii has such measures and guess what?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080702074812AA4U71q

and thats just one incident found through google.
whenever you have a disc running at 8k+ rpm then movement will make the disc try and reorient it self in a gryoscopic affect it happends on ps2 when in verticle, it happens on wii, 360.
the ps3's 2x bluray runs far slower in terms of rpm then the 360 or wii or ps2 for that matter and I don't see many PC's with their optical disc set in vertical or being wobbled around.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="elm_street_kid"] If this is so easily avoidable, then how is it even possible that it's not part of the design? HOW??!?!!!!!???? I don't get it. I want to drive up to MS right now and grab the designers and shake them and ask wtf is wrong with you.elm_street_kid

5 cent rubber piece x 50 mil = $2.5 million Cutting corners is what these businesses do. ------------------------------------------- They save about $1 per dvd drive that comes without rubber protection. That yields more profits. Several consumer watchdogs have reported these kind of disc scratching WITHOUT THE DAMN CONSOLE MOVING. There are some experiments done Just search ''Kassa 360'' on youtube, Kassa is an dutch consumer watchdog that makes television programs about scams. Microsoft, cutting corners since 2006. This is what happens when a SOFTWARE company tries to make hardware. It can never be good.

How about this... They dip into some of that extra money they made from charging $100 dollars for a WiFi adapter and buy some foam. They should get some guys in accounting to do some number crunching... I'm sure they can figure something out and still keep the company afloat.

Customers should complain more.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Well, Sony learned from their mistakes with PS2. However it's just plain idiocy to go from a reliable xbox to a nuclear meltdown called the 360.Locutus_Picard
Indeed, it was a idiotic, and costed MS quite a lot of money. But the extended warrant covered all significant problems, the newer and S models are quite reliable, the 360 still sold very well and managed to get a lot of 3rd party support, so at the end everything worked fine.
broken_ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 broken_ops
Member since 2011 • 183 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Locutus_Picard"]This is what happens when a SOFTWARE company tries to make hardware. It can never be good.Locutus_Picard

Well, Sony learned from their mistakes with PS2. However it's just plain idiocy to go from a reliable xbox to a nuclear meltdown called the 360.

the older ps3s had problems with ylod, lets not forget about that;) sure, it wasnt as bad as RROD early on with the 360,but the problem DOES exist for those older ps3s, including the first 80gbs am i right?? luckily for me my launch 60gb is still alive and well, as is my 360 i have had for nearly 2 years now

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 elm_street_kid
WilliamRLBaker- What about laptops tho? I don't make a habit of it, but I have picked mine up before while a DVD is spinning and move it at different angles and nothing happens. I know you have to be careful of these things and take care of your stuff but I swear... my movement with the 360 was so small it's just crazy how much damage was done to the disk(and my wallet).
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6965 Posts

You know that you aren't supposed to move any non-portable electronic device with a spinning disk drive in it while it is running and yet you do so and then complain when something goes wrong?

Sure MS may have the weakest design, but you shouldn't do so with any of them. Hence, no sympathy for you.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
I have 360 since 2006 (Premium model, on of the oldest without HDMI) and ive never had any problems with disc scratching :SMagik85
None of my games have been scratched either. It did scratch some DVD's, but they were still playable. I suggest you don't put your XBox 360 Vertical. I keep my horizontal and nothing gets scratch. The new XBox 360I believe do have a bumper in place so your disks should get scratched. If your disk is scratched, it may have gotten scratched outside of the XBox 360.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Unlike the Ps3, Wii and PC, the OLDER 360 models don't have a rubber material around the disc area. So thats why they get scratched, even if you don't move them.LastRambo341

hardware at its finest :P

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 elm_street_kid

You know that you aren't supposed to move any non-portable electronic device with a spinning disk drive in it while it is running and yet you do so and then complain when something goes wrong?

Sure MS may have the weakest design, but you shouldn't do so with any of them. Hence, no sympathy for you.

SUD123456
It was a mistake on my part. I'm just saying that the damage happened too easy... Way too easy. It was a small, small non-tilt movement. I'm not asking for sympathy I just came on here to ask people who know about this stuff if there was any simple thing MS could have done to reduce the chances of this happening. They have plenty of money and if they are being cheap I want to know about it. I
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

It was a mistake on my part. I'm just saying that the damage happened too easy... Way too easy. It was a small, small non-tilt movement. I'm not asking for sympathy I just came on here to ask people who know about this stuff if there was any simple thing MS could have done to reduce the chances of this happening. They have plenty of money and if they are being cheap I want to know about it. Ielm_street_kid

So what game did it scratch?

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Makes more game bought for M$.abuabed
lol, you read my mind.

Thirded
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

FYI, the scratches can occur even when you keep your 360 in horizontal position and never, ever move it while the disc is spinning. It's a known design flaw with the console.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Because MS made it with crap components to trick people into selling their children so that they could buy moar Kinect games, obvz.

elm_street_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 elm_street_kid

[QUOTE="elm_street_kid"]It was a mistake on my part. I'm just saying that the damage happened too easy... Way too easy. It was a small, small non-tilt movement. I'm not asking for sympathy I just came on here to ask people who know about this stuff if there was any simple thing MS could have done to reduce the chances of this happening. They have plenty of money and if they are being cheap I want to know about it. Iwaltefmoney

So what game did it scratch?

Freaking imported Japanese copy of Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force. I just bought some cheap $10 used games too, and I almost was gonna play one of those first.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Because M$ is all about low quality, ever since they exist.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
Because Microsoft didn't buy a little 25 cent bumper to guard the laser lens so it doesn't scratch the free floating spinning disc.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

They save about $1 per dvd drive that comes without rubber protection. That yields more profits.
Several consumer watchdogs have reported these kind of disc scratching WITHOUT THE DAMN CONSOLE MOVING. There are some experiments done
Just search ''Kassa 360'' on youtube, Kassa is an dutch consumer watchdog that makes television programs about scams.
Microsoft, cutting corners since 2006.

This is what happens when a SOFTWARE company tries to make hardware. It can never be good.

Locutus_Picard

The $1 is the minimun they make. I-m sure they make more by selling the same game several times.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
I bought a $60 game and it's not even a day old and now it doesn't work. I did not move my 360 from vertical to horizontal. It was vertical and I simply moved it to the left without tilting it at all.,.AT ALL. wtf. I mean I hardly moved the thing. It's a brand new slim model. Why is it the 360 has this problem so much more then other electronics? I saw that you can buy foam padding to stop this from happening... so why doesn't MS just have the foam as part of the design? I don't care about MS vs Sony vs Nintendo I'm just really pissed off right now. The game isn;t even a day old and now it's useless. Wasted money. There's nothing I hate more than wasted money... I hate that feeling so much. Does MS not have any standards when it comes to QA or what??? I tried the baking soda toothpaste fix on the disk as well as car wax... neither worked. I will see if I can find some shop locally that does disk repair. elm_street_kid
you hate wasting money but you bought an xbox
The_RedLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The_RedLion
Member since 2009 • 1942 Posts
Because M$ is all about low quality, ever since they exist.kuraimen
No that's Sony. Just google DRE :lol: