why do you care so much about graphics?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
back in the golden age of gaming people were happy with any graphics. But now its all about how the games look. its getting so bad that devs have to cut back on games and make them for every system to make money on games. i think hardware should improve but it should not be pushed so hard so fast. The reason why i love ds so much. Its got great games that are fun. its simple and easy to use . on top of that there all cheap . If we want gaming to be main stream making us paying 60$ a game and more in other areas is not going to help. consoles should be cheaper and more simple as well. The HD gaming was rushed this gen. thats why ps3 was so expsive . alot of the big games cant even run in HD witch makes me ask why should we pay more for upscaled games?
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
coz they look pretty n stuff, the golden age cared too
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Back in the day I was going nuts over HL1 graphics. Everyone loves graphics. Graphics are what allow games to become more complex, like picking up guns on the ground in a first person shooter, or shooting a rope bridge that enemies are on and killing them all in one sweep. Without good graphics, we can't do things like this that allow us more freedom in games. Take Crysis for example, with the amazing engine we can traverse an entire island in one level without any load times, we can encounter multiple enemies in multiple areas or we can go off and explore the island for search of more firearms.

Without graphics: objects wouldn't go kaboom, bullets wouldn't penetrate walls and enemy bodies, Physics wouldn't be where they are today either and there are many more examples.

Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
Allows fanboys to gloat about whihc can looks better not plays
Steakdinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Steakdinner
Member since 2004 • 478 Posts

Back in the day I was going nuts over HL1 graphics. Everyone loves graphics. Graphics are what allow games to become more complex, like picking up guns on the ground in a first person shooter, or shooting a rope bridge that enemies are on and killing them all in one sweep. Without good graphics, we can't do things like this that allow us more freedom in games. Take Crysis for example, with the amazing engine we can traverse an entire island in one level without any load times, we can encounter multiple enemies in multiple areas or we can go off and explore the island for search of more firearms.

Without graphics: objects wouldn't go kaboom, bullets wouldn't penetrate walls and enemy bodies, Physics wouldn't be where they are today either and there are many more examples.

DragonfireXZ95

Yeah I agree with this guy, im a huge graphics whore lol, and i can admit it. I think its just a natural progression, as gaming gets better i want to see better graphics, better physics, better voice acting..well..everything really. I want things to feel like an improvment over last generation, otherwise it feels stale and played out. Im finding myself dissappointed in games that dont bother to add damage to windows or walls when i shoot them now, or interactability to random objects in the game! LOL 10 years ago that would of been top of the tier gaming, but now i want it to be a given. Games are expensive now adays, and i really HATE regretting my purchases.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts

DragonfireXZ95

wow that was prefound, i got real emotinal at the part about the kaboom. *sniff*

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts
because, regardless of what some people here think, graphics are important as well and they DO matter
Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eragon_11
Member since 2004 • 5022 Posts

Graphics are part of the experience.

good graphics make a good game better. Fact.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts

Eragon_11

Lair >_>

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
back in the golden age of gaming people were happy with any graphics. But now its all about how the games look. its getting so bad that devs have to cut back on games and make them for every system to make money on games. i think hardware should improve but it should not be pushed so hard so fast. The reason why i love ds so much. Its got great games that are fun. its simple and easy to use . on top of that there all cheap . If we want gaming to be main stream making us paying 60$ a game and more in other areas is not going to help. consoles should be cheaper and more simple as well. The HD gaming was rushed this gen. thats why ps3 was so expsive . alot of the big games cant even run in HD witch makes me ask why should we pay more for upscaled games?deadmeat59
everything over 480p is HD /thread
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deadmeat59
[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]back in the golden age of gaming people were happy with any graphics. But now its all about how the games look. its getting so bad that devs have to cut back on games and make them for every system to make money on games. i think hardware should improve but it should not be pushed so hard so fast. The reason why i love ds so much. Its got great games that are fun. its simple and easy to use . on top of that there all cheap . If we want gaming to be main stream making us paying 60$ a game and more in other areas is not going to help. consoles should be cheaper and more simple as well. The HD gaming was rushed this gen. thats why ps3 was so expsive . alot of the big games cant even run in HD witch makes me ask why should we pay more for upscaled games?Dante2710

