Why do people say they don't want next-gen because more graphics = more $$?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kankaseni1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kankaseni1
Member since 2011 • 89 Posts

It costs almost the same to make a game with proper good graphics than let's say a CoD game.

Crysis only had a 10 million dollar budget

Witcher and Stalker series wich are to this day still superior to every console game in the visual department are made by small east European teams with far

less budget than most western AA developers. More graphics doesn't mean more expensive games. Let that be settled.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I've wondered the same thing. The cost will not really increase that much, if at all.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

Actually Crysis was $22 million :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

More graphics doesn't mean more expensive games. Let that be settled.

Kankaseni1

Actually it does. Creating more graphically advanced games requires more manpower and hours put into those tasks than creating a game that doesn't have as much emphasis on graphics. Just because there are some developers that can still excel with lower budgets does not change that fact.

BTW Crysis cost 22mil

Kankaseni1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kankaseni1
Member since 2011 • 89 Posts

IEven if it costed 22 million. Its a fraction of what normal big titles cost to develop. And the engine was build up from total scratch.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Stalker's visuals are okay. They're not even close to games like The Witcher 2, Crysis, BF3, etc. The tech is not there. Maybe with Stalker 2.. which is left to be seen. Also the content compared to a game like Skyrim - voice actors, writers, artists, bigger core team, and more experienced developers that get paid more than those from Stalker team. Before you show me them Stalker brick textures... eh... you've seen what modders can do so that's nothing. Because a game actually takes everything for it to work... not just hi-res textures and enb series stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Kankaseni1"]

ferret-gamer

Actually it does. Creating more graphically advanced games requires more manpower and hours put into those tasks than creating a game that doesn't have as much emphasis on graphics. Just because there are some developers that can still excel with lower budgets does not change that fact.

BTW Crysis cost 22mil

Yes, but a lot of the models and such are far too weighty for todays hardware. Developers are already creating stuff that is incapable of being run on todays consoles.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="Kankaseni1"]

Heirren

BTW Crysis cost 22mil

Yes, but a lot of the models and such are far too weighty for todays hardware. Developers are already creating stuff that is incapable of being run on todays consoles.

Well, it's obvious console hardware is holding this generation back. Not much to expect from hardware that is several years behind. It's kinda pointless to blame consoles when the hardware is locked in for that entire generation.
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Wow, nice fact gathering. I can say random things and try to make them seem true also.

Actually better graphics cost the least, it costs 10 cents to make skyrim and shovelware on the Wii actually costs 3000 billion dollars to make..

Durp...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="Kankaseni1"]

Heirren

BTW Crysis cost 22mil

I'm not really sure your point. Yes for a while now it has been common practice to create sculpts and high poly versions of a model for mapping information, but modeling the meshes is hardly the only thing involved in creating a game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Actually it does. Creating more graphically advanced games requires more manpower and hours put into those tasks than creating a game that doesn't have as much emphasis on graphics. Just because there are some developers that can still excel with lower budgets does not change that fact.

BTW Crysis cost 22mil

ferret-gamer

I'm not really sure your point. Yes for a while now it has been common practice to create sculpts and high poly versions of a model for mapping information, but modeling the meshes is hardly the only thing involved in creating a game.

No no, I agree. There are things that will change, but for the most part the expensive parts are sort of already in place. Look at games like Uncharted--the sound design is not going to improve much. 7.1LPC? Hopefully that is standard next gen. Out of curiousity, what in your opinion will add to the cost? The only thing I can think of would be Physics.

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
It is a given that games will be more expensive to make when devs make the jump to next gen.
Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
It is a given that games will be more expensive to make when devs make the jump to next gen.exiledsnake
+1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

No no, I agree. There are things that will change, but for the most part the expensive parts are sort of already in place. Look at games like Uncharted--the sound design is not going to improve much. 7.1LPC? Hopefully that is standard next gen. Out of curiousity, what in your opinion will add to the cost? The only thing I can think of would be Physics.

Well next gen, the engines themselves will continue to increase in costs. Advanced engines are very complex and costly to build, and most importantly maintain. As games get more advanced technically there will be a huge strain to make sure all the features work correctly, more features means more stuff that can break. This will cause even amounts of devs licencing engines instead of making their own than we see in this gen dominated by UE3. Creating a new engine that can compete will be harder for the average developer to obtain as time goes on, making it a much more sensible decision to license a proven engine that has already shown it can compete and is relatively stable. Apart from engines, next gen there still will be increases in costs in most things. Physics, detail in levels, animation, etc. But primarily physics. And not just hte physics of bunches of rocks bouncing around, but making other atributes more physically based, animation, lighting, sound, particles, more. And sound can still be improved as well. Sound quality may have reached a peak, but not how sound is generated and interacted with in the game, like animation sound will become more and more impacted by the advancing physics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] I'm not really sure your point. Yes for a while now it has been common practice to create sculpts and high poly versions of a model for mapping information, but modeling the meshes is hardly the only thing involved in creating a game.ferret-gamer

Well next gen, the engines themselves will continue to increase in costs. Advanced engines are very complex and costly to build, and most importantly maintain. As games get more advanced technically there will be a huge strain to make sure all the features work correctly, more features means more stuff that can break. This will cause even amounts of devs licencing engines instead of making their own than we see in this gen dominated by UE3. Creating a new engine that can compete will be harder for the average developer to obtain as time goes on, making it a much more sensible decision to license a proven engine that has already shown it can compete and is relatively stable. Apart from engines, next gen there still will be increases in costs in most things. Physics, detail in levels, animation, etc. But primarily physics. And not just hte physics of bunches of rocks bouncing around, but making other atributes more physically based, animation, lighting, sound, particles, more. And sound can still be improved as well. Sound quality may have reached a peak, but not how sound is generated and interacted with in the game, like animation sound will become more and more impacted by the advancing physics.

I don't know if I agree with that. I mean, this gen, don't a lot of games use the same physics engine? I think cost will actually decrease. I think we are at that turn. For example: 5 years ago it cost 7 grand to buy a DSLR capable of shooting 24p, and have it look good enough to make it into a film(skill involved of course). Today, DSLRs just over $1000 are more capable in the video dept. than the higher end models from a few years ago. I think there comes a time where production becomes cheaper. Devs already have most of the assets required to make these games.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Games cost so much to make as it is, were now seeing innovation returning as costs become affordable. Going next-gen would undo all that.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I've wondered the same thing. The cost will not really increase that much, if at all.

Heirren
how do you know that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Chris_Williams

how do you know that?

It's just the way technology works. A lot of the systems are already in place. Digital cinema/photography is arguably more expensive, initially. However, once you've got the supplies it is incredibly cheaper than film. Studios already have the assets to a make games for next gen.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

how do you know that?

It's just the way technology works. A lot of the systems are already in place. Digital cinema/photography is arguably more expensive, initially. However, once you've got the supplies it is incredibly cheaper than film. Studios already have the assets to a make games for next gen.

ughh, so the last gen games were 50 bucks and this gen they are now 60 bucks and game production cost also increase, so how can you say the cost won't really increase much?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] how do you know that?Chris_Williams

ughh, so the last gen games were 50 bucks and this gen they are now 60 bucks and game production cost also increase, so how can you say the cost won't really increase much?

I already answered that.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

yes it will cost a lot more TO START WITH. As time goes by the methods and materials get faster and cheaper, therefore everything will become cheaper. Games to start with will have a higher selling point, but expect them to drop in price once they have been out for a month or so as development gets cheaper. This is how it has been through out any generation.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

Did the OP say Call of Duty was not a good looking game? Wow the COD hate is ridiculous today. The COD engine is a beast.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts
Well, the videogame industry is evolving faster than the prices of technology are dropping. Additionally, developers are continually trying to top themselves with the next big thing or bigger and better games. This is leading to developing costs skyrocketing, and thus, the risks in developing a full fledged game increase. This causes developers to fall back on tried and true money makers like sequels. In the end, it stifles creativity. On top of that, the consumers may carry some of the burden of the cost when game prices rise. I hope this helps
Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

Stalker's visuals are okay. They're not even close to games like The Witcher 2, Crysis, BF3, etc. The tech is not there. Maybe with Stalker 2.. which is left to be seen. Also the content compared to a game like Skyrim - voice actors, writers, artists, bigger core team, and more experienced developers that get paid more than those from Stalker team. Before you show me them Stalker brick textures... eh... you've seen what modders can do so that's nothing. Because a game actually takes everything for it to work... not just hi-res textures and enb series stuff.Elann2008

You talking about game content that would be there anyways, voice acting, writers, artists, etc. All would have been part of Skyrim if it looked photo-realistic or how it looks like now.

Although I do believe it brings the costs up, game engines do a lot to help streamline the process. But the real reason I believe games cost more is because you open up more possibilities for the artists and creators. I bet you a million bucks that if it wasn't for the limitations of our 5 year old consoles, Skyrim would be much more. In one of the intereviews Bethesda toyed with the idea of waiting till next gen systems if they weren't able to get the game to come close to their original plan. I am sure they left things out...

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

Why do Hermits blame gamers instead of developers?

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

The higher the graphics, the higher the development costs and lowered odds of devs taking a risk innovating and making unique games.

This is the main reason I love the Wii's library, SO many unique titles that wouldn't be available if devs didn't take a chance.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

Technology and software advance, making tasks much more time efficient which opens up more time for other things. Claiming that there is a proportinal increase on graphics and cost is wrong.
What the topic starter said wasn't as stupid as some people make it out to be.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Well.... 2 generations ago games cost 40 dollars the following 50 dollars... and now 60 dollars... so games will cost 70 dollars and DLC's might cost 15 dollars instead of 10 and so on.. so by it's history i would say yes.. things will get more expensive just so they can look prettier.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

also what i spend for a new console is a drop in the bucket compared to what i spend on games so it only makes sense to want next gen to start.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Well.... 2 generations ago games cost 40 dollars the following 50 dollars... and now 60 dollars... so games will cost 70 dollars and DLC's might cost 15 dollars instead of 10 and so on.. so by it's history i would say yes.. things will get more expensive just so they can look prettier.

Joedgabe

what? atari 2600 carts were $50 and there have been plenty of games that were more than that.

super street fighter on snes was $80 at launch. there were also plenty of expensive n64 carts.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Joedgabe
Does everyone forget the SNES and some N64 games cost 60 and 70 dollars like 10-20 years ago? Granted those were carts and cost more to make but now I am sure they are spending more on the development than they use to.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Graphics on a technical level is no longer a selling point to me, because they are generally advancing in the wrong direction: photo realism. I would be highly interested in a next gen console if the games run at 60 fps instead.

If the focus is on visual effects like explosions and they include more collapsing buildings/scene I wouldn't care.

BF3 PC footage wow'ed me yes, on a technical level, but I got bored with the realistic look extremely fast. See I have realized something, graphics does matter, because they can turn me off from a game no matter how good the gameplay is.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

It does increase costs, maybe not by much, but the cost will increase. Esspecially if they are making games ground up and are not using any thing from previous games.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Console games are more polished, more quality control, more time and staff hours put into them. Time is money. Also licensing fee's, the PC is a more open platform.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Console games are more polished, more quality control, more time and staff hours put into them. Time is money. Also licensing fee's, the PC is a more open platform.tomarlyn
and yet the new trend is to sell multiplat games for 59.99 anymore.
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

IEven if it costed 22 million. Its a fraction of what normal big titles cost to develop. And the engine was build up from total scratch.

Kankaseni1

Past tense of cost is..... cost

If english isn't your first language then I apologize, but if it is, then step away from the computer and pick up a book.

The bigger the production the more it costs.... there are exceptions... but few.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

Because it does. The more advanced technology gets, the more expensive it is for the developer.

Which is just another reason i'd love for games next gen to be as this - to keep the core detail from games like Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3, but have them run in 1080p, with 16x AF and some AA.

Clean, crisp and smooth, while having all that core detail. Honestly, games today are very, very detailed, I don't care if they get any better because they don't need to. All games now need is a little cleaning up. And with that, developers could stop focusing on graphics and more on the gameplay atmosphere and story.

I don't know if this will happen but it should.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Console games are more polished, more quality control, more time and staff hours put into them. Time is money. Also licensing fee's, the PC is a more open platform.AutoPilotOn
and yet the new trend is to sell multiplat games for 59.99 anymore.

Assuming you mean american dollars thats pretty cheap compared to the rest of the world.