lowest hd=720p
AndYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 AndYOU
Member since 2005 • 6712 Posts
I don't really care. I love games with good graphics, but if it has last gen graphics, and a terrific plot and gameplay, I'm cool
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deadmeat59
[QUOTE="Dante2710"][QUOTE="deadmeat59"]back in the golden age of gaming people were happy with any graphics. But now its all about how the games look. its getting so bad that devs have to cut back on games and make them for every system to make money on games. i think hardware should improve but it should not be pushed so hard so fast. The reason why i love ds so much. Its got great games that are fun. its simple and easy to use . on top of that there all cheap . If we want gaming to be main stream making us paying 60$ a game and more in other areas is not going to help. consoles should be cheaper and more simple as well. The HD gaming was rushed this gen. thats why ps3 was so expsive . alot of the big games cant even run in HD witch makes me ask why should we pay more for upscaled games?deadmeat59

lowest hd=720p

sony said they will have 1080p 4d graphics running at 120 fps lol it has problems doing 720p at 60 in 3d
Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Eragon_11
Member since 2004 • 5022 Posts
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"]

Sonick54

Lair >_>

;) the important part in bold
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

MS rushed sony's hand by introducing the 360too early. Thus the 360 was so flaky (hardware-wise) and sonys ps3 was so expensive.

MechaDragon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MechaDragon92
Member since 2005 • 47 Posts
If they ever made a CG Lair movie, I would be the first to go and see it, but the game had a god-awful control scheme. Disproves "graphics make a game good" in a big way
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
I agree that people are putting too much emphasive on graphics.... even ahead of gameplay... Personally, the features in a game is usually what makes me buy it. I read about Starsiege Tribes v1 back in the days and when it was about to be release, I went to the store week after week... Then it came out. And I read the back of the box and imagine how cool those feature would be to play. I bought it right there... went home, installed it my PC and played it for 3.5 yrs.

Anyway graphic is important in some games like COD4. If the graphics are not good enough, you would be easily spotted laying on your belly in the crop fields. I play COD4 and sometime I can't even see the guy or sniper out in the fields or barn until they shoot. Usually it is the UAV radar that tells me they are there. Graphics allow us in COD4 to sneak up on people slowly. In counterstrike, we can't do it. Wish the next counterstrike will have graphics as good as COD4 and I will be happy.
Tom_Brady860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tom_Brady860
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"]

Sonick54

Lair >_>

he said a "good game"

and still, graphics are the only good thing in lair,imagine Lair with Wii graphics.........

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"]

Sonick54

Lair >_>

Lair was pretty bad in almost every category.

JohnGerstmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JohnGerstmann
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

graphics in themselves isn't whats important.. its how the graphics are used in order to assist in conveying emotion, ideas, and atmosphere to a game.

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

The two easiest things to argue about are sales and graphics.

Since system wars is full of idiots, those two things are argued about constantly. Nobody really cares about graphics, its just used as a weapon for sake of system wars.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
I like to see the natural progression of things
Peaches1347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Peaches1347
Member since 2007 • 777 Posts

when someone looks at graphics something in the human mind says thts a great game but if the graphics aren't so good then we tend to not lean towards it

Bristar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bristar
Member since 2002 • 495 Posts

Why the hell wouldn't I want great graphics??

I spent $3000 on a 5 foot hdtv, and guess what? I want games to look great on it.

There is no reason not to have great graphics and great gameplay. Around it here it is just assumed that a game can only have one and not the other. I say B.S. to that.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
Humans are organic, crazy, I know, they have set biological attractions, one of them involving vision.
-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts
You'll be looking at them throughout the whole game, you would want to hope they look at least realistically good or artistically good. :?
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

artisitical desgin >>>>>>>>> photo realism

+10 bonus points for splelling!

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wemhim

Mr_Apple_Soup
I don't see why people always think artistic design is the best, I mean, Killer7 was awesome sure, but only so many games can look like that(Or with other styles), it's like watching Die Hard made with the South Park style animation, not cool.
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mr_Apple_Soup
[QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

wemhim

I don't see why people always think artistic design is the best, I mean, Killer7 was awesome sure, but only so many games can look like that(Or with other styles), it's like watching Die Hard made with the South Park style animation, not cool.

why would you use a comical design for an action thriller?

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

Mr_Apple_Soup

What I'm saying is, not everything can go the route of not being realistic.
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mr_Apple_Soup
[QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

wemhim

im just saying i like good art design like okami or SMG over GRAW or gears

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
I disagree with "its all about how games look." Take Half-Life 2. It does look pretty good, but its also a really fun game. SMG is another example. Sure, its more about graphics than ever before, but that is not the determining factor. Lair is a great example of that.
Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

A great game is great even without top of the line graphics (see SMG and old games)

Great graphics make great games even better (see Crysis)

Great Graphics do not make a bad game good (see Lair).

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

Mr_Apple_Soup

Oh, I see what you mean, yeah, they're pretty cool. But sometimes people(Not saying you), make it out to be like every game should not focus on a real look.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"]

Sonick54

Lair >_>

LOL graphics are very important but not as important as gameplay.

Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

for people that say graphics is not next gen...to them i say buy ps1 and n64

Xbxg32000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xbxg32000
Member since 2005 • 1295 Posts
If we didn't care, we wouldn't be in the high definition era that we are today. We have to push technology in order to reach new heights.

-gl hf
~Xbx
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

wemhim

Oh, I see what you mean, yeah, they're pretty cool. But sometimes people(Not saying you), make it out to be like every game should not focus on a real look.

Some games are better for artistical graphics while others are better for photorealism. If Mario was made real he would really look like a real Italian plumber and that would ruin the game and vice versa for shooters.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

lordlors

Some games are better for artistical graphics while others are better for photorealism. If Mario was made real he would really look like a real Italian plumber and that would ruin the game and vice versa for shooters.

Haha, that reminds me of a picture...
loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
If u think about it there only 2 things that make a great game and thats visuals and gameplay.Having good graphics in fact makes a game better because it helps u emmerse yourself into whatever world your playing in.Ill admit graphics dont make a game fun by itself.The game has to be fun to keep u interested but graphics are very important to me and id bet that they are to every other gamer as well.If a gamer says that he doesnt like good graphics he,or she is lying.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
If u think about it there only 2 things that make a great game and thats visuals and gameplay.Having good graphics in fact makes a game better because it helps u emmerse yourself into whatever world your playing in.Ill admit graphics dont make a game fun by itself.The game has to be fun to keep u interested but graphics are very important to me and id bet that they are to every other gamer as well.If a gamer says that he doesnt like good graphics he,or she is lying.loudharley
I like this guy.
eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
Oh believe me... people cared about graphics in the 'golden age' too... but those were in the minority i like to think. Instead of gloating about triangles per second, texture resolution, shaders and such people just gloated about max sprite capacities, sprite rotation, transparency effects and so forth, and before that about parallax scrolling, sprite size, color palette, and sound channels.
humber_matus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 humber_matus
Member since 2007 • 2101 Posts

in the golden age people didnt have computers ... we should'nt either.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
You can ask the same thing evenabout Roman times or Egyptians, why did people value great art?
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

its not only gfx, it gaming as a whole. as tech has moved on, game makers have moved on.

We have been given richer, more interactive worlds to explore, smarter enemies to fight, and greater storys to live , change, and bepart of. New technology has provided game makers with the ability to make games in new ways, and better, and more involved then ever before.

I'm sorry if your still playing a nintindo console and have not seen this kinna stuff yet, but its alot more fun then wiggling a new controller and pressing the same old jump button, in the same old game.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

hmmm why are graphics important.....?....... how about, because playing a video game is a visual experience!

Yes, Gameplay>Good Graphics, but Gameplay+Good Graphics>Gameplay Bad Graphics

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts
For me gameplay>graphics all the time but the game still needs to look decent for its time.
chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts
A prime example would be Crysis. great graphics+great gameplay=great game>Great gameplay+poor graphics.
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"]

Sonick54

Lair >_>

He said graphics make a good game better, not a bad game better.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

WTF is with this crap that the Wii has such great gameplay.....

its bull.... 75% of all Wii games are total garbage, and 100% of them have last gen gfx.

So whats the argument for this system? it boggles my mind.